AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-25, 00:08   Link #81
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Certainly the best football match on my TV today.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 10:11   Link #82
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I don't get it. What's this 'gentleman play' the ref and the dad of the Furuyas are talking about? I'm so confuzzled, considering I don't know football etiquette.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 11:37   Link #83
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I don't get it. What's this 'gentleman play' the ref and the dad of the Furuyas are talking about? I'm so confuzzled, considering I don't know football etiquette.
This is a surprisingly subtle and difficult concept (well, not so much considering how much better this show is than you'd expect) and it isn't totally clear who's in the right here. Among adults the kind of stuff the ref is talking about would be flopping, excessive complaining and pleading for fouls and cards, etc. Among kids I think it boils down more to the fact that the ref was suggesting that the Furuyas were mocking their opponents with stuff like the own goal and Ouzou's giving up the ball just so they could steal it again and set up Erika's goal.

The most interesting thing for me was that the ref seemed to imply that Hanashima-san's teams had a reputation for this, and he seemed very troubled by it,
Old 2012-06-25, 12:51   Link #84
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
It's not just football etiquette (see my next comment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This is a surprisingly subtle and difficult concept (well, not so much considering how much better this show is than you'd expect) and it isn't totally clear who's in the right here. Among adults the kind of stuff the ref is talking about would be flopping, excessive complaining and pleading for fouls and cards, etc. Among kids I think it boils down more to the fact that the ref was suggesting that the Furuyas were mocking their opponents with stuff like the own goal and Ouzou's giving up the ball just so they could steal it again and set up Erika's goal.
For a moment, I thought maybe the ref was confused, and thought it was a cricket match from which the saying "It's not cricket" comes, historically meaning that only gentlemen (read uppercrust British nobles) played the game, and would never do or say anything in a match which besmirched the integrity of the game. Nonetheless, I agree that, as you say, this was the ref's basic problem with the Fuyuras. Something akin to the cat toying with the mouse before killing it. I can see his point, and, if I was the captain (or the coach), I would be annoyed at them for going off on their own and pulling such a stunt.

Quote:
The most interesting thing for me was that the ref seemed to imply that Hanashima-san's teams had a reputation for this, and he seemed very troubled by it,
This puzzled me, too. I don't remember anything as such being mentioned before, so where did that rep come from? Maybe the ref was referring to the Furuyas, if they have some kind of reputation, but lumping them into the team?
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 13:55   Link #85
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Don't forget than Masaru was a coach before, and by all accounts seemed to take it seriously - he blamed himself for the injury suffered by his ace. He's also a former J-Leaguer. Perhaps his earlier stint in coaching earned him a reputation as a too-serious coach whose kids didn't play with class. There's no indication that he's relocated, so it's very possible that earlier team was local and the ref might have heard stories.
Old 2012-06-25, 19:02   Link #86
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
This puzzled me, too. I don't remember anything as such being mentioned before, so where did that rep come from? Maybe the ref was referring to the Furuyas, if they have some kind of reputation, but lumping them into the team?
I thought the ref was implying the Predators, this is a reformed team that uses the same name as they did previously.
Old 2012-06-25, 19:40   Link #87
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Don't forget than Masaru was a coach before, and by all accounts seemed to take it seriously - he blamed himself for the injury suffered by his ace. He's also a former J-Leaguer. Perhaps his earlier stint in coaching earned him a reputation as a too-serious coach whose kids didn't play with class. There's no indication that he's relocated, so it's very possible that earlier team was local and the ref might have heard stories.
The ref may have been referring to the coach's previous team. In the subbed version the ref didn't mention the team by name, just "I've heard of your team before, but today I saw it with my own eyes." The ref may have heard of rumors of a team coached by the previously famous Masaru, which is perhaps more likely for something for him to remember than an obscure team named the Predators. I am guessing from his comment that he had never refereed one of their games before.

Nonetheless, from the previews of episode 13, we will get so see more of this ref and perhaps we'll get a better idea of what's bugging him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
I thought the ref was implying the Predators, this is a reformed team that uses the same name as they did previously.
But did the previous Predators team have a bad reputations? I don't remember it being mentioned.
Old 2012-06-25, 19:53   Link #88
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yeah, I thought the reputation of the Predators precedes them. I mean, those triplets, while prodigies, aren't exactly the friendliest of the bunch. I bet this isn't the first time they did this, and they were on same team before too, so it follows they pretty much made the Predators infamous.

As for the 'gentleman thing', I personally can't grasp the idea considering the sports I played with my friends are filled with taunting, jeering, and trash talking. Of course it's all in good fun, with everyone shaking hands and good games being passed around after all is said and done, but being a gentleman isn't exactly what we did DURING the game.

Old 2012-06-26, 02:30   Link #89
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

This is the first time I heard the mention of "gentleman thing". Seriously, this ain't golf or Tennis.

Japanese got to learn from the source...

Now to the importance of next week episode regarding Reika mom. This will be cliche and boring

Someone fast forward to dieting montage..
Old 2012-06-26, 02:32   Link #90
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes, learn from the guy who got red-carded out of his last game and probably cost his team the World Cup in the process.
Old 2012-06-26, 02:44   Link #91
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Yes, learn from the guy who got red-carded out of his last game and probably cost his team the World Cup in the process.
As you know, its just a joke, but I'm sure you know that.

Still can't agree with this "gentlemen play", that the ref mention.

Zidane is legend. Maybe it was worth losing the shot at the championships ^ :O
Old 2012-06-26, 09:53   Link #92
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
This is the first time I heard the mention of "gentleman thing". Seriously, this ain't golf or Tennis...
I once heard that in England during the 38 year reign of King Henry VIII only seven players died while playing rugby.

If there were no rules nor refs, football matches might all end up like the animated version of one in the movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks.
Old 2012-06-29, 14:18   Link #93
JediNight
キズランダム

So I'm not usually one for sports shows, but I was convinced to watch some of this, and I like it so far. (Up to Ep3) As ANN states -- this show is only supposed to be 13 episodes, right? Or will it be longer than that? The quick pacing so far through 3 episodes, leads me to believe the 13. Although from what I've heard, Reika hasn't had her "character development" yet thats shown in the OP?

(Although her character design kinda bothers me. Yes, it's good to teach kids that even if they are out of shape, that through hard work they can burn it off, etc. But the original to later design change kinda insinuates that if you are overweight you are ugly, etc. As compared to something like the chubby characters in Real Drive were overweight, but not completely bad)
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 15:13   Link #94
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's at least 2 cours, possibly more. Now that the doujins have started arriving, perhaps it's finally broken through into the otakuverse.
Old 2012-06-29, 16:52   Link #95
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
So I'm not usually one for sports shows, but I was convinced to watch some of this, and I like it so far. (Up to Ep3)
Hooray! Another voice in the near barren Ginga e Kickoff forum. I am also not a great fan of sports animes, but if they have interesting characters and good writing, I am usually on board for the ride. And this is one of the best animes of this season.

Quote:
Although from what I've heard, Reika hasn't had her "character development" yet thats shown in the OP?
Nope, not yet, although she has had a lot of character development, I would say even more so than any of the other characters. Indeed, episode 12 is a completely Reika-centric episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Still can't agree with this "gentlemen play", that the ref mention.
Well, even in episode 13 the ref, himself, ain't quite the gentleman he claims everyone else should be. And admits it. He was obviously trying to use his authority, which apparently is god-like on a soccer (oops, football) pitch. But it backfired and, hopefully, will come back to bite him hard in the end after the coach files that official complaint.

Episode 13 seemed to go by very quickly. It was over before I knew it. I don't know how realistic it was for the Predators to be able to turn the tables on the opposition like that, with my zippo amount of football knowledge. I was almost expecting them to actually lose the match, but that would be silly, of course. Maybe next episode.

It was a little bit of a downer(?) after the last episode not to see more of Reika in action. But at least Erika scored one of the goals.

Kudos to the fansub group for getting episode 13 out so soon! After some of the very long waits we've had, it seemed like a miracle to see it available already.

However this cour ends, I know I won't be disappointed (unless it's only one cour), unlike a couple of the big gun animes this season which, in my opinion, just came to very unsatisfactory conclusions.
Old 2012-06-29, 19:13   Link #96
Kazu-kun

Aoto is a Maradona fan!! And no wonder his ball control is so amazing, he seems to be the kind of guy that breathes football. Just with that he's becoming a favorite for me.
Old 2012-06-30, 00:29   Link #97
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Lol, I saw eps 13 and saw that Saionji's family problems are resolved, and I go wtf? Turns out that I missed eps 12.

And scumbag ref. To hell with being a gentleman's game, I just want a fair one.

Old 2012-06-30, 10:52   Link #98
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

So in the end, its only the ref being a dick eh?
Old 2012-06-30, 13:19   Link #99
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Reika-chan's flying header reminded me of Nishida's "Immelman Turn" card capture from Chihayafuru...
Old 2012-06-30, 16:58   Link #100
ditn

bit predictable/cliche this episode,i guess its not bad but its overdone
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school life, shounen, sports