AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-08, 16:21   Link #1
Seiryuu

Looking for a special sort of triangle

What I'm looking for is, on the surface, a type-4 love triangle: guys A and C are both in love with girl B, and B is in love with C. However, what I'm looking for has a few differences. Of the two guys, one (the main character) is below average at best; he's weak, clumsy, short, has no self confidence, etc. The other has everything the first guy lacks; he's strong, tall, handsome, athletic, confident... The main character isn't in a relationship with B, has no hope to be in one, and knows all too well that she and the other guy are perfect for each other. However, whether he knows or not, he's the one in position C. And A has to deal with the fact that for all the things he has that C doesn't have, none of that matters since C is the one with B's heart.
Spoiler for two examples:
I don't mind if B winds up turning and falling for A, so long as there's a girl D somewhere to take her place as the ultimate heroine. I'd prefer one where B finally manages to get her feelings through and makes things work, or a continuing story that has a strong indication of this.

As with most of my requests, I don't significantly care whether it's anime or manga, licensed or unlicensed, or whether it's made for kids or restricted to adults.
Old 2012-04-09, 02:38   Link #2
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Naruto : There's a love square between Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke and Hinata. It fits nicely your requirements.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-04-09, 16:40   Link #3
Kirarakim

Perhaps not exactly but Maison Ikkoku fits a lot of your requirements
Old 2012-04-09, 17:24   Link #4
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I don't really think that Naruto could be considered a romance, even by far away, beside that it's hell long and focuses only on fights and action. Indeed there actually isn't any romance at all, but just Naruto's infatuation for Sakura, nothing more. I don't even recall any episode where Naruto does something romantically heroic for Sakura (and if he did, then he surely did the same thing for any other person he considers a friend, therefore nothing special).
Old 2012-04-09, 20:40   Link #5
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I'll second that.
Though in that guy A really thinks he has a chance and won't give up,it's just the reader/viewer that knows he has no chance.
Old 2012-04-09, 21:50   Link #6
Elegance

I third Maison Ikkoku
Old 2012-04-10, 08:58   Link #7
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Another one just came to mind

Otome Youkai Zakuro

Now in that girl be does start out by being in love with boy A but without realizing it boy C will win over her heart,but C won't be aware of it and still think that he's not "good enough".
Old 2012-04-10, 10:21   Link #8
Aqua Knight

Kimikiss Pure Rogue has a very complex love story.

Maybe add White Album to this.
Old 2012-04-11, 21:24   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Maison Ikkoku The best romance anime ever. Perfect fit for what you are asking for.

Some others that have a lot of those elements:

B Gata H Kei
Martian Successor Nadesico
Honey and Clover
(but character A is the Main character)

Those with some such elements:

H2
Full Metal Panic
Cross Game
Familiar of Zero
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Ah! My Goddess

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2012-04-13, 02:21   Link #10
donnajbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

I do not mind if B ends up turning and falling for any, as long as there is a girl D somewhere to consider her place because the ultimate heroine. I'd prefer one where B finally handles to obtain her feelings through and makes things work, or perhaps a ongoing story which has a strong indication of the.
Old 2012-04-21, 10:39   Link #11
Seiryuu

One of the biggest things for me is C's initial position and feelings, since he's the main character. In the items I mentioned at the start, C has been faced with a life where nothing works for him, and he can never be strong; C is full of insecurities and feelings of inferiority, and of course on some level a desperate desire to fight against the invisible shackles that hold him down, in any way possible. It's because of these feelings of inferiority and unworthiness that C is convinced B is in love with and/or belongs with someone else, someone like A. Of course, C isn't as weak or worthless as he believes; a story with a main character who is truly completely worthless doesn't work well, especially considering that B has legitimate reasons to truly love C.
Old 2012-04-21, 12:11   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Watch the first two episodes of Sakamichi no Apollon and see if it comes close to your requirements, although after episode two I can't say we know how many vertices there will eventually be on the polygon.
Old 2012-04-21, 12:39   Link #13
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Try Toki o Kakeru Shoujo and Macross Frontier.

I'm sure it'll mean your requirements
Old 2012-05-02, 06:01   Link #14
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deikan View Post
Try Toki o Kakeru Shoujo and Macross Frontier.

I'm sure it'll mean your requirements
I'll have to look at Frontier again. I seem to recall both characters fighting fiercely and refusing to give up on him. And I also don't recall B choosing either A or C. But then it's been a while since I saw it.
Old 2012-05-03, 21:05   Link #15
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
One of the biggest things for me is C's initial position and feelings, since he's the main character. In the items I mentioned at the start, C has been faced with a life where nothing works for him, and he can never be strong; C is full of insecurities and feelings of inferiority, and of course on some level a desperate desire to fight against the invisible shackles that hold him down, in any way possible. It's because of these feelings of inferiority and unworthiness that C is convinced B is in love with and/or belongs with someone else, someone like A. Of course, C isn't as weak or worthless as he believes; a story with a main character who is truly completely worthless doesn't work well, especially considering that B has legitimate reasons to truly love C.
Again... go watch Maison Ikkoku. It's what you are asking for.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Closed Thread