AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-04, 07:25   Link #41
Davad
We're soul-brothers.

Send a message via MSN to Davad
Agreed with above statement, i'd just ad most probally Cloud as well. To be quite honest, i'd add all of final fantasy characters, exept, Cid, uh.... and Vivi from FF9.
Old 2009-04-04, 14:45   Link #42
Sovereign Rune
Swordsman of Harmonia

Send a message via AIM to Sovereign Rune
Emil from ToS: Dawn of the New World has to be the worst main character ever.
Old 2009-04-04, 16:41   Link #43
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Well, I don't want to rant too much, so I'll just say that Squall's entire being can be described quite simply: He's emo, stupid, and gay. That and he uses one of the most retarded weapons to ever be conceived: the gunblade.
Gunblades are fucking awesome. I don't know how you could possibly think that they're dumb.
Old 2009-04-04, 18:14   Link #44
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Mostly because they're not realistically viable, I think.
Old 2009-04-04, 18:26   Link #45
kyousukey

Shadow the Hedge hog ( And thats only because of the game were he could use guns....since when were there guns in sonic xD )
Old 2009-04-04, 18:31   Link #46
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Neither are magic, summoned creatures, or swords bigger than the people who wield them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyousukey View Post
Shadow the Hedge hog ( And thats only because of the game were he could use guns....since when were there guns in sonic xD )
...Robotnik?
Old 2009-04-04, 19:32   Link #47
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Sure they are, that's what a bayonette is for (in terms of literal interpretation of the word "gunblade"). As far as those portrayed in FF8, not so much. Based on the wikipedia article on Squall, the gun part of the gunblade adds more like a motor to vibrate the blade. With this in mind, Squall's blade is more akin to an electric saw rather than a sword. This is kinda dumb, because his blade is a straight edge, and would not benefit as much from the vibration as would a serrated blade.

I digress though, as it's not meant to be a realistic weapon.
Old 2009-04-04, 19:47   Link #48
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
Sure they are, that's what a bayonette is for (in terms of literal interpretation of the word "gunblade"). As far as those portrayed in FF8, not so much. Based on the wikipedia article on Squall, the gun part of the gunblade adds more like a motor to vibrate the blade. With this in mind, Squall's blade is more akin to an electric saw rather than a sword. This is kinda dumb, because his blade is a straight edge, and would not benefit as much from the vibration as would a serrated blade.
I always though how the gunblade was used in FF8 was dumb, yeah.

Considering that there WERE real world gunswords that simply acted as both a gun and a sword (and Lightning in FFXIII appears to use a similar weapon), it's perfectly viable, as you've said.
Old 2009-04-04, 20:04   Link #49
meh

Why would any anime fan compare about a sword being dumb? I mean, surely by now you would've figured out that swords/katanas in Japanese stories >>>> guns, missiles, nuclear attacks, flying dragons, etc. etc. etc.

As for Squall's gunblade, I've always thought the "gun" part creates an explosion at the time of the hit, because that's what the animation seems to be inferring. It seems really odd that wikipedia would mention it as a vibration.

Anyway, I like Squall in general. Probably because when I played this game 10 years ago, I was surprised at a main character who could actually use his brain.
Old 2009-04-04, 20:38   Link #50
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
Why would any anime fan compare about a sword being dumb? I mean, surely by now you would've figured out that swords/katanas in Japanese stories >>>> guns, missiles, nuclear attacks, flying dragons, etc. etc. etc.
Guns are awesome. Flying dragons too.

Missiles can be awesome, depending on what is producing the missiles. If it's a giant robot, or SHEER FORCE OF MANLINESS, yeah, awesome.

Nukes... not so much, no.
Old 2009-04-04, 20:42   Link #51
Nosauz

except guns are never near as deadly as swords. Even in god damn mecha... phase sword beats fucking twin rocket packs, if only guns were shown to be as deadly as they really are.
Old 2009-04-04, 21:03   Link #52
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
except guns are never near as deadly as swords. Even in god damn mecha... phase sword beats fucking twin rocket packs, if only guns were shown to be as deadly as they really are.
It's the power of GAR.

Swords are more GAR than guns are.
Old 2009-04-04, 23:15   Link #53
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Well, in mecha-verse, fastest thing in the world is a giant robot. You can easily dodge missiles, bullets, and even freaking lasers. But a mech with a sword will obliterate you before you can even react.

Anyway, I know this is going off-topic. But it's pretty hilarious how the Japanese could incorporate sword fights in SPACE battles.
Old 2009-04-05, 02:56   Link #54
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makku View Post
Sheena Fujibayashi, Tales of Symphonia
*hits Makku in the face with a spike bat* how dare you! D:<

If you had said Presea there would be hell! hell!!!
Old 2009-04-05, 03:58   Link #55
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I don't really care about realism of weapons myself, but then again, I've actually had some hands-on experience with melee weapons, so if I was bothered by realism, I'd be bothered by 90% of all game weapons, so I tend not to care about realism and just go "hell yeah! I just found a scythe that's 3 times my size! I wonder how many mobs I can slice with this baby."
Old 2009-04-05, 07:15   Link #56
Nosauz

suspension of disbelief can only go so far. you have to draw the line some where, right?
Old 2009-04-05, 07:21   Link #57
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

We may find huge weapons impossible to wield, but these game characters have super human strength. You can accept their super human strength but not their ability to wield those weapons?
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-04-05, 07:23   Link #58
Nosauz

hey hey hey, I didn't say that, I just say the effectiveness of their weapons is what makes it unplausible to me. Does it mean i'm not gonna go play my import copy of super robot wars k? No, it just means that its harder for me to see how a gun loses to sword, it would be like saying paper loses to rock in roshanbuu
Old 2009-04-05, 08:00   Link #59
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
In the words of Issac Washington(HoD Wii), there is "NO ******* WAY " this topic is getting away without mentioning Luca Blight. Now THAT'S a bastard.
Old 2009-04-05, 09:00   Link #60
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Squall from Final Fantasy VIII. Actually, you could include the whole damn cast as well (excepting Quistis XD).

Well, I don't want to rant too much, so I'll just say that Squall's entire being can be described quite simply: He's emo, stupid, and gay. That and he uses one of the most retarded weapons to ever be conceived: the gunblade.

*waits for the flames of the fanboys*
pfft how could you hate Zell? hes like, the best Final Fantasy Character XD he would woop any other Hand to hand character. and his filled with laughs.