AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2014-05-24, 12:54   Link #33461
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Neither have I...I'm terrible when it comes to building Gundam models, and I'll probably wind up building this one in late July or something
Old 2014-05-24, 16:35   Link #33462
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
Neither have I...I'm terrible when it comes to building Gundam models, and I'll probably wind up building this one in late July or something
Practice makes perfect!

Which is another way of saying buy more models to get better and succumb to Bandai's grand scheme of draining your money

A good way to practice is to buy the 1/144 NG kits from SEED or AGE, they are extremely simple kits and cheap (around $5, barely any articulation, few pieces, and lots of missing colors), perfect for practicing all the different model building/painting/customization techniques. Get one or two and practice to your hearts content
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-24, 18:21   Link #33463
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I should clarify I'm terrible at keeping up with my hobbies, so it takes me quite a while to build things. My first kit was the HG 00 Raiser+GN Sword III, and the last one I built was the MG Nu Gundam (Ver Ka.) last year. I concur that extra practise would be helpful
Old 2014-05-24, 19:44   Link #33464
Skye629

Quote:
I should clarify I'm terrible at keeping up with my hobbies, so it takes me quite a while to build things. My first kit was the HG 00 Raiser+GN Sword III, and the last one I built was the MG Nu Gundam (Ver Ka.) last year. I concur that extra practise would be helpful
Ur terrible with keeping up? Tell that to us who have a backlog of unbuilt kits sitting around

I got 15 unbuilt kits sitting on my shelf collecting dust lol and around 10 kits in a box under my bed awaiting repairs
Old 2014-05-24, 23:42   Link #33465
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

...but you guys aren't building it for competition, are you?
So far the only competition-worthy kit I'm 90% done with is my MG Jesta that's been 2 years in the making. I was hoping to get some others done before then but lots of OT at work, the weather not agreeing with me (rai prevented me from doing paint) plus disasters (let's say the Miss Sazabi kit...was NOT what I was hoping it would be) and other things (beep bop boop stuff crashing down and breaking)...yeah.
http://www.modelexpo.com.au/

...and that's just my Gundam kits. Don't even go into my aircraft or armor kits.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-27, 01:07   Link #33466
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

SO work is progressing on my Banshee Norn. Thanks to getting a desk lamp, I can now direct more light on my kit when building. Great for seeing exactly how much dust is collecting, not so great for my own piece of mind.

I have the torso, backpack, arms and legs assembled, and now have only the shield, hips and weapons to make. I've decided that once I finish assembly, I'll topcoat my Banshee, and probably most of my other kits. As an experiment, I'll try topcoat my GM Command first, as a test. How would you guys suggest I go about topcoating?

Also, I've actually put on the banshee's reflective gold stickers on. Matte topcoat will take away the bling, won't it? -_-

ALso... oh my god, MG Banshee Norn + Full Armor parts. All my OMGWTF.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-27, 20:16   Link #33467
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
SO work is progressing on my Banshee Norn. Thanks to getting a desk lamp, I can now direct more light on my kit when building. Great for seeing exactly how much dust is collecting, not so great for my own piece of mind.

I have the torso, backpack, arms and legs assembled, and now have only the shield, hips and weapons to make. I've decided that once I finish assembly, I'll topcoat my Banshee, and probably most of my other kits. As an experiment, I'll try topcoat my GM Command first, as a test. How would you guys suggest I go about topcoating?

Also, I've actually put on the banshee's reflective gold stickers on. Matte topcoat will take away the bling, won't it? -_-

Generally Matte looks better on UC kits

But you better start masking the stickers and clear parts, or they are gonna fog over with the matte spray
Old 2014-05-27, 20:33   Link #33468
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Generally Matte looks better on UC kits

But you better start masking the stickers and clear parts, or they are gonna fog over with the matte spray
Yeah, that's what I figured. Hence I'm going to experiment with my GM Command on how to spray, then I'll panel line and spray my Command Space, and then do the rest of my kits.

Memo to self: next time, spray then sticker. -_-

I believe in miracles.

Old 2014-05-29, 18:42   Link #33469
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
I know certain people love additional accessories, but that is an utter overkill for me

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-29, 19:50   Link #33470
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I know certain people love additional accessories, but that is an utter overkill for me

- Tak
You mean people like me: I feel that the accessories gives the mobile suit a 'ready for battle' feeling I guess that's why kits like the 00 Seven Sword/G and Full Armour Unicorn are so appealing. They're just bristling with weapons!
Old 2014-05-29, 19:59   Link #33471
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You mean people like me: I feel that the accessories gives the mobile suit a 'ready for battle' feeling I guess that's why kits like the 00 Seven Sword/G and Full Armour Unicorn are so appealing. They're just bristling with weapons!
The Seven Sword/G though is bristling with weapons in a somewhat more restrained manner, with swords that actually fit the outline and purpose of the 00 without making it look too top heavy. Full Armour Unicorn is just complete and total overkill.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-29, 20:03   Link #33472
Death Usagi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post
MUH IDEALS know no common sense

That feeling when you need to rent a fucking auto-shop facility to paint it properly
What size is that again...?
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-29, 21:12   Link #33473
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Usagi View Post
What size is that again...?
1/144 scale kit, the smallest sized line that is still running
Old 2014-05-29, 23:00   Link #33474
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
The Seven Sword/G though is bristling with weapons in a somewhat more restrained manner, with swords that actually fit the outline and purpose of the 00 without making it look too top heavy. Full Armour Unicorn is just complete and total overkill.
To be fair, if there was ever a time Banagher needed overkill, this was it.

...Cherudim SAGA when, Bandai?

I believe in miracles.

Old 2014-05-30, 11:29   Link #33475
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I have to admit... I do like some overkill designs, but with those I have very specific taste in their aesthetics.

Spoiler for For example:

Quote:
You didn't... by chance... ordered the Neo-Zeong, did you?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 11:50   Link #33476
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
You didn't... by chance... ordered the Neo-Zeong, did you?

- Tak
I'm not rich or crazy enough to order the Neo Zeong...plus, I have no space to store it. I like overkill designs within reason With its cost, I could go buy a new video card, or go out for wings and Irish Nachos at least fifteen times
Old 2014-05-30, 23:57   Link #33477
AHT

that ss
AHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-31, 06:40   Link #33478
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Work continues on Banshee Norn. Will check my salary tomorrow - if it's beyond a certain threshold, I'll get the FA Unicorn Destroy green frame, plus gray marker, gold marker and flat coat.

And now i need to find a tutorial on making dazzle camo or urban digital.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2014-05-31, 08:43   Link #33479
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
And now i need to find a tutorial on making dazzle camo or urban digital.
- Buy masking stencils/decals or cutting out a LOT of tiny masking tape squares. Digicam is a PAIN to do.

One way I've seen done (for guns, not model kits) is to get a bit of netting or a mesh bag, use masking sol or white glue to 'draw' a pattern on it, and then spray over it using a spray can. The effect is like this (pattern varies depending on how fine your mesh is):
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-01, 22:03   Link #33480
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Noted. Guess I'll have to go looking.

Also, it's been suggested to me that for max bling on my Banshee, I should do gloss coat, decal, gloss the bling decals, then mask them and matte coat the rest of the body. Thoughts?

It's also been suggested to use gloss as the first layer to seal in the detailing, and then matte coat.

I believe in miracles.

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy