AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 90 62.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 23.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 7.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.78%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.39%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-29, 19:21   Link #161
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I've updated the hashihime characters/seiyuus page to include pics of and info about the new characters from ep16 -- Patty Martin and the Miyakawa sisters -- and their seiyuus (including the fabulous Sasaki Nozomi and the wonderful Kano Yui).

I'm sure Yukino Satsuki did a great job as Patty Martin, but I think we'll find that Sasaki Nozomi (Nanami in Bokura ga Ita) does her own kind of great job, too. The younger Miyakawa sister is Kano Yui, who was co-winner of the award as top young seiyuu of 2006 for Momoko in Sumoimo mo Momo mo; and the elder sister is Takaguchi Yukiko, who was amazing as Sunako in Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge (The Wallflower).
I'm just glad Sasaki is getting more work, since I loved what she did in Bokura ga Ita. Unquestionably, Yukino is an outstanding seiyuu (who is, arguably, a tad underrated herself), but I'm hoping to hear more from Sasaki in the near future, since I think she has potential to be a star.
Old 2007-07-29, 19:43   Link #162
NibelungTaisa
freshly noob

loved it...not sure if it has been mentioned yet or not but after watching this eps, i was wondering, if it does get licesed or not, how will they pull off this episode? especially where konata was switching back and foward from haruhi and back...as for the lots of haruhi references throught the series, i always thought that kyoani was doing it purposely to hint ppl that they are gonna do suzumiya season 2, just like how i felt with the clannad cameo's in kanon 2006, that they are gonna produce a clannad tv series...if i am right, then they might also be hinting somewhere in this episode (or another eps) about when suzumiya 2 will air
Old 2007-07-29, 21:20   Link #163
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

You know,I'm glad that I loved Haruhi Suzumiya because if a serie I liked started plugging a dozen references about a show I don't know or worse,a show I didn't like,I would have been turned off by it.

What's freaky was that just before downloading this episode I was watching the Haruhi Suzumiya live concert (wich turned out to be pretty disappointing). I want Season 2 already!!

But I would still love to visit a cosplay cafe like that
Old 2007-07-29, 21:41   Link #164
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
You know,I'm glad that I loved Haruhi Suzumiya because if a serie I liked started plugging a dozen references about a show I don't know or worse,a show I didn't like,I would have been turned off by it. What's freaky was that just before downloading this episode I was watching the Haruhi Suzumiya live concert (which turned out to be pretty disappointing). I want Season 2 already!! But I would still love to visit a cosplay cafe like that
Good point about the Haruhi references: I'm glad I loved that show, too. You help me feel more sympathy for those who didn't.

But I just want people in this thread to know that I for one totally loved the Haruhi concert (Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekisou). Don't miss it, especially the second half, which is the concert part. Then you can make your own judgment. As a singer, Hirano Aya is no Onitsuka Chihiro -- or even Chihara Minori -- but she's a real entertainer. I found the show great entertainment -- and the joyous atmosphere created by the 2500 chanting, jumping otaku in the audience was a big part of the show.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-07-29, 22:31   Link #165
Dark Wing

I have to this has got to be one of my favorite L*S episodes so fare. The Haruhi references were made of pure gold and win but it also raises the question how long can exactly milk a series like that.
Old 2007-07-30, 00:47   Link #166
GoldAlchemist
Yamada...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/コスって-オーマイハニー...5774182&sr=1-1

Konata and Patricia's CD is up for sale for real!
Old 2007-07-30, 00:50   Link #167
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldAlchemist View Post

Well I guess that just answered my question now didn't...
Old 2007-07-30, 03:08   Link #168
Kagami
My darlin darlin PLEASE!

Great episode. Gotta love the Haruhi references and when Konata changes her voice from Haruhi back to herself. But one thing is for sure. How much longer are they gonna keep referring about Haruhi.
Old 2007-07-30, 06:09   Link #169
arkon

After reading about the haruhi stuff at the start of the thread I was kind of worried. Having seen the episode myself, it wasn't that bad at all, in fact I quite enjoyed that cosplay scene. It was a nice look at Konata at work I thought, and had some nice reactions from the characters particularly Kagami's changing expressions as Kaoru touched upon. Makes me glad I don't read manga before watching their anime adaptations as I'm sure I'd be tempted to compare them, complain about non-manga etc.. stuff like Vexx has been doing. Not sure I'd be quite as vocal about it mind you, but that's by the by.

I suppose it also helps that I don't really find the series particularly special. For me it's an enjoyable filler show (with some laughs) on the days I don't have much else to watch or do. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for the next episode. Somewhere between a 6 or a 7 out of 10 for the series if I were to give a rating but as people sometimes get jumped on for that I won't and usually don't vote.

Kind of agreed with Sorrow-K too. The anime tenchou segment is becoming rather tired now. It was okay at first but gradually has worsened in my eyes.

Enjoyable filler/10
Old 2007-07-30, 11:48   Link #170
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
Kind of agreed with Sorrow-K too. The anime tenchou segment is becoming rather tired now. It was okay at first but gradually has worsened in my eyes.
Yea I feel mostly the same about it...It was a very thin joke to begin with and its been stretched beyond the breaking point. Kindof reminds me of the L*C segment...For once in I don't know how long I genuinely enjoyed L*C and most of that I can attribute to them just moving to a different damn venue and doing something new.

I mean you can only stretch the gag of a bi-polar loli and a really square guy sitting at a news desk for so long before it gets old...heres to hoping they keep trying new things with it.

Only other really notable thing from the episode was the fact that it really made me want haruhi season 2 lol. Hell in fact just watching the cosplay segment has made me want to go back and rewatch season 1...Nice marketing ploy their kyoani.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2007-07-30, 16:40   Link #171
Calawain
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NibelungTaisa View Post
loved it...not sure if it has been mentioned yet or not but after watching this eps, i was wondering, if it does get licesed or not, how will they pull off this episode? especially where konata was switching back and foward from haruhi and back...as for the lots of haruhi references throught the series, i always thought that kyoani was doing it purposely to hint ppl that they are gonna do suzumiya season 2, just like how i felt with the clannad cameo's in kanon 2006, that they are gonna produce a clannad tv series...if i am right, then they might also be hinting somewhere in this episode (or another eps) about when suzumiya 2 will air
There are many many parts of this show that I have no idea how it could possibly be dubbed. However, there are some really smart people working at many of the American anime companies so who knows. I mean they are dubbing Air, and that was thought to be hard, same with Excel Saga. We shall see.
Old 2007-07-30, 16:58   Link #172
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I imagine AIR *IS* hard and I"m not really expecting more than an iffy job at conveying what is going on in that story in english but since I ordered vol 1 of AIR, we'll find out.

Lucky*Star will probably adapt reasonably well though some of the subtext and in-jokes will just flat be lost. But it depends, If you've seen the english release of Pani Poni Dash --- then you know that IF an anime distributing company really respects the material, they'll do a pretty good job of annotating all the content.
Old 2007-07-30, 17:00   Link #173
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
After reading about the haruhi stuff at the start of the thread I was kind of worried. Having seen the episode myself, it wasn't that bad at all, in fact I quite enjoyed that cosplay scene. It was a nice look at Konata at work I thought, and had some nice reactions from the characters particularly Kagami's changing expressions as Kaoru touched upon. Makes me glad I don't read manga before watching their anime adaptations as I'm sure I'd be tempted to compare them, complain about non-manga etc.. stuff like Vexx has been doing. Not sure I'd be quite as vocal about it mind you, but that's by the by.

I suppose it also helps that I don't really find the series particularly special. For me it's an enjoyable filler show (with some laughs) on the days I don't have much else to watch or do. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for the next episode. Somewhere between a 6 or a 7 out of 10 for the series if I were to give a rating but as people sometimes get jumped on for that I won't and usually don't vote.

Enjoyable filler/10
Beware! We will jump you~!
Haha, kidding of course.

Or am I?

Anyways, I seem to view this show differently than arkon.
If I don't get my weekly fix of Lucky Star, I become insatiable.

You're right about the Anime Tenchou segments though, like how Kimichi was right about the Lucky Channel segments. I enjoy watching the main characters interact, and the Anime Tenchou just gets in the way.

I actually liked the Haruhi references in this anime. It fit well with Konata's personality.
Old 2007-07-30, 17:35   Link #174
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldAlchemist View Post

I'm not surprised, not at all.

I'm gonna have to order, one of the reasons being for that wonderful cover.
Old 2007-07-31, 09:52   Link #175
Kritios

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Kamchatka Peninsula is part of the Russian far east. I don't think it's what he said either, because it really sounded like "KAMIZAKA" instead of "KAMUCHAKKA" (カムチャッカ). It sounds like Shiraishi is being impressed by Nanako's ability to read the minds of students who want to take a longer vacation by taking the time between April 29 and May 3rd off via "sick days". I thought the Kami part made sense, but I don't know what the rest mean. I have to do more digging but maybe we have to just take it as is.

EDIT: I thought I remembered this but I guess this is the only link I can find. The Kurile Islands is a chain of islands at the end of the Kamchatka Peninsula. This ownership of these islands is disputed among Japan and Russia. Many Japanese believed these are Japanese land and I guess that's how the word Kamchatka became an everyday word. I can see how some would use it some sort of patriotic battle cry, but I don't see how the anime scene is related to this territorial dispute tracing back to the Edo period.
No, it really is Kamchatka, and there's no need to overanalyze it. In the original manga, the punchline is "She knows how we think!" which is what you correctly assumed was the point of the scene. But since they intentionally changed it, they changed it to a non-sequitur/jibberish-type deal, i.e., Kumchatka. You can catch Shiraishi saying similar random jibberish in the Lucky Channel / next-ep previews.
Old 2007-07-31, 13:58   Link #176
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If you'll notice, these odd non-sequiturs are tending to be Russian-based:
Potemkin (Russian battleship)
Kamchatka (anyone who plays RISK should recognize that one).

"She knows how we think!" could also be translated colloquially as "She reads our minds!" ...

It reminds me of the Monty Python Schtick where someone would cry out "Burma!!" for no explicable reason whatsoever.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit:
Finally got to watch ep 16 (via a.f.k.). Have to say the VA work really appealed to me in this one. I love Patricia Martin's voice.... she sounds a lot like one of my son's fellow students (white lass 3rd year JP language with a fluttery high-pitched voice) who plans on majoring in asian studies and JETing in Japan. The VA seemed to capture that "not quite sure" stilted tone of voice.

Nanako continues to sound just very huggable with ragged kansai affectation. Minami managed to show she really wasn't Nagato-clone (despite the Kyon interjection in the end preview).
The Hiragii family is a hoot (loved the satisfied looks of the parents during the sukiyaki frenzy). Miyuki and Mom .... dad-san probably has to have regular heart checkups they're so cute.

The overload on Haruhi in the first five minutes.... (sigh, whatever). The moment in the concert where Kagami took pity on Kona was very precious. I will say the interchange of the Nagato-clone waitress and the Kyon-clone customer were funny. And Patricia Martin's gag line when Kagami asked about the "special drink of the house" was precisely timed for hilarity. Kagami's reaction is almost frame for frame what my wife looks like at some of the fan conventions we've gone to... but I note Kagami connects to the espirit de corp Patty and Kona have at the end of the dance.

But can we done with the Haruhi now? I'll happily watch SHnY 2 ... but I don't *want* chocolate in my peanut butter, thank you.

The Animate sequence was a loss... the horse is not only dead but beginning to splatter. I didn't even smile. yeah, yeah, whatever.

The LC/ED sequence was absolutely fantastic (resignation at the non-L*S of it). Akira's facial expressions are, to me, a lot of why animation can do things that no live-action measures up to.
Yay for Enka! and yay for Akira's VA getting live-action time in that enka video parody. I hear next week we get to see another of the VAs in a live-action ED.

Overall, gave it a "9" mostly because there was a good deal of what I consider the heart of Lucky*Star in the episode and at least the non-L*S was compressed into the front and the back.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-08-02 at 12:10.
Old 2007-08-02, 10:25   Link #177
Dop
Mmmm....

I enjoyed the cafe sequence.
The Kyon/Yuki bit was particularly well done, I thought, and while it was patently obvious that Patricia Martin dressed as Mikuru was going to do the 'kinsoku jikou desu' line it was still funny when it happened.

But what really made it were Kagami's looks of sheer horror at the spectacle going on around her, from the moment she opened the door to be greeted by Konata dressed as Haruhi. Now THAT was funny!

Oh, and I absolutely loved the live-action end sequence.
Old 2007-08-03, 09:31   Link #178
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I've just flipped around a few pages of the thread (btw, that's a hugely informative cultural references post AVPlaya, thanks!), and I'm surprised no one talked about the sly jab at foreigners near the end of the episode. I wonder if the crew at KyoAni are trying to tell us foreign viewers something, like, thanks for your support!

And I really really enjoyed the enka ED. The first thought that comes to my mind, omg, that sounds so much like a hokkien gua (Hokkien song)! Lol, a lot of the really popular evergreen oldies that I'd hear in local KTV lounges are in Hokkien you see....

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2007-08-03 at 09:54.
Old 2007-08-04, 13:07   Link #179
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I've just flipped around a few pages of the thread (btw, that's a hugely informative cultural references post AVPlaya, thanks!), and I'm surprised no one talked about the sly jab at foreigners near the end of the episode. I wonder if the crew at KyoAni are trying to tell us foreign viewers something, like, thanks for your support!
What jab was that?
IIRC Battle Programmer Shirase had a tongue-in-cheek thanks section in the last included people in other countries watching illegally on their computers.
Old 2007-08-07, 12:05   Link #180
f4bidnish40

Send a message via AIM to f4bidnish40 Send a message via Yahoo to f4bidnish40
Talking Perfect 10!

Aya Hirano switching voices between Kona-chan and HaruHaru <-- (Haruhi's nickname in the drama CD) was just GENIUS!! XD The chibi versions of of Yuki and Kyon were awesome as well.......... if only Yuko Goto voiced the "Asahina-san". "Classified Information!!" I love that line!

Who was the singer in the end?
Closed Thread