AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-09-05, 22:53   Link #3141
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The online dictionary I always use is Jim Breen's WWWJDIC (WWW Japanese Dictionary).

On its Translate Words feature, you're not given a direct machine translation; instead, you're given the words' meaning and its verb form (for verbs), formality and other stuff. If in doubt, you can look over unfamiliar kanji on its Kanji Lookup and Multi-radical Kanji functions.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/c...wwwjdic.cgi?1C
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 12:27   Link #3142
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

How do you say this in Japanese? --> "I wonder if he is one of my students" or "I wonder if he is among my students"
Old 2010-09-13, 12:53   Link #3143
Qikz

Would it be

かれは僕/私の生徒ですかな
kare wa boku/watashi no seito desu kana

I'm not sure, but I think it's that.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 10:22   Link #3144
ryohei

Most neutral Answer:
彼は私の生徒だろうか
Kare wa watashi no seito darou ka

From "desu kana" expression, I imagine speaker is old gentleman.
And the choice of the first-person expression strongly depends on the context, so whether boku is good or bad cannot be judged. (watashi is formal for both of man and woman)
ryohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 07:23   Link #3145
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
could anyone by any chance recommend a textbook which can be easily downloaded from the internet??
i do not wish to learn to write hyerogliphics, just speak. oh, and i am a beginner of course...
help would be very appreciated)).
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 09:52   Link #3146
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiffer View Post
could anyone by any chance recommend a textbook which can be easily downloaded from the internet??
i do not wish to learn to write hyerogliphics, just speak. oh, and i am a beginner of course...
Learn to write it. Just... do it. I doubt there are any textbooks that will walk you through the entire thing using just Romanization. Furthermore, understanding the writing system will provide you with a good deal of insight into verb structures, noun compounds, etc. etc. Insisting on just learning how to speak/listen without learning how to read/write... if you were born and raised in Japan then fine, but if you're learning it later in life with a non-Japanese background, then it's just not happening.

If you want a downloadable textbook, http://nihongoresources.com has a good sized (300+ pages) one up for free download. Of course the book stops using Romanization after the intro chapter on Hiragana.
Old 2010-09-15, 11:07   Link #3147
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
Text books can get expensive, If your not taking a class, I would recommend some free web sites that are a lot more fun then just reading. I recomend you make flash cards of the
ひらがな (Hiragana) characters using Yoshida Institute, and genki. For learning vocab in a fun way I highly suggest Erin's Challenge. Erin's Challenge is a lot of fun, and if you do the exercises and the extra lesson vids that go along with the skits, that can be an excellent way to learn. I'm taking a class, so I have a text book, but I would not be at the level I'm at without those sites.
Old 2010-09-15, 23:53   Link #3148
Kudryavka

Quote:
If you just want to speak basic Japanese and don't care for reading it, I highly suggest the Japanese for Dummies book - it's specifically written for people who just need to know how to get around Japan, and it's written with a tourist's interests in mind (its intro clearly says it's not for people who are planning on majoring in Japanese and the like ). The book is pretty hefty though, about 5 lbs; there's a cheaper, pocket book version under the Dummies brand, but that one only teaches basic phrases, not how the language works like the full version does. Also, no Japanese characters at all (which is usually a very bad thing, but for a fleeting interest in the subject is okay ). The full version can probably be found in your local library, it's where I found my first copy before I bought one of my own.

And imho free downloadable good books from the internet are scarce and few. Best to start raising some bucks.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 02:42   Link #3149
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
thanks all of you))
i'll check out all the suggestions, if i can find the time.
Raiga
i knew there would be someone like you. i know what i want and hyerogliphics are not that. i just want to undestand raw anime...
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 19:02   Link #3150
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
thanks all of you))
i'll check out all the suggestions, if i can find the time.
Raiga
i knew there would be someone like you. i know what i want and hyerogliphics are not that. i just want to undestand raw anime...
Good luck reading signs in anime.

I gave you the advice I did because nobody who isn't serious about learning a language, nobody who doesn't truly love and respect the language itself, will actually be able to learn it. It's not a matter of ability; it's a matter of motivation. I mean feel free to think to yourself, "Whatever, I'll just learn enough to understand anime" but that doesn't mean it'll get you anywhere.

But whatever. It's your choice. I'm just wondering if you'll give up in two weeks or three.
Old 2010-09-16, 22:06   Link #3151
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenken's Smile View Post
How do you say "AMONG" or "one of"???

2/ Is it appropriate to use "san" (or any honorific) after a FULL name? For example: Masuda Takeshi-san (Matsuda is last name, Takeshi is first name).
Not sure on the first part, but as for using san, from my understanding it is used in both first and last. If you don't know the person well, you would refer to him/her by their family name (last name) using the 'san' ending. Same for the first name but only if they are close to you.
If anyone else knows better then please correct me.
Old 2010-09-16, 22:24   Link #3152
Orizuru

彼は私の生徒の中/内の一人だろうか
kare wa watashi no seito no naka/uti no hitori darou ka

if you should let me know this situation in detail, I will be able to give a full translation
Orizuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 00:09   Link #3153
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Good luck reading signs in anime.

I gave you the advice I did because nobody who isn't serious about learning a language, nobody who doesn't truly love and respect the language itself, will actually be able to learn it. It's not a matter of ability; it's a matter of motivation. I mean feel free to think to yourself, "Whatever, I'll just learn enough to understand anime" but that doesn't mean it'll get you anywhere.

But whatever. It's your choice. I'm just wondering if you'll give up in two weeks or three.
^This. Sorry Diff, but it's the truth. Learning a new language is no joke. The best way you can just learn enough Japanese to watch raws is to go and live in
Japan for a year; it'd be impossible not to learn the spoken, everyday language. Not that that's a good idea unless you have family/friends living there or like backpacking, since any other option would involve spending a lot of money and/or having to work there (from what I've heard, it's not easy for foreigners to get decent full time jobs in most countries, because of labor laws and whatnot).
Old 2010-09-17, 15:57   Link #3154
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

What does the AS header mean?
Also, Notice the small letters under the word 'anime'. What do those mean?
Also, I know that often Japanese will have a word or sentence then a small word or sentence after it. Why do they do that? Get my question?
Old 2010-09-17, 18:59   Link #3155
ryohei

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post

What does the AS header mean?
Also, Notice the small letters under the word 'anime'. What do those mean?
Also, I know that often Japanese will have a word or sentence then a small word or sentence after it. Why do they do that? Get my question?
好き is suki, means like. アニメ is anime. This header means Anime Suki(like anime).

>a small word after a word or sentence......
you mean ruby character?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_character
ryohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 20:55   Link #3156
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryohei View Post
好き is suki, means like. アニメ is anime. This header means Anime Suki(like anime).

>a small word after a word or sentence......
you mean ruby character?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_character
Thanks... So it's correct to say that Ruby characters are the equivalent of accent marks in English?
Old 2010-09-18, 22:09   Link #3157
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Nope. Ruby characters only exist on languages with logographic characters like Chinese, Japanese and Korean.
And perhaps Egyptian Hieroglyphs.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 23:01   Link #3158
Kudryavka

fyi they're also called furigana in Japanese. I've never heard them called rubi.
Old 2010-09-19, 01:10   Link #3159
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

What's the difference between "kun", "san", and "chan"?
Old 2010-09-19, 01:11   Link #3160
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
What's the difference between "kun", "san", and "chan"?
Spoiler for San:

Spoiler for Sama:

Spoiler for Kun:

Spoiler for Chan:

Last edited by Hooves; 2010-09-19 at 01:46.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiragana