AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-01-19, 11:01   Link #361
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Damn forgot about the official news about region locked -.-

Well , currently , i'm not decided yet to buy a 3DS . I think i'll wait for full reviews of many peoples , maybe some friends will get it , i'll test it first. And i'll see which one i'll take , maybe.. region locked annoy me so much except if someone know how to bypass it.

Currently Amazon sell 3DS at 249,99€
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 11:03   Link #362
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Wouldn't be possible without also making it impossible to play without a wifi connection, and no one would be stupid enough to do that. Closest thing that could happen would be the chargers use different voltages, in which case you'd just need to get an adapter for like $20 or whatever.
In a way, the only reason there aren't more import gamers was because of the extra cost in shipping.

But the recent massive devaluation of the US dollar has made it silly to buy Australian released games. It is now cheaper for me to buy American games and have them shipped from half way across the planet, than to buy games at my local store. All because someone had the bright idea of not adjusting the prices after a change of exchange rate. Now Australians had to pay double of nearly everything compared to US dollars. Even Steam downloaded games.

The region lock is really the final straw; I now have to choose between an American 3DS or an Australian one. So why shouldn't I choose the one with a larger library of games, with the games released earlier, and is cheaper in every conceivable way?
Old 2011-01-19, 12:15   Link #363
wingman32x

So It's going to be $250 USD. That's a pretty safe price point. They would have been stupid to go into the $300+ range.

The games look pretty good. Lol, another ridge racer launching with ANOTHER console. Lol, it's like it's required at this point.

The fighting games look good. I'm more of a DOA fan, but the features in Street fighter look awesome.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 12:33   Link #364
paladinenvec

Well i think that im going to buy the 3DS just that i need a part time work lol, here in Mexico will cost like 350 USD, but some ppl told me that amazon only charge 5 USD extra for the mailing to Mexico and they accept debit cards too, so i'm checking in...
paladinenvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 17:25   Link #365
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Yeah, the whole Region Lock thing was a tad sad to hear, what with One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP coming and all, but I'm pretty confident that something is gonna come out to get around that.....

What with the other region locked consoles having Freeloaders and what-not, should be fairly simple. Though, kinda wondering how that'll work on a handheld like a 3DS...
Old 2011-01-19, 18:10   Link #366
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
What with the other region locked consoles having Freeloaders and what-not, should be fairly simple. Though, kinda wondering how that'll work on a handheld like a 3DS...
Something like those region adapters like the good old (s)nes/MD days? I don't know about that
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 23:54   Link #367
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

It's like they're encouraging piracy or something.

At least for now, region lock = no purchase from me. We should make a "Boycott 3DS Until It's Region Free" internet club.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 00:03   Link #368
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
We should make a "Boycott 3DS Until It's Region Free" internet club.
Probably won't do anything though. Because people angry enough at the region lock to really not buy the system is in the great majority, it won't be much convincing...

Rather, the entire thing is: "Heh~ You don't want to buy it? Then don't buy it. And you don't have to play any games on the 3DS either"
Which I can't do... Since I like Nintendo's games.
I hope some way to go through the region lock is created though. Of course, for free...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 07:49   Link #369
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I am watching the USA pre-launch event right now...

Man, it made made wonder why I even bothered to watch the European event. It is clear they had spent all their money on the USA event and threw the remaining crumbs to Europe. Sure, Europe got the live guests, but the live translation is just unprofessional. The USA even got all the new videos.
Old 2011-01-20, 09:17   Link #370
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well , it always has been like that in EU
Old 2011-01-20, 11:44   Link #371
Sides

I was really anticipating the gundam game, but err.. just watch the video on the official hp, Gundam the 3D battle.
Somehow gundam games, appearing in the launch window of a new system, seem to be lacking in everything.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 12:43   Link #372
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well , this looks like the one in PS3..
Old 2011-01-20, 15:53   Link #373
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE
What with the other region locked consoles having Freeloaders and what-not, should be fairly simple.
Not really. Since the advent of upgradable firmware, consoles can be updated to reject FreeLoader media, just like it happened with the Wii.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho-
Well , it always has been like that in EU
Not with Sega, back when they were still in the console business.
Old 2011-01-21, 02:07   Link #374
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Well, well, well, looky what we have here. Nintendo's Bill Trinen answers some 3DS questions.

And oh, look (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo
How's the battery power?
The system will take about 3 1/2 hours to charge and then last about three to five hours on a full charge. That's with the 3D effects activated. The company guesses that people who keep the 3D turned off could get as many as eight hours. Turning off the system's wireless via a switch, lowering its brightness settings or even running it in a dimmer power-save mode will all help the machine last longer. The system charges off of a power cord or while sitting in a plugged-in "cradle."
"Bu but, that three to five hours of use must be at the lowest settings! Nintendo wouldn't advertise the usage time for the highest setting!"

Oh and apparently the blame for region locking lies primarily with parental controls and different regional game ratings systems.

Last edited by Angelic Cross; 2011-01-21 at 02:18.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 03:23   Link #375
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
Oh and apparently the blame for region locking lies primarily with parental controls and different regional game ratings systems.
If that's the only problem then they could make region locking optional with a password for parents. I'm inclined to believe this is mostly a licensing-related decision.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 10:45   Link #376
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
If that's the only problem then they could make region locking optional with a password for parents. I'm inclined to believe this is mostly a licensing-related decision.
I just wish they would stop lying.
If you want to rip off customers, just say so. Don't pretend we are all ten year olds. I wish someone would just demand honesty from them. Perhaps a wikileaks file proving that they lied?
Old 2011-01-21, 11:14   Link #377
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I just wish they would stop lying.
If you want to rip off customers, just say so. Don't pretend we are all ten year olds. I wish someone would just demand honesty from them. Perhaps a wikileaks file proving that they lied?
No one wants bad publicity, or to be implicated in any shape or form that they're asses. Even if someone 'up there' believes it's right to be honest to customers, businesses in this day and age are too fragmented 'up there' for there to be a consensus of honesty, especially since honesty don't always do good for the 'goody-two-shoe socially responsible corporation', which is the in thing for tie-wearers.

Look at the issue with the recent PS3, WP7, iPhone jailbreak issues. Sony is suing asses round for 'tinkering with products consumers bought' while Apple are 'changing screws' so that consumers can't open up their iPhone 4s. Only Microsoft actually seems to realise that you can't ever actually beat piracy through brute force, and WP7 is still a fairly non-open mobile platform, with its Windows Authentication implementations.

And also, the fact is that... a lot of ten year olds buy these consoles and games.

The people who don't give a shit about malwares, rootkits, legal spywares, bloatware, region locks, DRM outweigh those that do.

To these companies, it has yet to prove cost-effective or more profitable to simply be nice and streamline everything under one global umbrella. Even more so when a lot of these companies don't have a concrete global presence other than just exports. Region differentiations for products, locks and even regional restrictions on digital downloads are still there to stay, sadly.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 18:46   Link #378
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
To these companies, it has yet to prove cost-effective or more profitable to simply be nice and streamline everything under one global umbrella. Even more so when a lot of these companies don't have a concrete global presence other than just exports. Region differentiations for products, locks and even regional restrictions on digital downloads are still there to stay, sadly.
Pretty much the whole video game business in a nutshell.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 18:59   Link #379
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
And also, the fact is that... a lot of ten year olds buy these consoles and games.
Actually, no. In the case of ten year olds, their parents do th buying. And their parents are not fools.

Quote:
It's not about being nice anymore. Because it is a proven fact that as soon as I import an American 3DS I would be screwing over the Australian retailers for the 3DS's entire operational life.

Region locking is suppose to guarantee sales in the local region. But since it is about to do the exact opposite in my case, maybe it is time to look at the failed policy again. I don't mind companies being evil, but I do mind when they are being stupid.
Old 2011-01-21, 20:09   Link #380
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Going to invest in a PSP first, maybe get the 3DS during Boxing Week or something. $250 USD means it'll probably be a good $274.99 Canadian, and I probably wouldn't pay that for just the console itself.

A little disappointing to hear about the low battery life but it was to be expected. Seriously looking forward to the Ocarina of Time remake and Paper Mario 3DS.

Tags
3ds, dsi, nintendo, nintendo 3ds, nintendo ds