AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-09, 20:58   Link #161
firestalker5

So I got bored today and just started doing this...
Spoiler:
*All the pages indicated in this thread are calculated from the Baka-Tsuki PDF files. Basically anything not story related and all images were excluded.

So according to my calculations the series will be about 17.5 episodes if they just stay to the main story and the few SS we KNOW they're doing.

Of course this only if they follow the stories to the absolute letter [which we know they aren't doing].

Based on the titles of the next few episodes we can hypothesis that they are going to shorten the Aria SS from 3 episodes down to 1 episode. Based on that information we can make the assumptions that anything under 3 episodes can, and will most likely be, shortened to 1 episode.

Based on that information you can say this now... the SAO main story and SS will be between 12 and 13 Episodes long. Even if they length one or two of the SS that will only change it to a moderate length of maybe 14 and 15 episodes. Of course they won't go word for word so you can probably even short the main story to 6 episodes.

So.... unless they are going to add more SS and a lot of fillers that will distract and break up the pacing of the story, I can't really see how they are going to make this a 24-26 episode series based solely on the SAO arc.

Now let's see what the ALO arc is...
Spoiler:

So it's only about 10 episodes long [if they do it word for word]. If they were to add it as the last half of the series it would definitely fit nicely there...

15 Episodes [SAO arc max amount of episodes]
11 Episodes [ALO arc max amount of episodes, plus one for good measure]
26 Episodes

So there you have it... My bored ramblings and calculations for this series. Before you say it YES! I have way too much time on my hands.

*All calculations are approximate and at the very best are guesses [though educated ones]. This mostly as a bored thing to kill time, but I thought it was interesting and so decided to post it.
firestalker5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 21:01   Link #162
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

^Can't see the first image?

Edit: Fixed

Btw, aren't you assuming that the studio would choose the animate the same amount of information from each chapter? I'd say episode 1 isn't necessarily the best one to extrapolate how much the writers are going to condense the LN because the first 45 pages of the LN likely contained a lot more vital info that the reader needs to know (setting up the premise of the story) than say, chapters 16 or 17.

Last edited by Rennir; 2012-07-09 at 21:06. Reason: Nvm...
Rennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 21:04   Link #163
Ray
Garnet

I'm sorry; I couldn't help but laugh..

But in all seriousness, sure, why the hell not? 26 episodes sounds good.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 21:13   Link #164
firestalker5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
^Can't see the first image?

Edit: Fixed

Btw, aren't you assuming that the studio would choose the animate the same amount of information from each chapter? I'd say episode 1 isn't necessarily the best one to extrapolate how much the writers are going to condense the LN because the first 45 pages of the LN likely contained a lot more vital info that the reader needs to know (setting up the premise of the story) than say, chapters 16 or 17.
Like I said... It's a best guess at this stage. I made my educated guess based on the first episode. I'm really sure that I'm going to be off on the numbers by a lot.

I'm not worried about it... This was just to kill time mostly, but the way it turned out was kind interesting to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
I'm sorry; I couldn't help but laugh..

But in all seriousness, sure, why the hell not? 26 episodes sounds good.
I kind of figured people would... It's not meant to be taken to seriously, though the calculations were done with all earnestness. They could do it in 24 if they really wanted to, but I like the round number of 26 better
firestalker5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 21:25   Link #165
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
If you're going to say that, he clearly already had the power to stop Sugou anyway, so why didn't he in the first place? Freeing Asuna wouldn't have been any more hax than him completely overriding all of Sugou's commands.
Hence why I said both scenarios were DEM, but at least in ALO ghost Kayaba had to be assembled and awakened by Kirito's RESOLVE POWER, obviously since they're each others RIVAL BROS, something Asuna was not.

Quote:
How so?
And if anything was enhanced as you say, where did her awesome rapier skills go?
I was talking about the strength of Asuna's character from a literary perspective, not just some in-game stats. In her case, super hax0r rapier skills of DOOM wouldn't have done anything anyway, when was the last time you tried and succeeded in beating a GM in an MMO?

Quote:
"Too many"? We only had Kirito since Asuna got the shaft.
There's a problem when a trope you pick undermines one of the positive factors of a character in order to pull itself off. Like I said, it would have been one thing if Asuna had just been that type of character from the beginning (I still wouldn't have liked it, but at least it would have been consistent), but even the SAO side stories depict her to be an awesome fighter, and then she's suddenly locked in a cage to essentially do nothing in ALO.
One can be too many as it is, much less two :P

Like it or not, Asuna is a secondary character to Kirito, and ALO was for Kirito to shine. And as far as I'm concerned, Asuna has always been a strong and determined character, something that begin in SAO, and continued through ALO and beyond. The trials she faced in ALO only made her character stronger, something no in-game abilities or lack thereof can take away.

Last edited by kyp275; 2012-07-10 at 02:39.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 02:33   Link #166
maelstormCaT

The math has spoken!
The anime will cover ALO as well!
maelstormCaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 02:48   Link #167
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstormCaT View Post
The math has spoken!
The anime will cover ALO as well!
My god, what a revelation!
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 03:08   Link #168
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Urgh, I really hope they don't compress the Aria SS into one episode. There's plenty of material in that arc to last 2 easily, without stretching it out. Conversely, shrinking it into 1 episode would make it rushed. The length of episode 1 was perfect, and I hope they continue to use that judgement of length for the rest of the series. I may have been disappointed that they're apparently doing the side stories first, but since they most likely are doing them, I'd rather they do them well instead of rushing them.
Not sure how likely 2 episodes is going to be though, since the 2nd anime PV had scenes from all across Aria and they usually don't take scenes from past the first episode or two.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:18   Link #169
kyp275
Meh

from the Paris pre-screen it COULD be 1 episode... but it was incomplete, so who knows.
Old 2012-07-10, 04:02   Link #170
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
when was the last time you tried and succeeded in beating a GM in an MMO?
I believe the last and only time it happen was in Ultima Online 15 years ago

Back to topic, I too prefer this 26 episodes anime to cover only SAO arc with cliffhanger ending and anticipation for next season.
Of cause, with SAO and its current SS alone, there won't be enough material to cover 26 Ep. anime. If they stretch that into 26 ep., it'll be very very bad for pacing.

One solution would be making a lot of original fillers. If they are doing it right it will be good and smooth storytelling out. But from what we saw, They won't do that. Next episode will cover the whole Aria SS else Ep2 title won't be BEATER which is Aria ending. First Day will likely not be adapted. Judging from PV, Ep3 will likely continue with RNR. They skip, compress and rush through the story. So I don't think this first solution would be the case.

Then another solution would be a 13 Ep for SAO and another 13 for ALO which is fine as well. Better pacing and more completed ending is alway welcome. Also, I personally prefer fast-pace story-telling, better too fast than too slow.
The problem I have with this solution is that there are a lot of time gap between each SS. We will have a couple of months and a dozen of floors jump in every episodes.This may make anime feel discontinue. I hope they have a plan for that.

And how will they adapt RNR ? Will they do one Ep about Kirito looking for rez item with BCFM guild as a flashback ? Or will they do 1 EP about the guild then another one for Rez item later on ? Again, judging from the PV they will perhap go for the former.
I can imagine problems first time viewers will have with this. Kline who Kirito abandoned in Ep1 miraclely survive and appear again in Ep3 without any explanation ? Kirito who was just branded BEATER in ep2 tell Kline he actually join a guild afterward and they all die ? well, I do have to agree that it sound somewhat ridiculous. I don't know, if the execution is good they may be overlooked.

Last edited by Hmm....; 2012-07-10 at 05:32.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 04:14   Link #171
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
I believe the last and only time it happen was in Ultima Online 15 years ago
touche

My biggest worry with SAO is how they'll handle the transition with weaving in and out of the various side stories and the accompanied time skips. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 2012-07-10, 04:49   Link #172
maelstormCaT

Quote:

And how will they adapt RNR ? Will they do one Ep about Kirito looking for rez item and BCFM guild as a flashback ? Or will they do 1 EP about the guild then another one for Rez item ? Again, judging from the PV they will perhap go for the former.
I can imagine problems first time viewers will have with this. Kline who Kirito abandoned in Ep1 miraclely survive and appear again in Ep3 without any explanation ? Kirito who was just branded BEATER in ep2 tell Kline he actually join a guild afterward and they all die ? well, I do have to agree that it sound somewhat ridiculous. I don't know, if the execution is good they may be overlooked.
Red Nosed Reindeer is a flashback chapter if I remember correctly. The story jumped back and forth between present and past.

Maybe the anime will cover the past flashback of the chapter only? That would allow it to fit the whole thing in one episode.
Old 2012-07-10, 05:09   Link #173
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Next episode will cover the whole Aria SS else Ep2 title won't be BEATER which is Aria ending.
Yeah I was about to point that out. GRRRR.

At least it'll be the introduction of Asuna which may help reduce the damage from the crunch-rush. (that'll probably work best only for us novel readers, though)

Seriously, I'd definitely want them to put ALO on hold for a second season and make S1 purely about SAO if it meant they wouldn't rush it like that.
Old 2012-07-10, 05:15   Link #174
maelstormCaT

Just a thought, for Aria in the Starless Sky

The first time I read that side story, I can't help but noticed an inconsistency with the main story.
Main story depicted Kirito and Asuna's first real conversation somewhere around floor 40, and yet in the side story the two met pretty damn early with Asuna making Kirito as her target (or something).

Maybe the anime will smooth over the inconsistency? changing a few things?
If they do it right it could easily slid the whole side story into one episode.
Old 2012-07-10, 05:48   Link #175
novalysis

Quote:

The first time I read that side story, I can't help but noticed an inconsistency with the main story.
Main story depicted Kirito and Asuna's first real conversation somewhere around floor 40, and yet in the side story the two met pretty damn early with Asuna making Kirito as her target (or something).

They might rearrange the plot together. Kirito and Asuna spent only 9 months out of the 2 years together in the original LN, right? Perhaps the anime might rejiggle the time-line, and bring both of them together much earlier? Say, just before the 1 year mark?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 05:52   Link #176
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
They might rearrange the plot together. Kirito and Asuna spent only 9 months out of the 2 years together in the original LN, right? Perhaps the anime might rejiggle the time-line, and bring both of them together much earlier? Say, just before the 1 year mark?
Thats is posssible. The author had a say or present at the time the anime was being put together. So maybe .
Old 2012-07-10, 05:54   Link #177
Hmm....

yea, I noticed some of that as well.
The one that ticker me most would be
In volume 1, Kirito said he reach 6th floor during beta.
In Aria, Kirito said he saw boss's katana skill from 10th floor.
In anime Ep1, Kirito now said he reach 8th floor during beta.
yea talk about consistency
Let's see, in Ep2, form which floor, Kirito have seen those katana skills from lol

Also there are two battle I would love them to be animated. 25th and 50th floor boss battle. I would love those army fellow to have some more screen time and more Heathcliff as an allied. That would make for more feeling of betrayal. Some OVA perhap ?? ^^"
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 06:15   Link #178
novalysis

Quote:
yea, I noticed some of that as well.
The one that ticker me most would be
In volume 1, Kirito said he reach 6th floor during beta.
In Aria, Kirito said he saw boss's katana skill from 10th floor.
In anime Ep1, Kirito now said he reach 8th floor during beta.
yea talk about consistency
Let's see, in Ep2, form which floor, Kirito have seen those katana skills from lol

Also there are two battle I would love them to be animated. 25th and 50th floor boss battle. I would love those army fellow to have some more screen time and more Heathcliff as an allied. That would make for more feeling of betrayal. Some OVA perhap ?? ^^"
If the whole of SAO is 26 episodes, and they leave ALO for later, then I'd say that the 25th and 50th floor boss battle may well be animated, as original stories.

On that same note, they might indeed shift First Day and retell a variant of it, say three months into the time-line. Pity Aria is going to be very short, it seems. If Aria had two episodes, then a variant of First Day's main theme (homesickness) may serve as a good fourth episode.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 06:36   Link #179
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:

Yeah, remember that the Aria side story didn't exist yet when the author wrote volume 1. At the time he was writing the material that was later used to make volume 1 of the LN, SAO was just a web novel, so he probably didn't expect to be writing a more detailed and better version of their first meeting at the time.
They'll probably just redo that chat in volume 1 to talk about the events of Aria instead of the volume 1 version.
Old 2012-07-10, 07:14   Link #180
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Well that was basically Kayaba's plan. The final floor boss to be an epic one to one duel between him and Kirito with them being the last of the clearers that had remained. Of course that would still leave the thousands of players who refused to play or played extremely cautiously and slowly leveling up.
Since there are 10 unique skills (only 9, since Kayaba has one) he probably envisioned it as an epic showdown 1 against 9.
Players without an unique skill were planned to die while advancing, quite a sad fate.

Which leads me to ask, are the other 8 unique skills known, by name at least? Dual Blades was given to the one with the fastest reaction time, so the players that are chosen are the ones who excel and has no equal in one category.
Kirito got Dual Blades after a year, I don't think the other 8 skills have such a hard pre-requirement that no one managed to gain one during two years of SAO?