AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 14 24.56%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 21.05%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 17.54%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 19.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 15.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-31, 14:22   Link #21
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I should have rated this lower than a 6, but it was okay in terms of development. Why Enishi gets two episodes while Nako only gets one makes sense, yet does not sit with me well. I was expecting them to delve into why she can swim so well, how that pertains to her now, and how Okami knew of her swimming ability. Was she on any swim teams? Why is she shy in front of everyone but her family; is it just natural or did something happen? I just felt as if putting her as the focal char, there should have been more story to tell .
Old 2011-07-31, 14:31   Link #22
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Man this episode was such a disgrace again. At this point they decide to have a fillerish episode like this. 1/10 obv.

Just kidding.

In this episode of Hana Saku Iroha, Grandma gives Nako a raise in order to push her to save the failing inn (and show). Nako, being such an insignificant being, a mere side character with no personality was a bit insecure given that they only give her a single episode to make this work, while the idiots from last got two!

But it went well. Nako actually has a personality it seems, and her overly shy and quiet personality is merely a work thing. I found it kinda funny since she's never been noticed that much, but generally in the background keeping stuff together, minding together details that people always overlook.

That's because she's spent her life looking after her siblings, because her parents are too busy at work. Now, while half the cast at the inn may or may not have the intelligence of these little kids is up to debate, but the times that Nako has bailed them out because someone loses something is just something to consider.

It's also unfortunate that she has such low self esteem that a screw up makes herself deem unworthy as well as her thinking that spending money will help, but grandma has her ways of getting her words across. Honestly, her character was actually developed in a subtle way unbecoming of this show. Sure, it's not the most original kind of development. But for this show, it's pretty damned good.

The mermaid scenes were pretty lol wut, and I'm not really sure we needed to see mermaid grandma-- anyhow, has someone been watching Penguin lately? The overblinged mermaid made me lol though.

Ohana was on her game as well, it reminds me of those sitcoms that focus on a minor character but come someone like Ohana, they make a notable appearance that leads to applause. Yuina is of course that insufferable, inconsiderate dolt she was built up to be, but whatever.

Of course, there were still problems, such as those unfortunate drunks, possibly leading me to think that Hana Saku can be renamed Sexual Harassment: The Anime, and ofc fucking Jinomaru and Tooru show up for all of one scene in which their presence was greatly despised by me.

Overall, a great episode, considering the nature of this episode so late in the series, it did what it really had to do. It should have been the arc with 2 episodes, not the last. Basically it did what the series does when I like it. Keep the camera pointed at the good characters, and make sure that people leave the episode with their dignity intact. In this case, they even left for the better... 9/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-31, 14:42   Link #23
Ghostfriendly

Just want to hug Nakochi, she looks so cute Especially when she was hiding from her neighbour and shy about the new dress. She would probably have more admirers than Minchi if she wasn't such an impossibly shy mermaid, but she ought to make a someone a good wife one day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
An episode like this would have worked a lot better back in the first half of the anime, imo.

At this point, seeing Nako's "real" personality be so profoundly different from the Nako we've known for 17 episodes now is a bit jarring to me. It also makes me reinterpret what she said to Ohana back in the episode where Ohana was lying in bed sick. Maybe Nako really did mean that Ohana is useless. She certainly seems to think very little of Ohana in this episode.
This episode definately showed another side of Nako, but it's not inconsistant with what we've seen so far. I'm sure Nako doesn't think little of Ohana, she can just speak without thinking about Ohana's fecklessness sometimes. This episode might have been better earlier in the series, but the main thrust of the story seems to be Ohana's development, with the other characters apart from Minchi mostly getting one or two episodes.

Certainly many useless males, apart from Beanman and the Chefs, though the young master is improving a little bit. Better than all the girls being useless, I think, but really hope Ko comes through for Ohana.
Old 2011-07-31, 14:47   Link #24
HandofFate

a pretty sweet Nako episode.
I thought it was too much when she was too shy to even talk with her neighbor though, lol.

Was surprised episode 17 was it for the whole movie scam...thought it would actually get resolved, but it was just pushed to the side.

Maybe I don't get out much, but do guys in japan really hit on girls randomly in public like that?
Old 2011-07-31, 14:50   Link #25
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I should have rated this lower than a 6, but it was okay in terms of development. Why Enishi gets two episodes while Nako only gets one makes sense, yet does not sit with me well. I was expecting them to delve into why she can swim so well, how that pertains to her now, and how Okami knew of her swimming ability. Was she on any swim teams? Why is she shy in front of everyone but her family; is it just natural or did something happen? I just felt as if putting her as the focal char, there should have been more story to tell .
It came over as natural shyness I think; she spends so much time looking after her siblings she didn't get out and meet people from a young age. I think the beach ep mentioned that she wore her swimsuit for seimming competitions.
Old 2011-07-31, 15:26   Link #26
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

As always, personal taste is a weird thing - I never would have guessed, but I sort of liked that ep. It was still a waste of time, but an enjoyable one I thought. The tone worked for me, and I liked the interactions between Nako and her family.
Old 2011-07-31, 16:17   Link #27
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

It's not bad. About as good as the two previous ones.
Old 2011-07-31, 16:19   Link #28
ChairmanMeow
Great Helmscat

A few moments this episode that stood out: Yuina completely rejecting those guys, Ren's hilarious fashion sense, and Beanman's reaction to the "real" Nako. Yuina finally begins to realize that she made friends with three really weird girls, and Nako starts dropping hints that Ohana isn't as awesome she the latter thinks she is (really enjoyed these parts). I enjoyed this kind of episode, and makes me wish that the previous episodes made me like Enishi as much as this one made me like Nako (I thought she was fairly uninteresting beforehand, not that I disliked her). Overall, I wish there were more episodes like these for the rest of the cast. Also, looks like its the obligatory Cultural Festival episode next.

One thing that confused me, though: when exactly did Nako tell those customers that stuff about flower-viewing? It looked like she couldn't say anything beforehand, and just wrote it down afterwards. So I assume that it was offscreen that the letter was delivered? But she got paid immediately after writing the letter....
Old 2011-07-31, 16:20   Link #29
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
a pretty sweet Nako episode.
I thought it was too much when she was too shy to even talk with her neighbor though, lol.

Was surprised episode 17 was it for the whole movie scam...thought it would actually get resolved, but it was just pushed to the side.

Maybe I don't get out much, but do guys in japan really hit on girls randomly in public like that?
There's a small reference to it when Enishi and Sui are discussing the inn's finances.

I wouldn't call it a return to form for Hansaku Iroha - but it's certainly better than the tripe that we had to put up with for episode 16 and 17. The main issue is that this show has seemingly forgotten how to pace itself (not sure whether it knew how to in the first place, to be honest).

Personally, however, this second cour has been poor - it's felt more like a "character of the week" show of late (Yuina for 2 weeks, Enishi for 2 weeks, Nako for this week). There is no overarching plot to speak of, to be honest - and (to reverse the legendary line of TWGOK's Keima Katsuragi) I can't see the ending.

It sorta feels like everything was resolved in the first cour and the writers are just biding time with some 'drama' and lulz unconnected to Ohana before hitting us across the face with something massive happening to her - which doesn't quite feel right to me.

The episode on it's own was very good - certainly nice to see a different side of Nako (even if she seems even more brash in that demeanour - and far more likely to stick her foot in it than even Ohana) - and it was good to see some actual character development take place (namely, as previous mentioned above, just "Be yourself").

Also, -whistle-: Damn, Nako looked cute in that outfit.

A 9/10 for the episode on it's own, but in relation to the series in general, the last five weeks have sorta been in a holding pattern - and not really advancing the plot in any way.
Old 2011-07-31, 16:30   Link #30
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

With her inner declaration of not admiring a prince, I think they've made Nako out to be the pure virginal (but sexy) character that most people actually would associate with moe anime but have not given her a love interest for the viewer to hate or be jealous of so she remains a paradigm of attraction. I kind of said jokingly after ep 3 that Jiromaru was representative of a certain demographic of otaku that Ohana was magnanamous enough to forgive, but it seems like they used him as the "prince" that Nako left to drown which seems appropriate for her princess on a pedestal status of what her attributes make her and what she does not want. Kind of like she sees through the shallow attractions and desires and rejects that.
Old 2011-07-31, 17:08   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I actually liked seeing Nako trying to forge a path of self-discovery, because I used to think that's what this series was about and if we're not going to see that with Ohana, at least let's see it with Nako. But as so often lately, I'm finding myself uncomfortable about what message HanaIro is trying to send. While I appreciate the frankness of Madame Manager's conversation about giving Nako the raise, it almost felt as if we were being told that it was just fine for Nako to be shy, timid and lacking self-confidence. For me, I think she was absolutely right in wanting to change - perhaps not through sexy dresses and bangles, but change nonetheless. She's tired of being afraid - is there anything wrong with that?
Old 2011-07-31, 20:00   Link #32
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
All male characters being losers archtype is really frustrating at the moment, can we get a decent male character in this show? I wonder if Okada got dumped by her boyfriend recently because that would explain a lot.
Lol, I think True Tears would be more indicative of such a thing.

But yea, in all the Okada anime originals I've seen thus far, writing good male characters seems to be an issue or at least the female characters heavily outshine the male ones. Seems most of the guys tend to have... issues. At least Ano Hana took them seriously I guess.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-31, 20:49   Link #33
Shadow5YA

lol, Nako would let the prince drown. They did use Jiromaru, but it was still funny.

Poor Ohana too. Apparently she has no money, no sex appeal, and little friends. I love how they made her seem so pitiful after a full cour of Ohana being the model inn worker.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2011-07-31 at 21:01.
Old 2011-07-31, 20:51   Link #34
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

The little mermaid reference is funny
Old 2011-07-31, 21:05   Link #35
marcosius
Anime Critic
*Author

Remember that still missing Minchi, Tohru, Ren-san, Mameji and even Okami-san's dedicated episodes. And maybe Satsuki and Kou's past (the only thing we know about him is that he likes Ohana).
Old 2011-07-31, 21:24   Link #36
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I wonder if Okada got dumped by her boyfriend recently because that would explain a lot.
LOL. Too further hypothesise, maybe her bf was into cross-dressing (Anohana's Yukiatsu style) and Okada found him red-handed, did not approve of him, which resulted her bf dumping her because "she couldn't understand him".

Heck, the series composition of Wandering Son which also involved a cross-dresser was done by Okada so it isn't -completely- unfeasible .
Old 2011-07-31, 21:37   Link #37
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
LOL. Too further hypothesise, maybe her bf was into cross-dressing (Anohana's Yukiatsu style) and Okada found him red-handed, did not approve of him, which resulted her bf dumping her because "she couldn't understand him".

Heck, the series composition of Wandering Son which also involved a cross-dresser was done by Okada so it isn't -completely- unfeasible .
Ah, I get it now. She fell in love with a smug crossdresser that rides a motorcycle that constantly sees delusions of a past love and is an artist who also doubles as a crappy writer who left her to travel around the world for another girl that ends up clotheslining him.

It all makes sense now.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-31, 21:46   Link #38
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I also have to echo DemiSoda and Blaat as it pertains to how male characters are portrayed in this anime. I'd love nothing more than to see a genuinely admirable and successful male character show up in this anime... but such a dream is probably less realistic than Nako's was, at this juncture.
You better stop dissing on Beanman!

For that matter, Tohru and Renji have never struck me as anything less than competent experts at their jobs.

Overall I thought it a good episode, but its placement this late in the run hurts it. It should've aired around the time Tomoe got her own episode, when they were still establishing all the characters. The series feels almost backwards the way it's become more episodic in the last half season.
Old 2011-07-31, 21:51   Link #39
Midonin
Last Engage

The show's always seemed character-driven from the start, and as long as the characters continue to grow (as Nako did here), then it's progressing. Even a small step is a step. And I know I've said this many times in many threads, but I don't believe any character should be ignored - in the grand scheme of things, they all contribute something (even Jiromaru. He may not be doing much in his creative field, but he's not giving up either). Holism towards writing, I suppose you could say.
Old 2011-08-01, 01:30   Link #40
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I actually liked seeing Nako trying to forge a path of self-discovery, because I used to think that's what this series was about and if we're not going to see that with Ohana, at least let's see it with Nako. But as so often lately, I'm finding myself uncomfortable about what message HanaIro is trying to send. While I appreciate the frankness of Madame Manager's conversation about giving Nako the raise, it almost felt as if we were being told that it was just fine for Nako to be shy, timid and lacking self-confidence. For me, I think she was absolutely right in wanting to change - perhaps not through sexy dresses and bangles, but change nonetheless. She's tired of being afraid - is there anything wrong with that?
The message I got was that there will be people who also will appeal and accept that shy, quiet side of her as well. I feel that if she acted like she normally does, she may seem rude to some people. The scene with Ren is a good example. Sure, she didn't mean to be insulting, but she was, though I'll agree that attire looked horrible on Ren. Still, there was a more subtle way of telling him.
Closed Thread