AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 14 24.56%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 21.05%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 17.54%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 19.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 15.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-01, 04:38   Link #41
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

i really dont get that mangers character in the first couple of eps she was hitting the girls for any mistakes theyve made now shes playing the perfect grandmom,
Old 2011-08-01, 05:09   Link #42
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Now this is the Hana-Saku Iroha I fell in love with. More comments later, but it's finally great that the show is getting back into it's groove.
Old 2011-08-01, 05:54   Link #43
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I should have rated this lower than a 6, but it was okay in terms of development. Why Enishi gets two episodes while Nako only gets one makes sense, yet does not sit with me well. I was expecting them to delve into why she can swim so well, how that pertains to her now, and how Okami knew of her swimming ability. Was she on any swim teams? Why is she shy in front of everyone but her family; is it just natural or did something happen? I just felt as if putting her as the focal char, there should have been more story to tell .
I was also slighty disappointed they didn't expand on her passion for swimming, and instead just used it as a metaphor. As for her shyness, I'm pretty sure it's natural. Some people are like that, and forcing oneself to change is no good, it has to happen gradually (and it has happened even though Nako hasn't noticed it, she's clearly a bit more assertive than at the beginning of the series).
Old 2011-08-01, 06:16   Link #44
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
i really dont get that mangers character in the first couple of eps she was hitting the girls for any mistakes theyve made now shes playing the perfect grandmom,
The only time she hit Ohana and Minchi was when she thought their conduct LITERALLY got a futon dumped on one of the customers.

Also, you get the impression that Minchi and Ohana were much more greenhorn back then. Where as Nako seems to have been employed at the inn longer than either of them (based on Sui considering it appropriate to have Nako instruct Ohana), so probably less needing a dramatic reminder of how she's supposed to act at the inn. There's also the fact that she's been more or less happy with Nako's performance lately.

Seriously. Sui's behavior here is only surprising if after ep 1 you flanderized her into some memetic bitch who goes around doing nothing but slapping peoples shit up
Old 2011-08-01, 08:47   Link #45
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post

Seriously. Sui's behavior here is only surprising if after ep 1 you flanderized her into some memetic bitch who goes around doing nothing but slapping peoples shit up
well it was a very strong first impression that will stay with me forever
Old 2011-08-01, 09:05   Link #46
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Overall I thought it a good episode, but its placement this late in the run hurts it. It should've aired around the time Tomoe got her own episode, when they were still establishing all the characters. The series feels almost backwards the way it's become more episodic in the last half season.
Agreed.

Just to be clear, I'm glad that Nako is becoming more assertive, and less excessively shy. I just regret that the way this assertiveness presents itself is through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdk1 View Post
... she seems even more brash in that demeanour and far more likely to stick her foot in it, than even Ohana
I felt that polite/patient/thoughtful Nako was a good compliment/contrast to Ohana's brashness/impulsiveness and Minchi's frankness and quick irritability.

As is, the personalities of the teenage girls in this anime (including Yuina) are beginning to overlap a lot, and I fear that character distinctiveness may be a cost of that.

Basically, a Nako that speaks her mind more often and with less stuttering is a good thing, but I question the wisdom of making her politeness and patience a facade, it seems. A character can be assertive, and still be polite, patient (to a degree), and thoughtful.

I'd rather if Nako went in a character development direction similar to, say, Nia from Gurren Lagann, or Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke. A sincerely sweet person who nonetheless grows increasingly assertive over time, and has a good head on her shoulders.
Old 2011-08-01, 09:07   Link #47
Blue Cat
Feel the Ether

An unexpectedly great episode. Nakochi is my new favorite character. She reminds me of myself a lot.
Old 2011-08-01, 12:36   Link #48
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

totoum tells me Okada wrote this episode, which doesn't surprise me. As pointless as it was, the writing was clearly sharper and funnier than the distressing four eps that preceded it.
Old 2011-08-01, 18:25   Link #49
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Exactly what the show needed after last week's episode. I knew last week was just a case of the writer shooting him/herself in the foot near the end.

I especially appreciate getting to see Ohana from Nako's point of view. As I've mentioned previously, her saving the day again in episode 15 felt a bit Mary Sue-ish, so seeing the show acknowledge that she's actually not the sharpest tool in the shed was pretty nice. Actually, I feel that the perspective shift worked well in general.

Edit: Although this episode is perhaps just a tad sombre for my taste. It fits since its a Nako focused episode, but my favourite episodes of this show tend to be a little more "fun" (Tomoe's episode, the opening arc, episode 13, even episode 12 because while it did have serious bits, it also had the kidnapping plot and Tohru way of dealing with it.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Man this episode was such a disgrace again. At this point they decide to have a fillerish episode like this. 1/10 obv.

Just kidding.
The just kidding came just soon enough to keep me from quitting the thread... I just got back from camping and I don't need an intense thread like last week's to disrupt my relaxed mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
An episode like this would have worked a lot better back in the first half of the anime, imo.

At this point, seeing Nako's "real" personality be so profoundly different from the Nako we've known for 17 episodes now is a bit jarring to me. It also makes me reinterpret what she said to Ohana back in the episode where Ohana was lying in bed sick. Maybe Nako really did mean that Ohana is useless. She certainly seems to think very little of Ohana in this episode.
It never really seemed jarring to me, probably because I also have "fish out of water" feelings from time to time and hence the whole thing felt very natural and realistic to me.

Quote:
I also have to echo DemiSoda and Blaat as it pertains to how male characters are portrayed in this anime. I'd love nothing more than to see a genuinely admirable and successful male character show up in this anime... but such a dream is probably less realistic than Nako's was, at this juncture.
The random guys in this show have always been losers, we're just noticing more after Enishi's arc.

To be honest, the male characters in this series have been a mixed bag. There's a "pathetic loser" camp - Jiromaru and the random guys - and a "actually a decent character" camp - Kou, Tohru, Ren, and Beanman. I honestly think that the anime intended to have Enishi move out of the "pathetic" bracket in episode 16-17, but the pool scene ended up overshadowing all else from that arc. Hence why I say the writers shot themselves in the foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I actually liked seeing Nako trying to forge a path of self-discovery, because I used to think that's what this series was about and if we're not going to see that with Ohana, at least let's see it with Nako. But as so often lately, I'm finding myself uncomfortable about what message HanaIro is trying to send. While I appreciate the frankness of Madame Manager's conversation about giving Nako the raise, it almost felt as if we were being told that it was just fine for Nako to be shy, timid and lacking self-confidence. For me, I think she was absolutely right in wanting to change - perhaps not through sexy dresses and bangles, but change nonetheless. She's tired of being afraid - is there anything wrong with that?
Speaking as someone who is actually prone to losing confidence when out of my element (like Nako, but to a lesser degree), I see the message more as "just because you feel out of your element doesn't mean you are necessarily doing a bad job). I suspect the episode was meant as a confidence booster for people with these kinds of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
LOL. Too further hypothesise, maybe her bf was into cross-dressing (Anohana's Yukiatsu style) and Okada found him red-handed, did not approve of him, which resulted her bf dumping her because "she couldn't understand him".

Heck, the series composition of Wandering Son which also involved a cross-dresser was done by Okada so it isn't -completely- unfeasible .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Ah, I get it now. She fell in love with a smug crossdresser that rides a motorcycle that constantly sees delusions of a past love and is an artist who also doubles as a crappy writer who left her to travel around the world for another girl that ends up clotheslining him.

It all makes sense now.
You forgetting to factoring in that Jiromaru bears a strong resemblance to Yamakan, who Okada worked with on Fractale.. Unlike some of what you're mentioning, I think that one probably was intentional. I just don't know if its good natured ribbing or there's some bad blood between them.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2011-08-01 at 18:37.
Old 2011-08-01, 18:43   Link #50
Alteriya
Realization Dawning

This one surprised me, it wasn't what I had expected from the preview... (Then again nothing is what I expect from those..)

The back and forth between Nako and Ohana was entertaining, with all the, ".. In a good way!".
Old 2011-08-01, 23:41   Link #51
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Despite wanting something more dramatic or even traumatic in Nako's episode, I can not say that I did not like the episode, it was well paced, and interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
LOL. Too further hypothesise, maybe her bf was into cross-dressing (Anohana's Yukiatsu style) and Okada found him red-handed, did not approve of him, which resulted her bf dumping her because "she couldn't understand him".

Heck, the series composition of Wandering Son which also involved a cross-dresser was done by Okada so it isn't -completely- unfeasible .
LOL, quite the imagination there, but I think it's more like reflecting the two types of men that leave strong impressions to women, fools that they can laghing at, and jerks that abuse them. The first type is safer for anime, while the second more usable in hentai. Having characters like Kou, needs several episodes to build up, and are not practical as throw away characters.
Old 2011-08-02, 08:08   Link #52
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
LOL, quite the imagination there, but I think it's more like reflecting the two types of men that leave strong impressions to women, fools that they can laghing at, and jerks that abuse them. The first type is safer for anime, while the second more usable in hentai. Having characters like Kou, needs several episodes to build up, and are not practical as throw away characters.
So a man can't leave a strong impression on a woman for a positive reason?

That implication seems rather harsh, and a bit overly pessimistic, to me...

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-08-02 at 09:21.
Old 2011-08-02, 13:33   Link #53
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
How could Nako's mom maintain that figure after having so many kids?
It can happen - I know a lady who has had 14 children. She still looks like she did when she was in her early 20's (she is in her late 40's now).

Quote:
As always, personal taste is a weird thing - I never would have guessed, but I sort of liked that ep. It was still a waste of time, but an enjoyable one I thought. The tone worked for me, and I liked the interactions between Nako and her family.
Quote:
I actually liked seeing Nako trying to forge a path of self-discovery, because I used to think that's what this series was about and if we're not going to see that with Ohana, at least let's see it with Nako....

...But as so often lately, I'm finding myself uncomfortable about what message HanaIro is trying to send....
These two quotes in particular stood out, not just in relation to your personal reactions to this ep (and perhaps the last mini arc?) but with other people's "negative" reactions as well ... including perhaps my own?

I have been wondering whether or no having a "this is the purpose of the series" may be getting in the way some from the viewers being able to appreciate the series? I don't think it is bad, mind you, to approach a series from that perspective. But I wonder whether or no it can sometimes get in the way?

I am not "accusing" any individual per se - I am just wondering. I have not really come to the series with an overarching theme in mind, and while I have been somewhat disappointed by certain episodes or mini-arcs, it was never as "intense" as other posters expressed it, it seems.

It seems some of the posters who most expressed their dislike of Hanasaku eps came from the perspective of something like "this makes no sense in light of what I understand the overall message of the series to be" and "what is the director DOING?! isn't there contradiction going on message wise?" ... things like that.

It may be possible that this might be "getting in the way" a little of the series, perhaps. Maybe? Just thought I would throw the idea out there....
Old 2011-08-02, 13:38   Link #54
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It's always different for every person. Some people might see it more and be annoyed about it whilst others might notice it, find it a bit irritating but won't let it stop them from enjoying the episode. And then there's some that don't even notice anything (the luckier ones?). Everyone has a different perspective and a different degree of tolerance on certain things.
Old 2011-08-02, 13:41   Link #55
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
So a man can't leave a strong impression on a woman for a positive reason?
Works also the other way around, concerning sexes. But it is not limited to interpersonal relationships, news, education, religion, politics, even anime success and popularity (i.e. first impression) is based on how strong and controversial (or if you prefer negative) they are... There is an exception here for kid shows, which have an audience yet to integrate into society and be subject to the above mechanism.

Quote:
That implication seems rather harsh, and a bit overly pessimistic, to me...
There is an optimistic side... there can always be exceptions
Old 2011-08-02, 15:58   Link #56
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
These two quotes in particular stood out, not just in relation to your personal reactions to this ep (and perhaps the last mini arc?) but with other people's "negative" reactions as well ... including perhaps my own?

I have been wondering whether or no having a "this is the purpose of the series" may be getting in the way some from the viewers being able to appreciate the series? I don't think it is bad, mind you, to approach a series from that perspective. But I wonder whether or no it can sometimes get in the way?

I am not "accusing" any individual per se - I am just wondering. I have not really come to the series with an overarching theme in mind, and while I have been somewhat disappointed by certain episodes or mini-arcs, it was never as "intense" as other posters expressed it, it seems.

It seems some of the posters who most expressed their dislike of Hanasaku eps came from the perspective of something like "this makes no sense in light of what I understand the overall message of the series to be" and "what is the director DOING?! isn't there contradiction going on message wise?" ... things like that.

It may be possible that this might be "getting in the way" a little of the series, perhaps. Maybe? Just thought I would throw the idea out there....
I won't speak for anyone else, but that's not the issue for me and I never said it was. Fundamentally, too many episodes of HanaIro just aren't very good - it's as simple as that. I don't mind side stories if they're done well (as the Nakochi one was), but it does seem to me that this series does better when it focuses on the major characters and the major themes it started out with.
Old 2011-08-02, 16:10   Link #57
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I agree, this show did not need 2 cours. They should've given another cour ot Angel Beats instead of this. Too many wasted episodes in this series.

I swear, I go form hating episodes to liking episodes in this series, it's just so irritating.

I still contend that this show has an identity crisis, don't know if people see what I was saying earlier on, but I believe this to be the case.

This show never knows what it wants to be at times.
Old 2011-08-02, 16:12   Link #58
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It just goes back to terrible, terrible pacing.

Try again next time PA works. Even the good episodes like this are marred by poor timing or complete lack of timing. In other words, they have as much clue to doing a story as I have playing Sc2. :/

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-08-02, 16:26   Link #59
Triple_R
*Author

The vast majority of Hanasaku Iroha's episodes are good-to-great, in a vacuum. In other words, if I watched HSI like I would a North American TV show (randomly, through channel surfing), I'd find all but two or three of their episodes to be worthy of 8/10 or higher, which is pretty darn good for a series at an Episode 18 mark.

The problem is that... and this is admittedly a bit of an exaggeration... it has an effect on me vaguely similar to Haruhi's Endless Eight. Where either episode is good in a vacuum, but when I look back over the last five or more episodes, I find myself thinking "That's it? That's all the ground we've covered in all this time? That's all the character development we've seen in all that time?"

Basically, I agree with Reck and Archon. Bad pacing, and I think that HSI might be a show that would have actually been better with just one cour, to focus the writing staff a bit more.
Old 2011-08-02, 16:34   Link #60
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I agree, this is a show that would have been better served as a one-cour series. The rapid decline in post traffic is a good indicator of just how much of the audience has drifted off. I'm hard-pressed to recall a show where the delta between the best and worst episodes is so great, and that's often an indicator of a series with too much time on its hands.

I disagree about the vast majority of the eps being good to great though, unless I were to define "good" pretty liberally. Of 18 episodes, I would class 7-8 as mediocre to poor - and that's in a vacuum, not in context. I'm no mathematician but that's nearly half.
Closed Thread