AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-03, 20:52   Link #241
Yuutsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
I mean what kind of parent just lets there 9 year old daughter go off on a journey without any explanation and just accepts it with a smile.
Pokemon. You're kicked out of the house at the tender age of ten to go enslave some animals which you force to engage in cockfights with other animal slave-drivers. Then you bring your 'fainted' pokemon to a nearby vet to cure them so you can do it all again.

God, Pokemon was so awesome. I've lost so many hours to Silver and FireRed...
Yuutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:05   Link #242
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
They didn't set it up even as if it really was going to be a serious battle at first to then reveal it really isn't all that serious or bad.
I thought that was what the whole army rally and war council were at the beginning.

Anyway, it just sounds like you're criticizing an anime for being unrealistic, which is as productive as me telling you that you should just accept it. If you have a problem with goofy premises and surrealism, this might not be the series for you.

In my opinion, considering how they reacted to the idea of injuring people, it makes sense that they'd need to find another method of competition. People say that sports emulate and fulfill people's desire for combat, after all.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:09   Link #243
AzureWrath

While I do find the series cute, and I had no problem with the episode, I really wonder where the plot will go? This doesn't seem to be on of those no-plot-slice-of-life stories. Is there an ominous cloud looming over the kingdom?

Kinda hope it stays light hearted, but there needs to be conflict of some bit to move forward.
AzureWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:12   Link #244
Midonin
Last Engage

The Nanoha team is a master at keeping things both plotted and light hearted. If they stick to their guns, I think the audience will be shedding tears of joy before this series is over.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:25   Link #245
Sekirei07

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I thought that was what the whole army rally and war council were at the beginning.

Anyway, it just sounds like you're criticizing an anime for being unrealistic, which is as productive as me telling you that you should just accept it. If you have a problem with goofy premises and surrealism, this might not be the series for you.

In my opinion, considering how they reacted to the idea of injuring people, it makes sense that they'd need to find another method of competition. People say that sports emulate and fulfill people's desire for combat, after all.
Hell no, one of my favorite series from the past season was Zombie, and it doesn't get more unrealistic than that. Although I was a bit disappointed that all the vampire ninja's doing a maid orchestra in the last fight, but since the series has thrown random crap all through it so it was still okay.

Here is how this first episode could have been a bit better I dare say. If when he was summoned had dropped smack dab in the very middle of the battle, didn't know what was going on so he thought everyone was really fighting (as we would have as well since we would not have known the truth) and it led up to him accidentally winning the contest without himself realizing it.

That, I think could have been a much better punchline while still keeping it lighthearted. Because it sets up the end to where you want to know more about whats going on the next episode. In reality the princess calmly explains it all to him in safety on the sidelines.
Old 2011-04-03, 21:38   Link #246
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Here is how this first episode could have been a bit better I dare say. If when he was summoned had dropped smack dab in the very middle of the battle, didn't know what was going on so he thought everyone was really fighting (as we would have as well since we would not have known the truth) and it led up to him accidentally winning the contest without himself realizing it.

That, I think could have been a much better punchline while still keeping it lighthearted. Because it sets up the end to where you want to know more about whats going on the next episode. In reality the princess calmly explains it all to him in safety on the sidelines.
Ah, if that's what you meant by tension, then what you're saying makes perfect sense to me. I thought you were saying there's no tension because it's a sport instead of an actual war. My bad.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:52   Link #247
Sekirei07

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Ah, if that's what you meant by tension, then what you're saying makes perfect sense to me. I thought you were saying there's no tension because it's a sport instead of an actual war. My bad.
Ah no no, don't mean that it has to be violent or bloody just cause its war. Just more whats the word... engaging with the audience. Make it so we have a similar mindset as the hero about the situation, or at the very least give a chance to make one speculate or use imagination as to whats going on or how things will go. If its all laid out for you before it even happens, its boring.

Presents are more exciting when you dont know the contents, movies are better when you don't know the ending, etc etc
Old 2011-04-03, 22:04   Link #248
chaos_animagic

Hmmm... this series reminds me of Zero no Tsukaima
Especially the beginning....
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 23:13   Link #249
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

Not sure what to make of it... think after gearing myself for some actual war thing like Utawarerumono kind of stopped me from taking it too seriously. Just need to switch into a more laid back mood and should be all good

Really would like one of those cat head cushions or whatever, reminds me of the Lucky Star one they showed in the intermissions. Also got a pretty good chuckle when he said he was Shinku from Cornwall, England.
liquidmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 23:25   Link #250
Sekirei07

They reminded me more of Angry Birds myself with the whole fighting thing lol
Old 2011-04-03, 23:35   Link #251
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Me thinks I'll watch this for the lulz(and Leonmichelle).
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 23:51   Link #252
Dr. Casey

best show of all time
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 00:38   Link #253
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Sounds like a plan! Pass the popcorn.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 00:45   Link #254
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Sounds like a plan! Pass the popcorn.
Such wise words!
Old 2011-04-04, 01:16   Link #255
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Its not a joke, jokes have punchlines, or build up something to then pull the rug out from under your or something. There is no punchline here, its the whole bases of that world. They didn't set it up even as if it really was going to be a serious battle at first to then reveal it really isn't all that serious or bad.
They did precisely that. That war council could have been the twin of any council of a kingdom on its last legs in a war of annihilation.

Quote:
It just seems like that dog picked the first athletic person it saw to be the hero. It didn't have any kind of destiny or fated feel. It seems almost anyone could have played the role with that setup.
I don't see why you insist on "fate", but I'll point out that the princess did say she knew about Shinku, so they at least did some research before picking their hero.

Quote:
Than again, thinking back on Nanoha's first season. They did pull out some things that didn't make any logical sense as well. I mean what kind of parent just lets there 9 year old daughter go off on a journey without any explanation and just accepts it with a smile. I mean no person would just be like "Where are you going? You can't tell me? It's important and you have to do it? Okay, leave however long you need to I won't question it"

I just feel that when you compare serious matters with light hearted matters, it is much easier to go from light hearted to serious than from serious to light hearted. Trying to make war look funny or easygoing is really hard to do, because if its not done well it just looks dumb. But Making lets say, dodgeball, into a "war-like" serious situation can be more entertaining because even if you can't take it serious, you can find it funny still because of how they try to make it serious. An anime example would be like Puella Madoka, taking the light hearted Magical Girl concept and giving it the serious dark tone of Faust has made it huge.

Hmm, but than again. I have to take Hetalia into account. Maybe its just hit and miss and I just think this is going to be a miss and not a hit
I think you refuse to take this anime on its own terms. It's not what you expected, not what you wanted, and you fault it for that.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 01:56   Link #256
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

*Reels something in from 2 pages back*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Expectation

Plot twist #1: Human girl becomes champion for the cats and ends up in a reverse harem situation. Sink and girl end up KiraArthruning each other for some time.

Plot twist #2: This entire war is a farce staged by some higher being, which was fine until another force comes and kills one of the characters (probably male unless Gen Urobochi was hiding somewhere). Sink gets to the bottom of it and puts an end to the farce.

Ending: The 'war' continues as a sport and everyone becomes Sink's harem.
If #1 happens (minus reverse harem, doubt it ), expect that human girl to be the same one that beat Shinku at the competition where he ended 2nd place...at least the one at 1st place looked like a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post
Hmmm... this series reminds me of Zero no Tsukaima
Especially the beginning....
MAR Heaven came to mind when I saw Shinku's reaction.

Last edited by FlameSparkZ; 2011-04-04 at 02:13.
FlameSparkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 03:12   Link #257
dragon132004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They did precisely that. That war council could have been the twin of any council of a kingdom on its last legs in a war of annihilation.

I don't see why you insist on "fate", but I'll point out that the princess did say she knew about Shinku, so they at least did some research before picking their hero.

I think you refuse to take this anime on its own terms. It's not what you expected, not what you wanted, and you fault it for that.

By the way guys... I've noticed many guys say its Dogs VS. Cats like that as a war setting but the truth is THEY ARE FIGHTING LIONS, the strongest species of cats. That's why the Dogs tribe can't win against them, beside guys, did you miss when they introduced Wakamoto Norio as one the Lion Knights general:

dragon132004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 04:00   Link #258
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I suppose Wolves versus Lions would've made a lot more sense...
Old 2011-04-04, 04:01   Link #259
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Stunning first episode, that's all I can say about it.

Borrows heavily from the Nanoha franchise, if you ask me, but I like what I saw.
Old 2011-04-04, 04:58   Link #260
tsunade666

first episode without looking at the synopsis or even visiting this thread. Just trying it because it looks fun but man.......... the war totally caught me off guard.

It's a takeshi's castle war.... great. It's fun really and it looks like it will never dwell into more emotional side just by the settings. So I will just wait for more fun to see and never get serious in the whole war thing.

Tags
ecchi, fantasy, harem, shonen