Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-18, 16:46   Link #361
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwaltzing View Post
Taking a closer look, I just thought it was a ~POSE~, but he could very well be holding a coffee cup. Oh Vincent if that is you please marry me etc.

Oh man, now I really can't wait! If they happen to TL chapter 3 it's going to be so hard to resist! Especially since I won't have subs for Episode 3 until a couple of days after it airs. XD;...
Last I checked, the LE Fam manga was translated up to Chapter 1. I haven't seen Chapter 2 or 3 yet translated.

The prologue manga that occurs between the two series is definitely not translated. Only the raw of Chapter 1 is out; Chapter 2 should have been out by now but isn't found anywhere.

It sucks that all the places that would sell NewType magazine where I live, only sell the English-language NewType magazine and none of its Japanese-language variants like NewType Ace. >< Even the two Japanese stores thirty and forty-five minutes away don't sell them.

With what's said so far by the other posters, I can't wait to see the next two episodes. Hopefully there is an explanation what those "moons" are. Until then, I'll hold until my theory what I think they could be.
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 17:06   Link #362
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian View Post
Chapter 2 should have been out by now but isn't found anywhere.
There is a /a/ that said he was going to scan Newtype Ace each month, but he get it like 2 weeks later (hopefully it's not just for Tiger&Bunny). Kind of sad nobody is translating it, if I was competent in Japanese I would do it, but I'm not.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 17:19   Link #363
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Ah, so it's a completely new ship. I had thought it was just a case of different translations between Silvana and Silvius.
Yup, can't wait to see what the Silvius can do and I'm expecting good things out of Tatiana, who as expected of one of Alex's pilots, has inherited Alex's style as she's clearly also got a vanship team to use as fighters and scouts, etc. in the OP.

Quote:
As for the negative nancies who say the CG hasn't improved or is worse, lol. Gonzo has made big improvements, and one only has to watch the two side by side to see how obvious that is. Last Exile is one of my favorite shows ever, and admitting its successor looks even better doesn't suddenly make Last Exile worse. I swear, people can be quite silly.
Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Considering neither princesses went "Who's that?" at the name of Sophia, I suppose it mean they know who she is. This probably mean that Anatoray have a good relationship with Turan.

Don't check Chapter 3. It spoil everything: what are the moons, why Ades Fed is attacking and more. Episode 3 should be quite .
Good point, by their reaction they seemed to know her name, I remember before the show aired wondering whether Sophia would already be on Earth too to tie into how Anatoray was going to directly relate to things and if they'd formed a new Anatoray on Earth as to how they'd set up the Silvius being their ship just like the Silvana.

Oh man, I must keep myself in the dark about the truth about this so that the third episode or so will have maximum impact just like other such revelations in the first series and just stick to my theories until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
The big question for me is: will there be someone as badass as Alex Rowe to root for in this one? Is Tatiana going to step up to that role? Or will it be someone else?

I'm not minding the disproportionate number of female main characters in this one as much as I thought I would so far, mostly because Dio is back, and that's enough for me for now. But yes, eagerly looking forward to Vincent's return as well. I've always liked him for some reason.
There's the question; one of the leaders needs to step up as the badass I could see Tatiana doing it with the Silvius. And if that's indeed Vincent he's another candidate who deserves some badass time as well.

I think the reason is that Vincent always came off really cool throughout the first series even when he ended up having to face Alex in the middle.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 17:29   Link #364
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Vincent's the kind of guy that could have easily been the hero of his own story. It's just too bad that the first series already had Alex Rowe, and how can you compete with that?

Hopefully he won't just be playing second fiddle this time around. He seems competent enough to take center stage this time.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 17:45   Link #365
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
There's the question; one of the leaders needs to step up as the badass
I would assume Luskiana will be the Alex Rowe figure of this series; he just happens to be playing for the antagonists, rather than protagonists. I mean, the guy's got an eye-patch. That pretty much instills automatic badass status, right?

Though, I won't be surprised in the least if Luskinia ends up being one of those characters that highlights the age old dilemma of whether the ends justify the means, with the "ends" being something suitably tragic-heroic in nature. Nor will I be surprised if this threat from the Ades Federation ends up being a smokescreen for what will end up being the real threat/danger that our heroes end up fighting, with Luskinia even ending up being on the "good" side by the time episode 24 rolls around.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 19:04   Link #366
DangerMouse

Quote:
Vincent's the kind of guy that could have easily been the hero of his own story. It's just too bad that the first series already had Alex Rowe, and how can you compete with that?

Hopefully he won't just be playing second fiddle this time around. He seems competent enough to take center stage this time.
Definitely.

Yeah I agree if he really gets involved he deserves not to play second fiddle a second time, he was always skilled and charismatic enough to take center stage, he'd be an excellent choice to step up.

Maybe both he and Tatiana in fact since I could see this being an even wider fight with no Grand Stream.

Quote:
I would assume Luskiana will be the Alex Rowe figure of this series; he just happens to be playing for the antagonists, rather than protagonists. I mean, the guy's got an eye-patch. That pretty much instills automatic badass status, right?

Though, I won't be surprised in the least if Luskinia ends up being one of those characters that highlights the age old dilemma of whether the ends justify the means, with the "ends" being something suitably tragic-heroic in nature. Nor will I be surprised if this threat from the Ades Federation ends up being a smokescreen for what will end up being the real threat/danger that our heroes end up fighting, with Luskinia even ending up being on the "good" side by the time episode 24 rolls around.
Hehe. Quite true.
Old 2011-10-18, 19:21   Link #367
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

So, if Vincent does return in all his glory...who else is hoping he'd finally make his move on Sophia?

Is it bad that I'm totally giddy about seeing all the old characters, yet don't really care that much for the new ones? Well, I guess they've still got time to grow on me.
Old 2011-10-18, 19:44   Link #368
azarhal

@Mirrinus You are not the only one who is a lot more interested to see the older character.s I can't wait for episode 4 (when Tatiana and Alister are supposed to show up).

As for who is our new badass.

Tatiana was already pretty badass and gun-ho in the first series. Hopefully, her "dere" phase didn't soften her too much. Her stare is able to make Dio shut-up too.

Vincent wasn't too bad either.
I expect Lusciana to be pretty awesome as well.
Dio might have his moment too, but I don't trust the OP.
Old 2011-10-18, 19:52   Link #369
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This doesn't seem to be the same kind of show as the original Last Exile, but it seems to be a very good show, nonetheless. The CG stuff is fabulous, and I for one really like the new characters so far. Good voice work all round, but particularly from Sawashiro Miyuki, who seems to me to blow everyone else off the stage when she speaks.

Like Guardian Enzo, I worry about the new writer -- who did the terrible Linebarrels and the enjoyable but a bit confusing Legendary Heroes. I actually like fanservice, but to start this show with Fam stripping to her (19th century) undies was a bit much. Maybe it's to declare immediately that this show will not be as innocent as that one was.

In fact, I am still bothered by that whole sleepwalking scene: in reality that jump might have dislocated her ankle and sent her plummeting to the ground. That's why bungee jumping uses elastic cord and a harness. I guess the scene served its purpose, but I wish they could have found a more rational way of doing it. I was too scared to be amused.

I haven't seen LE for quite a while, but for a long time I had it rated in my top five. Despite the fact that I dislike steampunk settings: give us modern or old-fashioned, don't try to mix the two, is my preference.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 20:11   Link #370
DangerMouse

Quote:
So, if Vincent does return in all his glory...who else is hoping he'd finally make his move on Sophia?

Is it bad that I'm totally giddy about seeing all the old characters, yet don't really care that much for the new ones? Well, I guess they've still got time to grow on me.
Not at all we're already connected to them after all. Though I think Fam, Giselle, and the Sky Pirates grew on me pretty fast and while I already started liking them Dio interacting with them and particularly Fam sealed it further.
Old 2011-10-18, 21:47   Link #371
azarhal

Looks like I won't have to spend time understanding the Greek character, somebody have done it already. Scroll down to Trivia.
Old 2011-10-18, 21:51   Link #372
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Looks like I won't have to spend time understanding the Greek character, somebody have done it already. Scroll down to Trivia.
"I Love Music very much! I have your ship, OK?"

The second part makes sense due to the Sky Pirates asking for the Lasas in exchange for saving them, but the first part is a real head scratcher.

I want to know what all the Greek on Dio's vanship says!
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 21:58   Link #373
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
In fact, I am still bothered by that whole sleepwalking scene: in reality that jump might have dislocated her ankle and sent her plummeting to the ground. That's why bungee jumping uses elastic cord and a harness. I guess the scene served its purpose, but I wish they could have found a more rational way of doing it. I was too scared to be amused.
That scene really bothered me too, since it made absolutely no sense aside from being an outrageous scene to start things off. Wouldn't have it been easier to just use a shorter piece of rope? That way, at least Fam would trip and wake up before she got anywhere near the door.
Old 2011-10-18, 23:47   Link #374
Jerseykid

omg my precious Dio, you live!

there better be a claus easter egg!

Last edited by Jerseykid; 2011-10-18 at 23:59.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 00:34   Link #375
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
okay, after watching the first episode, I definitly have to marathon all of last exile over the next week, because I don't remember a damn thing, it's been too long.
Old 2011-10-19, 02:14   Link #376
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Good episode with solid production values

I will admit, I was really worried at the first part, because it was kinda jarring to watch this right after the 1st season. One thing about the first LE was that there was hardly any blatant fanservice, and Fam starts out with it right away. Also, these 2 girls as leads-- I dunno, they really don't have the feel to it as Claus and Lavie did which had some chemistry right away by episode 1. Fam is pretty amusing though; her partner not as much.

On the other hand, they did throw us into some action without being overly convoluted and the return of Dio was no doubt a great source of lulz. It's good that he's still around, since he's frequently a showstealer with his crazy attitude and when he finally decided to do something, shit got going.

As to be expected, the music is excellent, and there's great shots of the ships. I don't know what to expect, but overall I like what I see. Umm.... 7/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 02:30   Link #377
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Solid opening, if not a little worrisome in certain parts like the opening scene.

I have to pretty much agree with Enzo. It looks and sounds fantastic, but everything seems to be there except the writer. I really, really loved the original and I just hope the feeling of the original isn't completely discarded for a more flamboyant style.

I'm definitely watching this regardless, but I need more assurance on the plot front. Also hope more returning characters make it back on screen (Where's Claus and Lavie!!). These new main characters don't quite have the same appeal so far.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 03:09   Link #378
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I will admit, I was really worried at the first part, because it was kinda jarring to watch this right after the 1st season. One thing about the first LE was that there was hardly any blatant fanservice, and Fam starts out with it right away. Also, these 2 girls as leads-- I dunno, they really don't have the feel to it as Claus and Lavie did which had some chemistry right away by episode 1. Fam is pretty amusing though; her partner not as much.
Well, Gissell is not a main character to begin with. Fam and princess Millia are the leads. There's an interview with Yuki Aoi (who voices Gissell) talking about this:

Quote:
Fam is is the hero and Miria the heroine, but Giselle is the partner. In my acting, it is most important to preserve the right feeling and distance between Fam and Miria. As the third person, I think of my role as being a go-between who can help their relationship. It’s the first time I have played a character like this whom the others depend on, and it is very difficult to keep the right balance, realizing that the two main characters are who the audience should be looking at.
So basically her character doesn't make much of an impression because she has to be careful not to overshadow the main characters (Fam and Millia).

Personally, I think it's a pity, since I kinda like Giselle and I wouldn't mind seeing her as a proper heroine. Besides, Millia is just a tsundere and that's not exactly my fetish.

Now that I think about it though, Lavie wasn't really the heroine of Last exile either, it was Alvis.
Old 2011-10-19, 03:19   Link #379
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Well, Gissell is not a main character to begin with. Fam and princess Millia are the leads. There's an interview with Yuki Aoi (who voices Gissell) talking about this:

So basically her character doesn't make much of an impression because she has to be careful not to overshadow the main characters (Fam and Millia).

Personally, I think it's a pity, since I kinda like Giselle and I wouldn't mind seeing her as a proper heroine. Besides, Millia is just a tsundere and that's not exactly my fetish.

Now that I think about it though, Lavie wasn't really the heroine of Last exile either, it was Alvis.
Hmm, I don't see why someone can't be intresting, just because they aren't main characters. Plenty of great not-so-main characaters have stolen many a show before. But in any case, because she is a co-pilot, she is going to have a lot of screentime regardless, so it'd be nice if both girls could get decent development.

And yea, Lavie could be considered not really the heroine of the first one, but that kinda drives my point home anyways.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 03:26   Link #380
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
And yea, Lavie could be considered not really the heroine of the first one, but that kinda drives my point home anyways.
You think so? AFAIK Lavie is overshadowed by a lot of characters. Tatiana for instance seems to be more prominent than her more often than not.

Anyway, overall I think the role of the protagonist's co-pilot is just a crappy role. I think the director/writters purposely push this character into the background fairly quickly in favor of other characters for some reason. At least that was what happened with Lavie IMO. I don't know why they do this, and I think it's a waste since there's a lot of potential in the co-pilot character IMO.

At any rate, I don't really disagree with you, but I can see there's a conscious decision (from the writer/director) for things to be this way.

Tags
adventure, science fiction