AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-08-18, 17:17   Link #21
Atheuz

I'm an Atheist, e.g I have no Religion even though I was a Protestant Christian until I was 13-14, at that point I gradually lost all faith.
Atheuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 17:19   Link #22
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheuz View Post
I'm an Atheist, e.g I have no Religion even though I was a Protestant Christian until I was 13-14, at that point I gradually lost all faith.
If it's not too much trouble to answer can I ask why? Since I have a friend who is very similar to you.
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 17:51   Link #23
Atheuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlion View Post
If it's not too much trouble to answer can I ask why? Since I have a friend who is very similar to you.
Complete absense of God in my life. Lost my grandmother to cancer - She was a good Christian, went to church, prayed and yet still died, actually READ the Old Testament(this point I decided to not worship God - he's terrible and killed millions of people for no good reason), got into several life threatening accidents. No response to prayers, ever.

I really tried to believe, but with so many things showing that God really doesn't exist and even if he did exist I wouldn't worship him, I just decided to drop it and not get bound to a religious belief that might tie me down.

Ever since that I've found several flaws in the Bible and in Christian faith, only reinforcing and verifying my decision to distance myself from Christianity.
Atheuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 17:58   Link #24
Gaiarth

I suppose I'd be an atheist. I certainly don't see any need for a creator god to explain the universe, and I personally very much doubt that there is such a thing, but as it's extremely difficult to prove a negative I'm always ready to acknowledge that there's a very slim possibilty I could be wrong.

I dislike rabid, dogmatic atheists just as much as I dislike rabid, dogmatic religious people.
Gaiarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 17:58   Link #25
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Complete absense of God in my life. Lost my grandmother to cancer - She was a good Christian, went to church, prayed and yet still died, actually READ the Old Testament(this point I decided to not worship God - he's terrible and killed millions of people for no good reason), got into several life threatening accidents. No response to prayers, ever.

I really tried to believe, but with so many things showing that God really doesn't exist and even if he did exist I wouldn't worship him, I just decided to drop it and not get bound to a religious belief that might tie me down.

Ever since that I've found several flaws in the Bible and in Christian faith, only reinforcing and verifying my decision to distance myself from Christianity.
I am sorry to hear that on both occasions. I, too, lost my Grandmother a year ago to Cancer. I prayed and I keep praying.

Edit: The people that lost their lives never died in vein. Those who gave their lives to prayer open up the possibility to receive the graces of opportunity. When you pray, you may not receive your answer directly. You might receive it with an opportunity.

Last edited by TakutoKun; 2007-08-18 at 19:26.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 19:24   Link #26
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:

Wow that is almost exactly what happen to my friend.
Old 2007-08-18, 19:27   Link #27
witchking99
Lord Of Spoils

I believe in the teachings of Zoroaster.The first religion!!
witchking99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 19:32   Link #28
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchking99 View Post
I believe in the teachings of Zoroaster.The first religion!!
I saw a brief Wikipedia article on Zoroaster. Would you care to emphasize?
Old 2007-08-18, 19:50   Link #29
witchking99
Lord Of Spoils

Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
I saw a brief Wikipedia article on Zoroaster. Would you care to emphasize?
If you read it on wikipedia then you should have learn a little about the religion.Wikipedia has a very complete definition of it.I can't give you a good explanation here since it's a little complicated and I'm a little lazy to do it.
witchking99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 20:06   Link #30
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

I'm kind of a Buddhist... at first I just followed it because most of my surrounding people are such. But when I did a Buddhism research project for history class and read about a teaching called Salama Sutta that tells a person to trust his direct experience and believe something using his own judgment, I started to like it. You could probably say that I follow the religion for philosophical reason

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 20:13   Link #31
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchking99 View Post
If you read it on wikipedia then you should have learn a little about the religion.Wikipedia has a very complete definition of it.I can't give you a good explanation here since it's a little complicated and I'm a little lazy to do it.
Bleh! Fine! I will read more information. :P
Old 2007-08-18, 20:13   Link #32
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Arrow non-believers and skeptical churchgoers

I don't believe in anything. I suppose that's why I've been feeling quite down these last 20 years.
Seriously, I try to avoid all those -isms. They're just words putting people into separate boxes. That's why I don't consider myself an atheist. I'm sort of more of a nihilist, maybe.
I usually say I have no religion (though I've been baptised as a catholic), like mr incest did.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 20:18   Link #33
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
I'm kind of a Buddhist... at first I just followed it because most of my surrounding people are such. But when I did a Buddhism research project for history class and read about a teaching called Salama Sutta that tells a person to trust his direct experience and believe something using his own judgment, I started to like it. You could probably say that I follow the religion for philosophical reason
Cool fellow Buddhist , I also like the philosophy behind Buddhist.
Old 2007-08-18, 20:42   Link #34
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Birds of a feather flock together it seems. I don't have a religion. I'm agnostic, in the sense that I admit that I don't know if God exists or not. He may, he may not. There's no way for us to know for sure anyway. I prefer to assume that he does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru
I'm kind of a Buddhist... at first I just followed it because most of my surrounding people are such. But when I did a Buddhism research project for history class and read about a teaching called Salama Sutta that tells a person to trust his direct experience and believe something using his own judgment, I started to like it. You could probably say that I follow the religion for philosophical reason.
That's a nice and reasonable way to approach life.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 20:58   Link #35
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manifold View Post
I am a Christian. In the sense that I have accepted Christ as my saviour and my Lord, and that I have asked Christ to forgive my (Original) sin(s) and enter my life.
Yep same here
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 21:00   Link #36
Raykun
Protect my imouto ~

i belive in nothing so nonreligious
Raykun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 22:16   Link #37
rimaa

wow looks like I'm the first Muslim
rimaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 22:24   Link #38
Blaarg
^^;

Send a message via MSN to Blaarg
I'm non-religious myself, I wouldn't consider myself an atheist though, as I don't believe nor disbelieve as to whether God or gods exist or not. I am more neutral on the subject and realize the possibilities that can go either way.
Blaarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 22:34   Link #39
zoozoc
Anime is my drug....

I would be considered by most to be an evangelical christian.
zoozoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 00:42   Link #40
Reinhard

I transcribed this by hand: Anne Rice's postscript from her novel Christ The Lord: Out Of Egypt, on how she found her way back to Catholicism after drifting away from it for much of her life. I found it fascinating - and I think definitely worth sharing as part of this discussion:

http://www.philotopia.com/anne.htm
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion