AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-12-12, 08:04   Link #21
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Onegai Teacher had something to do with aliens?!? We must have been watching different shows. While I admit that a few of the characters in the show happened to be from another planet with advanced technology, I don't believe that it actually had anything to do with aliens. It was about a forbidden relationship.

The fact that one of them was an alien was significant only so that she had a secret that he needed to keep. A secret important enough to get married for.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 14:16   Link #22
marin

Onegai Twins was a horrible waste of time.

It took 10 episodes for someone to realize that the picture was taken from the house across the street?!!

And I wanted them to be aliens.
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 14:29   Link #23
bOcyOgl
lv.2 频道贼

la la la

we could be relatives ..

but we could be not related at all..

OP kicks in ~~

love alliance ~~~
bOcyOgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 16:51   Link #24
eMpTy265
<unranked>

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOcyOgl
la la la

we could be relatives ..

but we could be not related at all..

OP kicks in ~~

love alliance ~~~

Sad... but that almost sums up the entire series.

I'm hoping that the OVA will explain some of the unanswered questions.
Then again... I get the feeling that it won't.

Now out of curiousity... do you think OT was more about the relationship? or was it about the characters?
eMpTy265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 17:50   Link #25
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

That's because the company that made the Onegai series, Please!, had no intention in the first place to make a story about anything.

If you were able to read Japanese, and if you were to get the special CD that was sold in 2001 Winter Comike about Onegai Teacher, you will understand that the creators did not have in mind about making something about aliens (although Mizuho Sensei is an alien), the basic story is about - an escape from the busy life of metropolitan areas, and to revitalize what life is like on a typical Japanese countryside.

That is why, they chose the location Kizakiko Lake (near Karuizaka - a ski resort, in Nagano Prefecture) when they made this anime.

Due to Onegai Teacher and Onegai Twins becoming very popular, Kizakiko Lake has become some sort of a mecca for Japanese otakus.

Map of "onegai" spots at the real Kizakiko Lake: http://j-music.fuzzy2.com/one2/image/guidemap.jpg

Kizakiko Lake points of interest in detail: http://j-music.fuzzy2.com/onetei/00kizakiko.html

OT opening scenery: http://j-music.fuzzy2.com/one2/011op.html

Scenes from OT Ep.1: http://j-music.fuzzy2.com/one2/012story.html
(click on left links to see more actual Kizakiko Lake scenes used in each OT episode)
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 22:06   Link #26
luckme10
Just call me G

Location: California, bay area or is it San Diego... not sure
Send a message via AIM to luckme10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
That's because the company that made the Onegai series, Please!, had no intention in the first place to make a story about anything.

If you were able to read Japanese, and if you were to get the special CD that was sold in 2001 Winter Comike about Onegai Teacher, you will understand that the creators did not have in mind about making something about aliens (although Mizuho Sensei is an alien), the basic story is about - an escape from the busy life of metropolitan areas, and to revitalize what life is like on a typical Japanese countryside.

That is why, they chose the location Kizakiko Lake (near Karuizaka - a ski resort, in Nagano Prefecture) when they made this anime.

Due to Onegai Teacher and Onegai Twins becoming very popular, Kizakiko Lake has become some sort of a mecca for Japanese otakus.

Map of "onegai" spots at the real Kizakiko Lake: http://j-music.fuzzy2.com/one2/image/guidemap.jpg

Kizakiko Lake points of interest in detail: http://j-music.fuzzy2.com/onetei/00kizakiko.html

(click on left links to see more actual Kizakiko Lake scenes used in each OT episode)
And thats why people watch anime..to escape the boringness harsh simplicity of reality. Nothing like anime to tell us we really truely have no life eh?
After playing harvest moon, I've decided I want to be a farmer.
luckme10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 22:35   Link #27
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I'm sorry for bumping a month-old topic... it was either that or create a new thread about the same thing!

Anyways, I decided to watch this whole series without looking at any reviews from anyone, and you know, I'm very glad I did. Not having seen Onegai Teacher, I really enjoyed this series for what it was - a simple teenage drama about love, family, and "belonging". I was coming off of watching through Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, and being caught up in the closing arc of Da Capo, so I was looking for something a little less sad/traumatic... something a bit more light-hearted and fun. For this, Onegai Twins was the perfect choice, and I enjoyed it immensely!

While I do understand what most people are saying in criticism of the show in this thread (the plot was perhaps overly simple, the main issue was driven home in an almost obsessive manner, the ending wasn't terribly creative, etc.), the series still had a number of things going for it. First, the main character (Maiku) was actually fairly normal and likable... I felt I could relate to him very well. Second, the two girls and their relationships with each other and Maiku were cute... the girls were genuinely likable (Karen was my favorite). Third, the situations they got themselves into were often funny and fairly light-hearted, while some would tugs on your emotions a bit... sometimes both; I thought it was a good mix. The support characters also get an honourable mention; although they run the typical gamut, they add humour and interest to the show. (As I said, I haven't seen Teacher yet, but I did clue in to the fact that the teacher and her husband were from the first series.) Overall, if you don't mind the ligher plot and can judge this series on it's own merits, you may actually end up liking Onegai Twins. And, who knows, you may end up liking it a lot!

Anyways, to anyone who may have missed out on this series the first time, and is looking for something light-hearted, fun, and a bit "ecchi"... give this show a try. It's a great one to watch a few episodes at a time over the course of a few days. And for what it's worth, I think that if you like it for what it is, you'll probably find it very re-watchable. The situations are still funny and cute the second time you see it, and knowing the ending doesn't really change that (once you see it the first time, you'll understand even more why I say this). I'm definitely going to watch it again, because I enjoyed it a lot.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 08:26   Link #28
andrixnet

Send a message via Yahoo to andrixnet
I'd say Onegai Twins is pretty enjoyable sequel for Onegai Teacher. Haven't seen it all (ep8 so far), but it's increasing in my polls.

While Onegai Teacher was a lot more serious on some matters and much more emotionally loaded, O Twins goes a bit more on the fun side, but this does not bother me.

Mizuho is ok. really. Kei barely shows his face, but since 2 years have passed, I wouldn't expect him to play anything significant here and I'm glad he does not.
The rest is another story.
Matagu is diferent with his obsession with his sister really annoying.
Ichigo Morino (everyone here calls her Morino, while Ichigo was used mostly in Teacher) has a completely twisted character this time with her stalker behaviour and devious smile. If Onegai Teacher never existed, she would've been ok. But that's not the case.
A bit confused how everyone accepts the oddity of Marie.
The little girl with the dog at the beach was nice to see again, and her breaking binoculars

Got extremly tired fast with all the "we're relatives" and "or strangers", but in 7 and 8 they give it a rest a bit so it's ok.
The guy hiting on Maiku was really annoying and though it looks like a filler episode, I'm glad that's resolved now.

The girls and the loads of so called "fanservice" are pretty ok as the fluid animation combines things to look quite natural. Seeing various older french, german, polish, czech, etc movies that don't consider themselves so outrageous as hollywood driven stereotypes claim lessen the impact. I mean it's neither bothersome, nor to be hunted/drooled upon.

Cutest of them all was the "Love alliance" between the two girls and I'm very curious to know how it turns out. A couple codes can be pretty hard to uphold, regardless of the outcome, but it is also a nice way to dream of being together with your loved one.

Yeah, it's different then Onegai Teacher but I don't think it's less good. Few imported characters could've been a lot better, but the theme of it being different I really don't expect the same feeling as Teacher. So it's ok.
andrixnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-21, 01:56   Link #29
LArSON
leecher wannabe

Send a message via Yahoo to LArSON
Anyone knows when the OVA will appear? I was wondering if i should wait and put the whole series on one DVD including OVA or not.
LArSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-21, 03:21   Link #30
Yuuichi
Wishing for an anime life

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980

Thanks kj1980!!

I had some information on the Kizaki-ko & Matsumoto City area and where some of the locations were, but your links really help!!

After watching Onegai Twins and Teacher, they became my 2nd favorite series next to Kanon. And I must admit that I am one of the otakus in the sense that I'm travelling to Japan for all of February, and my final portion of my trip was heading over to Matsumoto City and Lake Kizaki to visit all the places I could.

(And it's off topic, but do you know where "Hinata-sou" and "Haruka's Coffee Shop" are? From sources I have, it's in Yamagata prefecture, but that only helps so much. If you know of any other places, of any other series I would appreciate it too!)
Yuuichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-21, 12:27   Link #31
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuichi
Thanks kj1980!!

I had some information on the Kizaki-ko & Matsumoto City area and where some of the locations were, but your links really help!!

After watching Onegai Twins and Teacher, they became my 2nd favorite series next to Kanon. And I must admit that I am one of the otakus in the sense that I'm travelling to Japan for all of February, and my final portion of my trip was heading over to Matsumoto City and Lake Kizaki to visit all the places I could.
Wow, Yuuichi, you're very fortunate! Those links that kj1980 provided are amazing - it really looks like a beautiful place. I understand why they chose that location! Be sure to take some pictures of your own, Yuuichi!

And, as an aside, I just finished watching through Onegai Twins a second time, I still loved it. It's such a cute and nice series, and I was able to appreciate the ending even more this time through. I really enjoyed it.
Old 2004-01-21, 14:55   Link #32
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuichi
(And it's off topic, but do you know where "Hinata-sou" and "Haruka's Coffee Shop" are? From sources I have, it's in Yamagata prefecture, but that only helps so much. If you know of any other places, of any other series I would appreciate it too!)
Many places in Love Hina are scatterred throughout Japan. However, if you want to visit the actual model for Hinata-sou, then you should go to Yamagata Prefecture, Obanazawa City. To get there, you need to take the Yamagata Shinkansen "Tsubasa" to Ooishida Station (It'll take you around 3 hours and 40 minutes to get there from Tokyo Station). There should be a bus terminal nearby to take you to the Ginyama-Onsen area, which have numerous places of interest from "Love Hina."

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~clown/lovehina/model.htm

Have fun
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-22, 12:56   Link #33
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Okay, sorry for bumping this topic yet again, but it's time to ask... the questions nobody has been asking about Onegai Twins!

(If you've never seen the show before, I suppose is somewhat spoiler material, but I'm going to try and stay as generic as possible.)

First of all, is it just me, or is everyone's minds permanently in the gutter in this show? Like, whenever a girl is crying in a guy's lap, it can't simply be that the girl is crying in the guy's lap. No, it must mean that the guy is forcing her to...

Second of all, when a guy is holding a girl that has fainted, nobody at all thinks "maybe this girl needs medical attention", but they're all thinking... Even the guy trys to say "it's nothing", even though he's all embarassed! Why is that?

Third, when a girl trips and falls on a guy, accidentally kissing him, which then results in her fainting, which then requires her skirt to be repositioned properly, why does this always mean a definite suspension from school? Is it his fault she was clumbsy?

And finally, I wondered what the heck is so special about an "indirect kiss"... or buying someone clothes for that matter... now, a real kiss or buying someone a ring... that I could understand. Are these girls just too heads-over-heals in love for their own good?

Anyways, that's all I've come up with for now, although I'm sure there's more. I really enjoyed this show a lot, as you can tell, and of course these questions don't really need answers. Just a few of the weird things about this show that made it so funny and fun!
Old 2004-01-22, 14:10   Link #34
Unmei
Tensetsuno Tenshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Okay, sorry for bumping this topic yet again, but it's time to ask... the questions nobody has been asking about Onegai Twins!

(If you've never seen the show before, I suppose is somewhat spoiler material, but I'm going to try and stay as generic as possible.)

First of all, is it just me, or is everyone's minds permanently in the gutter in this show? Like, whenever a girl is crying in a guy's lap, it can't simply be that the girl is crying in the guy's lap. No, it must mean that the guy is forcing her to...

Second of all, when a guy is holding a girl that has fainted, nobody at all thinks "maybe this girl needs medical attention", but they're all thinking... Even the guy trys to say "it's nothing", even though he's all embarassed! Why is that?

Third, when a girl trips and falls on a guy, accidentally kissing him, which then results in her fainting, which then requires her skirt to be repositioned properly, why does this always mean a definite suspension from school? Is it his fault she was clumbsy?

And finally, I wondered what the heck is so special about an "indirect kiss"... or buying someone clothes for that matter... now, a real kiss or buying someone a ring... that I could understand. Are these girls just too heads-over-heals in love for their own good?

Anyways, that's all I've come up with for now, although I'm sure there's more. I really enjoyed this show a lot, as you can tell, and of course these questions don't really need answers. Just a few of the weird things about this show that made it so funny and fun!
Hmmm first of all, it is not everyday u see a girl crying on a guy's lap. NATURAlly People would expect it's somthing sexual because first of all people who see it have ecchi on their minds not to mention i said that it is not everyday you see a girl on a guy's lap> PEOPLE WOULD ImmeDIATELY SUPPECT the guy is ... to the girl.

Second of all, yet again you don't see a girl faint everyday. people would look towards where the girl fainted to see if she needs assistance or something, it doesn't mean the people think they are doing something sexual or something. The guy is embarrased becuz he thinks other people are thinking that they are doin something sexual.

Thirdly, that Maiku is in is WACK. As Karen mentioned in some episode, it seems like there are only two senseis in the school when Karen's swimming class sensei is replaced by the alien sensei(Forgot the name). And they actually lock down a school under student president's (the girl who smirks, yet again i forgot the name) order becuz there is two suspicious character running around the school. Anyways, maybe people thought that Maiku was taking advantage of Karen but then that wouldn't be possible becuz only people who knew Maiku pretty well saw him kissing Karen and stuff. I don't really understand about that suspension either.

Finally, Karen and Mina is defintely VERy HEAd over heals in Love with Maiku plus they want to treasure every minute with him. And at that point of the show, they still didn't know who's related so they want to treasure any kisses or gifts they recieve from Maiku. At that point of the show, they can't kiss Maiku due to LOVE ALLIANCE Rule # something... So Mina treasures that indirect kiss. As for Karen, the gift she received from Maiku was something she liked and well if you were a girl who is seriously in love, wouldn't you treasure anything your boyfriend gave u.

That about sums it up!!
Unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-22, 14:16   Link #35
Kensuke

Basically it comes to the nature of Onegai Twins -series. In some other, more serious or dramatic series it would be just that, nothing special if girl is crying in guy's lap, but in Onegai Twins (and countless other anime-series) most of the humor is derived from sexual situations, then it would be "natural" to any character that see that kind of otherwise innocent situation to think that something... else... is happening.

Like in typical Love Hina scene, Keitaro comes to see Naru when she is chancing clothes, makes Naru always think that Keitaro is pervert and then sends him flying in the sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
I wondered what the heck is so special about an "indirect kiss"... or buying someone clothes for that matter... now, a real kiss or buying someone a ring... that I could understand.
Symbolism. Well, in fact I'm not sure but "simple" kiss and buying presents seems to be big deal in anime, so those situations are handled differently than same kind of real life situations in western world.

Just my random thoughts...

And I really enjoyed this series, annoying at times, but in the end funny and enjoyable series.
I hope there will be third Onegai -series. I want more Mizuho-sensei!

Edit: Unmei beated me...
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-22, 15:33   Link #36
marin

And BTW, what's with the other version of the picture that shows all three of them together?

They totally did not bother with it in the TV series.

Is it going to show up in the OAV or something?
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-22, 16:49   Link #37
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Thanks Unmei and Kensuke for your replies! As I said, they were sort of rhetorical questions, as I already knew the answers to them... but thank you for answering them anyways! It's just some of the wierd things that make this anime so funny... I love it!

And, Marin, do you mean the picture they showed at the very end of the last episode, or another picture? Also, when you say "they did not bother with it in the TV series", is this series based on a manga or book (forgive my ignorance)?
Old 2004-01-26, 23:35   Link #38
perth

Question Can someone please explain the end of Onegai Twins to me

hi i watched this series and the onegai teacher series today and the end of onegi twins really confused me. can someone give me a play by play of what was happening?
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 01:02   Link #39
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth
hi i watched this series and the onegai teacher series today and the end of onegi twins really confused me. can someone give me a play by play of what was happening?
Since I enjoyed Onegai Twins so much, I'd be glad to give you a play be play (it's from memory though, so it may not be perfect!).

Spoiler:

(To be continued right away in the next post...)

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2004-01-27 at 01:44. Reason: grammar
Old 2004-01-27, 01:08   Link #40
Thany
Unfair

Hum you should perhaps tag some spoiler tags for those who hadn't seen the end of this anime yet?
Thany is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance