AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Sakurasou

Notices

View Poll Results: Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 11 22.92%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 29.17%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 14.58%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-11, 00:32   Link #21
HandofFate

Ryunnosuke's turn to contribute to the group dynamic.

Its kind of amusing comparing his IRL blunt attitude, and his "Maid Online Persona" they're both actually pretty blunt, but maid-chan's tone is cheerier. I thought it was funny that he seems to have girlphobia as well, when he turn and saw himself face to face with Aoyama and had to run off to his room.
Old 2012-12-11, 01:02   Link #22
Eater of All
NOM

All of this especially hits home with me since there are some ridiculously competent people at my university (just like every other university). What about the rest of us? The majority probably doesn't care, since they have other priorities in life. For those who do though, it's easy to be demoralized when your super awesome work turns out to be a piece of crap compared to something someone else did 2 years ago. It really takes a certain character or experience to see it in a positive light instead.

Great episode.
Old 2012-12-11, 02:03   Link #23
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
I disagree with this statement. Ryuunosuke did more than speak the truth. While the truth can hurt, you can be tactful with how you say things. Ryuunosuke could care less about such things though. The guy doesn't mince words and said it in a disdainful manner. Now if you were totally fed up with Rita's attitude, then yes, you probably think Ryuunosuke was awesome and it was satisfying watching him tear Rita a new one. But like I said, sometimes you need people like that when no one else is willing or able to talk about the elephant in the room. But the root of what he was saying was correct, the rest was him being his disdainful self.

So it's not a question of honesty or dishonesty. It's how you say things.
Persoanlly as someone who'd been fed up since last episode can't say I wasn't happy to see Ryuunosuke go to town on Rita there. Plus I figure if someone is acting like Rita was there you don't need to bother saying things in a nicer way. Although I'm not sure how much that mattered to him since it seemed purely in character to just say things bluntly. In this case it was probably better to say things like that.

Feels like if he did it any other way it woudln't have been as effective. Might have become too soft and let her hide behind another fake smile. Or would have weakend the truth which was the whole point that needed to get across.
Old 2012-12-11, 02:03   Link #24
Humble Loser
Spineless Main Character

I am glad Rita got called out and exposed. When people are that defensively entrenched, being stylish goes out the window. It has to be hard, very direct and no holding back whatsoever.

Good episode.
Old 2012-12-11, 02:08   Link #25
sikvod00

^ Well, that's what I meant about Ryuunosuke being necessary in that situation. No one else was going to touch the issue at hand, and sometimes it's necessary to be that harsh. Like GDB said, this approach is preferred in small numbers. My issue was conflating the truth with being totally insensitive.
Old 2012-12-11, 02:15   Link #26
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

So we learn is that all Rita wanted was to be acknowledged as part of Mashiro's life, but apparently didn't feel that way because of a misunderstanding stemming from Mashiro's stoic attitude? Rita no BAKA! Out of all people, I thought she would know better, especially since Mashiro doesn't remember any of the other students who left aside from her.

I also love how she got back at Ryuunosuke. Perfect foil to him, in that while he's blunt and to the chase, Rita is more subtle and discreet about things. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2012-12-11, 02:19   Link #27
sikvod00

No way Rita and Ryuunosuke get together. That maid-chan would flip out and go on a massacre. This arc also brings an end to that incredibly long debate from the previous episode. Which side "won"? j/k
Old 2012-12-11, 02:22   Link #28
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Rita no BAKA! Out of all people, I thought she would know better, especially since Mashiro doesn't remember any of the other students who left aside from her.
Probably because none of the students spoke to Mashiro at all.

And lets face it, Mashiro is not an easy person to be friends with; her classmates hate her and by association they probably hate Rita too (you know how kids are)... All the adults think she's better that her... She needs to help Mashiro do everything everyday and on top of that have Mashiro's stoic attitude and seemingly uncaring personality... Multiply that with ten years...
Old 2012-12-11, 02:33   Link #29
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You have no idea how difficult it was for me to not say a single word/hint about this episode last week; that the subject matter wouldn't be about Mashiro but rather the focus would switch to Rita instead
I thought that was pretty obvious actually, and the discussions were simply us butting heads over philosophical differences that the show offered an opportunity to discuss, but seemed like a peripheral question in the story itself. I never got the feeling that the question presented by the first episode was "Should Mashiro paint or not", but "Why is Rita so adamant about getting her to do so". It was never really about Mashiro (she isn't the one with real issues to work out here), but rather about Rita and the issues she was hinted (if not outright stated) to have the last episode. And, by proxy, how it's going to influence and develop Sorata by further confronting him with great talent that he doesn't have himself.

It was always going to ultimately be about Sorata, his view on Mashiro's art/talent, how it's going to develop their relationship and what he is going to take away from all the mess once the dust settles, using Rita as a catalyst to bring the new batch of issues to the forefront. It was never about Mashiro, but about the others - Mashiro just happens to be the focal point of interest here.

Our conversation last week simply had sort of moved beyond Mashiro/Rita and was focusing on the morality and ideology of the context as a whole, because that's what we wanted to argue. But no, I don't think the impression delivered by the previous episode was this being primarily about Mashiro, but about others surrounding her. We just sort of garbled it up while discussing what we wanted to discuss, not necessarily what was likely to be the main focus of the arc.
Old 2012-12-11, 02:40   Link #30
Uberchu

Was anyone else reminded of the film Amadeus by this episode?
Old 2012-12-11, 03:11   Link #31
DorkingtonPugsly

This episode was alright I guess. I hope Rita remains a prominent character. Also enjoyed ryūnosuke's appearances and what not, but I'm more interested in next week, a certain something I've been waiting for is coming, quite excited.
Old 2012-12-11, 03:18   Link #32
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberchu View Post
Was anyone else reminded of the film Amadeus by this episode?
The film that totally misrepresented the teacher who wrote great music, taught Beethoven and Liszt, and sponsored the poor Schubert so he could become a composer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Salieri

If Mashiro is Wolfgang Mozart, closer parallel, up to this point of episode, would be Rita being Maria Anna Mozart. It remains to be seen if Rita can become someone on par with Muzio Clementi.
Old 2012-12-11, 06:47   Link #33
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
I don't really like Ryunosuke (Yui Horie as a boy is "meh") but it's hard to argue with his reasoning. He exposed Rita's real problems and motivations with pinpoint accuracy. I know a few people like him IRL: unnecessarily blunt, callous, and insensitive, but very smart/talented and good at cutting through the baloney. Sometimes you need people who don't mince words AT ALL, although sparingly since that disdainful, i-don't-give-a-fuck-you're-all-idiots attitude just rubs me the wrong way. He's definitely not someone I'd hang out with if necessary, so good on Sorata for having the thick-skin to tolerate him. After all, he actually needs the guy to help him attain his goals.
I largely agree, although I don't think he's entirely insensitive. When he brought up the issues with completing the anime on-time, and some other people talked about working harder to get it done, he was pretty complimentary to some of them, making it clear that he appreciated their work and didn't want or expect them to do more.

Plus, when Rita tried to make up with him at the end of the episode, his response was similarly conciliatory (albeit drenched in nervousness since he doesn't like women).

But yes, I think Ryuno nails that real world high-level "computer nerd" personality as well as any character I've seen in anime. I know a couple guys in real life that are fairly similar to him. You have the same bluntness, the same annoyance at fakery, the same practicality, the same economy of speaking (they don't talk much, and tend to say only what they feel is necessary to say in the moment).

On the whole, this was a pretty good episode. It was maybe a little bit melodramatic for my tastes, but at least all the drama mostly made sense. And Shiina showed me a glimpse of something in this episode that I had been looking for from her. I get the impression that she truly understood what Rita was saying to her, which is good to see.
Old 2012-12-11, 07:47   Link #34
Bombo
TSF Fans

S: Why are you giving me this mushroom?
M: It's a present.
S: You just don't want to eat it .

#LOL !!!
Old 2012-12-11, 07:57   Link #35
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombo View Post

#LOL !!!
Heh, I forgot about that
Old 2012-12-11, 09:12   Link #36
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The final line from last week's episode didn't lead to anything. Sorata decided to sit that one out, which was a very wise choice. Frankly, he has no business telling Mashiro what she should do with her life. He can give her friendly advices, but that's it.

I loved the way Ryunosuke exposed Rita. He was harsh and perhaps a bit insensitive, but somebody needed to call Rito out on her bullshit or she would have continued to wallow in self pity. He's definitely not as insensitive as he seems to be, or else he wouldn't have been able to pinpoint Rita's real issues.

Rita's issues were already hinted last week, so no surprises there. It was exactly what I expected. I didn't think she resented Mashiro to such an extent, however. It was pretty horrible of her to introduce Mashiro to manga solely so that she would be crushed. I would have liked to see her reaction when she found out Mashiro actually managed to make a hit. She must have been so frustrated
Old 2012-12-11, 09:13   Link #37
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombo View Post

#LOL !!!
Woah, didn't see that coming! Oh wait, it did come!

Still, even though Ryuunosuke is right about Rita being a sore loser to Mashiro, I think he needs to soften up a bit to women. (and cut down his addiction to tomatoes)
Old 2012-12-11, 09:17   Link #38
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Still, even though Ryuunosuke is right about Rita being a sore loser to Mashiro, I think he needs to soften up a bit to women. (and cut down his addiction to tomatoes)
It's not so much about being a sore loser, as it is that she is so caught up with all those emotions that has been building up over ten years that she lost sight of the important thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I would have liked to see her reaction when she found out Mashiro actually managed to make a hit. She must have been so frustrated
You've seen it last week, she just looked at it quietly.

And technically it wasn't a hit, she just debuted.
Old 2012-12-11, 09:51   Link #39
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

I applauded the moment Ryunosuke called Rita out on her bullshit. It must have hurt her but she deserved it.

And about Ryunosukes bluntness. There are times when you need to say things how they are without hiding behind nice words, no sugarcoating just the plain truth.
Old 2012-12-11, 10:37   Link #40
sikvod00

It's funny that Rita indirectly insulted Sorata and the millions of other people like him. She gave up on painting because she thought there was no point in doing it if someone like Mashiro was a million times better than her, no matter how hard she tried. Well in spite of that difference, Rita is still a professional painter at such a young age and has her wok displayed in art galleries. So what does that say about "normal" people like Sorata who has done nothing that impressive? They're like ants compared to Rita and like protozoans compared to Mashiro. The only difference is that Sorata hasn't decided to give up--largely thanks to the people around him. Self-esteem is all really all about perspective.

So what do you guys think the moral of the story is when it comes to talent vs passion/hard work? Can Rita become at least as good as Mashiro if she buckled down and tried her absolute hardest? Or is it more about accepting your limitations compared to a genius-level person and continue doing what you love to do at your highest capacity, regardless of the inevitable talent gap?
Closed Thread