AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-18, 09:09   Link #161
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Hmm, well the anime still left out so much things about Yurippe we could learn about. Especially the way she din't commit suicide after her sisters got killed.. I know she got stuck there because of that incident possibly, but what eventually got her killed?
Yurippe doesn't strike me as suicidal since she is older now. After reading the manga it seemed like she was angry at the world. She might have died accidently like Hinata and Yuzuru.

I'm hoping somebody would do a character analysis of her since we get a sense of her ideology.
Old 2010-11-19, 20:37   Link #162
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

From what I know.

Yuri: Lost her little sisters long ago, and regrets that day since she could not save them. Is a very leader-like person that is very good at it, loves guns very friendly, had a spark for a guy while she was still alive, and it somehow continued on to the Afterlife, where she had to stop him from creating these creatures that make you into an NPC. Has a thing for either Otanashi/Hinata (Hinata mostly) lived a very boring school-life (hence her expression in the flashback)

Judging from that alone, she might have just got into an accident like you said, and the regretting thoughts about losing her little sisters brought her to the Afterlife.
Old 2010-11-19, 20:58   Link #163
GDB

Quote:
Yuri: Lost her little sisters long ago
Siblings, actually. There was a little brother in the mix too.

Quote:
loves guns
From what I recall in the manga, she actually hates guns, or at least hated them. Since then, she's probably realized they're necessary in her battle against God/Angel.

Quote:
had a spark for a guy while she was still alive, and it somehow continued on to the Afterlife, where she had to stop him from creating these creatures that make you into an NPC.
Wait, what? That's completely unrelated to any known existing character in Angel Beats from what I'm aware of.

Quote:
Has a thing for either Otanashi/Hinata (Hinata mostly)
I think it was rather well established that she didn't have any particular feelings of love, be they romantic or otherwise, until that final encounter in episode 12. It was only then when she realized how much she had come to care for anyone else, and it wasn't really special.
Old 2010-11-20, 01:17   Link #164
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Hmm, well those were just my opinion, thanks for clearing them up GDB. I do remember in the Manga she had a hate for guns while I was reading a chapter. But never knew they were siblings, just thought they were part of the family.
Old 2010-11-21, 00:41   Link #165
Knightrunner

Quote:
Hmm, well those were just my opinion, thanks for clearing them up GDB. I do remember in the Manga she had a hate for guns while I was reading a chapter. But never knew they were siblings, just thought they were part of the family.
Seems like everything is cleared up. Plus, she only learned how to use guns in the After Life. In heart, she was still a kid because
Spoiler for novel:
Plus, Yurripe is the type to try anything she puts her mind too for example archery. I'm guessing in the living world she tries to preoccupy herself with many activities since she seems to have a knack to try things out.
Old 2011-05-07, 17:07   Link #166
Kyuu
=^^=

Hang on to Yurripe. XD

Spoiler:
Old 2011-05-08, 08:48   Link #167
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

haha Episode 2 has got to be my favourite episode...
Old 2011-06-26, 01:29   Link #168
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Hang on to Yurripe. XD

Spoiler:
So thats why she kicked Hinata down into the abyss in episode 2. xD

Old 2011-07-07, 08:29   Link #169
Obito, Tobi
Maker Of Crap AMVs

idk what my favourite character is... But i will go back through soon, and tally up reasons :P
Old 2011-08-03, 13:06   Link #170
Dominic Night
Its time to Exist

Taking a poke into the lion's den.
---

I honestly don't know what people actually like Yuri. There was only ONE good thing and that was when she was alive and trying to be a good older sister. BUT THAT's IT.

After losing them she said she hated God, for what? Granted life is unfair, but putting the blame on someone else is that of a spoil brat, even in that type of situation.

Going to the afterlife, than selfessly hating on someone who's simply trying to keep order in the world, (Kanade). Wow, such justice. She willing go out and single out Kanade as a villain just because she's there trying to keep the world from going into chaos. Next thing she does is pretty much indocinrate the other people (SSS) In believing that Kanade is the badguy and should be treated like trash, as well as forcing them to live with the guilt of what they had when they are alive. Pretty much Yuri doesn't want people to find peace and want hem to suffer for their past mistakes.

They say that she is a kind leader. That's a lie. A kind leader would not for their own comrade not to eat for a week just because they don't get their way in a mission, killing them. Nor would they sacrifice their own comrade to set off traps, or to fight against a dangerous oppnent (Kanade using self-defense while pretty much SSS is attack) while the so called 'kind leader' remains at headquarters safe and sound. Just because people seemingly have unlimited lifes doesn't mean you can force others to do things which would continously getting them killed while you remain safe unharmed.

Once again, why do people even like her?
Old 2011-08-03, 13:36   Link #171
amasposu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Night View Post
People probably like her because she "cute."

Yurippe was my least favorite character until episode 10 or something. All of her operations are absolutely pointless. Because of her unfortunate past, she becomes prejudice toward "god." She mislabels Kanade as "Tenshi," or a follower of god. She causes nothing but trouble for Kanade, who, in reality, only wants to help everyone. She led an army to rebel against something that doesn't exist. In a sense, she led everyone who sided with her astray.

I liked her in the end but that is it. >:
Old 2011-08-05, 19:48   Link #172
Kudryavka

Quote:
---

I honestly don't know what people actually like Yuri. There was only ONE good thing and that was when she was alive and trying to be a good older sister. BUT THAT's IT.

After losing them she said she hated God, for what? Granted life is unfair, but putting the blame on someone else is that of a spoil brat, even in that type of situation.

Going to the afterlife, than selfessly hating on someone who's simply trying to keep order in the world, (Kanade). Wow, such justice. She willing go out and single out Kanade as a villain just because she's there trying to keep the world from going into chaos. Next thing she does is pretty much indocinrate the other people (SSS) In believing that Kanade is the badguy and should be treated like trash, as well as forcing them to live with the guilt of what they had when they are alive. Pretty much Yuri doesn't want people to find peace and want hem to suffer for their past mistakes.

They say that she is a kind leader. That's a lie. A kind leader would not for their own comrade not to eat for a week just because they don't get their way in a mission, killing them. Nor would they sacrifice their own comrade to set off traps, or to fight against a dangerous oppnent (Kanade using self-defense while pretty much SSS is attack) while the so called 'kind leader' remains at headquarters safe and sound. Just because people seemingly have unlimited lifes doesn't mean you can force others to do things which would continously getting them killed while you remain safe unharmed.

I like her because she's a strong leader and a strong-willed person. Also, she's very willing to help out her comrades; sometimes she's unfair, but she's stuck her head in the lion's mouth, along with the rest of the SSS field team, almost every time.

About the traps, she didn't force anyone to sacrifice themselves, they did that on their own for the team. Except Hinata the first time, but hey, shock from being grabbed in the wrong place methinks.

btw I think what happened in the OVA was stupid, too. -_-

An idea I had:
Spoiler for this may be an ancient theory, but hey:

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2011-08-05 at 20:00.
Old 2012-01-19, 04:45   Link #173
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Quote:
---

I'm going to make my first post, and although I don't like necro-ing... I feel it essential that I answer this question in full honesty.

What I like about Yuri, is that she's a flawed character. Jun Maeda has this ability to create characters which are not "Mary Sues" so to say. Yuri in my books is a totally believable character born out of completely unfair situations thrown at her time and time again.

Of course, until (and if) the visual novel comes out, I'll be able to speculate more on this theory, but Yurippe shows clear signs of having had a tough life. Not only evident in the murder of her three siblings, mind you.

Imagine, a person losing her three younger siblings at age roughly 8 because of her "fault" at not being able to find the money in the house. Just imagine it. An 8 year old witnessing some crooks blowing her sister's brain's out, and then her other, and then her little brother, those she had spent so much time caring and
looking out for. Of course, Yuri at the time is (I think) too young to think about suicide, and of course would have been put in a LOT of therapy after that, almost immediately.

If I recall correctly, Yurippe became the only daughter to an apparently wealthy family, so she would be under extremely heavy pressure to succeed in life. Not to mention that her pairs at school would have doubtlessly treated her as a mentally troubled kid for a while (and in all fairness, they were allowed to believe that). Naoi had a similar experience in being the son of a potter, and failing at that. Just for that he killed the entire brigade and carried a huge grudge over people before opening up to Otonashi.

The details behind her death are not revealed, but one could entertain the idea of Yurippe's life finally coming to terms, imagine her finishing school with high grades, and then being involved in a field trip accident or somesuch.

What I, personally, admire Yurippe for is her will to do something about it. The only times we see Yurippe's weakness is in Episode 2 when partially opening up to Otonashi, her being almost eaten by a shadow (and still fighting it, with the help of Otonashi) and I think thats it if I recall correctly. (I lost my AB stash with my portable HDD so I can't really look for it now)

Yurippe is a flawed character, which makes her all the more beautiful and brilliant. I'm tired of having perfect Mary Sues with only a tiny flaw and then people praising that character for having a flaw. Yuri, has a terrible past, and instead of crying about it, she fights with what she has at hand, trying to change it, or at least seek revenge. Of course, she is based on erroneous ideas and theories, but she isn't stupid. She did figure out that Tenshi wasn't an Angel herself, she DID find the NPC responsible for the shadow outbreak, and last but not elast, she raised a hawking brigade against an enemy in the afterlife.

She was never allowed to weaken up, she always has to keep a strong face, despite having absolutely no clue as to what is going on. She has to think fast, work with a bunch of morons at times, and never open up or show the slightest hesitation.

If you look at her character appearances in "public" she is always strong. Episode 1 has her first showing with the whole "operation tornado" which showed her as a mastermind behind an operation. Episode 2 had her lead an operation into death traps over and over again, and only partially opening up to Otonashi once they are alone, and immediately getting all "boss-like" when she gets to Guild, and proceeds to fight with a dual blade wielding, game breaking, tenshi. Episode 3 had her once again leading a mission into Tenshi's home. Episode 4 slanted a bit on the hilarious side... you get the idea.

She led a battle that was going to be lost against Naoi, but thought far ahead to know that Tenshi wasn't an enemy, and gave Otonashi a walkie-talkie to keep in contact with her if she needed her. When the shadows appeared, she was quick to take meassures against them by going in pairs, and when the time came, she called a meeting and without flinching once, basically told everyone what Otonashi's plan was (who he had thought was completely secret, think again) and that it was an option against fighting. In hindsight its a strong scene when you realize that she's telling everyone goodbye, the same brigade that she loves and has brought forth the creation of the shadows, as the NPC told us.

Sure, she may be a bit on the crazy side, but then again, the whole deal with the afterlife is a bit insane. Being able to die probably means that its just as much as a friendly punch in real life.

Anywho, sorry for the wall of text, but I thought it to be important that I at least voice my opinion on why I like Yuri.

Cheers;
Niker
Old 2012-03-23, 00:50   Link #174
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Yuri's first impression on me was overall positive. She was cool, had a lot of spunk, and her English voice actor was fantastic. She was always tough, showed no weaknesses, and to round it out, she had a few comedic moments in the first few episodes, balancing out her normally tough and serious personality.

As the episodes went on, her comedic moments disappeared. I suppose that falls in line with the plot taking a turn for the more serious, but even when everyone else was having fun and doing good deeds, she was nowhere to be found. "Yuri isn't the type of person to do charity work." Um, ok? She reacted to some of the most important realizations in the storyline with the same cool indifference she had when we first met her, making her seem unempathetic.

It got old.

After hearing about her backstory, my pity for her quickly disappeared when her overcompensation became more and more obvious. Yuri tries her hardest to be strong for everyone because she couldn't do it in her normal life. I get it. But her human aspects all took a hit to showcase her GI Jane persona, which is rubbed in our face over and over again as she sits behind the scenes planning and scheming while Yuzuru and friends make the real change happen.

What bothered me in particular was her response to Yuzuru's change in plans during Episode 11, where she abruptly reveals in the middle of a tactical discussion that she understood what she was planning all along, and get this, 'permits' everyone to choose whether or not they want to carry themselves on to the next plane of existence. Then she egotistically states that she'll 'do what she wants as she always does', which made no fucking sense in the context of the current discussion and didn't reveal anything about how she planned to react to the all-important gamechanger. "I don't know" would have been a lot more realistic, as it signifies her reluctancy to change what she so strongly believed was true from the beginning, and it would open a little more room for some time to think and resolve her own situation. But that entire scene lowered my opinion of her by several notches, to where I found myself thinking she couldn't disappear any sooner.

Yuri's gimmick is fine for a few episodes where they're just chopping away in the routine, but too much happened in the series for her character to develop so little. Way too late does she reveal her human side at the end of the series during graduation, where I honestly no longer gave a shit about her.

EDIT: Ah, Mary Sue. That's the term. Yuri was supposed to be the 'perfect' female lead, but it made her really hard to empathize with and left her a mostly static personality.

Last edited by SJCrew; 2012-12-27 at 05:50.
Old 2012-04-11, 22:55   Link #175
Yachiyo
~`Seito Kaichō`~

Yuri's first impression to me that she's a great leader, role model and very wise in making strategies and commanding. Although she got a resemblance of Haruhi Suzumiya

And so I've thought, after learning about her past, I pity her very much. Who would like to live a life like that? Her past became her strength to carry on the fight of SSS, and that's the trait of her that I really like the most. She's very strong, courageous and independent.

That's all I can say, if there are more, I still won't post it, since I'm lazy typing.

Cheers~!

--Yachiyo

#Shine Days