AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 44 51.16%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 25.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 12.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 6.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.16%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.16%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-14, 18:57   Link #41
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistress_kisara View Post
Episode 17
Spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2013-02-14, 18:57   Link #42
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistress_kisara View Post
Episode 17
Spoiler:
an other thing is that the brain who killed kagari and the hacker, and who appeared previously talking with gino, isn't likely the same person/brain who was talking with shouma, who got killed in this episode
well, yeah, they're an hivemind anyway, just a little detail
Old 2013-02-14, 19:09   Link #43
CJ_Walker

Guess they gotta change the name of the show to Soylent Brains!

ha ha ha ha. . .ha. . . . . . . . .ha.. . . ..

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

ha.
Old 2013-02-14, 19:23   Link #44
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I don't think anyone is surprised by the physical reality of the Sibyl infrastructure. It's also no surprise that the chief(s) is the physical manifestation of this gathering. What is troubling to folks like me who have been preaching the importance of the human element in the enforcement of civil society is that these minds retain not only awareness, but they also appear to retain individual autonomy.

From a philosophical standpoint, Sibyl is exactly the system that I said a society should have: It has human oversight, enhanced by technology which the humans keep on a leash. The only difference is that in the case of Sibyl, the humans who hold authority over it are the last people you want in that position.

The country is ruled by a cabal of those who lack the capacity for empathy. This is a feature, not a bug, because only those who are self-interested enough for us to label them "psychopaths" could effectively run such a rotten system. It's not that Sibyl's creators needed to use such people (as I had theorized), it's that those people were perfect for the job.

To turn attention back to an older theory that hasn't gotten much mention lately, I'd like to point out that given Akane's stress-defying psycho-pass, it is slightly chilling to think that if she had not developed a sense of worth for her fellow man, she might be a node in Sibyl's circuit board right now. In a twisted way, I wonder what putting someone like her in the mix would do to the judgement of the overmind...

Last edited by ThereminVox; 2013-02-14 at 21:44. Reason: grammar
Old 2013-02-14, 19:47   Link #45
Kirarakim

So the sybil system is run by the brains of psychopaths, now the reason it is called psycho pass makes sense.

This was definitely a great Makishima episode. Oh I still don't side with him at all (as Kougami said he committed crimes and needs to go down) but I can't say he doesn't fascinate me.

And if it was Makishima vs that chief (who shot Kagari) well in this sense I am happy Makishima won.

Some excellent Urobuchi dialog as always. This series continues to remind me of so many books I have not gotten to.

Edit: ThereminVox now you are making me think Akane might become part of an improved sybil system at the end.
Old 2013-02-14, 19:53   Link #46
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
This was definitely a great Makishima episode. Oh I still don't side with him at all (as Kougami said he committed crimes and needs to go down) but I can't say he doesn't fascinate me. .
Considering that one of the defining traits that make Sybil extra bad here is that it WANTS someone like him to join the club?

Well if we're defining that as a reason to think Sybil is evil, that doesn't make Makishima good.
Old 2013-02-14, 20:00   Link #47
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Well if we're defining that as a reason to think Sybil is evil, that doesn't make Makishima good.
Don't think I ever questioned whether Makishima was good or bad in my post.

I like his character, I still see him as a psychopath.
Old 2013-02-14, 21:05   Link #48
Forever
Revealing the truth

As everyone guessed, it is just a bunch of brains. What disappoints me is that it is just still very much under human authority...

I would like to see megalomaniac AI that forcefully took over.....
Old 2013-02-14, 21:47   Link #49
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

BRAINSSS~~~While everyone is expecting for brains, it is actually surprising to me to find that it's the brains of those 'special' people and mostly insane criminals with god complexes. To think the society is run by a bunch of psychopaths...and there's the thinking that some of them were forced to have their skulls cut open to be a part of Sybil System.

We all know Makishima is a sadistic psychopath, but he is too damn fun to watch. It's always a wonder to listen to him talk and the way he disposed Touma was plain awesome. Putting the fear in a God!

Poor Kagari....he really is dead...I wonder if the missing enforcer from other team will appear?

Just grow a backbone will you, Gino. You are such a pushover

Now I wonder what will Shinya now that Makishima has contacted him...a Kougami + Makishima team up possible?
Old 2013-02-14, 22:13   Link #50
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

It's going to be amusing as the protectorate starts to unravel the truth and inevitably end up with similar goals as Makashima, while ostensibly continuing to fight him due to different philosophies on how to meet those goals.
Also, cake.
Old 2013-02-14, 22:22   Link #51
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

I can see Kougami and Makishima working together to take down the system, but the end will be their philosophical battle in determining the future humanity should follow...or something
Old 2013-02-14, 22:26   Link #52
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
BRAINSSS~~~While everyone is expecting for brains, it is actually surprising to me to find that it's the brains of those 'special' people and mostly insane criminals with god complexes. To think the society is run by a bunch of psychopaths...and there's the thinking that some of them were forced to have their skulls cut open to be a part of Sybil System.
I'll admit. It DOES really make you wonder who 50 years ago thought that putting all of society under the control of a secret oligarchy of sociopaths was a good idea.
Quote:
I can see Kougami and Makishima working together to take down the system, but the end will be their philosophical battle in determining the future humanity should follow...or something
Keep in mind. This isn't really humanity. This system is only really setup in Japan.

Which brings up a whole can of worms of how Japan in this universe interacts with the outside world...and that the most likely result of some kind of collapse is the country getting taken over by UN peace keepers.
Old 2013-02-14, 22:39   Link #53
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Kasei did mention that thanks to Sybil System, Japan has became the one and only country with functional laws etc. I think it is pure chaos outside?
Old 2013-02-14, 22:39   Link #54
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
I'll admit. It DOES really make you wonder who 50 years ago thought that putting all of society under the control of a secret oligarchy of sociopaths was a good idea.

Keep in mind. This isn't really humanity. This system is only really setup in Japan.

Which brings up a whole can of worms of how Japan in this universe interacts with the outside world...and that the most likely result of some kind of collapse is the country getting taken over by UN peace keepers.
Given that those giant green things you saw were the "border drones", I'm guessing they don't really let many people in...
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Old 2013-02-14, 22:53   Link #55
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Given that those giant green things you saw were the "border drones", I'm guessing they don't really let many people in...
I think I navy would do a better job denying people from getting into Japan.

Quote:
Kasei did mention that thanks to Sybil System, Japan has became the one and only country with functional laws etc. I think it is pure chaos outside?
Well, Touma actually said that Japan is that "only country ruled by law", not the only country with functional laws. I guess what it meant was that it is that in else where, it was the politicians, aristocrats,army or the rich who runs the country , but in Japan, it is the law personified in the Sybil system who runs it. It was said in an episode that politicians in Japan have symbolic powers only. The Sybil system essentially makes all decisions.

Last edited by Avrorrange; 2013-02-14 at 23:06.
Old 2013-02-14, 22:55   Link #56
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

So is the Touma's brain dead? I failed to catch if the brain was physically implanted into the cyborg body or just memory upload?
Old 2013-02-15, 00:06   Link #57
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
So is the Touma's brain dead? I failed to catch if the brain was physically implanted into the cyborg body or just memory upload?
I'd assume it's some sort of network, with the cyborg simply acting as a terminal/receptacle for the 200+ brains stored in the basement.

That said, if true, the cyborg shouldn't have cared about its "life" ending, by begging him to stop. On the other hand, based on how the cyborg looked when it shot up our midget enforcer, and how it looked later, I'd have to wonder at the possibility that there are multiple "chief" cyborgs, because that's a heck of a job at cleaning her up otherwise, though if that's true, it still makes it confusing that the cyborg would beg for its life.

So...I'm a little confused, though I still think it likely that "Touma", etc, are still "alive" in that big room down underneath the tower, and the begging a simple literary oversight.
Also, cake.
Old 2013-02-15, 00:20   Link #58
AmericanFairy

I finally managed to catch-up on this show and I'm so glad that I did! This has had me hooked from the very first episode! Here are some of my thoughts on this episode:

- I still can't believe that Kagari is gone. He was my favorite enforcer and is already being missed.

- I can't say that I'm really surprised about the Sybil System. I figured as much during the last episode.

- I always suspected that this system was limited to just Japan, and I'm glad to see that I'm correct. That would be truly messed up if it had spread to other countries.

- I never, ever, thought that I'd be cheering for Makishima. That is one sick person. And yet, when he was fighting the cyborg, I found myself hoping that he would win and escape. I know that there was speculation that he might eventually work with Kougami. Seeing as the former detective has lost his faith in the Sybil system it seems believable that he could be convinced to work with his former enemy in order to bring it down.

Quote:
Spoiler for spoiler:
That's brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
To turn attention back to an older theory that hasn't gotten much mention lately, I'd like to point out that given Akane's stress-defying psycho-pass, it is slightly chilling to think that if she had not developed a sense of worth for her fellow man, she might be a node in Sibyl's circuit board right now. In a twisted way, I wonder what putting someone like her in the mix would do to the judgement of the overmind...
That thought actually popped into my head as well. It also made me wonder if the Sybil system would operate any differently with people like her in it.

Quote:
I don't think so. It was said that approximately 250 of these brains operate at once and that he was selected to be the current dominated one because of his friendship with Makishima. But I don't think that the physical brain was implanted. I think it was downloaded. Kind of like something from Ghost in the Shell or The Matrix.
Old 2013-02-15, 00:25   Link #59
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramarinus View Post
Yeah, I find it rather hilarious that one guy has the ability to topple a country with just his fists. I could buy it if I was watching Kenshiro.

So they have gigantic Tachikomas with cannons but they cannot assign multiple security drones to a prisoner transport. Suspension of disbelief has a limit and they went past it during this episode multiple times.

Oh God, I'm now just wishing that they won't screw up GitS Arise this bad. I'd literally tear my TV in half.
Ahhh, I think you're all kind of forgetting that Makishima has no crime coefficient therefore security drones would of just watched him beat the chief to death. And having human guards there with normal weapons was probably a risk they weren't willing to take, as said humans would of had to be in on how the sibyl system works, and I doubt there are any, let alone random security guards. Don't get me wrong, a hive mind of the greatest psycho paths of the century should of been of able to think of some way to keep him in check, but don't act like this is anyway out of the ordinary, unless you haven't watched the last half a dozen episodes.

Also, now that the chief is considered dead (unless they have back up bodies lying around, but then how would she/he explain surviving the crash?), who is going to be running the show? They have never shown anyone other than the chief giving orders, so i assume this is pretty much end game from here on out and everyone's gonna be running around with no leash. Should be interesting.
Old 2013-02-15, 01:00   Link #60
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Wow. I'd heard the BRAAAIIINNS theory before so I wasn't too surprised to see it in place, but I wouldn't have guessed that the criminals were in charge. And the people have been conditioned into being sheep... Could Sybil be planning some kind of Borg-style assimilation?

I hope at least part of the next episode tells how exactly Sybil was started, and how the people of Japan accepted it as their overlord. Did it happen incrementally, with it offering to only serve as a governmental advisor at first, or was there some kind of societal breakdown that led to them accepting this AI abomination as their savior? (And what is going on in the rest of the world, if Sybil is just in Japan?) Do other countries see them as like victims of the Brain Slugs in Futurama? Either way, I still believe that it was originally enacted with the best of intentions, just like a lot of bad ideas.

And of course, it was cool to see Makishima refusing to "make the contract", so to speak.
Closed Thread