AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 176 57.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 83 27.30%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 8.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 2.96%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 2.30%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.33%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.33%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-06, 11:58   Link #141
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
there's only one explanation why people give this show a high rating....

it's because they don't marathon the show... lol

all of my friends also said there's nothing special from this anime after watch it all in one go
I've watched it three times, twice when the show had ended.

While watching it in one go kills the surprise element, knowing what's to come only made me understand the story even more and gave me more room to explore the characters themselves. In fact, it was said (I believe by Shinbou himself) that watching all the episode prior to episode 10 again was mandatory to understand what exactly was going on, and I can't help but agree with that, as only then did we see hints that tied some elements together later on, like what Homura's true power was, what she's been going through and how that all related to Madoka.

I think your friend simply didn't like it from the get-go and sought an excuse that would make other people feel the same way.
Old 2012-05-06, 17:42   Link #142
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I've watched it three times, twice when the show had ended.

While watching it in one go kills the surprise element, knowing what's to come only made me understand the story even more and gave me more room to explore the characters themselves. In fact, it was said (I believe by Shinbou himself) that watching all the episode prior to episode 10 again was mandatory to understand what exactly was going on, and I can't help but agree with that, as only then did we see hints that tied some elements together later on, like what Homura's true power was, what she's been going through and how that all related to Madoka.

I think your friend simply didn't like it from the get-go and sought an excuse that would make other people feel the same way.
same.... I think if you rewatch it, it will help you to gain more understanding about the story... (I have re-watched for 3 times too I think)

it's not only my friend...
you can check it in this thread
after the series ended, most people who watch it all in one day give a low rating and talk about this is an incomplete anime or something like that

I remember when we were still following this anime since it first aired... discussing about 'you know what' scene in ep 3, Sayaka's fate, Homura's true identity, and Kyubey's 'villain' part
yeah! you also can't forget about the waiting part for 1 month because of Japan's earthquake (damn! it's my birthday...)
that's when Madoka's discussion and rating rocketed up because of ending's speculation
for me, I got a hard time to understand every part in this anime... luckily, I'm following every discussions here and I'm falling in love with this anime (one of the best I ever watched... and maybe the best 12-episode anime too)

well, that's all my opinion
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 18:33   Link #143
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Can't see low ratings for "most people in this thread" and in other sites:
AS:
Painful: 1

Myanimelist:
Don't need to calculate:
33.5% (15462 votes)
29.7% (13710 votes)
20.8% (9571 votes)
9.4% (4321 votes)
3.4% (1561 votes)
-------
1.6% (754 votes)
0.7% (342 votes)
0.3% (129 votes)
0.2% (94 votes)
0.3% (158 votes)

ANN:
People: 1438
Masterpiece: 596 votes (sub:540, dub:16, raw:13, ?:3, others:24)
Excellent: 363 votes (sub:333, dub:8, raw:4, ?:1, others:17)
Very good: 227 votes (sub:206, dub:8, raw:1, ?:1, others:11)
Good: 191 votes (sub:187, dub:2, raw:1, others:1)
Decent: 61 votes (sub:55, dub:4, others:2)
-----------------------------
People: 82
So-so: 35 votes (sub:33, dub:2)
Not really good: 14 votes (sub:14)
Weak: 9 votes (sub:9)
Bad: 8 votes (sub:8)
Awful: 3 votes (sub:3)
Worst ever: 13 votes (sub:10, dub:3)

Incomplete anime. Probably.
Watched it in one go in subs. Will repeat in dubs.
Old 2012-05-07, 08:07   Link #144
woxx

Who cares about high ratings, while it got uber high sales
woxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 18:14   Link #145
Digital_Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It's a criticism I find myself struggling to understand. Maybe for Mami, since her role is limited to the beginning and end of the show, but otherwise I'm not really seeing how the character development was weak or bland (or as some assert, nonexistent).
I can't speak for others, but I wasn't talking about the character development per se. I was talking about characterization. How the writer conveys the characters' personalities, in other words.

I felt that the characters were more like lifeless puppets being dragged along by the plot more than anything else.

As for character development, well the show does share stereotypes with other series of its kind. You have Madoka the peace loving girl who cries, Mami the kind senpai, Sayaka the genki girl, etc.

If they did get developed beyond their type, it was either pretty late into the show and/or not enough to make them feel like human beings to me.

Mami was never really developed beyond her type before she was killed.

Kyouko and Sayaka did get time to shine in the middle episodes, though they still felt like puppets rather than human beings.

Homura did get developed, but it didn't happen until episode 10. The last quarter of the show. Meaning she spent 75% of the show being a vague and boring "mysterious girl".

Madoka was the weakest of the lot. She spent most of the show being fed back-story, being told what to do and crying when bad stuff happens. That part at the end where she decided to take things into her own hands and make a wish hardly saves her.
Old 2012-05-07, 19:17   Link #146
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

The fast way to explain Madoka's weakness
Old 2012-05-08, 10:45   Link #147
MartianMage

Like I said better off not trying to understand. I just read the whole post and I'm honestly confused how the characters were "lifeless puppets."

I mean no offense Digital Love but as one of the viewers who shed tears for this show I cannot fathom how I felt emotional for "lifeless puppets" if that was really the case.

I'll just chalk it up to different tastes really.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 11:00   Link #148
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
@bhl88: that's a wonderful summary.

Quote:
You have Madoka the peace loving girl who cries
the girl brought up to think about others and want to do something useful in this life (word of god stated that without the whole magical girl mess in her life, she'd probably join some scout/volunteer organisation and find where to apply herself to). Who cries because she gets more and more reasons to.

Quote:
Mami the kind senpai
the kind senpai who's all the more kind because she's so damn happy to become a senpai AT ALL. For a lonely teenage girl who lost her parents and can't have a proper social life due to constantly hunting living nightmares... As Robert Asprin quoted Quazimodo, "I need all the friends I can get".

Quote:
Sayaka the genki girl
the genki girl who's not so genki when it comes to her crush (as many a normal girl would be), who has a stronger belief in justice than in herself, and who crumbles under the weight of reality of her new life and losing the reasons to live such a life for.

Like I said, some people can't find good characterization in the show and sympathize with the characters. Others apparently CAN. And the world rolls on.
Old 2012-05-14, 16:43   Link #149
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I was really, really, really apprehensive about watching this anime because of the amount of hype surrounding it. Hype, if something doesn't live up to it, can backfire horribly.

Which makes it a relief that Puella Magi Madoka Magica was very good. At times, it was even great. My only complaint about the series was that Madoka and Homura were not developed as much as Sayaka and Kyoko. Then again, that fault is still quite good and everything else about the anime from the storytelling to the technical execution was on point. More thoughts below...
Spoiler for Length:
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 05:57   Link #150
Snork
Twilight lander

Nice review there.

Quote:
My only complaint about the series was that Madoka and Homura were not developed as much as Sayaka and Kyoko.
I believe the movies may fix that.
Old 2012-05-15, 12:58   Link #151
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
Nice review there.
Why thank you~
Quote:
I believe the movies may fix that.
But I want to beg the question: is the movie going to be a retelling of the series or a sequel or finale of sorts?

If the Madoka movie is the former then I think it's just a matter of Gen Urobuchi recreating what he did here without taking the focus away from any characters but obviously adding on to Kaname and Akemi. Although to be honest I'm not sure if it's going to hold up as well as the TV series did.

If the Madoka movie is the latter then I'm wondering how the film is going to develop Kaname and Akemi considering how the show ended.

I guess only time will tell (hey wait, did we have a conversation like this in a previous lifetime? ).
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 13:21   Link #152
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

1st and 2nd are retellings. 3rd is a new story
Old 2012-05-15, 23:04   Link #153
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Now that is a high quality review. Very nice indeed. To clarify about the movies, the first two are a retelling of the anime, but the third is a direct sequel to the anime.
Old 2012-05-18, 14:26   Link #154
Snork
Twilight lander

There are also abounding hints and rumours that:

a) the retellings may elaborate on the events of ep 10, especially the first timeline
b) Magica Quartet may throw in some other details, animating something from Mami or Kyouko's past, or maybe even a sneak peak at Oriko timeline or something else.

Since it's also Magica Trolltet, both points need heavy confirmation material. But it's always good to dream.

I'm also stocking up on tissues for the sequel. Gen said he's satisfied with the script he's written, which means a lot of characters might die. And there's nobody to rewind time for them now.
Old 2012-06-22, 06:59   Link #155
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Not sure where to put this but:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/r...a-magica/vol-3

I actually laughed out loud at this because I found it so ironic that Zac, out of anyone on ANN, gave it an A+ rating. Oh, it's fully deserved, but this guy is so notorious as an hater (and the fact he's given out two A+s this year which I never ever ever seen before) that I found it hilarious.

He should probably watch Steins Gate next, the other god-tier anime from 2011.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 16:04   Link #156
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Not sure where to put this but:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/r...a-magica/vol-3

I actually laughed out loud at this because I found it so ironic that Zac, out of anyone on ANN, gave it an A+ rating. Oh, it's fully deserved, but this guy is so notorious as an hater (and the fact he's given out two A+s this year which I never ever ever seen before) that I found it hilarious.

He should probably watch Steins Gate next, the other god-tier anime from 2011.
Right now beats the record for the last two volumes in terms of posts.

The first time he saw Puella Magi Madoka Magica... he graded the story "WHATEVERRRR" and the visuals 5.

Last edited by bhl88; 2012-06-22 at 21:53.
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 15:45   Link #157
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

when i first found out the series i was confused, how cute magic girls would have combined with genres like thriller and psychological,

when i saw the series i was surprised and got hooked up on it right from the first episode and watched the whole series in one sitting
the plot was very good, the art and the music was great,
the show was thrilling and exciting escpecially when there were confrontations between the magic girls
the story of every magic girl was good and Sayaka's line was the most depressing how it ended, so were the story lines of other magic girls
i was getting unsure of kyubey's existence, but then it was a creature from other world or other realm.

Homura was the one who suffered the most, repeating the same things again and again but reaching to no success, Madoka was destined to be a magic girl, even though she tried to stop it everytime,and how every cycle changed her so much

the emotions and the drama were nicely portrayed

overall great series

[mod edit/merged double post]
about my comment on kyubey, what i meant was that in the beginning, there was no clue to what it was where that creature came from and why was fulfilling wishes of girls to make them magic girl, and how did he find them, however it was later on revealed what it was, that's all

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-28 at 15:48. Reason: Please don't respond to rep or double-post
mystogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 11:08   Link #158
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Madoka gets an 8/10 from my point of view. First short anime series I've watched in a while, so it was definitely good enough to get my attention. The story itself was intriguing and I enjoyed the Faustian undertones present throughout. Rather than reiterate the good points of a clearly well-loved series I'll point out my few detracting factors:

Predictable - The series was very predictable, which in and of itself is not a bad thing (Maison Ikkoku being one of my favorite series), but I do not get the impression it wanted you to have everything figured out before they revealed things to you. I had surmised that Homura was a time-traveler, using Kyubey's wish to accomplish this feat, very early on. Kyubey was quite obviously a 'villainous' creature from the first episode - the foreshadowing came on a bit strong in my opinion.

Characterization - Only one problem here, but it was rather glaring... Kyoko and Sayaka sure did pull a rather unjustified 180 in their antagonism/friendship. Guess I'll chalk that one up to not having enough time.

The setting - I am an open minded individual, but the magical girl element only served to detract from the series, in my opinion. The story could have been given a more serious cast and set of powers and still portray the same message. Of course, part of this one has to do with the target audience, but this is my personal viewpoint. It's just a little bit too silly for me.

The ending - Deus ex machina... The demon bit made very little sense in this rewritten world, as well. I hesitate to say I wanted a bad ending for the characters, but having Madoka destroy the world and Homura turn into a witch would have been a more palatable ending than this - some things can't be changed.

Despite these problems, I enjoyed the series quite thoroughly, thus it gets a thumbs up from me.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 20:33   Link #159
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Madoka gets an 8/10 from my point of view. First short anime series I've watched in a while, so it was definitely good enough to get my attention. The story itself was intriguing and I enjoyed the Faustian undertones present throughout. Rather than reiterate the good points of a clearly well-loved series I'll point out my few detracting factors:

Predictable - The series was very predictable, which in and of itself is not a bad thing (Maison Ikkoku being one of my favorite series), but I do not get the impression it wanted you to have everything figured out before they revealed things to you. I had surmised that Homura was a time-traveler, using Kyubey's wish to accomplish this feat, very early on. Kyubey was quite obviously a 'villainous' creature from the first episode - the foreshadowing came on a bit strong in my opinion.

Characterization - Only one problem here, but it was rather glaring... Kyoko and Sayaka sure did pull a rather unjustified 180 in their antagonism/friendship. Guess I'll chalk that one up to not having enough time.

The setting - I am an open minded individual, but the magical girl element only served to detract from the series, in my opinion. The story could have been given a more serious cast and set of powers and still portray the same message. Of course, part of this one has to do with the target audience, but this is my personal viewpoint. It's just a little bit too silly for me.

The ending - Deus ex machina... The demon bit made very little sense in this rewritten world, as well. I hesitate to say I wanted a bad ending for the characters, but having Madoka destroy the world and Homura turn into a witch would have been a more palatable ending than this - some things can't be changed.

Despite these problems, I enjoyed the series quite thoroughly, thus it gets a thumbs up from me.
I largely agree with you on the characterization criticism, although I'm not sure what Sayaka did that was odd. Kyouko basically went from wanting to kill Sayaka to wanting to be Sayaka's BFF... overnight. Yeah, that was hard to swallow. However, the way Sayaka rolled with it seemed reasonable to me, short of maybe her forcing the issue with Kyouko (though I can understand why Sayaka would choose not to).

However, as for your other criticisms...

How were these characters "non-serious"? Mami, Sayaka, Kyouko, and Homura all struck me as deathly serious. Mami made no bones about how she risks her life to fight witches. Sayaka made no pretension over how her and Kyouko were seriously trying to kill each other. Kyouko was firm in her philosophy and clearly willing to severely maim if not kill another Puella Magi to adhere to it. And Homura risked her own life (and the lives of others) to try to save Madoka.

Madoka was the only one who needed to "get real" for awhile, and in the end, Madoka took things very seriously indeed.

Now, set of powers...

Muskets, Hand-guns, Swords, Spear, Bow and Arrow, Heavy Conventional Arms... I mean, these are all real world weapons, for crying out loud. Just somewhat amplified by magical power.

The more fantastical powers were time-stop, binds, and healing.

Honestly, you found this non-serious and hard to swallow? It's no harder to swallow than your average Superman comic book.

Also, I'll never understand how somebody could view this ending as Deus ex Machina. It's not like the wish system, and Madoka's high magical potential, wasn't known from the second episode! Even before the finale aired, I speculated that a well-worded wish by Madoka may well resolve the major conflicts of this anime, and lo and behold, it does.

It's not a deus ex machina when something that's a well-established and commonly referenced plot device actually does what it's supposed to in order to resolve the story.

Your suggested bad ending is what I would have found truly horrible, and a real condemnation of Madoka's character and intellect. Given all the time and knowledge she had to work with, she should come up with a good wish! I'm very glad that we got the ending that we did. It makes perfectly good sense in-story.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-12-01 at 20:55.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 10:25   Link #160
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I don't mind fantastical, Superman like powers (hell, I'm a comic book fan. I think they have more of a balance than these anime where the only super-powered people are 13 year old girls... Every type in superhero comics has powers, girls, boys, aliens, with men and women at the helm primarily... but that's a subject for another thread I suppose).

I just can't get into this whole little girls saving the world in super serious situations thing. I know most anime fans like it. I just don't. It didn't stop me from enjoying the series, but like I said, I can't help but find it silly. Maybe I'm just an old-school macho guy, I don't know, but it's not really something I can debate with you since it's a completely subjective, knee-jerk reaction on my part (it is akin to trying to debate why my favorite color is green as opposed to red). Regardless, I worked around it and have with other series in the past because I won't let my personal feelings of what is "cool" get in the way of a good story.

I did somewhat predict this ending, like you said, and I guess it works 'in story'. We can get semantical about the meaning of the deus ex machina phrase, but I don't care about the exact meaning of that phrase (perhaps I used it incorrectly) so much as my enjoyment. I didn't enjoy seeing everything peeled away and rewritten with essentially no effort. It felt very anti-climactic to me. I couldn't help but shake my head a bit in disapproval.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka magica