AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-01-27, 16:20   Link #1
TsubasaSeraphina

Soft subs in MPlayer

I've tried everything I can think, and at least attempted every suggestion in threads that I've read, but I still can't seem to get this .sub file to work. I'm like going insane here ~_~. I have both MPlayer and VLC, but I can't even make subs appear in either one, much less display properly. In MPlayer, I push "v" to activate subs, and some lines or question marks show up, but when I push "b" to select the sub file, nothing happens at all. What do I do?
Old 2007-01-27, 18:30   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

You don't have issues with other sub files, do you?

If not, have you checked over the file to make sure that it's not broken? Try opening it in wordpad or notepad and take a look to see if there isn't some garbage in there - it's possible that the file has an issue. If possible, try to redownload it, and check with other people to see if they have issues with it as well.
Old 2007-01-27, 19:37   Link #3
TsubasaSeraphina

I've never been able to make them work ~_~ not that I've made a whole lot of attempts, I've tried maybe 3 or 4 times before. But I reeeally want to see the Honey and Clover movie (that is, the file(s) I'm trying to make work now)
Old 2007-01-27, 21:35   Link #4
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Well, just a random guess. But does that .sub file also have a .idx partner? Guessing that they are vobsubs that needs to be present, though there are other weird formats which use .sub. Make sure both have the same name as the file you are playing and it should autoplay with them.

BTW the 'b' key has been deprecated (depending on how new your version is), try using 'j' instead.

If its still not loading, you could possibly try forcing to load with
Code:
mplayer -subfile "blah.sub" "whatnot.avi"
Old 2007-01-30, 11:48   Link #5
Aegelward

i can get soft subs to work on mplayet os x(intel build 1.0rc1 pre1) but they are too fast, the subs are appearing a few seconds before the speach
Old 2007-01-30, 11:55   Link #6
martino
makes no files now

-subdelay sec

...should work. Since they appear too fast you want a positive value for the delay.
Old 2007-01-30, 13:38   Link #7
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
For the OP have you picked a true type font? If you haven't no subtitles will display (if you're confused as to which fonts are true type go into your fonts folder and look for fonts that end in the extension .ttf (a short list that I have on my computer are: Gulim, Batang, MS Gothic, MS Mincho, PMingLiU, and SimSun). You should be able to choose your font in the Preferences panel.

@Angelward use the z and x keys to increase and decrease the subtitle delay as needed.

Also does anyone know of a true type font that supports Japanese?
Old 2007-01-30, 21:15   Link #8
Nicholi
King of Hosers

If they are picsubs (subs stored as images not as text), he won't need a font. Which is what it sounds like he is trying to play, but I'm not sure.

I only use Windows, so I'm not sure what fonts you guys have .