AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-06, 19:35   Link #141
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

At last! I watched the opening every episode and continued to see Rika looking slim, and finally they gave her that appearance in this episode
Old 2012-11-08, 23:30   Link #142
fukoshehe2

Does anyone crave Reika and Kota development?
fukoshehe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 05:16   Link #143
Sol Falling

Reika x Kouta is looking like one of the more believable pairings for her right now. I'm moderately rooting for it and somewhat expecting it. On the other hand, I would also be totally fine with Reika x Erika yuri (with their relationship getting a lot of focus due to their friendship, anyway.). In the case that no romance does end up happening, that'll be my default.

What I'm moreso concerned about right now is Erika x Aoto. In general the recent storyline actually hasn't been very kind with Erika, shifting her into the background as an Aoto fangirl and de-emphasizing her own soccer skills or abilities. She didn't even get to take part in the blind soccer practice match with Shu and the others, so now with Reika's improvement, Erika is actually potentially looking like the worst player on the team (well, maybe she still beats out Shu in absolute athletic terms). What I want to see most of all is Erika developing the thing "only she herself can do", re-establishing her strong point, and finding her place on the team again.

However, on top of that I'm also rooting for Erika x Aoto, lol. Just because Erika has already thrown so much of herself into it. It's really demeaning to be treated like just a fangirl, I think. I'd be much more happy in my respect for Erika if she actually got somewhere.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 23:07   Link #144
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Reika and Kouta always had that ship-tease going on between them, what's with their slightly mentor-ish relationship. I'm skeptical it'll develop into something more, but it's always nice to see something some fanservice like Kouta being the only person recognising her new look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
However, on top of that I'm also rooting for Erika x Aoto, lol. Just because Erika has already thrown so much of herself into it. It's really demeaning to be treated like just a fangirl, I think. I'd be much more happy in my respect for Erika if she actually got somewhere.
This. I'm initially all 'meh' over Erika x Aoto, but seeing Erika's investment into it kinda makes me want to see her efforts rewarded. It doesn't help that their less dense friends are 'kinda' shipping them.

I feel bad for Shu though. I still kinda like Shu x Erika, and it felt to me at the beginning that any romantic-ish development would've come from Shu's growth/maturity as a player, captain... with Erika bearing witness to that, and growing to like a changed Shu. ( by the end of the series )

But noooope.

I mean, it's still not out of the question... but at this point, I'm not sure if throwing Shu into mix of Aoto and Ronaldo~sama is beneficial to Erika's character.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 05:18   Link #145
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm not convinced there's going to be any romance in Ginga, though I too noted the fact that only Kouta recognized Reika with some interest. But her heart appears to belong to Masaru-san-chan.

I'm not inclined to believe Erika's crush on Aoto is demeaning to her in any way. She's a 12 year-old girl with a crush - have you ever been around one, or seen how many magazines target them? I think it's pretty realistic, but again, I don't necessarily think it's going anywhere because she doesn't even really know him. As for Shou, it'd make me sad to see Erika choose another but he has the "one who's always been by your side" chance - she may look at him one day (maybe in 8th or 9th grade) and realize he's the nicest person she knows, and her feelings might change.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 08:14   Link #146
Sol Falling

29 and 30 finally out. I practically died waiting for them, lol. Why is this show so enjoyable. I can't wait to see the Amarillo match in its entirety as well.

Seeing the team get steadily closer to the Predator's long foreshadowed 'final form', "Total Soccer", is really satisfying. So to start off, they're approaching the idea by switching up the offensive and defensive lines at will. I wonder what their playstyle will look like by the end.

Ryuuji also being audacious as fuck by trying to bag another match with adults in the Thunderbolt's first team. That ambitiousness and refusal to be bound by conventional boundaries has always been one of my favourite aspects of this series, so even though they were refused I hope it actually turns out in the end.

Great stuff.
Old 2012-12-28, 10:56   Link #147
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Trust me, it gets better...
Old 2012-12-28, 20:19   Link #148
Kazu-kun

I watched the raws and I was surprised Reika got this good. I think at this moment she's playing better than Erika (though I would expect a power up for Erika in the near future).

My only complain is that Aoto got kinda nerfed in this match. I suppose they did this to put more focus on Reika and Osou, but it felt forced imo. It's still a pretty good match though.
Old 2013-01-15, 08:36   Link #149
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Episode 33, I don't even... Wow.

Manly tears were shed.
Old 2013-01-21, 16:34   Link #150
ditn

i has gotten much better again,very exciting matches.
So its confirmed as 39 episodes now?
Wonder how they will fit an entire wolrd cup in that.
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 21:32   Link #151
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I can't sum up the latest three eps any better than Ginga did itself:

Spoiler for Joy:

This is pretty much as good a depiction of youth sports as anime has ever done as far as I’m concerned – S1 of Major is emotional and thrilling, but very much a shounen fantasy at times, and certainly no other youth soccer series has come close to Ginga e Kickoff in terms of authenticity and narrative style.

There are two elements that stand out far above all for me. First, watching Hanashima-san during the match – and listening to the wonderful Koyama Rikiya turn in one of his best and warmest performances. Masaru-san-chan has been a great coach character – and coach – from day one, but seeing his passion and intensity grow as he watched from the bench was almost heartbreaking. That phantom “Lightning” kick he showed us was quite unlike anything I’ve seen in sports anime – a moment where he was just a kid himself, a boy who loves soccer before anything else – expressing the feeling of every ex-player who coaches, surely, as he exclaimed “I want to play!” Even that supremely honest and genuine moment was topped, though, by his reaction after Shou scored the winning goal in extra time. That was pure, unadulterated happiness – one of the best coaching moments in sports anime history.

Of course, you can't top “Shou scored the winning goal.” That, surely, is the moment Ginga e Kickoff has been building up to since the beginning. Shou is the heart and soul of GeK just as he is the Predators. There have been no miracles for Shou – he hasn’t grown six inches or gained thirty pounds or miraculously acquired Aoto’s ball skills. No, he’s just ground it out – slowly getting better by working hard, staying home on defense while even Reika got a chance to bask in the glory of attack. No one ever deserved to net the winning goal more than Shou did, and that moment was a reward for the audience as well as the character. The Tireless Terrier is finally the hero, though in his quiet way he’s been the hero all along. There would be no Momoyama Predators at all without his relentless efforts, and every one of his teammates (and his coach) knows it.
Old 2013-04-06, 09:18   Link #152
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's finally all subbed, and what a finish. Thank you, Doremi-Oyatsu.

Of all the shows I've covered since I started blogging, I think Ginga e Kickoff is the one I'm happiest I did. Not just because it's great, but because in some tiny way I made a difference by convincing a few who would otherwise miss it to watch it.

If there's some part of you that's open to anime not in your usual comfort zone, and can look past genre and the age of most of the cast, I urge you to give Ginga a try. It's truly wonderful in every way - smart and funny and great about soccer and full of heart.
Old 2013-04-07, 00:16   Link #153
Uribatake

Wow, Reika totally told Sergio Ramos off! That was so bizarre and awesome at the same time! Although they couldn't use the all-star players' actual names, their likenesses were surprisingly effective and easily recognizable by soccer fans. Cristiano Ronaldo as a nice guy was a bit hard to swallow, though.

After the Predators lost the international tournament, I was wondering what the last episodes would even be about, but what we got was quite special and satisfying. This was a show that really got soccer right, in a way Captain Tsubasa's many incarnations, Hungry Heart and Area no Kishi can't even touch.
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 05:28   Link #154
Sol Falling

This was seriously one of the best sports series I have ever seen. Possibly even the best one. Definitely the best soccer one. It took a theme of ambition, pushing boundaries, and your own latent potential and carried it all the way to the end. A fantastic adventure of youth and heart.

It's incredible how this series managed to be so consistently compelling and entertaining even with clearly very limited animation resources. It's the mark of an incredible story which managed to be much beyond much of the rest of the anime we see these days. I will definitely keep this series archived, to be shared and rewatched down the road.

Incidentally, I don't know much about the production of this series, aside from it being adapted from a novel, and some of the voice actors. I wonder how well it was received, whether from a sales or ratings perspective. I hope that it was successful enough that we won't just see it fade away, and in time I hope to look into other works of the original novelist or other individuals connected to the production team.
Old 2013-04-07, 05:47   Link #155
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, it did well enough that Jump serialized a manga adaptation of the novel (the second volume was just released) and the anime fared quite well in several online fan polls in Japan. A show of this type wouldn't be expected to sell many Blu-rays in any event, so I'm not sure what the best measure to judge would be. If you go by doujin generation (there are worse ways to measure the popularity of a series, especially a sports one) it did have it's own section at Comiket...
Old 2013-04-14, 12:46   Link #156
ditn

finally saw the ending,really nice!
Im hoping on a new season,big sport anime fan
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 22:33   Link #157
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'd be ecstatic if that happened, but I'm not too hopeful. Buy the manga and Blu-rays and who knows...

Tags
school life, shounen, sports