AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-05-11, 23:33   Link #1001
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinsoo
Either it's a gene, or some kind of deadly virus that can take time to sink into some people(OH MY! SPYBLOCKER!), no? And it's spreading quickly! Is it good or bad? I'm not sure, you tell me ;p
This -> says its a virus

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 23:39   Link #1002
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
This -> says its a virus
Aw crap! Haruhi's comin' to get me Just like Sadako has ;o

SADAKO'S LIKE COMING OUT OF MY TV YO!
Jinsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 23:41   Link #1003
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The first episode clues were in the special effects (odd changes from cheezy to super realistic, etc) -- but I tell people to watch the first 3 eps before passing any judgement. Of course, I always try to give any anime 3 episodes before writing it off.

Be wary of anyone who insists you convert to *anything*... even Haruhiism, for they have stopped accumulating and processing new data: a mortal sin in the eyes of Yuki.
Old 2006-05-12, 00:44   Link #1004
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Maybe its in the genes. A Haruhiism gene or something.
Like albinoism, Huntington's, cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia, or muscular dystrophy?

Seriously though, I didn't find episode zero fascinating or anything, but I have to admit it hooked me in with what was obviously fantastic animation that was entirely designed to look like a bad home movie. You can tell it's well animated from the smoothness of the movement and how the characters are always proportioned the same as when they're not moving, plus the incredibly detailed backgrounds that actually have a sense of depth to them. All of that effort expended on something that looks like the Blair Witch Project means there's got to be a very specific reason it's done that way. Plus, like Vexx said, some of the special effects were dead give-aways ("MIKURU BEAM!").
Old 2006-05-12, 00:49   Link #1005
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Yes, I have to say, MoSH wins the "BEST ANIMATION FOR A TV SERIES" Award.

Its animation is like something you would see from a movie.
Old 2006-05-12, 00:57   Link #1006
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its interesting to me to review episodes just to watch non-key characters in a scene (those people not involved) .... good grief, they're doing stuff, their eyes blink at normal human rates, there's reflective stuff going on, mist over coffee cups, froth in the water --- in.. a... television.. budget... show.
Old 2006-05-12, 01:02   Link #1007
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Yes, I have to say, MoSH wins the "BEST ANIMATION FOR A TV SERIES" Award.

Its animation is like something you would see from a movie.
lololol

Old 2006-05-12, 01:02   Link #1008
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Its interesting to me to review episodes just to watch non-key characters in a scene (those people not involved) .... good grief, they're doing stuff, their eyes blink at normal human rates, there's reflective stuff going on, mist over coffee cups, froth in the water --- in.. a... television.. budget... show.
Yeah I know @_@ It makes me say that they should've wasted all that money, hard work, time, and animation for either a movie or a much better series(if there are any good ones out there these days) ;o
Old 2006-05-12, 02:06   Link #1009
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well... if you liked Kanon, the MoSH animators ( KyoAni ) are going to be redoing that series this fall, twice the series, four times the animation, ante the art (see Kanon 2006). Dunno if thats your cup of hoji-cha but its well ranked for that type of story.
(they also did AIR).
Old 2006-05-12, 17:16   Link #1010
Adigard

Vexx, I'm looking forward to the retool of Kanon... Should be fun to see what KyoAni can do with it.

Jinsoo, I'll apologize up front for the earlier troll comments... but I still think they apply , after all... for someone who doesn't like the show, you're spending a lot of time in the Haruhi forums ^^

I suppose the easiest way to start this disucssion would be to let us know what sort of anime you enjoy. It's very easy to point to elements of the Haruhi show and explain how it's all been done before. The vast majority of current anime (not counting the rather exceptional fare we're seeing this season) is pretty bad. I personally believe this season is giving us a pretty wide assortment of quality titles.

Comparing Haruhi to Genshinken and Alien Nine is fair... after all they're both alternative slice-of-life school days shows that don't have a heavy focus on romance. You could actually expand that comparision and include quite a lot of anime. But very few shows (none?) include the mixture of characters seen in this show. Of course, you could say the same for Amaenaideyo!!... but that's a pretty icky comparision (and one that includes some backhanded forms of romance). Honestly, if you don't like the show... don't watch it ^^ If you continue to watch the show and post on forums about it... you're every bit a convert, just on the other side of the fence ^_^

I'm not a die-hard Haruhi-ist... I'm finding Higurashi to be a more compelling story, but it has deeper roots than this show. That doesn't steal any of my enjoyment of this show though, they're different shows that both have different appeal.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 20:27   Link #1011
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Episode 07! Episode 07! Episode 07! Episode 07! Episode 07! Episode 07! Episode 07! Episode 07! Episode 07! Episode 07! Episode 07! Episode 07! 32hrs left to go!

Old 2006-05-12, 23:46   Link #1012
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
Vexx, I'm looking forward to the retool of Kanon... Should be fun to see what KyoAni can do with it.

Jinsoo, I'll apologize up front for the earlier troll comments... but I still think they apply , after all... for someone who doesn't like the show, you're spending a lot of time in the Haruhi forums ^^

I suppose the easiest way to start this disucssion would be to let us know what sort of anime you enjoy. It's very easy to point to elements of the Haruhi show and explain how it's all been done before. The vast majority of current anime (not counting the rather exceptional fare we're seeing this season) is pretty bad. I personally believe this season is giving us a pretty wide assortment of quality titles.

Comparing Haruhi to Genshinken and Alien Nine is fair... after all they're both alternative slice-of-life school days shows that don't have a heavy focus on romance. You could actually expand that comparision and include quite a lot of anime. But very few shows (none?) include the mixture of characters seen in this show. Of course, you could say the same for Amaenaideyo!!... but that's a pretty icky comparision (and one that includes some backhanded forms of romance). Honestly, if you don't like the show... don't watch it ^^ If you continue to watch the show and post on forums about it... you're every bit a convert, just on the other side of the fence ^_^

I'm not a die-hard Haruhi-ist... I'm finding Higurashi to be a more compelling story, but it has deeper roots than this show. That doesn't steal any of my enjoyment of this show though, they're different shows that both have different appeal.
Yes, the other anime I've stated before only remind me of a couple silly of scenes found in MoSH. There were a couple that I knew but forgot the name that also reminds me of MoSH as well. Though, there are a few that I could name that's slightly like it, De:vadasy(wow who actually watched that besides me?), FLCL, Detective Conan, and Gatekeepers. I'm hurting myself just trying to remember things I've watched a long time ago

D: I don't like how they exploit Mikuru ;o

Oh and the ending sequence, the dance moves look like something you can learn off iDance ;p Click~

Off topic- I love iDance cos it teaches you how to dance XD Yey for Koreans making nifty programs.

Last edited by Jinsoo; 2006-05-13 at 02:11.
Old 2006-05-18, 10:45   Link #1013
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Message Deleted By Original Poster

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2006-05-18 at 10:51. Reason: Belongs in Q&A thread, Sorry.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 14:01   Link #1014
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Ack. Sorry if I sound offensive, but this series...it's very unoriginal, and that's just putting it lightly >_>;

I don't get how most people say it's the best anime ever made in history. No it's not, it's totally unoriginal. And I don't get how people find it unique either. The characters are your sterotypical anime characters too >_<

I mean sure, the animation is well done. But that's all. It just wins the "BEST ANIMATION FOR A TV SERIES" Award. Not the "BEST ANIME EVER MADE" or "MOST ORIGINAL" or "TOTALLY UNIQUE" Awards. I've seen this been done a million times in anime.

In my opinion, Astro Boy's probably the best anime ever made, cos y'know, Astro Boy basically started it all.

Okay, and I bet you're thinking I've just watched only episode one, huh? No, I've watched to 6. I'm not really impressed with it so far, to be honest. I mean it's good and all, and it makes me laugh, but usually I'm always like, "AHAHAHaha...Wait...haven't I seen this before? ...Oh yeah! In [insert anime title here]!"

Yeah, this is just coming from a person who's watched a lot of anime of this particular genre. So don't hate me, hate my experience. If I were an anime n00b, I'd probably say this series was the best thing that came around. But y'know, every series has it's fans and haters. Just like with Naruto and FMA, right?

You hit the nail on the head right there my friend. Having watched a couple of episodes I can see the animation is absolutely incredible, but I don't see what else makes the show so special aside from the fact the characters all go balls to walls with wacky antics and stuff and that Haruhi has a certain charm to her character. It's just a decent show that happened to come out during a year when all the other shows are really crappy, that has become rampantly popular due to certain themes present in the show and the bandwagon effect. I have to say though that the almostly certain huge budget could be better spent somewhere else. I guarantee if this show had come out in say 1985 and even if it had the same animation, it wouldn't stand out so much because it would have a lot more competition from other quality titles.
Old 2006-05-18, 14:36   Link #1015
Adigard

You know... there are trolls who can keep their posts on topic... and there are trolls who like to wander off-topic and guarantee their posts will get deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
It's just a decent show that happened to come out during a year when all the other shows are really crappy, that has become rampantly popular due to certain themes present in the show and the bandwagon effect.
Any show that becomes popular enough will have a bandwagon effect. That's a given. But I do have to take offense to your "crappy" year comment. I fear for a troll you're really good at tracking threads off-topic... which of course led to the recent deletions in the Q&A thread. A trend I suppose we'll end up seeing in this topic before too long as well.

Before we totally dismiss your point as being invalid... Let's mention some of the *crappy* shows of the year, shall we? At least in passing. Black Lagoon, Good Witch of the West, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and Utawarerumono (Fate Stay Night and Noein also aired this year). You're highlighting a season that has over 60 shows currently airing (which is quite a record... btw) that includes a pretty powerful set of currently airing shows.... and dismissing it all as crap? But that's a little further off-topic than I want to go. If you want to bash the anime industry as a whole, please don't do it in such a specific sub-forum.

Quote:
I have to say though that the almostly certain huge budget could be better spent somewhere else. I guarantee if this show had come out in say 1985 and even if it had the same animation, it wouldn't stand out so much because it would have a lot more competition from other quality titles.
Why o' why can't trolls stay on topic? If you want to bash the show please feel free to do so. Let us know what you don't like about it. You've seen, in theory, at least one episode... so you can probably provide commentary about what's wrong with it. And by that I mean more than copying someone else's post.

Let's not get lost in wild accusations that the anime industry hasn't produced anything decent in recent history and all the modern day anime is crap. m'kay? The last time I checked all the threads in this specific subforum are directed to a very specific show. Whether you love or loathe the show, at least try to stay on topic.... thanks ^^
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 15:15   Link #1016
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Okay lets try staying on topic here. I DO NOT see what all the hoopla about the show is about. It was interesting in the first episode with the parody of magical girl anime, but the second episode didn't wow me at all. To me it seems like the show is all about how weird and incredible this Haruhi girl is and how she will go on to do more wacky stuff that will confuse people in the show. It's been done before and although the show is doing it well, it isn't that fantastic in my opinion. I don't know what else to say, I can't say I worship the show, I definetely don't hate it, that's for sure, I just think it isn't as great as its been made out to be. I'm going to watch another episode and see were it leads, but I'm still not convinced about this Haruhism stuff . Perhaps we just have an intriguing show on our hands and not a religion.

Anyway I discussed the show and nothing else except perhaps its popularity If that's not on topic than I don't no what is.
Old 2006-05-18, 15:31   Link #1017
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

okay.. wow, you are so missing the science fiction context ... ah well....
Keep Slaughterhouse Five and Hitchhiker's Guide in mind -- basically nothing is as it seems.

(the Haruhism is a running gag with the fandom --- don't get overly fixated on it .... unless of course, Suzumiya *is* a god....)
Old 2006-05-18, 15:52   Link #1018
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Well episode 3 was far more interesting than episode 2. I think I'll keep watching this show, I just hope I don't turn into a weirdo and start raving about this Haruhism, yeesh some people take there shows way too seriously.
Old 2006-05-18, 16:02   Link #1019
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Quote:
Well episode 3 was far more interesting than episode 2. I think I'll keep watching this show, I just hope I don't turn into a weirdo and start raving about this Haruhism, yeesh some people take there shows way too seriously.
I'll reitirate this for what, the fourth time? The Haruhism is mostly a running gag. While I'm sure that there might be a handful of people that are fixated enough to believe that Haruhi is actually a (or 'the') God, the large majority of those talking about it/following it are doing so purely for fun.
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 16:18   Link #1020
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
okay.. wow, you are so missing the science fiction context ... ah well....
Keep Slaughterhouse Five and Hitchhiker's Guide in mind -- basically nothing is as it seems.

(the Haruhism is a running gag with the fandom --- don't get overly fixated on it .... unless of course, Suzumiya *is* a god....)

I've never read either of those, I kind of figured that there was something going on beneath what was immediately being presented in the show as I'm usually good with symbolism and the like. I'm mostly worried that I won't be provided with enough information to understand what exactly is happening as the show is moving a bit slowly around episode 3 and as far as I know there are only 14 episodes that will be produced.

I've seen to many ambitious projects start off like Haruhi and fall flat on there face by the end, Mai Hime, Mai Otome, Evangelion (Remember the budget crisis, it very well could happen here) and FLCL come to mind.

I'm assuming a lot of people here have read the source material and know how the show will end, I however have not so please excuse the ignorance as all I am able to see at this point is the wacky antics aspect of the show and the running gag that is associated with the show as a whole.

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen