AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-06, 00:40   Link #221
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

So yeah, it sports a few hackneyed concepts, but I don't care. It's light, straightforward fun that I can get behind...and it serves as a good balance to Durarara in my weekly anime diet.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 03:42   Link #222
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Watched the first ep...the story is always cliche at first, so I overlooked this...but the characters really screwed it up for me, I know Heroman's a robot but why does everyone else have to act like one too? I know it's only the beginning, but still...the main character has to do something to FEEL like a main character. I mean, besides saving the world:P
Am I the only one seeing it this way?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 07:39   Link #223
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
The only thing that annoyed me was the other people in the car crash wasn't saved...
They were standing outside the car/truck before they scrambled out of the way when Lina's car crashed into it.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 14:50   Link #224
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Heroman is surely cliched as countless posters have mentioned before me - but in a good way.

The pseudo-US setting is kind of interesting. I am not too bothered with the blatant effort to push the American-ness beyond the reasonable level, and consider the story to take place in a parallel world. At least it is much more refreshing than the all-too-common Japanese school settings.

In the very essence it is a classic Japanese robot show, with stereotypical Japanese characters summoning/piloting Japanese robots fighting typical "Japanese" aliens. I have watched many of those in the early 90s when I was a primary kid. Yes, the story is straight-forward with little intellectual inspiration value. Regardless, I still greatly enjoyed them as a kid.

This show reminds me of the feeling of watching anime as a kid, when I was still not "tainted" by late-night otaku shows and genuinely enjoyed my daily dose of anime after school every day.

An interesting thing is that I have tried rewatching those robot shows some time ago but I was totally bored. On the other hand for unknown reasons this show successfully captured the same feeling of watching robot anime as a kid and I was totally excited when watching it. Maybe my anime exposure in my recent years have raised my requirements to visual presentation, but even myself find this to be a weak argument at best.

Anyway I think this show targets both people like me and young kids. For anime fans that had not been "intoxicated" by Japanese robot shows when they were kids, they will likely find this show boring, though.
Old 2010-04-06, 20:17   Link #225
Jarmel

I had a TL;DR post about the first episode but I'll hold off on it for now. The first episode was extremely generic but it's a solid starting point. The question is are the bug villains going to be the main villains or a leading point into the more serious ones. After all a hero is only as good as his rogue gallery. Also I think the series would benefit to being atleast 26 if not a solid 50 episodes long.

Speculation wise, it seems Heroman has it's own personality and consciousness but the inherent problem is that Joey doesn't really do much of his own except not get killed and hitting a button. It seems more of a partnership than Joey getting superpowers.

I also found the brother somewhat believable. He isn't picking on Joey randomly but rather just being an overprotective brother who thinks Joey is worthless and not worth Lina's time. As you can later see Lina's family is serious business so it makes sense.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 01:24   Link #226
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So Heroman is essential Giant Robo then eh? I don't know, while this did feel a little tropish it also felt experimental in style for today's anime environment. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for so this opener was enough to win me over for now. It's pretty obvious, but the animation is definitely top notch and the show looks to have a good budget as well so I think we are in business.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 02:31   Link #227
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So Heroman is essential Giant Robo then eh? I don't know, while this did feel a little tropish it also felt experimental in style for today's anime environment. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for so this opener was enough to win me over for now. It's pretty obvious, but the animation is definitely top notch and the show looks to have a good budget as well so I think we are in business.
I still think it's more like digimon. Pet who fights in your place.

And Heroman compared to other robots isn't that big.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 03:28   Link #228
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
I still think it's more like digimon. Pet who fights in your place.

And Heroman compared to other robots isn't that big.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Robo_(OVA)
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 05:57   Link #229
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah it's pretty much the Giant Robo set-up. No way near that level though at the moment.
Old 2010-04-07, 10:35   Link #230
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacone View Post
Good Anime for drinking game
Finland ey?

Wanna go, next episode?

Oh and asking Americans here, do you really have 20 American flags on a main road in a West Coast city?

Even here where I live you don't see the national flag very often (like say one for every block). You mostly see them at very important buildings or once say after walking 10 blocks.

Does anyone know if 2chan approves of all the American flags in this episode?
Old 2010-04-07, 14:37   Link #231
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Nothing original but it wasnt bad. Joey´s friend(psy) hair is instant win
BTW its a lil bit too much with heroman´s design and all the usa flags IMO.
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 14:49   Link #232
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Quote:
Finland ey?

Wanna go, next episode?

Oh and asking Americans here, do you really have 20 American flags on a main road in a West Coast city?

Even here where I live you don't see the national flag very often (like say one for every block). You mostly see them at very important buildings or once say after walking 10 blocks.

Does anyone know if 2chan approves of all the American flags in this episode?
Should have confessed that I only noticed 4 flags, if you count one Robo had, though I weren't ready for game or I just unconciously ignored most of em. Maybe I have drinks ready for next ep

Sure this anime shouts "America, we are telling about American dream!!!! (with japanese flavour...ofc)", but it didn't really annoy me now and earilier when I checked manga... should I check if they added few flags for anime.
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 03:52   Link #233
NinjaYali
Banned

So someone lowered my rep cause I was being too American. Well I say fuck him. Here's another dose of patriotism.
Only a matter of time before this happened.

Quote:
Sure this anime shouts "America, we are telling about American dream!!!! (with japanese flavour...ofc)", but it didn't really annoy me now and earilier when I checked manga... should I check if they added few flags for anime.
Challenge accepted then? Who else wants to join in the drinking game (doesn't have to be only vodka). Drink whenever you see an American flag although I got a feeling the amount of flags will be toned down in 2nd episode.

Well, think I've got a one can of whisky left.
Old 2010-04-08, 05:30   Link #234
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Joey is so adorable when he's determined.
Spoiler for Episode 02:
Old 2010-04-08, 05:55   Link #235
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
So someone lowered my rep cause I was being too American. Well I say fuck him. Here's another dose of patriotism.

zomg!!
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 06:42   Link #236
Ghostfriendly

Decent second episode, with good superpowers advice. And how sweet, Joey's a hero to his grandmother.

Spoiler for ep 2:
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 08:13   Link #237
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Judging by his reaction I'll be mighty impressed if the jock doesn't defect at some point.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 08:37   Link #238
Fawx9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Judging by his reaction I'll be mighty impressed if the jock doesn't defect at some point.
I swore I was watching Brock 2.0 during that scene. They might be making it a bit too obvious

Overall the second episode was a a lot of fun. The first part dragged a bit but other than that this is turning out good.
Fawx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 09:01   Link #239
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:

This wasn't edited at all? Wow, it syncs like a mediocre/average AMV.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 09:31   Link #240
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Loving the show so far, I just hope that pointy head doesn't ruin it for me.

Great aliens

Tags
bones, mecha