AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-09, 03:00   Link #341
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Well, reading about his "precedents" have shown that he was quite the tool, who was damaging the image of Euphonius.
Old 2012-09-10, 10:52   Link #342
Nico87

First volume of the Japanese BD/DVD release has been delayed for a month, in all likelihood related to the drama. Release was supposed to be 26/9 but has now been pushed back. Good choice in my opinion!
Old 2012-09-10, 19:56   Link #343
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

https://twitter.com/KITAxERI

KitaEri's twitter resumes.........
So you think?! Fool!
The staff is gonna be the ones to tweet!

................Iya, not interested...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2012-09-10, 22:33   Link #344
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The eff? What's the point of it then? In fact, this will be a greater danger to KitaEri's career.
One disgruntled staff member is all it takes.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2012-09-11, 01:03   Link #345
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
The eff? What's the point of it then? In fact, this will be a greater danger to KitaEri's career.
One disgruntled staff member is all it takes.
You realize plenty of Facebook pages of professional cosplayers or singers are maintained purely by their staff? It's actually quite common
Old 2012-09-11, 01:07   Link #346
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I know about that, but there's also a chance that the one handling the account would misuse the account intentionally or unintentionally.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2012-09-11, 03:18   Link #347
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
You realize plenty of Facebook pages of professional cosplayers or singers are maintained purely by their staff? It's actually quite common
I'm with SeijiSensei on this. Celebrities really should get over this idea that they have to be on "social media". No, they don't. Social media can hurt every bit as much as it can help, and if your Facebook/Twitter is maintained purely by staff members, people will figure it out in time, and then the celebrity loses any of the real benefits of having a Facebook/Twitter account anyway.

Some celebrities have the right personality for personally maintaining Facebook/Twitter and some don't. For those that don't, it's better to not bother with it at all, imo.
Old 2012-09-11, 11:33   Link #348
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've stayed away from this controversy up to now, because I think Kokoro Connect is the best show of this season (along with SAO). Of course, it is well above the emotional-intelligence level of a number of 2channelers, so they find it easy to boycott. It wasn't that popular before the incident.

I even feel a tiny bit sorry for the seiyuus who did the bullying, since they are pawns in the producer's hands, and haven't much choice except to go along. But my respect for Sugita has risen further.

Like other societies, Japanese society is both wonderful and awful. Status and power. In-groups. Bullying. Boycotting a good show. Victimising unrelated people like KitaEri. Just disgusting.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2012-09-11, 11:42   Link #349
stormtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I know about that, but there's also a chance that the one handling the account would misuse the account intentionally or unintentionally.
Unless the staff is well trusted, I don't see why he/she should misuse the account.
Old 2012-09-11, 12:00   Link #350
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

http://kokoro-connect.com/news/
Ijime Connect's special event on 9/30, but Eufonius' appearance has been cancelled.
Quote:
※eufoniusの出演は中止となりました。何卒ご了承くださいますよう宜しくお願い申し上げ ます。
Shoumonai ze!

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2012-09-11, 15:40   Link #351
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Like other societies, Japanese society is both wonderful and awful. Status and power. In-groups. Bullying. Boycotting a good show. Victimising unrelated people like KitaEri. Just disgusting.
While I agree with a lot of your points here I am at a loss what is disgusting about boycotting the series?

There is nothing wrong with the fans choosing how they spend their money. What would be a better way to show their displeasure about this incident. Should they just say they don't like it? That's not really going to do anything.

Granted I am not really sure how much a boycott will help in the long run but it's certainly showing the people involved in the incident that the fans care about what happened.

I also understand there are innocent people involved with the series who had nothing to do with this. However there are other people involved with the series who did have something to do with it. This is why the fans are not buying the series. In the end I think the fault lies with the people who tried to promote the series this way.
Old 2012-09-11, 16:09   Link #352
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
While I agree with a lot of your points here I am at a loss what is disgusting about boycotting the series? There is nothing wrong with the fans choosing how they spend their money. What would be a better way to show their displeasure about this incident. Should they just say they don't like it? That's not really going to do anything....
What they are doing is not helping whatsoever. In fact, it is just expanding the circle of blame and victimization, expanding the bullying.

Boycotting the series victimizes the staff and cast who did not take part in the original bullying. And it abandons good art based on the unrelated misdeeds of some of its producers. I actually find all of this disgusting, personally -- starting with the original bullying and going on to the boycotts and the usual silly 2channel self-satisfied pronouncements. Art has to be judged on its own, not on the basis of the unrelated deeds of its creators, and especially not the deeds of a small minority of them. I suspect we will find that the seiyuus take a hit, the mangaka takes a hit...and the producer who is the cause of it all just keeps merrily on.

Actually, to be honest, what frustrates me most is that this excellent show is not getting the viewership it deserves. There is so much dreck around, and one of the few shows that's worth watching gets this sort of treatment. More or less a tragedy, in my opinion, with a puerile producer and legions of puerile 2channelers winning out over good art.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-09-11 at 16:42.
Old 2012-09-11, 16:22   Link #353
Kirarakim

I actually agree with you that art should be judged separate from those who create it. But I think in this case the bullying incident was directly related to the promotion of the series, hence as a unfortunate as that is they are linked. It's not just people involved with the show did this but people involved with the show used it to promote the series.

From the few reviews I saw on Amazon Japan, people are acknowledging it's a good series but they don't want to support what happened. That makes sense to me. At least the producers know why it's not selling, and it's not because of the quality of the series.

For the record I personally think its not wrong to buy or boycott. I imagine someone who buys does so bc they like the series not because they support what happened. Just like I think someone who boycotts is doing so because of what happened not because they want to say the series is bad. Ultimately though it's up to the consumer.
Old 2012-09-11, 16:28   Link #354
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Actually, to be honest, what frustrates me most is that this excellent show is not getting the viewership it deserves.
It is getting the viewership. It just isn't getting as many sales as it would have.
Old 2012-09-11, 18:20   Link #355
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It shouldn't be lost in all this that Kokoro Connect was on track for very modest BD/DVD sales before any of this bullying stuff came up. If people are planning to blame poor sales (which will sadly be the reality, be it delayed by a month or not) on this incident, that isn't supported by what was being reported in terms of pre-sales, stalker points, etc. Those things aren't 100% accurate but they're generally fairly good predictors - within 10-15% either way - and Kokoro Connect was going to be South of the Manabi line even if the figures were off on the low side.

As for whether boycotting the series is justified or not, I'm torn on that (though not on boycotting the author and artist - that's just dumb). Fact is, the producer is the major name behind the anime - and he's apparently the ringleader of the bullying incident. And he's got a history of ugly behavior to boot. So if people want to make a statement of disapproval for Yamanaka, for me boycotting the series is a defensible choice. At the same time it does sadden me to see the people who weren't involved also suffer from a boycott, but the practical impact on them (the other seiyuu, the director, etc) is probably minimal - they've been paid, and the series was never going to get a second season anyway. It's not a black-and-white issue for me.
Old 2012-09-11, 18:37   Link #356
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
It is getting the viewership. It just isn't getting as many sales as it would have.
I hope that's true. Where can I find the figures? All I know is that BD/DVD sales were already poor and interest on 2channel was low -- before the incident.

As for who will suffer, I hope Guardian_Enzo is right, and the industry will penalize the producer rather than the cast or staff. But I have my doubts: if he is penalized, it will only be because the show didn't get viewers (before or after the incident), not because he is a jerk. But the seiyuus who were too easily led into this escapade are known to the public and will be tarred forever. In any case, as I said, I don't care to boycott a work of art because its author is a bad person. I think Bob Dylan is a selfish jerk, but also the greatest American singer-songwriter of the 20th century.

As I said, I feel a bit sorry for the three seiyuus (Mizushima, Terashima, and Oogame), since the low status of seiyuus means that they could hardly refuse to take part if the producer asked them to. Sugita, much as I approve of his reaction of shunning one of them on stage, has a name of his own and some ability to resist. Whereas the three involved are all at the low-to-mid level of the industry.

All I really want to say is that if anyone here has not watched the show, please do. You may like it.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-09-11 at 18:48.
Old 2012-09-11, 19:00   Link #357
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kaoru, just out of curiosity have you seen the video in question? I don't disagree that it would be hard for seiyuu to say no to Yamanaka is he wanted them involved. But I think you'd be hard-pressed to say those seiyuu were enjoying themselves, a whole lot more than decent folks really should have been.
Old 2012-09-11, 19:20   Link #358
Sumeragi
Banned

One thing I always consider: What people see second-hand never really conveys the feelings when seeing first-hand. Basically, "decent" folks here would be those who saw knowing the details from a secondary source. It's always difficult to apply that standard to first-hand, on-the-site people.
Old 2012-09-11, 19:38   Link #359
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Kaoru, just out of curiosity have you seen the video in question? I don't disagree that it would be hard for seiyuu to say no to Yamanaka is he wanted them involved. But I think you'd be hard-pressed to say those seiyuu were enjoying themselves, a whole lot more than decent folks really should have been.
Good point. I hadn't, but now I just watched the YouTube eight-minute version, and it actually didn't change my mind. They were acting like seiyuus at a staged event. I didn't sense much of their real feelings. And I was glad that Oogame Asuka wasn't really involved -- except for a brief embarrassed laugh. I haven't watched much Japanese TV, but I have seen things that were similarly embarrassing to this. To develop a real opinion, I'll have to find a longer clip, I guess.

This is still a terrible thing to do, but now I can at least see how the producer could have thought it was okay. I think somewhat similar things are not that unusual on Japanese TV. The bad thing here was that it aimed directly at Ichiki's professional pride. And at least they were offering him a gig, even if it was not what he hoped. Not that that excuses it, but it may have helped him feel a bit better. Seiyuus are poor. That's probably why the producer didn't treat him like a human being: an older guy of high status feeling he could do what he wanted with a young guy of low status.
Old 2012-09-11, 21:26   Link #360
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Heh, I had the exact opposite reaction - any thoughts I had about excusing this as a prank gone wrong were obliterated after watching the video. The whole thing seemed to be dripping with cruelty to me.
Closed Thread