AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-30, 14:49   Link #32441
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

1970s anime in America tended to also edit out he Japanese and cultural references. But I always considered this to be because cartoons were aimed at 8 year olds for the most part in the United States, and edited to reflect that. A board of Directors or a parents board of whatever would probably think having Japanese references would be confusing to children (who are still getting indoctrinated into US culture via school). Thus almost anything that linked the show to Japan was removed or whitewashed. Save for maybe signs on buildings in background shots.

This usually also meant the locations were changed to someplace in the United States, or given a generic name one might find in a superhero comic book. Japanese foods were changed to something an 8 year old might recognize and pronounce. Direct cultural references changed to something an American would value (this is all dubbed after all), or editted out "for time".

Sexual references (panty shots for the most part in those days, though sometimes nudity) were removed. On screen blood and death were almost always removed. And usually drunkenness was removed if it couldn't be covered with something else. Recreational drug use was usually removed, unless it was used for comedy.
Old 2013-12-30, 17:56   Link #32442
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Which reminds me, the anime airing in my childhood in Taiwan on TV had to have any on-screen Japanese edited out. As a part of the brainwashing all Japanese anime had to be edited to have no hint of its Japanese origin. Because you know, the Japanese were suppose to be evil.

Obviously that isn't enforced anymore, but it was a crazy time when such insane rules are followed.
Not sure if serious.

Like Ithekros said above, there are plenty of far more practical reasons why things like that were (and continues to be) done, pretty much all over the world.

By your logic, the US hates Japan too, which is why all those cartoons had things edited out during LOCALIZATION FOR CHILDREN WHO DOESN'T SPEAK A WORD OF THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGE.

I mean, just look at Star Blazer/Astro Boy, and Robotech! how dare they edit any of that!

...well, actually, Robotech was an abomination, but yea :P
Old 2013-12-30, 18:00   Link #32443
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Not sure if serious.

Like Ithekros said above, there are plenty of far more practical reasons why things like that were (and continues to be) done, pretty much all over the world.

By your logic, the US hates Japan too, which is why all those cartoons had things edited out during LOCALIZATION FOR CHILDREN WHO DOESN'T SPEAK A WORD OF THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGE.

I mean, just look at Star Blazer/Astro Boy, how dare they edit any of that!
according to Vallen,

Carl Macek must be the biggest Japanese hater in the 80s.
Old 2013-12-30, 18:11   Link #32444
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
But I always considered this to be because cartoons were aimed at 8 year olds for the most part in the United States, and edited to reflect that.
That's part of it. The other part was that American culture had issues with the expression of violence and sex (still does in some ways), particularly with the "think of the children" crowd. The result was that a lot of media was edited to heck and back to make it "cleaner" for the mainstream audience, especially in the 50's to early 90's. It was possible to find more "taboo" stuff on the fringes though, but anyone who remembers Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television" or the Comics Code knows what I'm talking about.

Cultural differences did play a part, but a lot of it wasn't from the Japanese (or Chinese), it was Americans fighting their own cultural expression. But I think despite all of the editing and censorship, the exportation of Asian culture to America has been a positive thing and it has helped to transform the nation in a lot of ways.
Old 2013-12-30, 18:16   Link #32445
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It was possible to find more "taboo" stuff on the fringes though, but anyone who remembers Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television" or the Comics Code knows what I'm talking about.
Which is humorous, since today only 3 of those words are still taboo, one of which is a derivative of one of the others.
Old 2013-12-30, 18:36   Link #32446
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There was a censored version of Carlin's 'Seven words" that was played over the radio on the Dr. Demento Show. Carlin heard it and found it humorous since they made sure each word was bleeped with a different sound, so if you knew the word, you'd still understand the jokes.
Old 2013-12-30, 21:34   Link #32447
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
according to Vallen,

Keep in mind that at least one anime episode was banned at the time because a sake bottle had prominent Japanese written on it, and there was no reasonable way to edit it out using the technology available. As I say, it was against the LAW at the time to have Japanese text in broadcasted cartoons. This wasn't about hiding adult material, but was literally anti-Japanese laws.
(And the only reason I know about it, was that newspapers of the time actually reported on this banned episode. So society at large think it is absurd, but the government was backwards.)
Old 2013-12-30, 22:21   Link #32448
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Keep in mind that at least one anime episode was banned at the time because a sake bottle had prominent Japanese written on it, and there was no reasonable way to edit it out using the technology available.
It's possible to skip the entire scene though. So it's indeed odd that the entire episode's banned, unless it's an important scene.
Old 2013-12-31, 01:02   Link #32449
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe in Taiwan, were they could probably read the bottle. In America, it would be ignored and called something else. "Spring Water" was the popular choice in 1979.

I like the first part of Robotech (Macross section), but I've not seen the other two parts in full (or at least don't remember seeing them in full from the 1980s).
Old 2014-01-01, 14:32   Link #32450
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

James Avery, otherwise known as Uncle Phil from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, passed away at the age of 65.

I has a sad
Old 2014-01-01, 16:01   Link #32451
sikvod00

^ What a shame. Even though Uncle Phil was one of my least favorite characters in that show (big stick up his ass) no one can deny that he played the hell out of the role.
Old 2014-01-01, 17:13   Link #32452
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Apple denies knowledge of NSA iPhone hack claims

Quote:
The agency described DROPOUTJEEP as a "software implant for Apple iPhone" that has all kinds of handy spy capabilities. DROPOUTJEEP can pull or push information onto the iPhone, snag SMS text messages, contact lists, voicemail and a person's geolocation, both from the phone itself and from cell towers in close proximity.

It can also turn the iPhone into a "hot mic", using the phone's own microphone as a recording device and capture images via the iPhone's camera.

But the Der Spiegel report is based on information that is over five years old. The slide, dated January 2007 and last updated October 2008, claims that the agency requires close physical proximity to the iPhone to install DROPOUTJEEP.
Consider me just shocked! (massive sarcasm implied)

Guess thats why Snowden didn't want anyone with a mobile phone to come near him when he did those interviews.

It'd be kind of hilarious if Apple tried to pursue some sort of legal action because the NSA got around their proprietary software or rules or something that would surely cover and support them. Although I doubt they could with the "national security" excuse and all that bullshit, but it would be funny.

Wouldn't surprise me if there is an Android version of it as well.
Old 2014-01-01, 20:52   Link #32453
AnimeFan188

CIA’s hunt for missing Russian suitcase nukes in 2003:

"In his book “At The Center of the Storm – My years at the CIA”, by George
Tenet, a former Director of CIA (from 1997-2004), who served under two
presidents (Bill Clinton and George W. Bush) talks about al-Qaeda’s attempt to
purchase nuclear weapons on the black market.

In one incident he mentions the fact that in May 2003, the Saudi’s had captured
several top level al-Qaeda operatives and sympathizers, including a man by the
name of Shaykh Nasir bin Hamin al-Fahd. Al-Fahd was a man who published a
white paper which sought to justify the use of nuclear weapons.

His paper was called “A Treatise on the Legal Status of Using Weapons of Mass
Destruction Against Infidels”.

While in custody, he confirmed that al-Qaeda had been negotiating for the
purchase of Russian devices (meaning nuclear weapons), he claimed ignorance
regarding the nature of these devices."

“As expected the Russian took copious notes and asked penetrating questions
regarding the information we had come to share. But the conversation became
awkward as we began asking questions. The Russian could not shed light on
reports we had received of missing material from the former Soviet Union. They
did not recognize the names of former Soviet scientists who reportedly
collaborated with al-Qaeda. They refused to delve into any matters relating to
the security of their nuclear facilities and nuclear weapons, including reports
sourced to Russian officials concerning possible theft of Russian suitcase nukes.”

“We have learned that it is not beyond the realm of possibility for a terrorist group
to obtain a nuclear weapon. I have often wondered why this is such a hard reality
for so many people to accept”, said the former CIA Director Tenet (pg 279).

“One mushroom cloud would change history. My deepest fear is that this is exactly
what they (al-Qaeda) intend.”"

See:

http://groundreport.com/cias-hunt-fo...nukes-in-2003/
Old 2014-01-01, 22:16   Link #32454
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Chinese iron trade fuels port clash with Mexican drug cartel
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A000EG20140101
Old 2014-01-02, 01:41   Link #32455
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post

Wouldn't surprise me if there is an Android version of it as well.
i would be surprise if there isn't
Old 2014-01-02, 02:25   Link #32456
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
according to Vallen,

He's not?

I firmly believe Uncle Carl saw Japan as just a big fat cow to milk.
Old 2014-01-02, 11:28   Link #32457
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Colorado cannabis customers swarm as drug's sale goes legal

And people play this song.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-01-02, 15:42   Link #32458
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Colorado cannabis customers swarm as drug's sale goes legal

And people play this song.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I guessed the song before I even clicked on the link. Couldn't have put it better myself
Old 2014-01-02, 16:19   Link #32459
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
If something that is potentially addicting and legal, why hold back? All the drug addicts in my country would be very happy if it be legalized in my country.
Old 2014-01-03, 22:33   Link #32460
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
The police in the southeastern province of Guangdong raided a village they called a “fortress” of methamphetamine manufacturing that was protected by local Communist Party and law enforcement officials and criminals armed with assault rifles. Three tons of methamphetamines were seized along with more than 100 tons of methamphetamine ingredients and 260 kilograms, or 570 pounds, of ketamine, they said.
More than 3,000 police officers flooded Boshe village in Lufeng County on Sunday, capturing 182 alleged drug ring members and destroying 77 methamphetamine labs, the Guangdong Police announced at a news conference on Thursday.

http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/...th-china/?_r=0

mass execution coming up.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international