AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-07, 12:26   Link #21
Dark Mage

Thanks alot for the translation but I want to read the chapters with Hitagi in it.
Old 2009-12-07, 13:09   Link #22
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
Thanks alot for the translation but I want to read the chapters with Hitagi in it.
baka-tsuki now have 4 first chapters of Bakemonogatari.
Old 2009-12-08, 17:21   Link #23
Gosick

II-subs have started translating the Bakemonogatari novels.

They have translated up to chapter 5 of Hitagi Crab thus far.

Last edited by Gosick; 2009-12-08 at 17:43.
Gosick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 20:57   Link #24
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosick View Post
II-subs have started translating the Bakemonogatari novels.

They have translated up to chapter 5 of Hitagi Crab thus far.
How can you tell? I mean, I see that in the progress area they have 1 thru 6 colored, but there don't seem to be any links that actually let you read what's there. Or am I (quite likely) missing something?
Old 2009-12-08, 21:05   Link #25
Sha123

Not the best place to put the link perhaps but it's in the first article.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=d6f247s_9ghxzvfch
Sha123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 22:53   Link #26
LusterFlare
Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha123 View Post

Thanks.

Spoiler for 006:
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 23:11   Link #27
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha123 View Post

I don't want to say their translation is bad but I can't help but smack my forehead while reading. I'll think I'll pass on this site.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 01:18   Link #28
LotionExplosion
is in Despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
I don't want to say their translation is bad but I can't help but smack my forehead while reading. I'll think I'll pass on this site.
How would you rate this site 1-5? The Translations that inaccurate?
LotionExplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 06:02   Link #29
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotionExplosion View Post
How would you rate this site 1-5? The Translations that inaccurate?
Well, I'll minus 1 point for changing japanese exclusive terms into "english" e.g moe to hawt - honestly I died a little when I read it.

Minus 1 point for explaining the jokes. Honestly translators nowadays need to give the readers more credit, we are not stupid, the fact that we like Bake is because we understand the jokes.

Minus 2 point for overall errors in places - BUT add 1 point for translating stuff other translator missed e.g the full house reference that was on this site but not on Baka-tsuki

Add 1 point for speed, getting chapter 5 done before baka-tsuki.

All in all, may 3 out of 5. now that I think about I made have been a bit harsh. I'll admit that I'm a fanboy and as a fanboy I get butthurt when things aren't done 100% correct.
Old 2009-12-09, 06:49   Link #30
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

BTW, someone with the IP address 212.85.3.180 is messing around with the Baka-Tsuki translations, so I'll be careful when reading those translations. I'm not trying to collect a mob to flame this guy, but this person is OBVIOUSLY adding his own lines to the translation. I mean I only a tiny tiny bit of japanese but even I can tell when there is an extra line that shouldn't be there.
Old 2009-12-10, 11:12   Link #31
Dark Mage

I dont know, if there are any Baka-Tsuki translators present here or not but if there are, I want to say, I am really thankful to you guys for translating this novel, I have really enjoyed the first 4 chapters and now looking forward to the next ones. So please keep up the great work, I am a regular Bakatsuki reader and I like your works on Chromeshelled, Kaze no Stigma, Zer no Tsukaima, Pui Pui and & 7 Nights. Thanks for all the effort and please keep it up
Old 2009-12-18, 01:27   Link #32
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Well, I'll minus 1 point for changing japanese exclusive terms into "english" e.g moe to hawt - honestly I died a little when I read it.

Minus 1 point for explaining the jokes. Honestly translators nowadays need to give the readers more credit, we are not stupid, the fact that we like Bake is because we understand the jokes.

Minus 2 point for overall errors in places - BUT add 1 point for translating stuff other translator missed e.g the full house reference that was on this site but not on Baka-tsuki

All in all, may 3 out of 5. now that I think about I made have been a bit harsh. I'll admit that I'm a fanboy and as a fanboy I get butthurt when things aren't done 100% correct.

They have finished the whole Hitagi Crab arc. All 8 chapters. I just got done reading it. Some of the translation are not perfect, but it was perfectly readable.

It looks like they are starting on mayoi snail now.

Super cool that this series is finally getting attention from translators.
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 11:30   Link #33
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
Well, I know what I'm reading this holiday.

Maybe sometime in the future someone will give us a perfect high quality translation.

However It would be amazing if the novels got licensed.
Old 2009-12-18, 12:10   Link #34
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
They have finished the whole Hitagi Crab arc. All 8 chapters. I just got done reading it. Some of the translation are not perfect, but it was perfectly readable.

It looks like they are starting on mayoi snail now.

Super cool that this series is finally getting attention from translators.
Well, we all watched the anime here so it's not like their translation would mess up the stuff we know already. Either way, they got the main points of the story and I guess that's more than enough for some people.
Old 2009-12-18, 16:05   Link #35
Zetsuen_no_Myuu
ボクは、ボクを全て殺す

Quote:
You're not the only one.

Save for honorifics, there are a number of lines that seemed unnatural and americanized. Things like, "oh damn, and "one hell of a...", and so on. Maybe it's just me, but the overall translation felt kind of colloquial, as if the series wasn't written by a Japanese author. It mostly just doesn't feel right.

I see II-Sub are joining up with b-t for a joint protect. I hope literal translation is going to be used, with less localized feeling. I hope!
Zetsuen_no_Myuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 03:54   Link #36
Kunagisa

Quote:

I actually talk to the guy who translates this (in fact I sent him the novels, which he could've dug out of share but I had it on my hand so, on a whim; I wanted him to translate Zaregoto to English more <__< actually), so I might be able to shed some light on his translation style. He tries to localize a lot of the stuff, which doesn't really work most of the time (examples like guji/guuji (宮司) and negi (禰宜), which he translated to monk and ritualist is not entirely correct obviously). This is why you see some of those stuff like moe --> hawt, but I don't find those distracts too much from my overall experience of the novel when reading his translation.

BUT, Japanese is his third language, and he only started translating this a while ago, so I must say even though his style is somewhat faulty, his translation for most part is still pretty accurate for his style.

EDIT: Kudos to everyone working on this, I am very impressed with people who take on Nisio's work to translate. /bow
EDIT2: By the way, I think someone should translate 6-8 of Tsubasa Cat+Epilogue, since the end of 5 is where the anime left off. THIS DOESN'T MEAN I THINK REST OF THE TRANSLATION SHOULD BE SKIPPED =(. Just some service to the people who can't wait for the anime.

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2009-12-21 at 04:08.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 10:57   Link #37
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I actually talk to the guy who translates this (in fact I sent him the novels, which he could've dug out of share but I had it on my hand so, on a whim; I wanted him to translate Zaregoto to English more <__< actually), so I might be able to shed some light on his translation style. He tries to localize a lot of the stuff, which doesn't really work most of the time (examples like guji/guuji (宮司) and negi (禰宜), which he translated to monk and ritualist is not entirely correct obviously). This is why you see some of those stuff like moe --> hawt, but I don't find those distracts too much from my overall experience of the novel when reading his translation.

BUT, Japanese is his third language, and he only started translating this a while ago, so I must say even though his style is somewhat faulty, his translation for most part is still pretty accurate for his style.

EDIT: Kudos to everyone working on this, I am very impressed with people who take on Nisio's work to translate. /bow
EDIT2: By the way, I think someone should translate 6-8 of Tsubasa Cat+Epilogue, since the end of 5 is where the anime left off. THIS DOESN'T MEAN I THINK REST OF THE TRANSLATION SHOULD BE SKIPPED =(. Just some service to the people who can't wait for the anime.
It's only one person? I thought it was a group thing since I saw they had translation checkers on their staff. I mean for the translation to go past so many people without raising a flag seems pretty....argh.
Old 2009-12-21, 17:21   Link #38
Kunagisa

Quote:
It's only one person? I thought it was a group thing since I saw they had translation checkers on their staff. I mean for the translation to go past so many people without raising a flag seems pretty....argh.
I don't talk to the checkers, so I have no idea
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-22, 10:59   Link #39
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Just finished reading chapter 4 of Kizu...
Thanks omimon...

Never thought that Kissshot is so noisy...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 19:40   Link #40
traziot

http://traziot.wordpress.com/

I have started translating Kizumonogatari o/. PT-PT btw
traziot is offline   Reply With Quote