AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 35 28.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 34.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 26.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 8.20%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.64%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-18, 16:21   Link #61
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Ranka singing to the hill.

Macross 7 reference right there.

(Basara singing to move the mountain)

also not worried about Cathy, she'll come round eventually.

Dammn politic desk jockey will £$% things up, just you wait, i mean look at him. he has KONOYAROU written all over his face.

probably issue selfish orders and/or caught cheating. just you wait.
Old 2008-04-18, 20:50   Link #62
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Speaking of which, the place Ranka and Alto met is probably a replica of Griffith Observatory.

It's a nice touch I think.

As for the episode, the last quarter gave me Macross Plus vibes.
Dude, if you watched carefully, it even says Griffith Observatory on the building.
Old 2008-04-19, 09:52   Link #63
Aquifina

Judging by the raw, and the plot summary I read at Random Curiosity, I suppose the bickering between Sheryl and Alto is supposed to be part of the triangle. The whole couple who hate each other at first, but later fall in love business. Right now, though, there seems to be a lot more chemistry between Alto and Ranka, although without subs, I can't really judge for sure. Alto seems to be an unhappy dude--frustrated at his own sense of powerlessness, and hounded by his past--and presumably the break with his father and family left blood on the floor. But Ranka actually is able to get a genuine smile out of him. That really was a nice scene at the end of the ep., even if I couldn't understand the actual dialogue. In Sheryl's favor, I suppose, her can-do attitude does match Alto's aggressiveness in some ways, unless I suppose one thinks relationships where the characters complement rather than duplicate each other make more sense. Anyhow, we'll see how it goes.

Lastly, it seems that Ranka's character is now getting more depth, beyond the general air of charming cuteness. That's a welcome development for the series in the long term, I think.
Old 2008-04-19, 16:22   Link #64
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But it does make you wonder why Ranka is being investigated and what else is in that file?

And why were the others investigated?
Old 2008-04-19, 16:39   Link #65
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But it does make you wonder why Ranka is being investigated and what else is in that file?

And why were the others investigated?
Definitely.

For example, this is obviously not the first time these sorts of aliens have attacked humans, but the previous attack was obviously kept classified for whatever reason. And one wonders if this has something to do with Ranka's Zentradi heritage. And Ozma obviously has a history of some sort with the LT. Furthermore, as others have pointed out, Ranka's voice has some kind of effect on the aliens. Is that why she survived, while the rest of her family did not? And what exactly is the significance of those blood tests? Plenty of material to be dealt with in future episodes. The same goes with Alto--we still haven't gotten substantial details of how he left his family's kabuki business.

My instincts are still that Ranka and Alto will be the eventual couple. Sheryl is also being fleshed out as a character with her aggressive attitude, but Ranka's connection to the aliens seems to make her more significant to the plot. And the chemistry between her and Alto seems to go well beyond the whole guy saving damsel in distress business. Without the sub, I couldn't really follow the dialog, but at the observatory, you see Alto in his usual state of adolescent frustration, and then he hears Ranka singing. Next thing you know, he's smiling and seemingly content, and shortly after that he joins SMS, where he will presumably find the sense of purpose and strength he's been looking for. I'm *certain* Alto and Sheryl will get more face time, and she *will* become a serious contender in the love triangle, but Ranka just seems to have such a drastic league. And it seems to go beyond the lead Minmei had in SDF Macross at the same point in the series. But I, of course, could be wrong.
Old 2008-04-19, 16:48   Link #66
Westlo
Lets be reality

I really don't see the girl who is more significant to the plot of the show also getting the guy and this applies to Sheryl as well if for some reason she ends up being more important in dealing with the Varja than Ranka. If Ranka or Sheryl is the main plot mover for the show and also gets Alto whats that leave for the other girl? Character development and a cookie? I'm sure both girls will get a good ending in this show, no Macross Plus ending for the loser of the triangle. Also Alto has good chemistry with both girls at this point not just Ranka. You can just about see the sparks flying between him and Sheryl and that will only increase in future episodes. Sheryl's the underdog at this point but so was Misa when she started to make a move.

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-04-19 at 17:00.
Old 2008-04-19, 17:31   Link #67
orion

But Sheryl has no reason to make any moves. She's a superstar and can have anybody. Unless Alto is a rich heir in disguise, it's more likely she's either going to use him for a 1 stop stand and move on or basically not do anything with the guy and move on.

Alto and Ranka do have that chemistry going in the first few minutes of this episode and that observatory scene. A lot of effort was put into those scenes by the animators to make us feel that way. Now if anything develops, it's up to the animators.

Does anyone else think that Michael may have some feelings for Ranka also?
Old 2008-04-19, 17:37   Link #68
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Quote:
But Sheryl has no reason to make any moves. She's a superstar and can have anybody. Unless Alto is a rich heir in disguise, it's more likely she's either going to use him for a 1 stop stand and move on or basically not do anything with the guy and move on.
well is you love some one you ll move, so love is not about position and influence
Old 2008-04-19, 17:40   Link #69
Westlo
Lets be reality

Why would Sheryl care about money which she's rich and famous in the first place? Though seeing the massive poster of Alto's father in episode 3 I'm sure he will inherit a fair portion anyway. As for why Sheryl would make a move.. I bet she hasn't had anyone talk to her like Alto has in a long time and the return of the earring gives them another reason to interact. Those two things alone will more than likely make her interested and/or start falling for Alto. Also I don't think you've seen/read enough romance anime/manga to realize that lots of romances start out in a similar vein to Sheryl and Alto.
Old 2008-04-19, 17:49   Link #70
Westlo
Lets be reality

AiA & I-Z sub for 03 is out btw.
Old 2008-04-19, 17:55   Link #71
Cadorna

thanks westlo, yeah the tipical tsundere relationship
Old 2008-04-19, 18:38   Link #72
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Also I don't think you've seen/read enough romance anime/manga to realize that lots of romances start out in a similar vein to Sheryl and Alto.
Oh sure, I definitely agree with that.

Nevertheless, there seemed to be some kind of fundamental connection between the usually grumpy Alto and Ranka in this ep.--it just felt to be something far more substantive than the tsundere bickering between Alto and Sheryl. That latter by comparison just seems so... cliche. IIRC, when Minmei and Hikaru first started dating, much of it seemed to be driven by him saving her, and the time they spent together trapped in the ship. Obviously, with Ranka, there's also a damsel in distress dynamic, but the connection between her and Alto seems to work on an emotional level as much as anything else. And Alto was interested in Ranka *before* he had to save her.

But no doubt about it; I'm sure Sheryl will get her quality time with Alto, and will form a plausible leg to the triangle. But I think the writers are giving as lots of flags early for a reason. Only time will tell, I suppose...
Old 2008-04-19, 19:28   Link #73
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Finally. I'm loving AiA's work.
Old 2008-04-19, 19:32   Link #74
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Also I don't think you've seen/read enough romance anime/manga to realize that lots of romances start out in a similar vein to Sheryl and Alto.
Uh, I've been watching this anime and reading manga a lot longer than you think.

Yeah, Sheryl's a tsundere and so is Alto. The setup in this episode is for Ranka x Alto but that can change. Hopefully not, since a double tsundere relationship is not a good thing and he did have such a nice content smile with Ranka.

Anyways, what do you think that Ranka is hiding? She even admits to hiding something. Those flashbacks from episode 1 suggested that she does remember something.
Old 2008-04-19, 19:40   Link #75
ChronoReverse

Good episode. It doesn't quite reach the stratosphere so I'll give it a solid 8.

Man, 1 on 1 in space against the Red is really tough.
Old 2008-04-19, 19:42   Link #76
orion

Blowing the head off didn't work either. So, then the pilot is in the chest section?
Old 2008-04-19, 19:46   Link #77
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Is it confirmed that there's a pilot in these things?
Old 2008-04-19, 19:51   Link #78
Cadorna

no, it isn't. it s a suposition based in the red thing surviving the blow in the head
Old 2008-04-19, 19:52   Link #79
Westlo
Lets be reality

lol @ Sheryl teasing Alto about her being his "inspiration" for later that night. Good episode I'll give it an 8.

Quote:
Uh, I've been watching this anime and reading manga a lot longer than you think.
If you've seen so much Orion why do you keep saying stuff like "Sheryl is too old" when you should know that has no real bearing. You also seem bewildered as to why Sheryl would be interested in Alto when if you've seen so much surely you would've come across similar situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
Oh sure, I definitely agree with that.

Nevertheless, there seemed to be some kind of fundamental connection between the usually grumpy Alto and Ranka in this ep.--it just felt to be something far more substantive than the tsundere bickering between Alto and Sheryl. That latter by comparison just seems so... cliche. IIRC, when Minmei and Hikaru first started dating, much of it seemed to be driven by him saving her, and the time they spent together trapped in the ship. Obviously, with Ranka, there's also a damsel in distress dynamic, but the connection between her and Alto seems to work on an emotional level as much as anything else. And Alto was interested in Ranka *before* he had to save her.
I don't think Sheryl's character has allowed her to get good quality time like Ranka has had with Alto so far, that will change.

Quote:
But no doubt about it; I'm sure Sheryl will get her quality time with Alto, and will form a plausible leg to the triangle. But I think the writers are giving as lots of flags early for a reason.
I would say something but it involves a manga spoiler + episode title spoilers for 5 and 6, check the Sheryl thread if you want to discuss the episode title spoilers. As for early flags... it's not just how you start but how you finish!

As for your Ranka being the lead female comment earlier (I have no idea why Sheryl is listed 2nd in the credits since Ranka has had way more screen time) you can look at Shuffle, Ichigo 100% and the original Macross itself to see that it doesn't assure anything.

Quote:
Only time will tell, I suppose...
Yep yep... anyway time for a romance thread really soon.
Old 2008-04-19, 20:03   Link #80
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
Definitely.

For example, this is obviously not the first time these sorts of aliens have attacked humans, but the previous attack was obviously kept classified for whatever reason. And one wonders if this has something to do with Ranka's Zentradi heritage. And Ozma obviously has a history of some sort with the LT. Furthermore, as others have pointed out, Ranka's voice has some kind of effect on the aliens. Is that why she survived, while the rest of her family did not? And what exactly is the significance of those blood tests?
The New UN Spacy is perhaps thinking along the lines of a Anima Spiritia like Nikki Basara or if the records survived Earth's annahilation the genetic similarity to the people of Mayan island where the Protoculture birdman was buried.

I've said before that the biotech and beam weaponry of the Varja is reminiscent of the Birdman.

Added the fact the spiral markings of the Vajra resemble those rocks on Mayan island.
Closed Thread