AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-16, 22:09   Link #101
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I hope they're including After Story when they mentioned Clannad. It would be disappointing if they didn't.
The fact that the news post says "the 24 episode Clannad" has me pessimistic about them dubbing after story at the same time. I wouldn't rule it out but it doesn't sound like an AS dub is coming soon. Which is disappointing because Clannad is one of those shows I'd want to show to somebody who isn't into anime and having a dub on DVD would make that much easier than 40+ subbed .mkv files on my computer.
Old 2010-03-18, 18:21   Link #102
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

I'm so happy its getting dubbed and on March 26th AnimeNetwork will have the first two dubbed episodes for free and adding one episode per week after that!! I'm quite excited to hear what voice Emily Neves will give Kotomi.

Old 2010-03-18, 19:50   Link #103
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloko vi Britannia View Post
I'm so happy its getting dubbed and on March 26th AnimeNetwork will have the first two dubbed episodes for free and adding one episode per week after that!! I'm quite excited to hear what voice Emily Neves will give Kotomi.
Is there an official list of which VA's will be lending their voices to each character respectively?

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-03-18, 21:36   Link #104
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Is there an official list of which VA's will be lending their voices to each character respectively?
I don't know yet, I checked ANN's Clannad page and they still only have Kotomi's VA listed. I'm hoping Crispin, Chris Patton, or Johnny Young Bosch voices Tomoya.

Old 2010-03-18, 21:40   Link #105
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
I don't know yet, I checked ANN's Clannad page and they still only have Kotomi's VA listed. I'm hoping Crispin, Chris Patton, or Johnny Young Bosch voices Tomoya.
Well, a Sentai Filmwork rep set up a guessing game, she'll respond tomorrow morning for the results. And I really hope Johnny Yong Bosch voices Tomoya, I agree with you here.
Old 2010-03-18, 22:29   Link #106
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Paladin X View Post
Well, a Sentai Filmwork rep set up a guessing game, she'll respond tomorrow morning for the results. And I really hope Johnny Yong Bosch voices Tomoya, I agree with you here.
JYB i think could be a good fit but Chris Patton would also be one i think would be good. One i think would be a perfect fit is Luci Christian for Kyou. Stephanie Sheh is one that could be good for Nagisa as well
Old 2010-03-18, 22:31   Link #107
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
JYB i think could be a good fit but Chris Patton would also be one i think would be good. One i think would be a perfect fit is Luci Christian for Kyou. Stephanie Sheh is one that could be good for Nagisa as well
couldn't agree more I was about to say that, but you beat me to it XD

Old 2010-03-18, 22:35   Link #108
cyberdemon

Quote:
couldn't agree more I was about to say that, but you beat me to it XD
well when i think of her attitude i tend to think of Kaname Chidori and it just all fits.

great, now I'm too excited about seeing the list of VA
Old 2010-03-19, 05:44   Link #109
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
And I really hope Johnny Yong Bosch voices Tomoya, I agree with you here.
That will be highly unlikely since their using what was ADV's dubbing outfit and he didn't work for them (unless they outsource for some of the characters voices) although I'm not holding out hope that this will be a good dub as I would've expected Kira Vincent Davis would be voicing Kotomi (although I would highly agree with Luci Christain voicing Kyou)
Old 2010-03-19, 13:12   Link #110
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Luci is voicing Nagisa not Kyou guys and here is the official list

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost....6&postcount=80

Old 2010-03-19, 13:22   Link #111
hinakatbklyn

I was thinking all the current actors for Tomoya, it didn't dawn on me to think of past actors like David Mantraga. He would actually be another one of my options for Tomoya.

Luci does have a moe voice range so she is perfect for Nagisa, but since they have her already, who's left for Kyou?

(Edit): Speaking of Nagisa's voice overs, Luci and Mai have previously shared the same character, but not as major a character as Nagisa
Spoiler for Similar role for both voice overs:

Last edited by hinakatbklyn; 2010-03-19 at 19:17.
Old 2010-03-19, 15:50   Link #112
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I'm not familiar with dub actors. I'll have to look at their previous work.

"Junior Male (from Ep 24)" <<--- Will he ever get a name. And do we really have to dub Botan?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-03-19 at 16:14.
Old 2010-03-19, 17:12   Link #113
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Luci is voicing Nagisa not Kyou guys and here is the official list

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost....6&postcount=80
As a trivia fact, Luci also did the voice of the Wendy's commercials with that slogan: “It’s waaaay better than fast food. It’s Wendy’s.”

Anyways, it's a pretty good addition since she have voiced a good number of dubbed anime.
Old 2010-03-19, 18:38   Link #114
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Well, let's see. Impressions based on names alone doesn't seem fair, but what the heck?

David Matranga as Tomoya Okazaki
I don't really know Mr. Matranga or his work, but everything I've seen is positive. Considering he has a lot of experience with Mr. Foster, I see no reason to believe he won't contribute a solid performance. From a thematic point of view, I'm glad to see that there isn't a double dip and that no two Key leads will be voiced by the same person.

Luci Christian as Nagisa Furukawa
Well, this was actually a surprise. I expected them to give her the typecast and have her perform as Kyou. I do like Luci a lot, but I've never seen her in a role like Nagisa's. Luci tends to play a lot of tsunderes, something Nagisa is most certainly not. Heck, Nagisa doesn't even do mad. Her harshest condemnation is a stern look. We'll see, and I have faith in Ms. Christian's talents, but Mai Nakahara's performance here is going to be hard to match. Good luck to her.

Brittney Karbowski as Ryou Fujibayashi
LOVED her as Ayu. Didn't think I would going in, but I did. I'm very hopeful that she spins another gem here, though again, Ryou is a much quieter character than I'm used to hearing out of Ms. Karbowski. Still, very interested and eager to hear this play out.

Emily Neves as Kotomi Ichinose
Almost a complete rookie in the anime world; I don't know anything about her. Not how her voice sounds; really nothing at all. Mamiko Noto's performances are iconic and Kotomi is typical of that; this is a high bar to reach for and is likely the performance that will most test Mr. Foster's abilities as director.

Hilary Haag as Fuko Ibuki
This should be an interesting one. Hilary Haag is a veteran, but Ai Nonaka voices are difficult to try and replicate. The hope, therefore, is that she doesn't try to replicate it, because she'll fail miserably and Fuko, like her or not, is too important (especially to the early goings) to be a missed performance. Hilary can do the personality type; the hope is Mr. Foster doesn't push her too hard to be Nonaka-san and lets a little of Ms. Haag's personality flow into the role.

Greg Ayers as Youhei Sunohara
This was probably the obvious casting here, but I was kind of hopeful that Vic Mignogna would find himself here, since I love his Kurz. Still, Greg isn't out of his element here. I'm kind of concerned about the difference in tone between the two, but there's really no reason to believe that Mr. Ayers is incapable of playing the role. Probably the most 'duh,' of the castings, honestly, and that bears well for the production.

Serena Varghese as Mei Sunohara
She did a good job with Michiru in Air and Mei is, honestly, a similar prototype in execution. I don't see any reason why a good job isn't in the cards here, since, after all, Yukari Tamura did both Michiru and Mei as well, did them both similarly in terms of vocal pitch, and both turned out great.

Andrew Love as Akio Furukawa
Kind of a standout in later day ADV dubs, Mr. Love should be a good fit for the Baker M.C., but the craziness that such a role requires might test him. He has the right pitch, certainly, to pull off the role well. Hopefully he'll continue right where he left off.

Kara Greenberg as Sanae Furukawa
I don't really know Ms. Greenberg and thus can't really render any judgement on the casting. This could be one of the more difficult roles to pull off with Sanae's emotional swings, so this is something to watch for, again indicative of Mr. Foster's abilities as director if he can get Kikuko Inoue's amazing performance or any facsimile thereof out of Ms. Greenberg.

Shannon Emerick as Voice of "I"
Young Yuichi was adeptly done by Ms. Emerick, and while I don't want to see the same exact pitch here, it wouldn't kill the role. Still, pleased with this casting decision theoretically.

Maggie Flecknoe as Yukine Miyazawa
Hopefully the great performance Ms. Flecknoe turned in as Kanon's Shiori can be replicated here. Same kind of quiet tone was in the original, though a bit longer on the delivery, so a simple modification of the Shiori voice should be fine here.

Chris Hutchison as Naoyuki Okazaki
I don't know him enough to make a call on this. His difficult scenes are later on in After Story and by then he should hopefully have a good feel for the character.

Illich Guardiola as Yusuke Yoshino
Not the most important role, at least not in the first season, but adeptly cast nonetheless. Some of his inspirational speeches should be fun to listen to, just to see if the delivery the original voice did so well is replicated in the English version.

I'll probably be back with more when the rest of the cast is unveiled. I'm cautiously optimistic by the casting and directorial choices thus far.
Old 2010-03-19, 22:02   Link #115
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRMN View Post
Luci Christian as Nagisa Furukawa
Well, this was actually a surprise. I expected them to give her the typecast and have her perform as Kyou. I do like Luci a lot, but I've never seen her in a role like Nagisa's. Luci tends to play a lot of tsunderes, something Nagisa is most certainly not. Heck, Nagisa doesn't even do mad. Her harshest condemnation is a stern look. We'll see, and I have faith in Ms. Christian's talents, but Mai Nakahara's performance here is going to be hard to match. Good luck to her.
two words: Risa Harada. If you look her up in DNAngel you will understand the type of voice we're likely to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRMN View Post
Greg Ayers as Youhei Sunohara
This was probably the obvious casting here, but I was kind of hopeful that Vic Mignogna would find himself here, since I love his Kurz. Still, Greg isn't out of his element here. I'm kind of concerned about the difference in tone between the two, but there's really no reason to believe that Mr. Ayers is incapable of playing the role. Probably the most 'duh,' of the castings, honestly, and that bears well for the production.
For some reason i can't really picture this. I remember him from FMP, Heroic Age, etc but can't really put the tone in place of Sunohara.

what's a good role Matranga played that would sound like Tomoya? Can't really remember too many roles with him

Last edited by cyberdemon; 2010-03-19 at 22:23.
Old 2010-03-19, 23:10   Link #116
ameskitty
Kupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
The fact that the news post says "the 24 episode Clannad" has me pessimistic about them dubbing after story at the same time. I wouldn't rule it out but it doesn't sound like an AS dub is coming soon. Which is disappointing because Clannad is one of those shows I'd want to show to somebody who isn't into anime and having a dub on DVD would make that much easier than 40+ subbed .mkv files on my computer.
It seems like a test program for Sentai, so if the CLANNAD dub sells well, they will almost certainly dub AS. So if you're excited about it, you should probably go out and buy it .

It'll take a good dub to convince me to upgrade, though, especially since I probably won't feel compelled to rewatch it dubbed for a while (the first season really didn't do all that much for me compared to AS) :/. Luckily I like most of the names I recognize .

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
Old 2010-03-20, 08:45   Link #117
hinakatbklyn

Of the roles Matranga has voiced that I'm familiar with, his energetic voice might help, but he might sound older than the character he is portraying:

Spoiler for prior appearances that I can recall:
Old 2010-03-20, 23:45   Link #118
Dark Paladin X

My reaction to David Matranga as Tomoya Okazaki is more like, "Meh." I'm just glad that CLANNAD is getting dubbed. Even though I personally thought up of JYB to do this character.
Old 2010-03-20, 23:57   Link #119
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
Quote:
My reaction to David Matranga as Tomoya Okazaki is more like, "Meh." I'm just glad that CLANNAD is getting dubbed. Even though I personally thought up of JYB to do this character.
This is interesting, in particular I'm referring to the movie 5 Centimeters per Second having two English dubs, one produced by ADV, the other by Bang Zoom in LA. In the ADV dub, the lead was played by David Matranga, and the Bang Zoom dub had JYB play the character.
So perhaps you'll find Matranga acceptable since JYB can play the same type of character as him?

Just a thought.
Old 2010-03-21, 02:46   Link #120
edenzero

this interests me

looking forward it
Closed Thread