Notices

Old 2008-02-10, 17:02   Link #21
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post

Note that if you do that, you might want to change the IP to be in the upper range of what the router assigns. For example, let's say right now you're using 192.168.2.1. If you tell your computer to take that IP, it'll always try to grab it. However, it's the first IP your router assigns. Routers assign IPs in numerical order, counting up. If you leave your computer off for a while and someone else connects to the router, their computer will take that IP. When you turn your computer on, you'd get a message about an IP conflict and your internet wouldn't work. Most routers seem to be set to assign up to 50 IPs by default. Assuming yours is the same, you'd want to tell your computer to take 192.168.2.49 (or something similarly high) as it's very unlikely that you'll ever have enough people connecting to the router such that a conflict would occur.
by that you mean the DNS server preference
my normal IP is set at 129.168.2.136
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 17:33   Link #22
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

By that he means you have to make sure it's a high number. 192.158.2.136 is high enough to prevent conflicts of your IP being taken by the PC downstairs.

You get a IP from your provider. And with that your router provides assigns a IP address to the two PC that are connected to the router. LAN addresses are 192.168.x.xx
In the router you are forwarding you probably state that port xxxx is open for the ip 192.168.x.xx
That is why you have to make sure you always get that IP if you want to have the IP with the open port all the time.

My cheap Sweex router is quite handy at this. It checks by Mac-adress and assign IP according to that. That is how i always have my ports open regardless of when i turn my laptop on.

Screencaps to make it more clear.

blurred my MAC address on first pic. God knows how far technology is these days and the potential danger that might come with letting others know my MAC-address

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 04:29   Link #23
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
ooh dear, this was a mess this morning...
10 mins before i had to school i was canging some settings in the router options menu..
then nothing worked anymore and my internet flunked.. i was in uther panic and took an hour looking for the compagny that installed the pc 2 days ago before my parents would find out
i told himw hat i was doign and he came over, he fixed my settings and fixed my download speed problem XD all he did was change the bt downloading program from Bittornado to the normal Bittorrent omg O.O; (we're back to 400 YES!)
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote