AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-08-08, 02:44   Link #18221
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Low-Wisdom characters can be based around 'forgetful', but I've mostly seem them as 'insane', 'lacking common sense' and 'oblivious', all of which Haruhi is.
Haruhi rarely forgets anything, isn't really all that insane, has been shown to possess quite a bit of common sense, and I've already said how I feel about arguing over the oblivious part.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 02:47   Link #18222
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I was trying to imply that Haruhi isn't forgetful.

And Haruhi only has common sense insofar that she can't accept the existence of witches the supernatural. She's still socially inept, and doesn't understand things that any normal person would.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 02:58   Link #18223
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
Quote:
I don't know if social skills should be under Cha or Wis... probably Cha, you're right.

...Maybe Haruhi and Sasaki have the exact same stats?
It sounds right if we consider each of them the nemesis of the other. Maybe it could be argued that Sasaki's conformist behaviour is not a sign of wisdom, since she'd be pleasing others instead of herself.
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 03:02   Link #18224
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Not only does social ineptitude not reflect wisdom(that'd be charisma), she does improve as the story goes on.

As for not understanding things a normal person would... that's... really something I can't argue. But by that same logic, Yuki would also have to possess a low Wis.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-08-08, 03:06   Link #18225
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Not only does social ineptitude not reflect wisdom(that'd be charisma), she does improve as the story goes on.
She put a point into it when she hit level 4.

I'm not so sure about social ineptitude being tied to Cha... of course, the book does NOT explain Wis and Cha well.

You're probably right though... but then, her force of personality is so overwhelming that she clearly has to have ridiculously high Cha.

Maybe she took the flaw "Oblivious Social Retard" at first level for an extra feat or something.
Old 2009-08-08, 05:53   Link #18226
Jintor

So at the Con today I saw a Kyonko/Itsuki doujin. Do I buy for $5 despite the fact that I despise the pairing?
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 06:10   Link #18227
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
So at the Con today I saw a Kyonko/Itsuki doujin. Do I buy for $5 despite the fact that I despise the pairing?
...I wouldn't say so. Not a very good pairing, either.

Spoiler for September the Fourth, Day 3, Universe 1: Clubroom- Revenge:

That was longer than I expected.

The "Revenge" variable can now be found in Male CSP's scene on Day 1.

Also it's after four g'night.
Old 2009-08-08, 06:41   Link #18228
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Spoiler for September the Fourth, Day 3, Universe 1: Clubroom- Revenge:

That was longer than I expected.

The "Revenge" variable can now be found in Male CSP's scene on Day 1.

Also it's after four g'night.
I really like how you write Haruhi and Kyon.

It was a good scene. But I felt that the mutant clue chasing was too fast. I was kinda expecting more.

Post Postum:
I just reread the Cat and Mouse. By "added a bit" you mean Tsuruya thing? It was a nice touch. However, this would be the first time we actaully see her right? I mean, it is not possible hide her sprite here. Also, How Kyonko knew she was a second-year girl? (I failed to see any difference in Mutants fro Space or Bells are ringing).

Post Post Postum:
I also have watched the 'Haru-haru' thing. But failed in relate to our privious discussion.

And one more:
Post Post Post Postum:
I wonder if Danchou will update the flowchart sometime? They are very usefull to see better the structure of the scenes.
Ah, I should also thanks you, Kaisos, for editing 'I Will Have My Revenge' adding the variable guide. Helps a lot.

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-08-08 at 07:41.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 10:28   Link #18229
scify
Sometimes minor editor

Send a message via MSN to scify
Quote:
She put a point into it when she hit level 4.

I'm not so sure about social ineptitude being tied to Cha... of course, the book does NOT explain Wis and Cha well.

You're probably right though... but then, her force of personality is so overwhelming that she clearly has to have ridiculously high Cha.

Maybe she took the flaw "Oblivious Social Retard" at first level for an extra feat or something.
Think about the skills tied to Charisma. Diplomacy, for example, couldn't be done through sheer force of personality as it takes a fair amount of social know-how. Same with Bluff, though to a lesser degree. Outside of psychopaths, there are relatively few people who can lie well based only on sheer force of personality.

And really, it's never seemed to me that Haruhi is either socially inept or dense; for example, she picks up on the oddness in a lot of the things the others say to her (especially Kyon), but she allows it to be explained away in terms that make sense. Half of the storytelling Kyon does would be unnecessary if Haruhi really was fairly oblivious to everything going on around her.

Now, slightly more on topic... Great scene, though I'm not entirely sure why she's letting him off quite so easily (I hadn't thought that she started backing off that much until Intrigues).
Shadow takes all.
scify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 12:12   Link #18230
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Post Postum:
I just reread the Cat and Mouse. By "added a bit" you mean Tsuruya thing? It was a nice touch. However, this would be the first time we actaully see her right? I mean, it is not possible hide her sprite here. Also, How Kyonko knew she was a second-year girl?
I think the uniforms for the second years are slightly different from the ones the first years wear. I think it might just be the colored strip on their shoes, but I'm not sure. I seem to remember it being blue for first, red for second and green for third, so Kyonko could've just looked at her shoes and figured it out.

Unless it was somehow explained in the actual scenes, and I'm just forgetting about it. Which is very, very likely.
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 12:24   Link #18231
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I don't recall a difference in the uniforms themselves. Those colors are used for their gym clothes, however.
Old 2009-08-08, 13:40   Link #18232
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I don't recall a difference in the uniforms themselves. Those colors are used for their gym clothes, however.
I believe stuff like that proves that the faculty head is a pervert.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 13:47   Link #18233
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
I think the uniforms for the second years are slightly different from the ones the first years wear. I think it might just be the colored strip on their shoes, but I'm not sure. I seem to remember it being blue for first, red for second and green for third, so Kyonko could've just looked at her shoes and figured it out.

Unless it was somehow explained in the actual scenes, and I'm just forgetting about it. Which is very, very likely.
As Kotetsu said, the uniform is the same. Unless it is the gym one.
Old 2009-08-08, 13:51   Link #18234
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Once again, I am a battleship.
Old 2009-08-08, 14:05   Link #18235
Heatth

I already said it is a compliment, Mr. Nagato Disciple. Only the biggest diciple can be also a battleship. The others are, at most, a Destroyer.

(I did make mistake again, sorry)
Old 2009-08-08, 14:22   Link #18236
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
Yeah, that's what it is. The indoor shoes tell you the difference.

Quote:
Interestingly, I'm almost certain it was the anime that first used the shoe differences... which the novel later used in Vol.9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scify View Post
Now, slightly more on topic... Great scene, though I'm not entirely sure why she's letting him off quite so easily (I hadn't thought that she started backing off that much until Intrigues).
Because the camera he smashed is empty, like I said. The real camera with the real pictures is back at her house.

Kyon can never win, which is the point.

Quote:
I really like how you write Haruhi and Kyon.

It was a good scene. But I felt that the mutant clue chasing was too fast. I was kinda expecting more.
Thanks, and I cut that down because a) It's not that important, b) It's typical Haruhi stuff, and c) I was really goddamn tired when writing this.

Quote:
However, this would be the first time we actaully see her right? I mean, it is not possible hide her sprite here.
I'd think until Kyon meets her the game would treat her like a random background character, ie no sprite.

The game would probably treat Haruhi like that too when Yuuki and Kyonko run into her.

The idea is that Kyonko doesn't consider them important enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I believe stuff like that proves that the faculty head is a pervert.
That he is. The real Kita High uses business suit uniforms for the girls and gakuran for the guys...
Old 2009-08-08, 14:30   Link #18237
Heatth

Quote:
Yeah, that's what it is. The indoor shoes tell you the difference.
I didn't know that. Hey that mean Kyon is pretty observant (to notice some random person's shoes) thus having a big Wis

Quote:
I'd think until Kyon meets her the game would treat her like a random background character, ie no sprite.

The game would probably treat Haruhi like that too when Yuuki and Kyonko run into her.

The idea is that Kyonko doesn't consider them important enough.
Nice thought. I thought about arguing Kyonko should reconise Haruhi from the photos. But I believe being carry alrond by a mutant alien is enough to distract someone (however, how she notice Tsuruya's shoes then?).

By the Way, I just discovered this: Fate/stay night REverse.

It isn't time to us have 'our' own TVtrope entry yet?
(well, not really 'our' since it should include any seitenkan doujin)
Old 2009-08-08, 15:04   Link #18238
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
(however, how she notice Tsuruya's shoes then?).
Shoe color is something any North High student would know to look for, considering how much more social power a senior has.

Quote:
It isn't time to us have 'our' own TVtrope entry yet?
(well, not really 'our' since it should include any seitenkan doujin)
Want to avoid TVTropes. It's a huge timesink.

Edit: Okay, I just read REverse. They managed to make Shirouko work as a concept. I'm so surprised.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2009-08-08 at 15:15.
Old 2009-08-08, 15:49   Link #18239
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Funny, I figured the concept of bent F/sn wouldn't work... just goes to show that you should expect the unexpected when it comes to bending
Old 2009-08-08, 15:57   Link #18240
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
That he is. The real Kita High uses business suit uniforms for the girls and gakuran for the guys...
And virtually no schools any more use Bloomers any more...much less color coordinated ones by year.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan