AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-05-12, 00:56   Link #201
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyagent007 View Post
i'd like some input on what you guys think we (we being www.ji-hi.net) should do for groups that jump into subbing a project in the middle of the show and haven't done the first episode. should we accommodate them by recapping an entire show for all the groups on the episode that said new group started on or just forget them?
You should probably cap an early episode as well as a later episode so you can compare if the groups have improved over time.
Old 2008-05-12, 01:10   Link #202
Snoopyagent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Does it really happen that often to be worth recapping all the groups again? Not that I'm fully aware, but as far as I know it usually happens on shows that have been stalled by groups and then others trying to finish it off. As an exception I can see D Gray Man as an example, where it looks like a couple of speedsubbing groups have been battling it out between each other. :/

Or did you have a specific example in mind?
Your Mom started Vampire Knight at #4, Chihiro started ToLoveRU at #5. there are more, but those are the only ones i can remember...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tun View Post
You should probably cap an early episode as well as a later episode so you can compare if the groups have improved over time.
that's what we were thinking, but when is said "later" episode? halfway through the show? what about for shows that have a yet undetermined number of episodes? do we do a new cap after 13 eps? 26?
Snoopyagent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 14:28   Link #203
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

find out how long a series is gonna last and pick an episode like 3/4ths towards the end
Old 2008-05-13, 18:13   Link #204
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Why not just update screenshots every two/three months or something? That way, it's not dependent on how long a series lasts.

Quote:
Your Mom started Vampire Knight at #4, Chihiro started ToLoveRU at #5. there are more, but those are the only ones i can remember...

I'd say it's no great loss if you didn't provide "quality" comparisons for those two groups...
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 18:16   Link #205
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku
Why not refresh it each season? (13 eps)

Add in new groups, drop out groups that have vanished...
Old 2008-05-13, 19:46   Link #206
Snoopyagent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tun View Post
find out how long a series is gonna last and pick an episode like 3/4ths towards the end
we wouldn't want to accidentally spoil something, though i guess it's fine if we put a spoiler warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
Why not just update screenshots every two/three months or something? That way, it's not dependent on how long a series lasts.

I'd say it's no great loss if you didn't provide "quality" comparisons for those two groups...
to be honest, i don't think we'd like to cap the same show more than twice. also, we try to cap from all groups, regardless of how we feel about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroku View Post
Why not refresh it each season? (13 eps)

Add in new groups, drop out groups that have vanished...
i'm not sure about every 13 eps, especially if it's a 52-episode series...would just another cap halfway through the show be acceptable?
Old 2008-05-13, 20:58   Link #207
Kristen
*Author

Really, if you're looking to fully cap seasons, I'd do one at the start, one in the middle, one in the end. I mean, this season, my group picked up a couple of shows mid-stream. Then again, it's rare for anything like that to happen. But, since groups do drop out, I'd definately suggest end of season capping.
But, I'd only update if there is a change. XD
Old 2008-05-14, 03:32   Link #208
asunder
the ancient biter

Quote:
to be honest, i don't think we'd like to cap the same show more than twice. also, we try to cap from all groups, regardless of how we feel about them.

i'm not sure about every 13 eps, especially if it's a 52-episode series...would just another cap halfway through the show be acceptable?
maybe 2 caps per normal 13/26 episode series and 3 caps for anything longer? Make a rule to include a group if they've done a minimum of episodes?? This way you can focus on groups that actually sub a significant portion of the series. (Might be impossible to predict at the start of the series). This would triple your work, but I'm sure that a few people would appreciate it.

Other suggestions: Include a link/instructions on submitting fansubs requests/torrents/episodes for your comparison. (save yourself some time searching for links/find out what people want to see compared?)
edit: nm, i see your underused forum

Imagine if there was also a section involved with translation comparisons as well? But that would probably cause more fansub drama than it's worth...

Last edited by asunder; 2008-05-14 at 04:27.
asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 05:52   Link #209
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by asunder View Post
Imagine if there was also a section involved with translation comparisons as well? But that would probably cause more fansub drama than it's worth...
That is infinitely more valuable than what the current offering is but the problem is having dedicated qualified people to do the reviews. Anime-Planet is the closest thing we have and that's really a pretty pitiful example when you think of what could really be done.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 16:08   Link #210
Snoopyagent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by asunder View Post
Other suggestions: Include a link/instructions on submitting fansubs requests/torrents/episodes for your comparison. (save yourself some time searching for links/find out what people want to see compared?)
edit: nm, i see your underused forum
yeah, we're planning on doing this soon, though we're slightly hesitant for fear that people might not be entirely truthful and alter the screenshots in one way or another to make a certain group look better than another's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
That is infinitely more valuable than what the current offering is but the problem is having dedicated qualified people to do the reviews. Anime-Planet is the closest thing we have and that's really a pretty pitiful example when you think of what could really be done.
i would love to be able to implement actual translation comparisons, but as you have said, we do not have the people who are willing and able to do this.
Old 2008-05-31, 18:26   Link #211
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
i would love to be able to implement actual translation comparisons, but as you have said, we do not have the people who are willing and able to do this.
It was done in the past, but the site (We the Fans) collapsed because of all the attacks by fansubbers who didn't like critical reviews of fansubs that were critical of their work.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 19:13   Link #212
asunder
the ancient biter

http://web.archive.org/web/200306021...me.com/phpBB2/ ahh never knew this existed... how long did it last?
asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 16:43   Link #213
DontAsk

Interesting. Here you can see one of their old reviews (images are unavailable, unfortunately):

http://web.archive.org/web/200306021...inf-kraze.html
DontAsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 18:27   Link #214
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Nice to see that archive. It was a fabulous idea imo, but it sparked (gasp) controversy by grading fansub groups on their work. A lot of flames fell their way and some people who reviewed for them were treated badly. I feel that the loss of wtf was not one of fansubbing's finer hours.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 03:07   Link #215
Misora

This will probably be useful to you guys.

Macross Frontier Ep 9 Fansub Comparison:

http://yesy-fansubs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1591

Only did the first 12 minutes.
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 12:04   Link #216
ras80

One more site on http://fansub.animanga.gen.tr/
We opened it a few days ago. Based on anidb database.
Here is an example title http://fansub.animanga.gen.tr/anime/5614
I know we are low on titles, but as the website is user generated we need quality screenshooters : )
Any feedback(good, bad,ugly) is greatly appreciated :P, we are still developing so expect some bugs, spelling errors etc.
ras80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 22:17   Link #217
pichu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras80 View Post
I know we are low on titles, but as the website is user generated we need quality screenshooters : )
Any feedback(good, bad,ugly) is greatly appreciated :P, we are still developing so expect some bugs, spelling errors etc.
Not the best way... Using AJAX for comparison should be easier to use than that (selecting more than one different screens makes it too ludicrous)... My idea is a bit complicated to discuss here.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 01:26   Link #218
ras80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichus View Post
Not the best way... Using AJAX for comparison should be easier to use than that (selecting more than one different screens makes it too ludicrous)... My idea is a bit complicated to discuss here.
What do you mean by "ludicrous" ? I would be glad if you can tell more. Well the name of "COMPARE" button may be misleading as you are not required to select more than one screen shot to see it in it's full resolution glory.
Old 2008-07-21, 01:44   Link #219
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras80 View Post
Ras: I have responded on your site and I will make a note here as well.

Dragonauts was not a joint between Shinsen and anime yuki, it was shinsen alone. I know, I was on the project team. Make sure you have information like that 100% correct before submitting it. If you don't have important things like that right it kills the point of a compare.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 02:01   Link #220
ras80

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
Ras: I have responded on your site and I will make a note here as well.

Dragonauts was not a joint between Shinsen and anime yuki, it was shinsen alone. I know, I was on the project team. Make sure you have information like that 100% correct before submitting it. If you don't have important things like that right it kills the point of a compare.
Thank you for the information. But I think you are missing the main point. Have you checked http://fansub.animanga.gen.tr/addscreenshot ? Site is community based, that means anyone can upload screenshots. Think about it as a wiki. Of course wrong info can be entered, but after your point, we deleted the entry easily. Why don't you send "your" best screen shots with "the correct info" to show us what you did in your project?

The biggest problem of the other comparison sites is that they are one man projects, they are not community based. If the guy just gets bored, or his/her exams start then the site just out dates. I hope my points are taken.

Last edited by ras80; 2008-07-21 at 02:03. Reason: typo