AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-04-10, 19:02   Link #13101
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus753 View Post
Authors like Tite Kubo, Andrew Hussie, or Nisio Isin do not write badly. They troll, which looks exactly the same as bad writing. Fanbases have told me so. This belief cannot be wrong.
^

For them, every day is one of those "no effort" days. It dosen't take much to troll, honestly. It takes alot to write a solid, coherent story that maintains it's quality.
Old 2013-04-10, 20:08   Link #13102
alquimio_125

So that the story will end in a couple of chapters is a fake?
I say this because no one has confirmed whether it was false or not that announcement.
alquimio_125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 01:27   Link #13103
DawnEmperor

Tempting as it is, I think it's rather narrow minded to view writing you don't like as "bad writing". I'm fine if you give it constructive criticism or say why you don't like it, but "bad writing" is a concept full of vagueries.
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 01:29   Link #13104
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
I think that Hungry Joker will end faster than Medaka
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 03:52   Link #13105
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnEmperor View Post
Tempting as it is, I think it's rather narrow minded to view writing you don't like as "bad writing". I'm fine if you give it constructive criticism or say why you don't like it, but "bad writing" is a concept full of vagueries.
Actually the easiest and most obvious example what is commonly regarded as bad writing is deus ex machina (I obviously don't have to explain what that means). It's the stuff Plato and early greek philosophers were talking about in regards to poor literary construction (yes you can have what is commonly regarded as poor literary construction. If there wasn't such a baseline respected book critics just wouldn't exist.

of course there's nothing absolute but as with most things in this society it's something determined by consensus that is accepted.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 04:13   Link #13106
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
I think that Hungry Joker will end faster than Medaka
By a week, what a victory.

Unfortunately Sket Dance probably will get the "old series being static" pressure once Medaka bites the dust, that or Beelzebub.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 07:03   Link #13107
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
I mean if it will end faster that will just prove that the rumor was a lie.

Last edited by Iby; 2013-04-11 at 10:21.
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 12:56   Link #13108
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

Unfortunately Sket Dance probably will get the "old series being static" pressure once Medaka bites the dust, that or Beelzebub.
Beelzebub seems to be doing fine in ratings lately again so I dont see that happening in near future with that series.

Quote:
As have been said from old times deus ex machina was considered to be bad writing. So you are saying that all these literature genius of old were 'narrow minded" cause they called it bad writing?

I do realize that you can imitate bad writing on purpose, but sometimes bad writing is just bad writing.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 15:09   Link #13109
DawnEmperor

You need to take the context and time period of a work into account. Does this mean that Greek myths are automatically "bad writing" because Deus Ex Machina is used? Tropes like these depend on execution, it's not just "bad" from the outset. There's also the fact that tropes become disliked because they're overused, not because they're inherently bad(like happy endings or redeeming villains).

This is a persistent problem on this thread; someone sees an aspect of the plot they dislike, they call it "bad writing". Yes, because there's an authority on this, of course, or people all agreeing must make it an absolute truth. I know it's your opinion, but the way this opinion is expressed gives off the impression that there's a definitive criteria for bad writing, and I kind of find that somewhat arrogant.

There are many ways in which people can critique or criticize a work. Sometimes it's internal consistency, sometimes lack of realism, sometimes it's a perceived shallowness of the work. Or sometimes it's all of them.
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 16:02   Link #13110
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

When are those gonna end again?
Also Bleach needs to bite the dust.
Wasn't Naruto supposed to be ending sometime soon? Well i guess they're gonna milk it for atleast another half year.
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 16:16   Link #13111
Lupus753

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
When are those gonna end again?
Also Bleach needs to bite the dust.
In February of last year, Tite Kubo said the manga is in its final arc.
Lupus753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 16:30   Link #13112
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Compared to his Monogatari series, the writing in Medaka Box is really lackluster. The conversations aren't anywhere near as interesting and while a lot of the concepts are interesting and subvert shounen tropes, their execution leaves a lot to be desired.

As a shounen battle manga it completely fails because I'm really not vested in any of the struggles of any of the characters. The fighting and action itself also isn't that well done. As a comedy/parody it's pretty amusing at times but sometimes it focuses too much on trying to be a shounen battle manga, which is its weakest aspect.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 08:29   Link #13113
bastek66

New chapter. Oh wow,
Spoiler:

Poor CXC with all these 98 handwritten messages.
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 10:37   Link #13114
Tenchi Hou Take

Zenkichi's reaction this chapter...

Noooo, nooooo!!!!! God damn it I had finally gotten away. She won't leave me alone.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 11:06   Link #13115
Homura7

Well, she now has gotten some bigger responsibilities, so let Zenkichi take the lead.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 12:04   Link #13116
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Poor CXC with all these 98 handwritten messages.
I know, right?
Don't hate on me but I actually liked this chapter ...aside from translating a ton of handwritten messages.
Spoiler for 190:
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 12:08   Link #13117
Wolfenstein

You guys are warriors, def.

And I also definitely agree with the meta-ness of that quote. However, I don't know how I feel about that. I honestly thought it was going otherwise.
Old 2013-04-12, 13:27   Link #13118
Homura7

Laughing my ass off after reading that translation. Thanks Redkey, you just made my day.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 03:41   Link #13119
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
You guys are warriors, def.
Props to Waka for stepping in for some troubling ones that were almost unreadable to me, and Cross for editing that madness ever since chapter 1.

Anyway, chapter is out~
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 04:18   Link #13120
kazzuya13

I hope the last one will be a time skip. Cause that is the only thing that is missing. Most school setting story always ends with a time skip.
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council