AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-29, 05:14   Link #341
virox

Hey your discussion is rather heated up, but please let me ask something, I am not sure if this was explained in the latest novel, but I hope it was:

In volume 4, Yuki took Haruhi's power and changed the world completely.
But now in volume 10/11, they have to come up with a ridiculous plan to ki-- Har--- in order to get her power, why couldn't Suoh Kuyoh just do what Yuki did?

Also, was the Sky Canopy Dominion really unaffected by the changes Yuki made? Because Taniguchi was dating Suoh, but after the change happened, he wasn't dating her anymore.

Sorry if this was already answered in chapter 5, haven't read it yet.
Old 2011-06-29, 06:58   Link #342
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That is a rather interesting question. (the part about it affectiong Suoh or not)

I would assume Yuki could use Haruhi's powers due to several hundred years of observaton and the onset of real emotions.
Old 2011-06-29, 07:07   Link #343
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by virox View Post
Because Taniguchi was dating Suoh, but after the change happened, he wasn't dating her anymore.
wait. what? Taniguchi was dating the homicidal alien robot girl?

...no. Wait. This makes PERFECT sense.
Old 2011-06-29, 07:32   Link #344
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Only an alien would date him.
(He gave Ryoko an A++ so he has good taste in aliens)
Old 2011-06-29, 07:37   Link #345
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
wait. what? Taniguchi was dating the homicidal alien robot girl?

...no. Wait. This makes PERFECT sense.
She probably doesn't understand what dating meant, or just don't care enough to say no. It's good to have friendly contacts with locals after all.
Old 2011-06-29, 10:19   Link #346
narukamikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
She probably doesn't understand what dating meant, or just don't care enough to say no. It's good to have friendly contacts with locals after all.
She asked him, actually.
Old 2011-06-29, 10:52   Link #347
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
From what I've read, all they did was eat out at some fast food places over and over again. Man, Taniguchi is lame as hell. Couldn't he at least TRIED something other than just eating out? I've lost all respect for him (what little I still had ).
Old 2011-06-29, 11:50   Link #348
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by narukamikun View Post
She asked him, actually.
In that case, it was probably in her mission parameters to locate a spineless male to date in order to blend in.
Old 2011-06-29, 11:54   Link #349
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or she though he was Kyon.
Old 2011-06-29, 13:27   Link #350
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Not to mention that he gave Yuki an A- while she was still wearing those glasses.
(I disagree with Kyon regarding Yuki's cuteness with glasses. Her human self's moe factor was over 9000.)
Old 2011-06-29, 13:47   Link #351
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Didn't Yuki only get an A-? Or a B+? His tastes seem to be particularly oriented towards Yandere's.

X-com will find use for him. At ferrying out alien infiltrators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
From what I've read, all they did was eat out at some fast food places over and over again. Man, Taniguchi is lame as hell. Couldn't he at least TRIED something other than just eating out? I've lost all respect for him (what little I still had ).
...did he at least ASK HER to come with him to this fast food place over and over again? Or did he just happen to sit next to her time and time again without her complaining and assume that they were dating?

Man Taniguchi. You really ARE lame.
Old 2011-06-29, 14:12   Link #352
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
(I disagree with Kyon regarding Yuki's cuteness with glasses. Her human self's moe factor was over 9000.)
Well, to be fair, that "I'd say you look cuter without them" happened about the time that Yuki stopped looking super angry all the time. In other words, maybe Kyon unconsciously associated that look with the glasses (I know I did), not having a counter-example until Disappearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
...did he at least ASK HER to come with him to this fast food place over and over again? Or did he just happen to sit next to her time and time again without her complaining and assume that they were dating?

Man Taniguchi. You really ARE lame.
Yeah. At least when Kyon does that, he doesn't openly call it a date.
Old 2011-06-29, 14:32   Link #353
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Hmm unless if you mean Dissappearance-era Yuki, I have to disagree. I found her not to be much of a meganekko at all since she really had no personality whatsoever before she lost her glasses, after she lost them she began to develop a personality and thus, moe by actually being more involved in the series. I think Kyon mentions at one point early on that Yuki "was like a decoration" for the room, and this is really true for the old Yuki.
Old 2011-06-29, 14:38   Link #354
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
Hmm unless if you mean Dissappearance-era Yuki, I have to disagree. I found her not to be much of a meganekko at all since she really had no personality whatsoever before she lost her glasses. After that she began to develop a personality and thus, moe. As Gamer2x4 said the glasses carried the negative connections with her blandness.
Yes, I was referring to Yuki in Disappearance who manages IMO to be even more moe than Mikuru has ever been. But of coure Yuki is also moe without them. This is one reason why I want to see Charmed At First Sight LOVER animated really soon.
Old 2011-06-29, 14:58   Link #355
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Yes, I was referring to Yuki in Disappearance who manages IMO to be even more moe than Mikuru has ever been. But of coure Yuki is also moe without them. This is one reason why I want to see Charmed At First Sight LOVER animated really soon.
I'm no expert on moe, but I imagine the thing that puts alt!Yuki above Mikuru (in my mind, anyway) is that Mikuru is so darn INCOMPETENT. You can be the cutest person in the world, but if you're hopelessly useless, that appeal goes right out the window.
Old 2011-06-29, 15:52   Link #356
DurararaFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
I'm no expert on moe, but I imagine the thing that puts alt!Yuki above Mikuru (in my mind, anyway) is that Mikuru is so darn INCOMPETENT. You can be the cutest person in the world, but if you're hopelessly useless, that appeal goes right out the window.
alt!Yuki wasn't hopelessly useless? She could barely pass on a piece of paper to the person next to her. She couldn't recruit members for her club, she could barely get through the day without Asakura coming to over to cook. Mikuru was at least self-sufficient.
Old 2011-06-29, 16:17   Link #357
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

That's...actually a good point. Huh.
Old 2011-06-29, 16:33   Link #358
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Or she though he was Kyon.
That was basically what Kuyoh said.

I'll post the excerpt of that for those who haven't read Chapter 5 yet.

Quote:
“Did you take a fancy to Taniguchi in order to come in contact with Haruhi or me?”
“It was a misunderstanding——”
She replied with a voice like a talking deck brush.
“What did you misunderstand?”
“——mistook him for you.”

Last edited by AbZeroNow; 2011-06-29 at 17:12. Reason: Replaced second sentence
Old 2011-06-29, 20:07   Link #359
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Wow. Kuyoh kinda fails as much as Taniguchi.

I guess it's pretty clear that the domain has ALLOT more problems understanding/identifying people than the IDE. Though it shouldn't be to surprising, considering how out of context human existence is to beings like Data entities. Humans are specifically designed in our thought process to identify others. Aliens completely lack those kind of tools to make that kind of identification.
Old 2011-06-29, 22:50   Link #360
ijuinkun

Probably to the Sky Canopy Domain (which after all has spent a lot less time and resources so far in studying humans), "all you humans look the same to us". It's kind of like how most people can't easily distinguish individuals of an unfamiliar animal species, even if they could tell their own dog/cat/whatever from others. Probably she wasn't paying attention to his face and actions so much as his easiest-to-read data--"Male, same age and classroom as Haruhi, no special powers, has/has had a romantic connection to Haruhi". Remembering that the Sky Canopy Domain is even less familiar with linear time than the IDSE, Kuyoh might have confused Taniguchi's previous attraction for Haruhi with Kyon's present attraction.
Closed Thread

Tags
haruhi suzumiya, light novel, spoilers