AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-06-15, 01:52   Link #1
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Thumbs up Magdala de Nemure (マグダラで眠れ ; May Your Soul Rest in Magdala)

Magdala de Nemure (マグダラで眠れ)

From the creator of Spice and Wolf comes his new work May Your Soul Rest in Magdala.

Synposis: It is a world where order is maintained by three great factions, the Church which bears the greatest authority, the Order of Clausius possessing influence on par with the Church, immense assets and military might, and lastly the Guild of Commerce, an association of merchants and artisans alike.
The alchemist Kusler who was captured and imprisoned because he committed the offense of trying to burn a saint's bones, sold his skills and talents to the Order of Clausius. Together with an old friend, Welland, they were then dispatched towards the town of Grubetti which was close to the front lines.
And then at a workshop in Grubetti which boasted advanced equipment due to being near the front lines, Kusler met the devout nun Urle Fenesis who had introduced herself as a "watchdog".

Guessing the translation was from ping since this is one out of his billion on-going projects .

Light Novels: 3 - ongoing
Manga: 1 ch - ongoing

(This is from the author from spice and wolf so expect some pretty deep stuff and alchemy!)

Translation link: here

Last edited by LKK; 2015-06-14 at 09:11. Reason: added fan translation link
Drkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 22:38   Link #2
Sumeragi
Banned

*Writes note for future viewing*
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 22:51   Link #3
blackwhite67
Banned

Now that's a real silver-haired nun, Kazuma Kamachi!
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 00:50   Link #4
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Preview mode: (And who said that this story is about economics? It's alchemy...)

Spoiler for Prologue:

I've planned updates, one chapter a month. There are 5 chapters, one prologue, epilogue and afterword in each volume. While I am also looking for translators willing to work on this series, it seems that I'll be the only one working on 4 series at a little fansub group (which Magdala will be under) and another 3 series on BT exclusively. (Certainly not a billion projects)
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 20:27   Link #5
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

The story is about alchemy(mostly mettalurgy), but there is also a little bit of economy in the story(in much lesser degree than spice and wolf though) in how an alchemist who's considered as heretic can survive in the book era. The story is very interesting, and Kusra(and Welland) are a very good protagonist(better than Lawrence IMO). Fenesis is also a good heroine, although I still like Holo more.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 15:44   Link #6
Zefyris
図書館狼

Finally read the first volume. Interesting story so far, the three main characters are promising, especially Kusra. There's a lot of description of the political situation of the city where they live, as well as their relation with the dominating faith around there, so there isn't that much thing happening in it compared to most novels. Still, this is a good start for the story. I liked the last part of it as well, and the way things were temporarily solved.
Considering the slow pace of the story, at this rate Magdala will probably be quite a long story just like S&W was; but it isn't boring so the slow pace isn't really a problem.
I guess you could say that this LN is almost the exact opposite of what is Rokka no yuusha, even though both are good read so far
Old 2013-10-22, 04:28   Link #7
Breimoon

manga showed up her beast ears finally. Wonder what is her real goal
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 14:53   Link #8
Zefyris
図書館狼

Ah finally, someone posted in the thread so I'll comment on the next two volumes that i read one month and half ago.

I have to say that I'm quite satisfied with the way the four main characters are evolving so far. The story is still really slow, however the cliffhanger at the end of the 3rd volume is promising on that point; and the surprise about what Fenesis did just before that is really promising for the development of that character for the remaining part of the show. As I thought, Fenesis is a character who started out as an almost blank sheet of paper, with nothing written on it. But that's precisely because of this that you can expect Fenesis to evolve a lot more than anyone else in the story. It's still too soon to say anything, but with the 4th volume Magdala de Nemure has the potential to really become one of my favorite LN, and with enough time Fenesis has the potential to become one of my favorite female character. Kuusler is still looking good so far. I also like the fact that he's not always winning.

With that said, I'm really looking forward to the next few volumes, which will decide for me how good is this story, hoping to not be disappointed after such a promising start.
I'll get my hand on the 4th volume in December. I wonder how that cliffhanger will turn out. This may change greatly the remaining part of the story depending on how this problem will be solved, making the volumes 1 to 3 nothing more than a long prologue.
Old 2013-10-22, 19:44   Link #9
Miraluka
Banned

I was reading the manga, didn't know Ping was working on it.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 02:52   Link #10
cloud04
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
I was reading the manga, didn't know Ping was working on it.
im guessing his avatar doesnt hint much?XD
Old 2013-10-23, 02:59   Link #11
whitecloud

Worthy succesor to the spice and wolf...dont you guys agree?
Old 2013-10-23, 03:33   Link #12
Zefyris
図書館狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
Worthy succesor to the spice and wolf...dont you guys agree?
I'd say that as long as I haven't read the whole 17 volumes of S&W I don't know what is a worthy successor in this case, and that with the volumes 1 to 3 it's still to early to properly evaluate the value of this title. It is promising, sure. it has likable characters and is pretty original as a story so far as well. Can't say more with just those volumes though.
Old 2013-11-26, 14:21   Link #13
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Now this is a very interesting story - just my cup of tea. Very much like Spice and Wolf, to be sure. I first came across it through the manga medium (ch 5 was released a few days ago), and have been enjoying it quite a bit. Am very glad a thread dedicated to it was already made! ^^
Old 2013-11-26, 14:26   Link #14
Shadow5YA

I'm still not sold on Fenesis, though that's probably because I can't help but compare her to Holo.

Very impressive how alchemy is being slightly more accurately described as early science instead of some magic like how it is normally misconceived.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-26, 15:31   Link #15
Quol
That Guy

I read the manga (cant find light novel translations) and its really interesting, i somewhat understand kusla's personality and i like it. Even though i still dont completely understand Fenesis' personality yet.
Quol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-26, 19:16   Link #16
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud04 View Post
im guessing his avatar doesnt hint much?XD
His avatar makes me think he is reading/watching Bleach .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 10:15   Link #17
watisit

What's with the author and kemonomimi?
watisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-28, 10:33   Link #18
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

In case anyone had missed this, there is a trial version of volume 1 chapter 1. Will be uploading the story by entire volumes, after editing.

Working through Chapter 3 atm. They missed out on a very important character in the manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
His avatar makes me think he is reading/watching Bleach .
I don't think I have the time to read any manga with my hobby... the only animes I managed to catch this year are what...SxS and Uchouten?
Quote:
Originally Posted by watisit View Post
What's with the author and kemonomimi?
There's a manga called Billionaire Girl by the same author. It doesn't have cat ears at least.

Last edited by LKK; 2015-06-14 at 09:12. Reason: removed link
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 03:56   Link #19
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ch 7 is released, and it is the end of the arc. No spoilers here with specifics, but I will say I was very happy to read the conclusion! Am looking forward to more chapters....
Old 2014-02-28, 10:14   Link #20
Sayaka Rei

I came across this series and it seems very interesting ... I will read the novel and manga !!
Sayaka Rei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
economics