Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-13, 15:02   Link #261
lsley
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_star View Post
Is this too big to enter? (Sorry for being a bother!)
go to "save for web and devices"
then choose jpg, it will tell you the size, just decrease the quality until you're under 50kb. normally ~96% should be enough maybe you can even save it with 100%

better go for ~48 kb since it mustn't be more than 50.000 bytes. and 50kb are more than 50.000
Old 2008-07-13, 15:11   Link #262
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

I can reuse this old signature for this contest? It is from May Contest.

Maybe I use this second anyway

Old 2008-07-13, 15:13   Link #263
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Good tags everyone.
Old 2008-07-13, 15:20   Link #264
chocolate_star
Amuto follower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsley View Post
go to "save for web and devices"
then choose jpg, it will tell you the size, just decrease the quality until you're under 50kb. normally ~96% should be enough maybe you can even save it with 100%

better go for ~48 kb since it mustn't be more than 50.000 bytes. and 50kb are more than 50.000
Thank you very much lsley!
So I'm guessing this is okay to enter? If so,

Final Entry:
Old 2008-07-13, 16:29   Link #265
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHoney View Post
It's due to users that still or might use dial-up and having sig+avatars over 50kb on the same page could kill their bandwidth. Well it's along the lines of that.
And that is the reason for this implemented in the forums:
Spoiler for Image:

But whatever, the quality isn't really that much of a drop, right?

FINAL ENTRY
Old 2008-07-14, 00:00   Link #266
aolas
King Of The Night Sky
*Graphic Designer

here the edited version of my precious entry

add the sun & lowered the sharpness too, although i still thinking the sun it's little weird
Old 2008-07-14, 00:06   Link #267
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
But whatever, the quality isn't really that much of a drop, right?
It depends, sometimes gif with high frame can actually drop to a rate of pixel'ed, there are also times when tags can get up to 100 KB even if its canvas is small so it is a huge drop depending on the signature. Like PNG formatted image's quality and a compressed quality JPG is a huge difference although you might not be able to see it clearly; artist ALWAYS tend to use PNG rather than JPG which are used to website so they can load faster. Well just for your info.

Last edited by Izayoi; 2008-07-14 at 01:07.
Old 2008-07-14, 00:08   Link #268
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aolas View Post
add the sun & lowered the sharpness too, although i still thinking the sun it's little weird
It should be weird, its position doesn't match the shadows on the characters...

The shadows suggest a "noon-ish" sun to me...
Old 2008-07-14, 00:42   Link #269
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aolas View Post
here the edited version of my precious entry

It should be on top right portion of the sig.. if you draw a sharp straight line on top of the summer text.. the sun is approximately above sum
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-07-14, 01:30   Link #270
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsilya~ View Post
It depends, sometimes gif with high frame can actually drop to a rate of pixel'ed, there are also times when tags can get up to 100 KB even if its canvas is small so it is a huge drop depending on the signature. Like PNG formatted image's quality and a compressed quality JPG is a huge difference although you might not be able to see it clearly; artist ALWAYS tend to use PNG rather than JPG which are used to website so they can load faster. Well just for your info.
Well, that is true, hence the reason why I've shown the image in spoiler. Just like "The hybrid", I was wondering, why does this place have such limitations in size for sigs when there are options for dialers to shut images down. Not to mention I don't believe there could be any dialers left. But I understand Admins want anyone to see everything, so I can't really blame them.

Spoiler for OT considering loading times:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Believe it or not, but the limits you see now are actually the "extended" ones. A few years back, the limits for sigs were much smaller.
Can't imagine the sigs from back then.

Last edited by Larthak; 2008-07-14 at 01:49.
Old 2008-07-14, 01:36   Link #271
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Well, that is true, hence the reason why I've shown the image in spoiler. Just like "The hybrid", I was wondering, why does this place have such limitations in size for sigs when there are options for dialers to shut images down. Not to mention I don't believe there could be any dialers left. But I understand Admins want anyone to see everything, so I can't really blame them.

Spoiler for OT considering loading times:
Actually people will still downloaded from the spoilers so it doesn't help, well I think. Getting offtopic, PM me if you want to continue.

Back on topic: Good tag everyone.
Old 2008-07-14, 01:38   Link #272
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Well, that is true, hence the reason why I've shown the image in spoiler. Just like "The hybrid", I was wondering, why does this place have such limitations in size for sigs
Believe it or not, but the limits you see now are actually the "extended" ones. A few years back, the limits for sigs were much smaller.
Old 2008-07-14, 05:30   Link #273
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Well, I decided to check the forums again today (I know, I said it would be a bit before I posted again in my last post, sue me ) and saw the question of sig size come up. Figured I'd address it real quick before I head off to bed.

The reason the SOTM enforces the forum sig rule limit is to avoid potential moderation headaches with people using the entries as actual signatures. It also provides a level of challenge for some, especially in regards to animation and transparencies. Without getting into an argument about quality vs size, that's the contest rule and it isn't changing unless the forum rules change.

Now, about the reasons for the forum size limits. I can't speak for the site staff, as they probably have their own reasons, but my guess is that it has something to do with storage and server bandwidth. Many people use the site to store and display their signatures and avatars, and I believe that the size limits are intentional to help keep costs down because of the hosting feature.

As I'm sure most people who come here notice, there aren't many ads on either the main site or the forums. However other forums, that do not have restrictions on size limits, do tend to have ads (although some have features where you can have them not display by donating or some other pay feature).

That's my guess anyway. For an official answer, you'd probably be better off just asking the site staff directly.

All things considered the size limit is a minor inconvenience. Compressing the image might lower the quality a little bit but if done correctly most people would never know the difference without someone using comparisons. It is a downer for animations, but there is still room to be creative, if you are willing to deal with a little bit of hair pulling. It's easier to think of the size limits as a creative challenge rather than a technical obstacle.

And with that, I'm out. Good luck everyone, I'll try and check back in later this week to see how things are going.
Old 2008-07-14, 06:33   Link #274
konstargirl
Reisen FTW!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to konstargirl
Final entry:
Old 2008-07-14, 11:10   Link #275
Runa
Fallen Angel
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Runa Send a message via Yahoo to Runa
it's been a while,and i hope i'm not late.

here's my Final Entry^^ and good luck to all participants

Old 2008-07-14, 16:34   Link #276
kamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
From directly looking at it, I can't seem to figure out what it is trying to represent or describe. Incoming Rain? Adding a catch phrase to it will give it more identity ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
I have to agree here. Even though she has an umbrella, we don't know what's going on.
Another thing that I personally feel is that there isn't any season in it because it can rain all seasons. I guess you might have gone after fall or something but that's not clear..
Thanks for the help, I will use a different render then. ^^
Old 2008-07-14, 17:52   Link #277
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post

The reason the SOTM enforces the forum sig rule limit is to avoid potential moderation headaches with people using the entries as actual signatures.
Amen!

Ok here's my entry, not final vers just what Im working on. C&C is welcome.

Edit: Well crackers...even though I saved it as 48k, uploaded its now 53k...so yeah gonna have to change that Other then that, as stated C&C is welcome.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2008-07-14, 22:13   Link #278
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Amen!

Ok here's my entry, not final vers just what Im working on. C&C is welcome.

Edit: Well crackers...even though I saved it as 48k, uploaded its now 53k...so yeah gonna have to change that Other then that, as stated C&C is welcome.
Is it me or the cherry trees looks kinda blured too much?
Anyway, looks great so far and could use some quotes to fit with the feeling of the sig.

No wonder, you uploaded it to photobucket since it adds a lot of file size from your uploads.

You could upload it to imageshack if you want.
Old 2008-07-14, 22:17   Link #279
The Hybrid
Bankai...

Send a message via MSN to The Hybrid Send a message via Yahoo to The Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
First roundup entries. Do tell if there's anyone missing.
  1. Faeyice

2. SweetHoney

3. Ichigo-Sora

4. lsley

5. Aoie_Emesai

6. escimo

7. Evil Rick

8. AtomicoX

9. Sacchin

10. Miko Miko

11. Coe

12. CrowKenobi

13. KholdStare

All these entries are marked with final entry in their accompanying post. If I missed anyone, DONT edit any previous post, but make a new post marking them as your final entry. Those already included in the list are still free to edit their submission. I will start my next roundup starting from this post, thus any edit to the previous post will be ignored.

EDIT
Guess I'm still sleepy @.@ .. I've missed both yours and CK's entries >.< Gomen KholdStare
wheres mine? 0.o
Old 2008-07-14, 22:25   Link #280
markesellus
Undercover Mole
*Graphic Designer

Wow, the sigs are looking great guys! I'm going to have a hard time voting! When I checked voting period time I thought I'd miss it because I'm going on a trip! But that was in GMT, not my time. Looking forward to the rest of the signatures. Godd luck you guys!

Closed Thread

Tags
contest, signature, sotm