AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-10, 15:51   Link #1
Dr. Casey

A way to see the Reputation you've received aside from the five most recent?

I'm not a Rep whore or anything, but it does feel nice to read people complimenting what you wrote or proclaiming that they found something you said amusing, touching, thoughtful, or otherwise worthwhile (And it can be amusing to read neg reps sometimes too). The User Control Panel lists the five most recent, but it would be nice to have them all gathered in one place somehow. Just a thought.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-04-10 at 16:04. Reason: please don't bribe people... ^^;
Old 2012-04-10, 16:11   Link #2
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
As a workaround, you can still see rep if you click the rep button for posts you made. But that will only be that post. :S

But yea, I suppose it may be a viable request to ask for a deeper history listing, or for the easily offended to filter the view by green and red.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-04-10, 16:16   Link #3
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, I can say that the historical data for rep does exist in the database, so theoretically it's possible to display it. But vBulletin doesn't have any built-in way to do it other than that list on the UserCP. It is possible to change the number of recent reps to show on the UserCP (like change it to some crazy number like 100,000), but unfortunately it doesn't paginate it, so it would just make the page long and take forever to load for people who've accumulated a lot of rep. So, all that to say, the only sensible way to accomplish this would be a modification of some sort.

I think one of the reasons that the default is 5 is that it's designed to be a bit ephemeral and transient. Particularly when you get bad rep, the idea that it'll scroll out of view after a while is what most people probably want. It also helps people forget about bad rep received in the past, rather than looking back through their history and re-opening old wounds.

So all that to say, what you're proposing is theoretically possible. But I'm not sure if it's worth making the modification right at the moment.
Old 2012-04-10, 17:54   Link #4
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, I can say that the historical data for rep does exist in the database, so theoretically it's possible to display it. But vBulletin doesn't have any built-in way to do it other than that list on the UserCP. It is possible to change the number of recent reps to show on the UserCP (like change it to some crazy number like 100,000), but unfortunately it doesn't paginate it, so it would just make the page long and take forever to load for people who've accumulated a lot of rep. So, all that to say, the only sensible way to accomplish this would be a modification of some sort.

I think one of the reasons that the default is 5 is that it's designed to be a bit ephemeral and transient. Particularly when you get bad rep, the idea that it'll scroll out of view after a while is what most people probably want. It also helps people forget about bad rep received in the past, rather than looking back through their history and re-opening old wounds.
I have to admit that what I put in bold applies to me.

I always find it refreshing when all I see is green, lol.

That being said, I really do like Dr. Casey's idea. It would be neat to sit down one of these days and look back over the full rep history I have here on Anime Suki, just to see which posts were the best-received and which ones earned me the most trouble.
Old 2012-04-10, 18:41   Link #5
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:

So all that to say, what you're proposing is theoretically possible. But I'm not sure if it's worth making the modification right at the moment.
Thanks. I would have expected this fluff system to not be so intricate in its features since well... it's for silly reasons. I'm sure some of us would even love the forum to spit out stats on it too and more shiny features, but time is limited and if it is too much of a hassle, then it may be something to consider the far future, if ever.

The other thing I feel is that many features such as these tend to be "oohh shiny" novelty ones that we mess around with a few times and forget it exists anyways. So in that case it may not be worth the effort at the moment.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-04-10, 20:53   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, the idea would amusing especially when I'm mollifying someone's feelings who got unjustly thrashed by an irate child and show them a stream of the negreps with incoherent comments and perplexing grey ones with no comment I've gotten (did they like it or hate it... we'll never know ).

But it sounds like it would require too much duct tape.
Old 2012-04-10, 21:23   Link #7
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing
I'm sure some of us would even love the forum to spit out stats on it too and more shiny features
True that, though my suggestion is technically more about maximizing warm fuzzies than shininess.

Quote:
That being said, I really do like Dr. Casey's idea. It would be neat to sit down one of these days and look back over the full rep history I have here on Anime Suki, just to see which posts were the best-received and which ones earned me the most trouble.
I would be curious to see how many war scars you received from the Endless Eight War of 2009. I think that was what got you posting regularly at AnimeSuki, if I remember right. I hope you return to the field of battle for Endless Eight War II, if there's ever such a thing.

Ah, I see, relentless. I was hoping there'd be some quick and easy fix, but I'm not surprised there isn't considering that it's an extraneous system (and seems like something that's probably fairly complicated for the vBulletin staff to code to boot). Never mind then.

And I've been wondering about the same point Vexx raised, what's up with those gray Neutral reps? They confuse me. It's not like there's a third option anywhere aside from Like or Dislike.
Old 2012-04-10, 21:30   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... I know what they're about (newbie tries to give pos/neg rep -->recorded as grey), it prevents flash mob registering fly by attacks and makes sure the poster is somewhat committed to the forum.

But as a result, one is left with mysterious grey dots (since many don't comment) that convey no information at all. Sad little grey dots

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-04-10 at 21:41.
Old 2012-04-10, 21:40   Link #9
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Actually, blank grey reps must be positive reps (excluding stuff like "..."), because you must enter a comment for a neg. I just experimented right now So it's silent approval... I think.

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-04-10 at 22:15.
Old 2012-04-10, 21:48   Link #10
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
What about making reputation history an option? If it's largely a matter of not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings then let someone active the feature at his or her own discretion. Of course there's still the technical issues you mentioned but that's paperwork we let the site staff or whatever handle anyway.

The benefits or detriments any feature of any site possesses is always dependent on the person who (ab)uses it anyway.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2012-04-10, 21:50   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Actually, blank grey reps must be positive reps (excluding stuff like "..."), because you must enter a comment for a neg. I just experimented right now. So it's silent approval... I think.
Ah, that's good to know
Old 2012-04-10, 23:47   Link #12
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

I have nothing against this, and it sounds like it will be amusing

Can the administarators also make it so we can see the list of all the rep the user has given to other members?
Old 2012-04-11, 00:21   Link #13
monster

While the idea is nice, I'd be more interested in being able to see the rep comments in the User CP even when invisible.

I don't really care for the point system, but I would still like to know when someone includes a comment with their rep, even if it's only for the last 5 reps.
Old 2012-04-11, 00:33   Link #14
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
While the idea is nice, I'd be more interested in being able to see the rep comments in the User CP even when invisible.
If this is implemented, I'd like the option to not see it if I want, because I don't want to deal with the rep system every time I open up my control panel.
Old 2012-04-11, 00:40   Link #15
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
If this is implemented, I'd like the option to not see it if I want, because I don't want to deal with the rep system every time I open up my control panel.
I can't see it in my CP with my current setting, but can't you already hide it?
Old 2012-04-11, 01:03   Link #16
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
I have nothing against this, and it sounds like it will be amusing

Can the administarators also make it so we can see the list of all the rep the user has given to other members?
Are you proposing that the user could also see a list of the reputation they sent to others? I suppose that's also possible in theory (but also probably not likely for now). Certainly, though, we won't allow you to see anyone else's rep one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Ah, you mean when "Show Your Reputation Level" is turned off. Hmm... again, may require a modification, but I can see where it might be nice in theory to distinguish the two preferences; it'd be nice if there were a "turn the rep system off" preference separate from "hide my rep level from others" (which doesn't actually turn it off). I am guessing the programmers thought that this was a trade-off to encourage people to not hide their rep. Whether that's what we really want or not...

I suppose one option for now, though, is just to briefly turn the "show your rep level" setting on, look at the comments, then turn it back off.

And yeah, you can collapse the section, which should be remembered in your browser thanks to cookies (so if you jump between browsers or computers, or clear your cookies, you'd have to hide it again).
Old 2012-04-11, 01:23   Link #17
monster

Quote:
Ah, you mean when "Show Your Reputation Level" is turned off.
Right, that's what I meant.
Quote:
I am guessing the programmers thought that this was a trade-off to encourage people to not hide their rep. Whether that's what we really want or not...
Probably, although I think a better trade off would be not being able to add/remove someone else's reputation if you hide yours.

Or, even better, if you could actually remove yourself from the rep game. As it stands, you can only choose to be a hidden player.
Quote:
suppose one option for now, though, is just to briefly turn the "show your rep level" setting on, look at the comments, then turn it back off.
Yeah, I think I tried that a few times in the past, but it's kind of pointless to actually do more work when you're not even participating fully in the system.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I knew it had a slim chance of happening, but I just thought I'd brought it up.
Old 2012-04-11, 03:18   Link #18
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Are you proposing that the user could also see a list of the reputation they sent to others? I suppose that's also possible in theory (but also probably not likely for now). Certainly, though, we won't allow you to see anyone else's rep one way or another.
Yes that's what I meant. For a user to see all rep comments he has given and a name of people ha has given them.

Also can you (if possible) change the rep system, so we can see our own reputation power?
Old 2012-04-11, 03:34   Link #19
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Yes that's what I meant. For a user to see all rep comments he has given and a name of people ha has given them.

Also can you (if possible) change the rep system, so we can see our own reputation power?
Wouldn't that depend on who we're giving rep?
Old 2012-04-11, 03:44   Link #20
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
I thought bars under our names = rep power?
MAL
Closed Thread