AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 488 56.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 237 27.56%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 58 6.74%
7 out of 10 : Good 44 5.12%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 1.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 0.70%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.12%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 0.81%
Voters: 860. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-02, 01:38   Link #181
jayfoxpox

10 because Yuki and haruhi's personality's are just so cute
Old 2007-12-22, 22:47   Link #182
CrazySunshine

7, it was average, at best, and rather entertaining. But IMO, horribly horribly overrated.
Old 2007-12-24, 03:43   Link #183
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I just recently finished watching the entire series in its broadcast order (great DVD's by Bandai btw)... I thought the entire series was very entertaining and had very likeable characters/interesting story. I also re-watched the show in its chronological order with English dubs and I found it just as good!

I took a gamble (bought the discs based solely on community opinions/reviews) and this was the first time I've watched an anime first via R1 discs instead of fansubs and I must say that I do not regret my purchases at all.
Old 2007-12-27, 13:11   Link #184
Mose

Thumbs down

Simply put I just didn't like it. It wasn't funny and most of the episodes were simply boring. There were some good parts but they were few. I had to actually force myself to watch over half of the episodes, because it was so boring I didn't want to watch it. And when I finally reached the end I was very dissapointed. It really wasn't worth it, but at least I understood why the episodes were in "random" order and it made the series a little bit more interesting.
This series definetly wasn't for me but it has good animation quality and voice acting so I rate it 5/10 otherwise it would get only 4/10.
Old 2008-01-04, 08:38   Link #185
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I'm very sure you didn't understand why the episodes are in random episode order, as well as 90% of the rest of the series.

40% goes for questions that weren't even answered in this season, only in the novels and would very likely be covered in season 2. 50% would be the questions in this season itself, that could be answered.

I would recommend you to read all of the episode discussion threads, then wait for season 2.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-01-05, 16:13   Link #186
Ishtar Dark

Send a message via MSN to Ishtar Dark
Haruhi gets an 8 from me. The art was some of the most beautiful I've seen, and that's a big plus as it gives the anime a sheer artistic value. The out-of-order episodes presentation is refreshing. But while the story was cleverly satisfying (the characters being amusing and lively, especially thanks to the art), the anime is unfortunately too short. The side-stories are entertaining, but serve no other purpose, and they also accentuate how much of the anime is actually part of the storyline (a minority of the episodes).

I hope season 2 will be as good a Haruhi experience, though - just bigger.
Old 2008-01-08, 10:31   Link #187
Mose

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A
I'm very sure you didn't understand why the episodes are in random episode order, as well as 90% of the rest of the series.
If I hadn't watched it all and understood it I would have rated it 2/10 or 3/10. Maybe I didn't understand everything but that really doesn't matter.

Reading the novels would probably make things more clear and they might be better than the anime, but it still wouldn't change my rating for the anime, because I would just rate the novels separately.
Old 2008-01-17, 12:09   Link #188
Dxon
Inactive Member

8 out of 10.

The serie is very confusing and I would've liked a actual line. Not Kyon and chronologic. Just 1 or the other. Confuses me. They should take example from other anime's on that..
Old 2008-01-19, 21:02   Link #189
Hypertaost
I misspelled, it's toast

10 Because Yuki's awesome. Can't wait for the 2nd season since half of it is going to feature Yuki (I hope they make it a bit more romantic than the novel)
Old 2008-01-20, 03:07   Link #190
renegade_officer89
Nobody's Fool....

Send a message via Yahoo to renegade_officer89
being an anime noob that i am, i rated this series a 10.perfect 10.damn it is good. in fact, the best i've ever saw.I watched the whole series +10 times over and over again until i memorized the scenes almost completely,especially ep10.the animation pics are the best,with mikuru looking super cute and all the characters do as well.the songs are great.I especially love God Knows...(you know...the one at the concert...1st song).Storyline?Confusing,but due to the number of times i've watched the whole damn thing, i have absolutely no problem to rearrange the episodes in my head.The 1st ep rocks!at first, i cursed my friend after the 1st ep,saying that this anime is stupid and all,but the 2nd episode and after just makes me stuck to my pc for the whole day.but after +5 times watching, i started to say that the 1st ep has it's own quality behind that stupidity.Hm...seiyus?Hirano Aya is top notch!! she just kinda absorbed haruhi into her own self and threw it out loud and clear.i didn"t understand why some people says that it is overrated.it is just good.full stop.
Old 2008-01-23, 16:48   Link #191
Takuto19
Yarrrr

10/10 for me.

It just everything i like in a anime, great comedy, great characters and great story, hard to describe why it's one of my favoruits with the way it's done but it's just brilliant to me. Also good to rewatch them from time to time.
Old 2008-01-24, 12:50   Link #192
hiroto
every schoolday from 8!

9 (excellent)

I gave it a 9. I'm a great fan of this series, for me it has everything: weird/randomness, interesting and engaging characters, some level of identification (sometimes I really feel like something Kyon said came straight outta my dictionary) and it has those emotional/psychological moments. The moments where Yuki shows that she's not just an alien but a girl too when Haruhi shows that she's not just all-powerful but a girl with a past too. The animations are great and the story engaging. I kinda like relaxing anime, so I can sit back and relax, but this one just sucked me in. I still don't really know if I'm that happy with it's hype, but I know what I like. I recommend this to anyone.
Old 2008-01-28, 16:11   Link #193
haru52

Gave it a 10 it was an amazing series xD.
Old 2008-02-01, 12:14   Link #194
Zonak
Susu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySunshine View Post
7, it was average, at best, and rather entertaining. But IMO, horribly horribly overrated.
Agreed. I watched it in the times this show wasn't overrated. Liked it, no, LOVED it. But for some reason my love for this anime seems to be pretty decreased. Maybe because I don't like overrated stuff and all.
Old 2008-02-01, 12:21   Link #195
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I voted 10. I enjoyed it that much, among other reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonak View Post
Agreed. I watched it in the times this show wasn't overrated. Liked it, no, LOVED it. But for some reason my love for this anime seems to be pretty decreased. Maybe because I don't like overrated stuff and all.
Just ignore the buzz. >_< By letting that gets to you and lowering your own rating for the show, you're just as bad as those who rated it high just to be "in," only in an opposite way.
Old 2008-02-01, 12:34   Link #196
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think that part of the cause of conflict between the biggest fans of the show, and the critics of the show, is that there's something that perhaps both groups aren't seeing.

And that's that the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is incredibly unique in the type of story that it's presenting, and the kind of anime that it is.

It isn't easily pigeonholded into any particular anime genre, and even utilizes a story-telling approach and method that is rather novel for anime, and fairly unique in general.

Anime characters that are similiar to Haruhi power-wise/age-wise/gender-wise are Haruka (Noein), and Lain (Serial Experiment Lain), but both of those characters (and the series' that they come from) are much darker and less fun-loving than the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is.

Series that probably come the closest to The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in character design, setting, and style are Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh, but neither of those series' deal with the sort of philosophical issues or power levels that Haruhi does.

What the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya does exceptionally well is mix serious philosophy with dynamic fun, and it does this principly through the characters of Haruhi and Koizumi, and through the interactions between Kyon and Haruhi, and Kyon and Koizumi.

Hence, the anime is both intellectual and fun.

It is also a very character-driven anime, as oppossed to plot-driven.

A lot of anime fans, including myself, like dramatic plots with many twists and turns, and conflicts between cool protagonists and competent antagonists. We like shadowy villainous organizations (or large impressive empires), and strongly individualistic characters who strive to bring them down. We like explosive and well-choreographed fight/war scenes.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya doesn't really have any of that (except for the Asakura/Yuki fight, perhaps), and that, sometimes combined with Haruhi's character, is one reason why critics are wondering why this series is so well-recieved - especially since it isn't a basic comedy like Love Hina! or Azumanga Daioh, either.

What the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya does have, however, is very unique, and people who see that, and like that, will naturally love the anime. I myself love the anime.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is an exceptionally well-made show, and probably does as good a job as any other anime series at achieving what it sets out to do - and that is to explore philosophical issues, relational issues, and coming-of-age issues, within the context of a colourful cast of characters who are driven more by charisma and personality than by abilities and powers... but who have that too.

There aren't many clear-cut significant flaws in the anime, in my opinion.

My only personal gripes are that it might have been nicer if Haruhi had a touch more of a softer side, and I have to admit that Mikuru started to annoy me a bit as the series progressed. Honestly, Mikuru should know what she's stepping into when she goes to SOS Brigade meetings as per her mission from the future, and the getting massively upset every time Haruhi tries to dress her up in a new outfit started to annoy me a bit. Grin and bear it, girl - it's not that bad a mission compared to what a lot of soldiers have to go through.

Also, the anime can be very subtle, and you really have to go digging deep sometimes to fully appreciate all the elements to the characters, and story.

For example...

To truly appreciate the character of Haruhi, I think, you have to look beyond the outward eccentricity and take-charge behavior. The outward eccentricity and take-charge behavior is to draw your attention, and amuse you, but it's what lies behind that which is key, I think.

Haruhi's reaction to how well her ENOZ performance was recieved, how she came across on the two-part island vacation (such as how she showed sincere caring for Kyon in at least one instance), and some of the inner-most thoughts that she confided to Kyon... these are key elements of her character, and when you pick up on them, Haruhi seems a bit more... human, and multi-faceted.

All in all, the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a very fun, amusing (I found the humour in it unique and cheerful too - it got more than a few hearty chuckles from me), thought-provoking, and well done anime. But because it's so unique, it's a bit of an acquired taste, I think. You really can't measure Haruhi against any other anime out there, because it's so very different from all of them.

The animation quality is top-notch, as is the voice-acting (in both English, and Japanese).

For technical merits, it may even deserve a 10/10.

For overall impact - for how appealing it is through out the anime fan community as a whole - it's probably a 8/10.

Speaking personally, there are a few animes I liked more than the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and none of them I'd give a 10/10 to, so I can only give Haruhi a 9/10. Still, it's one of my top 10 animes, no question.
Old 2008-02-01, 13:52   Link #197
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I liked your points except:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
My only personal gripes are that it might have been nicer if Haruhi had a touch more of a softer side, and I have to admit that Mikuru started to annoy me a bit as the series progressed. Honestly, Mikuru should know what she's stepping into when she goes to SOS Brigade meetings as per her mission from the future, and the getting massively upset every time Haruhi tries to dress her up in a new outfit started to annoy me a bit. Grin and bear it, girl - it's not that bad a mission compared to what a lot of soldiers have to go through.
The reason why Mikuru doesn't know what she's going into is very simple.

May be spoilerish:
Spoiler:
Look forward to season 2 to find out the true role and purpose of Mikuru.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-02-01, 14:14   Link #198
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I liked your points except:The reason why Mikuru doesn't know what she's going into is very simple.

May be spoilerish:
Spoiler:

Look forward to season 2 to find out the true role and purpose of Mikuru.
That's interesting. It may have been hinted at in a Season 1 episode, but if so, I must have missed it. It does make Mikuru's reactions to Haruhi seem a lot more understandable to me.

I was originally under the impression that an organization like TSAB from the Nanoha animes had specially selected and trained Mikuru for the Haruhi mission, and... well, she wasn't handling it well.

From what you've revealed here, though, that's not really the case with Mikuru. Thanks for the info!

I'm really looking forward to Season 2.
Old 2008-02-05, 20:44   Link #199
Un1234l

9.4/10

It's really, really, really overrated though. Sure... I loved it. Hell, I even know all the songs and the Hare Hare Yukai dance... But I must admit that it's overrated. It's not bad though, just overrated. For some reason.

What I liked was the plot, characters, comedy, acting, music and visuals. Everything flowed together nicely (even though it's in anachronological order).

The only 2 things I warranted a 10/10 to are Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (sequal of first) and The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya [light novel]
Old 2008-02-06, 00:00   Link #200
Jintor

I'm not exposed to much internet fanboy/fangirl, but when I hear SuzumiyaHaruhi is overrated, I can quite confidently say: lies. Total friggin' lies.

Suzumiya Haruhi is to me, in many ways, the perfect anime.
Closed Thread