AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-08-11, 11:25   Link #81
JFDrummer430

Narutofan.com just put up a news item related to this horrific situation. They are suggesting everyone concerned write to Viz (through a link provided in the article) and tell them what we think. I just wrote a pretty lengthy one myself, and agree that we should show them that we want an actual translation, not some crap-ass edits.
JFDrummer430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 12:20   Link #82
Viperion

Send a message via MSN to Viperion
kinda late to do that now..

VIZ has already done the mistake. Do you think they gonna send a small apology to buyers of shonen becuz some translation were not satisfied enough.
I don't think so.
That would give some hit at VIZ buisness reputation.

just my 2 cent.
Viperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 14:25   Link #83
rorosama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFDrummer430
Narutofan.com just put up a news item related to this horrific situation. They are suggesting everyone concerned write to Viz (through a link provided in the article) and tell them what we think. I just wrote a pretty lengthy one myself, and agree that we should show them that we want an actual translation, not some crap-ass edits.
Went there before coming here. WTF!? Valentine technique? Evil Eyes. That's dumb as hell. I doubt they're gonna change anything as i think naruto vol 3 is one of the top selling graphic novel manga of all time so they're doing something right.
rorosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 14:49   Link #84
Anjin
stfu-no-jutsu

Send a message via AIM to Anjin
I bought the first 2 chapters... I wont be buying anymore.. And since we have seen these 'translations' up to now, can you imagne what we'll see later?...

Chidori = "Art of the hummingbirds" X_X
Rasengan = "Art of the Whirlpool" or "Art of the swirly air" X_X
Gamabunta = "BIG TOAD BOSS"

have they mentioned the Sharingan yet? If Byakugan is the Evil Eye (which is wrong.. Evil Eye is more closely related to the Mange Sharingan ... a la get backers) what are the going to butcher this as?

"ART OF THE 3 SWIRLY EYE THINGS IN RED AND BLACK COLOR"

VIZ is going downhill with this stuff. They may have licensed the manga and it may be 'right' to buy them, but I will not support a butchering of a good series. They are taking this and censoring it so that KIDS will like it.. This is just the same way the ruined DBZ and I will not support it. I'd rather illegally steal my manga then pay for garbage.

Just my 2 cents.. Sorry if you do not agree.
Anjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 15:54   Link #85
Shadowlord
~DESU

Viz's destruction of the Naruto Manga

Firstly, I would like to point out that THIS WAS TAKEN FROM ANOTHER SITE (which I cannot mention becasue it breaks the forum rules)

I have to post it here, because Viz's actions are just too appalling and uncalled for, please fans of Naruto, contact Viz (instructions at the bottom) and let them know you won't put up with this anymore!

(again, this is taken from another site) >>>

I normally wouldn't do this, in fact, ever since VIZ has released the Naruto manga in English I have done nothing but support it and I will continue to do so by buying the volumes of manga that they release, currently up to Volume four, four whole volumes that will cause any die-hard Naruto fan like a lot of you to pull their hair out. But they have finally pushed enough of this Naruto fans buttons. I consider myself to be one of the biggest fans of the Naruto series, which may be fairly evident with this site.

At the beginning of Naruto Volume 1, I noticed one thing that sent shockwaves down my spine, VIZ's official translation of the Naruto techniques that sound as if they are targetted towards the Harry Potter crowd and not the mature teenagers that make up the overwhelming group of Naruto fans. Some of you may have noticed that Bunshin no Jutsu was re-named to Technique of the Doppelganger, completely ruining what was great about that technique in many peoples' minds.

The next technique for them to rename was of course the Sexy no Jutsu that was cleverly called the Ninja Centerfold Technique in VIZ's appauling job of translating. I haven't put much thought to this recently but the next few have seriously bugged me and most every Naruto fan I have talked to, they were simply shocking and something that you would previously only think would happen in a bad nightmare.

The Byakugan that is unique to the Hyuuga Clan, whose literal translation is "White Eyes" was renamed - prepare yourself - Evil Eyes, I kid you not. The next skill that caused an uproar in my mind is Sasuke's Katon Goukakyuu no Jutsu which in English would be translated to mean "Grand Fireball Skill" was renamed to be Blaze of Glory. The next and possibly the worst changed name that I have ever heard of would be Ino's Shintenshin no Jutsu (Mind body Switch Skill) which was APPALLINGLY renamed to be and I am totally serious when I say this, Valentine Technique, put down the knives folks.

I'm sure anyone who is a fan of the series, and I do mean a true fan of Naruto, would find this absolutely troubling. I have no clue what the people at VIZ were thinking when they decided to do this and target it towards the youngsters who would not appreciate what the Naruto series is to it's fullest extent. I absolutely implore anybody and everybody who cares just a little bit about the Naruto series to contact VIZ and let them know just how ridiculous you think this is, and like was done with Dragon Ball Z, hopefully one day the manga will be re-released in an unedited version, one that is not so full of these outrageous mistakes.

How to contact VIZ
Simply Click Here and fill out the form.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 16:02   Link #86
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

LMAO Valentine Technique??? Forget the knife, I'll run a tank over their bodies. The only change that don't bother me too much the "Blaze of Glory"...sounds a little too American but understandable. Now the 1 that I cannot understand at all is the "Ninja Centerfold technique"....where in the hell did they get that from? For the love of god Naruto actually says "SEXY" in plain English...lol this is hiliarious. And I was going to get it too lol thx for warning me. No way in hell im going to buy them now.
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 16:09   Link #87
Shino~
The Legendary Perv Genin

lol yeah i was actually gonna buy the Viz ones... but now that i heard these weird assed names, im gonna go with the chinese versions
Shino~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 16:15   Link #88
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by -|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
LMAO Valentine Technique??? Forget the knife, I'll run a tank over their bodies. The only change that don't bother me too much the "Blaze of Glory"...sounds a little too American but understandable. Now the 1 that I cannot understand at all is the "Ninja Centerfold technique"....where in the hell did they get that from? For the love of god Naruto actually says "SEXY" in plain English...lol this is hiliarious. And I was going to get it too lol thx for warning me. No way in hell im going to buy them now.
Actually Naruto doesn't say sexy no justsu, he says oiroke no jutsu. You're hearing things man.
Old 2004-08-11, 16:17   Link #89
VMLM3
I had a good idea once...

Actually, the thing to do if you want to get their attention would be to make as many people aware of this as you can, wherever Naruto fans gather there should be a copy of that article, that way maybe it'll affect Viz enough for them to consider releasing an unedited version or changing their translations.
VMLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 16:18   Link #90
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by -|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
For the love of god Naruto actually says "SEXY" in plain English...lol this is hiliarious.
Hmm I was under the impression he said "oirige no jutsu" (or is that oirike?) I don't think I ever heard him use "sexy". Anyway, the valentine thing is just whack, and so is evil eyes. Otherwise I don't have a problem. What's kage bunshin called?

Anyway, just learn Japanese and buy the originals. Saves you on money too.

Edit: you guys are fast today, [A-Flux]Kiva128 beat me to it... :P
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 16:25   Link #91
Anjin
stfu-no-jutsu

Send a message via AIM to Anjin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akamaru
Hmm I was under the impression he said "oirige no jutsu" (or is that oirike?) I don't think I ever heard him use "sexy". Anyway, the valentine thing is just whack, and so is evil eyes. Otherwise I don't have a problem. What's kage bunshin called?

Anyway, just learn Japanese and buy the originals. Saves you on money too.

Edit: you guys are fast today, [A-Flux]Kiva128 beat me to it... :P
Kage Bunshin is translated as "Art of the Doppleganger" .... Sad, but almost understandable since most people who dont watch the anime or read the original manga would most likely not understand "Kage Bunshin No Jutsu"... Although they could have used "Kage Bunshin No Jutsu" and then put (Art of the Doppleganger) underneath, giving it a cool name and a definition for everyone to understand. VIZ sucks. QED.
Anjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 16:28   Link #92
ShikaShika
無罪

I'm sorry, I thought that was the regular bunshin. So what is bunshin no jutsu called?
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 16:30   Link #93
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

I, for one, am glad they changed Katon Goukakyuu no Jutsu to Blaze of Glory Technique.
Blaze of Glory.
Blaze of Glory.
a Glorious Blaze.
A splendid Blaze that inspires Awe and Amazement.
What the hell were they thinking?

I'm half expecting Sasuke to utter more garbage like "Feel my Power!" or "Your rage is mine!"

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 16:32   Link #94
Rhythmic
I <3 Hina-chan!

its funny,

I woudl think they would call Henge no jutsu doppleganger,

Dopplegangers are shapeshifters not replicators.
or at least in every fantasy story I have read or heard of....
Rhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 16:33   Link #95
Mezu
The Guardian

lmao Valentine Technique?!?!?!? How do they go about picking these names? Do they invite people over and pick names out of hat or something, they're basically spitting in Kishimoto's face.
Mezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 17:08   Link #96
Sai
apathetic

Send a message via AIM to Sai
by using the name "art of the doppleganger" viz has just screwed up big time, i mean what are they gonna call the normal bunshin no jutsu? they should've at least said shadow doppelganger or something but everything would be solved if they just left the original names.
Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 17:10   Link #97
raikage
日本語を食べません!

心転身の術

= mind/heart
= change
= person

And, so, if you were to accidentally take the 'heart' interpretation instead of 'mind switch', the jutsu could be construed as meaning 'changing the heart'. Of course, one look at what the technique does SHOULD have gotten rid of that conception right away, but I'm not Viz...
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 17:57   Link #98
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

This article should have been called "Viz's destruction of the Naruto Manga for all the die-hard (elitist) fans". Those new to Naruto wouldn't even notice anything wrong with the translation (if there's actually something wrong with it).
Old 2004-08-11, 18:13   Link #99
WalDo
Where's WalDo?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjin
Although they could have used "Kage Bunshin No Jutsu" and then put (Art of the Doppleganger) underneath, giving it a cool name and a definition for everyone to understand. VIZ sucks. QED.
I agree. They should just put the original phrase inside the dialogue bubble and then put an asterisk * beside it, then somewhere in that page there's an english interpretaion of that technique (in small fonts).
WalDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 18:52   Link #100
UserName

How does Kage Bunshin sound cool?

Viz is great. I have read some of their other work and is good. Then you say it sucks due to changing names that more accurately portrays the move, but because it isn't japanese it doesn't sound 'cool' so you say they suck...
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote