AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2006-10-22, 14:19   Link #281
monstratboy

This person has kindly uploaded a bunch of scans if anyone is interested.

Spoiler for Lancelot:

I notice everytime Lulu spoke with or about Karen, Shirley is pictured right afterwards noticing them/him. Is this a subtle(or maybe not so subtle) way of showing she's interested in the girls he talks about/with and may have some sort of feelings for him.

I'm already positive Lulu's own interest in women is limited to simple friendship and now cover as part of his 'school identity'. He's really focused on destroying Britannia to protect his sister's future from any more abuse from politics and jealously like what happened in the past. Serious relationships will only get in the way. Unless your girlfriend is like the almighty presence and power base that is Miss Lacus Clyne(who comes with godlike pretty boy in white mech). Hmmm....

The pink haired girl in the opening gets a mug shot with C.C., Shirley and Suzaku. Lets hope she's the one to turn first and bring Suzaku to Lulu's side of the law.
But wait, they just might bring in a third 'nuetral' faction like in that show G***** ****. Uh oh.

I guess....I guess anything could happen. I can't wait to see the rest of this show.
monstratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 21:22   Link #282
Cal-Reflector

Well, we all know who the main female character is now, eh? But seriously, episode 3 was fantastic, just gimme a moment to remember what happened in the rest of the episode other than the glorious shower scene, which tends to shove other things out of one's mind... right. Bloody good fanservice, I approve.

Poor Clovis, he would've been the focus of this episode, but it was diminshed by competition from Karen's look-see.

The animation is as crisp as ever, the graphics (and now, eye candy!) is fantastic, Lulu (one day I'll learn to spell his full name right) continues to dazzle us with his scheming. One point of clarification which others might care to explain to me is, why did that officer highjack the convoy carrying Clovis and the General?

Some body look it up please, whether or not next week's Code Geass will see the viewership ratings double, after word gets out amongst the native community about the good stuff that aired i nepisode 3.
Old 2006-10-22, 23:23   Link #283
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
I think you'd have to be British to find the following screenshot hilarious...

Spoiler:

The nosey rider behind Millais is wearing formal hunting attire, usually worn during fox-hunting and other such reprehensible pursuits of the landed gentry in Britain. Full marks to the staff for observing British cultural absurdities.
I'm Canadian and I recognize it. Fox-Hunting. But where's his rifle and entourage.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 01:58   Link #284
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

I should also remark that simple horseriders also wear a comparable attire during equitation competitions (in fact, the colors often depend on the organizer's clothing requirements but the clothes and hats are the same) for challenges like hurdles and elegance shows. Races, however, involve a different kind of gear for increased safety. But as I said, competitors in an equitation competition often wear fox-hunting-like clothes. In this case, I guess the red color scheme would be due to Britannian tradition. All in all, I wouldn't be surprised if Ashford Academy had, among other things, horseriding and equitation elegance courses (since a lot of students out there, according to the manga, are Britannians).

Ex:

Besides...I'm not sure they'd have this type of facility inside an academy...golf, why not, but fox-hunting fields? I'm not sure about this, all things reconsidered. Unless, of course, the Ashford family possesses huge expanses of ground to accommodate such an area within the academy complex.
Old 2006-10-23, 04:10   Link #285
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I'm Canadian and I recognize it. Fox-Hunting. But where's his rifle and entourage.
Guns? Oh no, that would too humane and not sporting at all. Instead they use a pack of thirty strong specifically bred (and starved prior to the hunt) foxhounds. Said foxhounds will pick up the scent of foxes and hunt them. When they'll find them they'll tear them to pieces as a reward. This, apparently, is a civilized way to keep fox numbers down (whereas paying a keen-eyed gamekeeper with a .22 calibre rifle to pick of alpha male foxes is clearly heathen and crude). Oh dear I went waay off-topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334
Besides...I'm not sure they'd have this type of facility inside an academy...golf, why not, but fox-hunting fields? I'm not sure about this, all things reconsidered. Unless, of course, the Ashford family possesses huge expanses of ground to accommodate such an area within the academy complex....
I suspect, like you said before, it was a good way to highlight the priviledged pursuits of the young Britannians, rather than aiming for cultural accuracy. It would be highly unusual to have all the foxhunting trappings inside a school like the Ashford Academy. You'd need the fields, foxes and the foxhounds for a start. Even if they did have fox-hunting that would spark even more hatred in Area 11 as foxes (kitsune) are scared spirits to the Japanese...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 06:56   Link #286
bluerogue
PEWPEW LASER SWORDMASTER

Send a message via AIM to bluerogue
I've just seen Episode one, courtesy of GG fansubs.

This series seems to have a huge potential. Political controversy, crazy mecha fights, decent character designs, and a likable yet certificably insane lead.

First and foremost, I've been reading alot of comments in this thread bashing the way the mechas are built; I for one like them, they add a sense of flow and versatility that you can't get with gundam seed type mechas.

The moves on the Nightmares are simply astounding. *skates up two buildings does a backflip and spins*

Gundam seed tended to replay the same fight scenes over and over again throughout each episode; I have high expectations for this series, if the mecha battles follow suit we should be prepared for some pretty cool scenes.

Although the character designs resemble kira/athrun *they also have that whole childhood friends thing going on for them* the mentalities, actions, and personalities don't. I think that this series is going to have deeper, more heartwarming characters than gundam seed.

I like the chess analogies. Being a casual chess player myself, I can't pragmatically adhere to the whole 'if a king doesnt move his subjects won't follow' thing, but I still appreciate the insight this provides us to lelouch's world view.

The character designs are simply breathtaking. Sharp, flowy, sexy, cute, amazing; All and all this will be one of the series I will excitedly await this season. Hopefully it'll gain a bit more steam and get stickied to the Current Series thread listing.

BTW: The setting is fictional, no hard feelings; as a person who prides in being american, a term shrouded in ambiguity, I don't see how something so trivial could get on so many peoples' nerves. The blind nationalism, if anything, should rally <3 for lelouch's diabolical whims, not hate towards the anti-american producer of the anime.

Judge the anime, not the animators. If he wishes to vocalize his views towards America, more power to him. Regardless, I won't let something so stupid ruin a *hopefully consistently* great mecha show.

On another thought... GAAF I WANT SPEEDSUBS! This anime has been exalted by 4-5 prestigious anime bloggers, has a kickass op and ed, and has clamp character designs/sunrise animating it; HOW HAS IT ONLY ATTRACTED ONE FANSUBBING GROUP (although admittedly, I'm insanely grateful to gg for fansubbing)! IMO greyman is tried and true, action anime of the week; code geass has the potential to be something great, or intriguing at the very least. Ep 3 is out, and I can't bring myself to watch the raws! *seeing the scenes without knowing what theyre saying... just ruins it the second time, sort of spoils it without actually spoiling it*
bluerogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 07:21   Link #287
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Get my translator fired from his job and it will go faster. D:
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 15:51   Link #288
StanAce
Opinionated Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerogue
This anime has been exalted by 4-5 prestigious anime bloggers, has a kickass op and ed, and has clamp character designs/sunrise animating it; HOW HAS IT ONLY ATTRACTED ONE FANSUBBING GROUP
Yeah, I concur. It's ridiculous how ALL the groups are oversubbing pre-hyped series such as Death Note, Kanon, and D.Gray-man, but only one group is giving attention to CODE GEASS. Barely any of the other series are getting much attention this season despite their potential. After seeing episode 1 of CODE GEASS, I assume most of us can say that it's not exactly a weak competitor, and heck, it's even got character designs from CLAMP to boot.

Thank god I know enough of the spoken Japanese language to be able to watch the raws.

So what's this about CODE GEASS being anti-american? So it shows that ALL of North America (Yes, CANADA AS WELL) has been taken over by Brits. So what? It's not like it's offensive or anything. Or do Americans find it offensive to see their country occupied by another nation in a work of fiction? Seriously, you don't hear anybody complaining when you read the Chrysalids (sci-fi book where most of the world, INCLUDING AMERICA, is nuked to crisp) or some other 'alternate world' story. For all I care, this is just a minor detail for the plot.
StanAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 19:29   Link #289
Paranoia833
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAce View Post
So what's this about CODE GEASS being anti-american? So it shows that ALL of North America (Yes, CANADA AS WELL) has been taken over by Brits. So what? It's not like it's offensive or anything. Or do Americans find it offensive to see their country occupied by another nation in a work of fiction? Seriously, you don't hear anybody complaining when you read the Chrysalids (sci-fi book where most of the world, INCLUDING AMERICA, is nuked to crisp) or some other 'alternate world' story. For all I care, this is just a minor detail for the plot.
As I understand it, it's the 'terrorism' thing and the way Clovis/Britannia makes a big deal of those who oppose Britannia being terrorists (doesn't he even use the english word, or am I misremembering?). Hence the argument is that Code Geass is likening itself to the war on terror.

Personally I can see the symbolism in there, but I really wouldn't leap to conclusions until more episodes have come out, since we still don't really know what direction this show will go. Now not being a particularly big fan of US foreign policy I don't mind harsh critiques of the American government, though if it doesn't develop beyond its current form it's not a particularly well informed or subtle one*, so naturally I'm hoping the plot will become more complex as the show goes on.

*I'm quite possibly reading to much into it, but my current opinion is that the show seems to be likening Japan to Iraq, suggesting that America is using
the anti-terrorism and the spreading of democracy as a cover for outright Imperialism (the logical progression of this argument being that America is practicing a doctrine of 'civilising' the world similar to the British empire). If that's the case... well I won't derail this thread with the full rant but while I'm probably just as critical of America I've got to say that's a rediculously simplified and in some respects unfair assessment of the Iraq crisis.

To be honest I'm far more critical of what I see to be the anti-western themes of Britannia in general. If Britania is supposed to be some kind of metaphor for western influence as a whole on Japan then it starts getting rediculous, but I'll freely admit I have no real evidence that the show is taking things that far. Personally I'll be curious to see what these "terrorists" are actually like and what they want for Japan, to see if the writers/producer will present their own views or else go for some moral ambiguity.
Paranoia833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 20:51   Link #290
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia833 View Post
A
*I'm quite possibly reading to much into it, but my current opinion is that the show seems to be likening Japan to Iraq, suggesting that America is using
the anti-terrorism and the spreading of democracy as a cover for outright Imperialism (the logical progression of this argument being that America is practicing a doctrine of 'civilising' the world similar to the British empire). If that's the case... well I won't derail this thread with the full rant but while I'm probably just as critical of America I've got to say that's a rediculously simplified and in some respects unfair assessment of the Iraq crisis.
Although Producer Takeda has expressed strong criticism about Iraq situation, this time around, he says in Code Geass he's loosely relating to the situation around Japanese occupation of Taiwan and Korea right after WWII.
However, since he has repeatedly commented on his dislike of America, it's probably not entirely coincidence.

But we all have high hopes in Taniguchi to play it off as just a setting gimmick, and create a great anime.
That man has never dissapointed me. Ryvius, Scryed, Planet-es, Gun x Sword... all masterpieces.

Last edited by aohige; 2006-10-23 at 21:32.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 21:09   Link #291
Paranoia833
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Although Producer Takeda has expressed strong criticism about Iraq situation, this time around, he says in Code Geass he's loosely relating to the situation around Japanese occupation of Taiwan and Korea right after WWII.
However, since he has repeatedly commented on his dislike of America, so it's probably not entirely concidence.
Quite possibly. That's probably the biggest flaw in my analysis, I simply don't know enough about Japanese history to make an accurate guess as to the full themes and can only really consider the parrallels to western history. If so that would explain why the terrorism thing hasn't been given to much detail, it's an afterthought to the original statement. I'm actually kind of curious now as to what message the show will eventually convey, if any. Either way it's got me hooked so I guess the writers did their job.
Old 2006-10-23, 21:45   Link #292
wao
OK.

<stupid speculation>It would be interesting if Takeda did indeed intend to actually portray Britannia as some sort of "Imperialist Japan" of the past, in which case he's criticizing his own country... but then he covers it up by making Japan the victim here and Western forces the imperalists. Maybe he wants to empathize with what people in China and Taiwan felt back in those days and show exactly why they would have so much hatred and disgust for the Japanese (because in the show, if you put Japanese in the same situation, they would react similarly).</stupid speculation>
Or maybe not.

I was recently reading the next ep spoilers/summaries for Code Geass on web newtype, and while they're largely not very informative at all, the general outcome seems sort of predictable to me
Spoiler:

The trick is whether they can do this with a few twists in between...
Old 2006-10-24, 00:06   Link #293
Sevaasu
My World, My Rules

will any kind souls upload a sub on youtube??? some people who don't download (like me) just need to watch it T-T
Sevaasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 00:24   Link #294
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevaasu View Post
will any kind souls upload a sub on youtube??? some people who don't download (like me) just need to watch it T-T
It'd just get removed right away anyway.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 00:36   Link #295
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAce View Post
Yeah, I concur. It's ridiculous how ALL the groups are oversubbing pre-hyped series such as Death Note, Kanon, and D.Gray-man, but only one group is giving attention to CODE GEASS. Barely any of the other series are getting much attention this season despite their potential. After seeing episode 1 of CODE GEASS, I assume most of us can say that it's not exactly a weak competitor, and heck, it's even got character designs from CLAMP to boot.

Thank god I know enough of the spoken Japanese language to be able to watch the raws.

Even though I totally agree with you about the oversubbing of certain series, I wish people would give the argument that it has CLAMP designs a rest. They do not make the show what it is, even if they are by CLAMP or anyone else popular.

It's not a big deal that CLAMP does the character designs and it certainly shouldn't have much affect on who decides to sub the show. I'm so tired of people mentioning that as the only merit of the show. I see it as a potential downside as everybody kind of has enlongated necks and it looks odd and this may turn a lot of people off.

The Chrysalids was also a bit of a joke for me now that I see you brought it up. Considering there's about a two page spread where all the main character does is talk about "Rosalind's Sharp Pointed Breasts", and thats all I remember about the book, I'd say it hasn't had a lasting impact enough to make it relevant.

Oh and D-Gray Man is apparentely plagiarising from other works anyway, so it can go to hell now. I was considering watching it but not now.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2006-10-24 at 00:49.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 02:12   Link #296
Paranoia833
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
It'd just get removed right away anyway.
It would? Despite the rumblings of the press youtube still seems to be the wretched hive of scum and villainy it always was. If they've actually toughened up since their last blanket ban they've done a good job of hiding it.
Old 2006-10-24, 02:58   Link #297
nubby

Suzaku is my favorite because he kicks ass! He seems to be Kira and Athrun in one body. Lulu seems to be Shin and Light........

SuzakuxKaren pairing anyone? I'm pretty sure the Lacus Clyne wannabe is going to ruin it but why do they have to make it so blatant? I know this show steals some stuff from Gundam, Clamp, Gunxsword, death note, and a few others but damn........
nubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 04:05   Link #298
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
It's not a big deal that CLAMP does the character designs and it certainly shouldn't have much affect on who decides to sub the show. I'm so tired of people mentioning that as the only merit of the show. I see it as a potential downside as everybody kind of has enlongated necks and it looks odd and this may turn a lot of people off.
I don't think it's the only merit, certainly, but neither do I think the designs are especially a 'turn-off'. Apparently those who hate those designs to the core are those who don't see a better side of things in terms of artwork. It could be attributed to how CLAMP wants to design their characters, and I certainly don't think there would be fans of Lulu and Suzaku now if there were that many people who hated the designs.

Quote:
Oh and D-Gray Man is apparentely plagiarising from other works anyway, so it can go to hell now. I was considering watching it but not now.
I've watched it...And certainly find little to refer to as 'plagarism'. Just my opinion though, seeing as this part is a little off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubby View Post
Suzaku is my favorite because he kicks ass! He seems to be Kira and Athrun in one body. Lulu seems to be Shin and Light........

SuzakuxKaren pairing anyone? I'm pretty sure the Lacus Clyne wannabe is going to ruin it but why do they have to make it so blatant? I know this show steals some stuff from Gundam, Clamp, Gunxsword, death note, and a few others but damn........
Steal? Steal isn't the right word to use in this case. More like 'Have similar elements'.

Hmm...Just my honest opinion...I don't like it when Lulu gets likened to Shinn. So far Lulu exudes a different aura from Shinn, that's for sure. He's cool, calculating...and quite the mastermind thus far, while Shinn....Kinda gets his strength from how intense his emotions are. In the aspect of Shinn and Light, though, I would agree. One wants vengeance exacted, while the other's considered rather clever, even for his age.

As for SuzakuxKaren pairing...We'll see if that can develop, somehow.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 07:45   Link #299
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

The issue of CLAMP design's pertain to individul opinion. Some don't like their elongated arms and legs that make them look like standing monkeys, but some feel that it's unique and makes it stand out. Just like how people say Hirai's design style is repetitive and boring, but some says that it translates way better in animation and how it's not generic.

Lulu is similar to Shinn. They both have sister complex. XP

Oh, and gg has released Stage 2 of Code Geass, typos mostly fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia833 View Post
It would? Despite the rumblings of the press youtube still seems to be the wretched hive of scum and villainy it always was. If they've actually toughened up since their last blanket ban they've done a good job of hiding it.
I don't think it's just Sunrise series, but from what I've checked, Code Geass and Iroha all got removed for copyright infrigement. Some companies are more critical than others, I suppose.

Quote:
The only plagiarism I heard relating to D.Gray-Man was kinda of a motif-borrowing from Death Note. Even then, it's more vague since it relates merely to cover/chapter page. Aside from that, most shonens rip each other off anyway. Some are worse than the other for pose stealings, like how Black Cat practically copied some scenes from HxH.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 08:01   Link #300
StanAce
Opinionated Fool

Quote:
Even though I totally agree with you about the oversubbing of certain series, I wish people would give the argument that it has CLAMP designs a rest. They do not make the show what it is, even if they are by CLAMP or anyone else popular.

haha, what can I say? For some people, the fact that it had CLAMP designs is probably one of the initial reasons to have interest towards this series. Surely, the CLAMP designs themselves don't make up what CODE GEASS is as a whole, but it provides that little bit of publicity in the screening process. Besides, we all know it's not the only merit of the show. =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
I don't think it's just Sunrise series, but from what I've checked, Code Geass and Iroha all got removed for copyright infrigement. Some companies are more critical than others, I suppose.
Those crazy youtube kids. You have no idea how much it annoys me to see not one computer available for schoolwork in the school library because every single fag is on youtube watching some wierd video or anime. Google recently bought out youtube, so you can probably expect more videos being removed because of "Copyright Infringement". They recently removed 30000 Jap videos from what I remember. It's only a matter of time before anime disappears from youtube. Oh yeah, if you happen to be the one who uploaded something thats copyrighted, youtube will give out your personal information to companies that wish to sue you.
StanAce is offline   Reply With Quote