AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass R2 Series Rating
Perfect 10 365 44.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 199 24.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 92 11.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 76 9.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 31 3.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 20 2.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 1.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 0.49%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.25%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 1.72%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-10-06, 08:24   Link #81
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

What I liked most about Code Geass is that they weren't afraid to kill people off.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 08:26   Link #82
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
Aside from the filler episode the serie was ok++ up to the eps where gendo tried to pull a third impact... err wait i mean charles tried to fussion all humanity.
Then it went downhill, hit the ground and kept digging.
I would say it was like receiving a blowjob only to be interrupted on the verge of climaxing and being forced to finish by yourself.

A lot of potential was wasted tried way too hard to be dramatic to pull a cliff-hanger out of each episode.
i would give it a 5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
What I liked most about Code Geass is that they weren't afraid to kill people off.
hooo the sarcasm
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 09:36   Link #83
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
hooo the sarcasm
Euphemia, Shirley, Rolo, 3 of the 4 holy swords, the majority of Ougi's terrorist cell, 90% of the antagonists, etc. >_>

you also strike me as one of the people who thinks Lelouch is dead, since that's usually what people who have an irrational hate for this series go with.
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 09:52   Link #84
Levy
differently sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
My only complaint is that since the Black Knights where so poorly written that it made them look like complete idiots because only Lelouch, Kallen, and Suzaku where ever properly developed.
And, damn, they weren't so laid back in s1 *_*

I don't think they look like total idiots anyway, the mutinity was all but unreasonable, and their lack of effectiveness in the final battle makes them nothing more than normal human beings overshadowed by both Lelouch and Schneizel's rare intellects (and by the Geass, in the first case).

The bashing is clearly all Lulu-biased, but also characters like said, Lloyd and Cécile that are canonely very smart people would look like idiots back in 22 since the writers give them like 10 seconds of screentime to doubth what they were doing in following Lelouch.

Jeez, I love Shirley, but I'd love to know much more about all of this rather than knowing how frustrated the poor thing was about her crush. @.@!

Quote:
The same thing happened with Death Note, and that even had the writer bashing it into the audiences head that Light was evil.
I've never been active part of Death Note fandom, althought I've read the manga and enjoyed it quite lot, but when I reported to a friend that has been quite active in DN fandom the Lulu-case, her comment was "ah, just like Light!"
And then I started to think that a lot of the misreading in the moral message of the series was actually due to the fanbase more than to the not so shiny writing itself.
Lelouch is ten times a better person than Light Yagami, but you can't really say he's a saint or a hero or such a nice, kind guy.
Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 10:11   Link #85
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
I don't understand what he is saying ?_?
I think its something along the lines of it being about CC's history and not about messing up the current peace that Nunnally is in charge of.
Old 2008-10-06, 10:20   Link #86
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
Euphemia, Shirley, Rolo, 3 of the 4 holy swords, the majority of Ougi's terrorist cell, 90% of the antagonists, etc. >_>

you also strike me as one of the people who thinks Lelouch is dead, since that's usually what people who have an irrational hate for this series go with.
i dont concider that a lot of dead people, (3 named characters) beside no one cares about the no named grunt that died.
the authors pulled people back from the dead **cough nunally & sayako cought** and used random plot shield on others **cought cornelia suzaku and all the BK cought**, i concider that a serie with a high deatghtol would be gundamZ to an even bigger extend there would be blassreiter as a lot of characters die during the show and not only during the last 2 episodes.
In the last 2~3 episode there was a grand total of 2 dead main character (only 1 if you concider lelouch staged his death)

what did i do to strike you as someone that think LL is dead ? i barely post more 1 or 2 post in the last 5 weeks of code geass
As for LL being alive or dead it left to the view discretion some will want to believe other will think it s better for him to be dead.
If he is alive and kicking i d love to see him make comeback in 5+ years when people start doing the same mistake again. God i d love to see his world wide broadcast something like :"Fouls! i gave you a chance to start over with no injustice and discrimination, i sacrifice myself wearing the mask of the evil to focus the world against me and yet you are repeating the same mistakes again and forced me out of my retirement...." followed by some fabulous hand gesture etc etc.
But i think it s better for him to be dead as it s what he wished as his punishment for killing euphi & CO. If he is still alive it would "cheapen" his sacrifice (but would open a new chance (lol like she ever had one ) to kallen).
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 11:39   Link #87
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
My only complaint is that since the Black Knights where so poorly written that it made them look like complete idiots because only Lelouch, Kallen, and Suzaku where ever properly developed.

As for it being a battle of gray, I have no problem when that, except that most people do want to see a battle of good vs evil, and so they try to make Lelouch a shining example of good trying to overthrow his evil father, and Schneizel to be some nutcase that just wants to blow up the world.

The same thing happened with Death Note, and that even had the writer bashing it into the audiences head that Light was evil.
As a chess lover myself. I really despised how the theme of chess was used throughout the series, but that was tossed to the wilds for the final battle.
I think that was one of the major reasons why I always enjoyed the Lelouch and Kallen relationship. He was the King and she was the Queen. I know there is a whole controversy about that, and I don't want to start a whole Queen debate here. I'm just saying that if you know anything about chess then Kallen fits perfectly as the Queen. At least when it comes to the battles. In chess the Queen is the most powerful fighter on the board.

Well, is it all that surprising that the major characters in the series get the most development?
I do want to disagree that those characters are the only ones with development.
Whether you like her or not. Nina got a good level of development. She really when on the gamut. She went from introvert racist, to psychotic yuri, to revenge driven, to horror of her own actions, path to redemption, and finally to making her sins right with creating the counter to her own destructive creation. You can not call her a static character. She did not end the way she began.
Old 2008-10-06, 11:47   Link #88
Kusaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
i dont concider that a lot of dead people, (3 named characters) beside no one cares about the no named grunt that died.
the authors pulled people back from the dead **cough nunally & sayako cought** and used random plot shield on others **cought cornelia suzaku and all the BK cought**, i concider that a serie with a high deatghtol would be gundamZ to an even bigger extend there would be blassreiter as a lot of characters die during the show and not only during the last 2 episodes.
In the last 2~3 episode there was a grand total of 2 dead main character (only 1 if you concider lelouch staged his death)
There was actually an explanation for how Nunnally and Sayoko survived, and one with some previous on-screen evidence even (other people already talked about the decoy shuttle and certain details at the time). I didn't have much of a problem with that.

I would admit that the BKs surviving was a little too convenient, but then again they escaped using a readily available mechanism.

Cornelia's and especially Guilford's survival is what bothers me a little bit (though I didn't want her to die like that, in any case).

In the case of Suzaku during the last episode, we only see the Lancelot Albion explode from a certain distance, without an elaborate death scene and not close enough to be certain of his death...and it makes sense for him to find a way to escape, since he has the "Live" Geass after all, which forces him to survive.

High death counts aren't necessarily a good or bad thing, in my opinion, though I admittedly would have preferred a few less "returns" in R2 (again, in particular Cornelia and Guilford for that matter).
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 11:52   Link #89
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusaja View Post
Cornelia's and especially Guilford's survival is what bothers me a little bit (though I didn't want her to die like that, in any case).
What bothers me is that NO ONE seems to see that Schneizel was geassed. I mean, talking with a guy who, I suppose, repeats "i serve zero, I serve zero" etc. would feel a bit weird no?

Same as what Gaohai was. And XingKe saw immediately that something went wrong.

This time, no one is shocked >_>
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 11:53   Link #90
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

The thing about Nunnally and Sayoko's death is that their were listed dead on the website and literally brought back to life after that.

There are more named characters that returned alive after supposed death scenes than characters that stayed dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay
Just mentioning that I'm one of the people who liked more or less the entire season and I believe he is dead.

Whether he is dead or alive is both fine to me anyway, but I still believe he is dead. It would be better for him to die with his sins and not need to live a life of guilt, even worse if he's immortal.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 12:03   Link #91
LastOrder
Om nom nom nom
*Artist

All heil Lelouch. ;__;

I cried more when Roro...Yeah, it was pure mindfu** I cried, and laughed, and gasped.

Code geass was awesome. Now I have to find another anime to fill in that hole for me.
LastOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 12:14   Link #92
Levy
differently sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxFireArt View Post
Well, is it all that surprising that the major characters in the series get the most development?
I do want to disagree that those characters are the only ones with development.
They are not the only one, of course, and you made a really good example with Nina. Other minor characters that are handled well are Kaguya, Milly, Diethard - we might discuss about the scene of his death but his intentions and actions makes perfect sense with his character and are explored to a decent degree.
What I wanted to say is that characters that are quite important to the plot and played a usefull role both in S1 and in the final part of R2 (Ohgi, Lloyd &Cecile, also Tohdoh in respect of Suzaku) were push aside in the first 15 episodes to talk about new characters that are not all that necessary to the plot.
Someone else mentioned Gino before, and it's a really good example. I do like Gino, but the plot could do withouth him. Kannon, too. And of course they are nicer than Ohgi to look at, but I'd have want to know better what was going on on Ohgi's mind about the BK growing bigger and bigger and changing into an international organizzation.
The wild bashing would have come anyway, but maybe it would have been a way to make his subsequent actions make more sense in the eyes of the viewer. Same for Lloyd and Cécile, that weren't bashed just because they litterally happened to be on Emperor Lelouch side.

Quote:
What bothers me is that NO ONE seems to see that Schneizel was geassed. I mean, talking with a guy who, I suppose, repeats "i serve zero, I serve zero" etc. would feel a bit weird no?
I guess Schneizel's brain is not fucked up, he's just supposed to not revolt against the will of Zero, but for the majority of time he acts like normal. You might see his geass like a powered-up version of the geass Lelouch put on Guilford: he obey his master, but he's nothing different from his real self.
Of course, mine is just a theory since they didn't show Schneizel after he was about to be executed.
I'm curious about the effects on his memory and how Suzaku will settle things up with him in peace time.
Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 12:22   Link #93
Kusaja

Quote:

Same as what Gaohai was. And XingKe saw immediately that something went wrong.

This time, no one is shocked >_>
Well, if the new Zero tells Schneizel to "stay quiet" or "don't mention you are my servant in public"...I'd think he would be a little more convincing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
The thing about Nunnally and Sayoko's death is that their were listed dead on the website and literally brought back to life after that.

There are more named characters that returned alive after supposed death scenes than characters that stayed dead.Just mentioning that I'm one of the people who liked more or less the entire season and I believe he is dead.

Whether he is dead or alive is both fine to me anyway, but I still believe he is dead. It would be better for him to die with his sins and not need to live a life of guilt, even worse if he's immortal.
You do have a point about that last part, though I am open to both outcomes, but about the first...regardless of what the website said, and for the first week they were both listed as MIA, there was information in the same episode that could help explain why they were able to survive. It wasn't like there was absolutely nothing other than writer's whim to support that. There were already theories explaining why they could survive, relatively early on. It does look somewhat anti-climatic, that is true.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 12:41   Link #94
killbethy

When I went back and watched season one after watching R2, I had a realization that R2 was less of a sequel to the original Code Geass and more like a story based off of what they already created. Somewhere during the gap, the pacing and mind games that made Code Geass such a great series were lost. R2 was less about the characters and more about giving the fans what they want (a Lelouch that is not concretely dead or alive, a major battle with no major character deaths, a battle where no one comes out the winner, kissing scenes with all love interests but no victor)... basically, R2 gave fans everything they wanted and took away any plot elements that would anger fans of x, y or z. It was fanfare done in the best possible way, and enjoyable while watching (but significantly less enjoyable looking back and thinking about it.

We wound up with an ending that was like candy for babies to not get fans of any character angry. It's insulting that they couldn't write a concrete ending for the series without fearing they would anger someone. Most of the plot was completely left out if it didn't concern Lelouch (what is Geass? what is that Jupiter planet? who/what are the gods? what does Geass have to do with the beginning of the world?). The story was incredibly rushed... there was more time devoted to Shirley's death (3 episodes) as the Zero Requiem (which might explain why it was such a silly, half-thought out plan). The Zero Requiem was so hyped up that they made it impossible for themselves to create a Zero Requiem that lived up to what everyone had decided in their minds and opted for the worst possible route... making it obvious. But too many strings were left untied.... Lelouch, atleast a character painted with his intelligence, would no the peace he created is fragile at best; Kanon is still wandering around somewhere and knows the truth about everything, including what Schneizel's Geass is and could derail the whole Zero Requiem by sewing a cape and buying a mask; no political ending was given, just a shot of Ohgi shaking hands with Nunnally... is there even a Britannia anymore?... I could go on and on.

So 8/10, because the art direction, music, and all of those goodies. Each episode was like a jewel that kept you hanging on till the next week... but somehow at the end, you didn't wind up with a treasure. Just another slightly above average anime. Maybe it would have been impossible to end Code Geass in a way that gave justice to the entire series and was as good as watching the whole show. But this ending certainly wasn't it.... it seemed like Tanaguchi gave up on Code Geass a long time ago.
killbethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 16:35   Link #95
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Only 3 important good guys where killed, Euphemia, Shirley, and Rolo.

Compare that to say Ideon, where I won't spoil the ending, but its quite famous.

Also compare that to any anime "kill 'em all" Tomino made in the late 70's- Early 90's except for ZZ Gundam. Zeta Gundam is famous for its downer ending, Victory Gundam was especially cruel, and and Zambot 3 kills some people as well.

Quote:

Who cares about the antagonists and Ougi's terrorist cell

Its like claiming that Bleach is a dark series because a lot of hollows die in it. Also nice strawman, claim that you obviously wrongly hate the series, which is the only reason you want Lelouch to die.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 16:40   Link #96
Shuuda
Sniped.

Send a message via MSN to Shuuda
Other people who have died include:

- Luciano.
- That fat, bald guy.
- V.V.
- The two original Black Knight members at the Black Rebellion.
- The guy who gave Asahina that testimony, which was a factor in Todou betraying Zero.
Shuuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 16:43   Link #97
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Just mentioning that I'm one of the people who liked more or less the entire season and I believe he is dead.

and yes, I wasn't saying believing Lelouch is dead means you hate the series, I was saying if you hate the series you probably think Lelouch is dead. Of course there are no absolutes.

Quote:
Its like claiming that Bleach is a dark series because a lot of hollows die in it. Also nice strawman, claim that you obviously wrongly hate the series, which is the only reason you want Lelouch to die.
terrible analogy, as Bleach is a story which had an entire arc where absolutely no antagonists died, and then most of them ended up becoming protagonists for the next arc. Can't say the same for most of Britannia in this series. Hell, the act of killing Rolo alone puts CG's death count over Bleach.
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 17:22   Link #98
sLum
Suzaku vi Brittania

O man R1 was great. R2 had a few good moments, I think the best episode of the series was episode 15 of R2. That and Rolo's death were the only real good points in R2. It was a major let down. People need to look at GITS (ghost in the shell) formula and learn something from it. If they mess up G00, I'm going to japan and teabagging all the people working for sunrise.
sLum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 17:59   Link #99
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuuda View Post
Other people who have died include:

- Luciano.
- That fat, bald guy.
- V.V.
- The two original Black Knight members at the Black Rebellion.
- The guy who gave Asahina that testimony, which was a factor in Todou betraying Zero.
Yes, but nobody cares about those people

Did anyone watching the massacre episode stare in shock and say

"I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY KILLED THE FAT BALD GUY!"

Quote:
terrible analogy, as Bleach is a story which had an entire arc where absolutely no antagonists died, and then most of them ended up becoming protagonists for the next arc. Can't say the same for most of Britannia in this series. Hell, the act of killing Rolo alone puts CG's death count over Bleach.
That was one arc, and their where several Britannians that turned good

Cornelia, Guilford, Villeta, Jeremiah, Anya, Gino
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 18:01   Link #100
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Yes, but nobody cares about those people

Did anyone watching the massacre episode stare in shock and say

"I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY KILLED THE FAT BALD GUY!"
Personally no. lawl

But yeah, Euphie and Shirley were two of my fav charas and they were LEFT really, really dead. {Rolo's death scene was really touching as well. After that, everyone else was coming back, kinda cliche and anti-climatic. :/}
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote