AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-25, 16:49   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Aquarion EVOL - Character Discussion - Amata

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Amata related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Aquarion EVOL fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.
  • Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.
  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.
  • Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
    • Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-03-25 at 17:04.
Old 2012-03-26, 12:18   Link #2
Zuul

I find him bland and generic.

He has as much as personnality as an otome game heroine, which means almost none. I suppose it's to make him the more relatable possible. But it doesn't work on me at all.

Oh well he does have a definite trait. The overwhelming cheesyness. He has quite often those extremelly stupid corny lines that make me facepalm. Such as "It's alright, if it's my body and not my hearth."
Unintentionnally hillarious.

He's fairly competent, I'll give you that, but I'm tired of seeing him being in all the gattai, while a superior dude like Andy is denied it.

Another thing I find annoying is his saying amen to whatever BS Mikono's come up with, going as far as apologizing for thing he isn't responsible of. It makes both him and Mikono look bad.

To end up on a positive note : his mysterious background is interesting, but I still wonder if it can make up for his personnality. And I suppose that he actually know what he wants while many of similar characters are undecisive. Which at least makes him ahead of most of the harem leads.

Last edited by Zuul; 2012-03-26 at 12:29.
Old 2012-03-26, 14:22   Link #3
Thess

I don't think he's generic. He's a nice guy who is actually strong and is able to shake off his angst rather than be drowned in it, that's a rarity nowadays. He's a nice person and (unlike Otome heroines) his heart is set in one woman.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2012-03-26, 14:52   Link #4
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

Besides, sometimes he's a bit snarky, and that's an OK in my book. In fact, I like him the most. Andy and Amata are my favs in this show. Both of them are cute and kind in their ways.
Old 2012-03-26, 16:17   Link #5
LastOrder
Om nom nom nom
*Artist

He's emotionally strong, he has a good heart and he's gentle. And he's adorable and awkward, He's adorable and I love him lots.

At least, he's nothing like Shu from Guilty Crown, whom I somewhat disliked.
Old 2012-03-27, 05:52   Link #6
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

A warm heart, has heart set on one woman, protects and loves comrades, and isn't at all stuck-up, pretentious or malicious. He has my vote just on that. But he's also cute as both a child and adult. He has brain unlike most lead characters in anime. He doesn't let emotions get to him. He's not emo at all. But he's gentle towards mostly everyone. He shows a general concern for certain enemies (like wondering who they are or if they've died/been injured) when they don't show up or give the group a reprieve. Despite the talk about reincarnations, I like Amata as a character even still, because his personality is the type that goes far.

All in all, he is nothing like past male anime characters I've come across with the exception of one that shall remained nameless. (Hint, it is an anime from 1996 with 95 episodes.) And even that male character had an attitude when it was necessary.
Old 2012-03-27, 07:28   Link #7
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

Amata is... very quirky.
Sometimes he adorkable, others he's "Oh gods" *Covers face with embarrassment*

He does seem to be hopelessly naive.
His relationship with Mikono seems to be like some sort of innocent love, which... makes it seem pretty shallow.

I've found his personality much more entertaining in the first few episodes. (probably because of the whole 'trying to fit in with the world thing')

Right now, I feel like his character development has come to a grinding halt, cause right now, he already has all he ever wanted. *cough* mikono.

Currently, he's a pretty average character. His interactions with the rest of the cast seems to make or break him.
Old 2012-03-28, 05:54   Link #8
kuromitsu

Amata, oh Amata. He's my favorite character in the show. He may not seem like a very complex character and he's definitely not treated as such so far, but I think he's much better off for it. From the entire cast he he's the one who feels the most "real" to me, powers notwithstanding.

I love that he's not the hot-headed, arrogant, "DOWN WITH AUTHORITY I MAKE MY OWN RULES" type character we usually get in these shows. He's nice and gentle without taking it too far - he doesn't look for conflict but is not the sort that goes around forgiving enemies and avoiding fighting. And while he is a bit naive and awkward he's not stupid at all. As Zaresh said he can be pretty snarky, and while he doesn't have a huge attitude he's not a pushover. He's strong and determined when he needs to be, and while he has his moments of angst about his past and his mom he's pretty good at dealing with it instead of wallowing in it which is a huge plus. And I like that despite everything he's really serious about Mikono without his feelings wandering all over the place. Also, he's really cute and adorable. Awww.

As with Mikono the way he's being treated by the writers is really not doing him any justice, but since he's the main character I expect more focus on him in the second half. After all, there are still mysteries about him waiting to be explained.
Old 2012-03-28, 10:19   Link #9
miketyson

What I like about Amata is his cheesy lines. For whatever reason I just find them incredibly endearing (not effective, per se, but all the more endearing just for that reason). Everything else I'd have to say about him so far has already been said here.
Old 2012-03-29, 03:03   Link #10
Misslaly

I like him not a lot since I prefer Kagura (Kagura does overshadow him sometimes)
Old 2012-03-29, 11:18   Link #11
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
What I like about Amata is his cheesy lines. For whatever reason I just find them incredibly endearing (not effective, per se, but all the more endearing just for that reason). Everything else I'd have to say about him so far has already been said here.
They work on Mikono at least. XD
Old 2012-03-30, 07:16   Link #12
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Mind you, it takes alot of courage to say some of those things
Old 2012-03-30, 07:27   Link #13
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

I will use my wings to fly beyond destiny!

THERE. I AM NOW COURAGEOUS. *Puffs chest with pride*
Old 2012-03-30, 07:30   Link #14
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingturkey View Post

Oh yeah, you're definitely a big man now typing it on the internet... (>.>);
Old 2012-03-30, 07:30   Link #15
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I want Amata for Mikono.

Amata is gentle and nice.

Kagura is scary and violent.
Old 2012-04-01, 20:02   Link #16
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingturkey View Post

Don't you know Kagura.... victory goes...... TO THE COURAGEOUS!!!!!
Old 2012-04-05, 08:31   Link #17
Sixth
Hu Tao

From what I see, Amata is a main character, but not the hero. Just like FFXII Vaan. So far, he isn't doing anything amazing or special. Even his flight power is underwhelming.
Old 2012-04-05, 12:12   Link #18
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
From what I see, Amata is a main character, but not the hero. Just like FFXII Vaan. So far, he isn't doing anything amazing or special. Even his flight power is underwhelming.
Just like everyone in the cast, maybe? And, in fact, he had some damn cool moments, like the first mugen punch, the awakening of Aquarion EVOL, those cheesy but cute confession scenes with Mikono, those two times when he rescued Mikono with his wings and DAT flying hug with the movie behind. Maybe he's not a Kamina, but he's doing merits to become a Simon (and thus, a hero). It's just a matter of time that the plot revolves more around him (at this point, one would say the hero is Mikono, but...).
Old 2012-04-11, 22:11   Link #19
MayumiAoki

He is adorkable and cute and the best part is that he is voiced by the cutie seiyuu Yuuki Kaji >A>
Old 2012-04-12, 15:22   Link #20
Zuul

I'm not the biggest Amata fan here, but seeing him getting beaten so badly to buy some time for Mikono(ep 15) really made me feel sad.

And a little angry at Kagura.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters