AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-01-11, 18:12   Link #21
kobayashi_

Maison Ikkoku is well worth the 96 episodes. It's a timeless classic.
kobayashi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-11, 19:49   Link #22
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Yes. You must have more Cross Game.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-11, 21:34   Link #23
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Toradora
Kimi no Iru Machi

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 00:15   Link #24
Siphine
The Dreamer

Suprised nobody mentioned Golden Time. It's about three college students and just finished airing in May. It isn't finished yet but the last episode I think is satisfying for a season ender. There is quite a bit of drama too, and some comedy. Please try it out and tell us what you think please

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Siphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 00:34   Link #25
Duckinator

Why cross game though. I mean I understand the development is very good. The characters probably see each other in different light as the series progressed. But if the number of romantic/struggling scenes between them is too few, then I wouldn't feel like watching.

Spoiler for In case I spoil anythjng from toradora:

Is this realisation of love and not hatred, as well as the struggle to accept it due to circumstances clear in cross game?

As for karekano, according to wiki there was a change in director, due to the anime being more focus on comedy than romance. In this regard, is the anime worth watching, or should it just be read as a manga.
Duckinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 04:02   Link #26
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Watch KareKano until ep. 18, the read the manga.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 06:18   Link #27
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckinator View Post
Why cross game though. I mean I understand the development is very good. The characters probably see each other in different light as the series progressed. But if the number of romantic/struggling scenes between them is too few, then I wouldn't feel like watching.

Spoiler for In case I spoil anythjng from toradora:

Is this realisation of love and not hatred, as well as the struggle to accept it due to circumstances clear in cross game?

As for karekano, according to wiki there was a change in director, due to the anime being more focus on comedy than romance. In this regard, is the anime worth watching, or should it just be read as a manga.
Here's the thing with Cross Game... it's crystal clear as day on a planet without an atmosphere, but it is never ever said out loud nor completely and concretely acted upon. It's there if you're willing to make the effort to watch and peel away at the layers that admittedly takes a while as it is a 50 episode series. To say how, when or where would constitute massive spoilers, but a big part of the show's appeal is this very fact that it demands the viewers attention because it's there, but not in-your-face.

It requires some sort of effort, and to be sure, every single one of the show's fans and supporters on this board discovered that and never regretted it once. Mostly because most of us were whining how the next episode couldn't arrive faster than it did and helped people remember why Mitsuru Adachi if oft considered a legendary mangaka.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 10:33   Link #28
kitten320

While Cross Game is a good show, it does not fit with requirements.
OP is clearly searching for hardcore romance like Suzuka, White Album 2, Toradora and etc.

In Cross Game romance was not the main point. If anything it barely played any role until like mid of the series and even then it was very subtle.

It simply does not fit.
Old 2014-01-12, 15:50   Link #29
Duckinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
OP is clearly searching for hardcore romance like Suzuka, White Album 2, Toradora and etc.

In Cross Game romance was not the main point. If anything it barely played any role until like mid of the series and even then it was very subtle.

It simply does not fit.
Yep. I demand some kissing hugging or holding hands between the 2 main characters. There must be intimate scenes, enough to make an amv with. Don't get me wrong, I do like cross game's story. The character development is probably fantastic from what I read. But if for 50 episodes they are only going to have 1 scene where they hold hands or embrace, then I think its not what I'm looking for now.
Old 2014-01-13, 01:12   Link #30
ArrowSmith

White Album 2 does not have a happy ending!
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 14:47   Link #31
kitten320

Well it is not a bad ending either.
Old 2014-01-13, 22:26   Link #32
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post

It simply does not fit.
???

Romance is the primary point in Cross Game. It's a love triangle involving sisters. It's even lampshaded when one of the characters is looking at Touch and says that the authors works aren't really about baseball. It'd be be like claiming Pride & Prejudice is mainly about dancing instead of romance.

Romance in Cross Game is just repressed- like most passionate romances are in reality. It's more Pride & Prejudice style romance instead of Romeo & Juliet.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 22:51   Link #33
Siphine
The Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
???

Romance is the primary point in Cross Game. It's a love triangle involving sisters. It's even lampshaded when one of the characters is looking at Touch and says that the authors works aren't really about baseball. It'd be be like claiming Pride & Prejudice is mainly about dancing instead of romance.

Romance in Cross Game is just repressed- like most passionate romances are in reality. It's more Pride & Prejudice style romance instead of Romeo & Juliet.
A true fan of the series, if I ever saw one. He may be the one you may have to rely on since he knows the series best.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Siphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-14, 01:04   Link #34
Duckinator

Quote:
???

Well as you said the romance is repressed, which is exactly why I don't think it is for me. As I said from my earlier post, I demand some kissing, hugging, holding hands, crying, (basically sweet scenes/interactions) between the 2 main characters. There must enough of such scenes to make an amv with.
I'm just not certain that I will find such style of romance in Cross Game. If for 50 episodes they are only going to have 1 scene where they hold hands or embrace, then I think its not what I'm looking for now.

You could say that I like things if they are laid out clearly, such as in Suzuka where the guy and girl both know clearly that they liked each other, but something is in the way.
Old 2014-01-14, 11:13   Link #35
Arya

Despite Cross Game being one of my favorites, so I'd concur on suggesting it, surely I can also say that the key through which the romance is portrayed is far more subtle than your usual heavy romance anime. So I can understand Duckinator's reluctance. But I'm confident that he will watch it eventually
By the way, not a fan of Toradora so I can't say, but I don't remember many scenes that fit his requirements in Suzuka. Just only two IIRC.

Since True Tears has been already suggested and Duckinator is already watching it there's no need seconding it.
Instead on the contrary than CG, I'd insist suggesting White Album 2. Yes, you already know how it ends, but
Spoiler for just in case:

Probably you could try Peach Girl, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora and Gunparade March.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-14, 13:33   Link #36
Duckinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Despite Cross Game being one of my favorites, so I'd concur on suggesting it, surely I can also say that the key through which the romance is portrayed is far more subtle than your usual heavy romance anime. So I can understand Duckinator's reluctance. But I'm confident that he will watch it eventually
By the way, not a fan of Toradora so I can't say, but I don't remember many scenes that fit his requirements in Suzuka. Just only two IIRC.

Since True Tears has been already suggested and Duckinator is already watching it there's no need seconding it.
Instead on the contrary than CG, I'd insist suggesting White Album 2. Yes, you already know how it ends, but
Spoiler for just in case:

Probably you could try Peach Girl, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora and Gunparade March.
I feel bittersweet is not satisfactory for me. I'm just a sucker for a together forever ending, however corny it might be.

As for Suzuka:
Spoiler:

I watched Gunparade March twice. I really liked it a lot, and I was hoping that the show would be extended. I was wanting more from the show. Apparently there's a sequel to this series? Is it worth watching?

I have also looked up Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora before. I actually wanted to watch it 2 years ago, but I forgot about it. 6 episodes Thanks for reminding me!

As for Peach Girl, I really dislike the animation. Probably won't be watching it.

[Edit]

By the way, would Kaichou wa maid-sama be suitable for me?

Last edited by Duckinator; 2014-01-14 at 13:59.
Old 2014-01-14, 17:21   Link #37
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Quote:
Depends on how you like your male leads, Usui is more of a plot device than a fleshed out character, and his actions are remarkably stupid from early on, but the comedy is good, and there's also plenty of romance scenes and a semi-love triangle.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-14, 17:38   Link #38
Arya

Quote:
I feel bittersweet is not satisfactory for me. I'm just a sucker for a together forever ending, however corny it might be.
Oh well, I tried.

Quote:
As for Suzuka:
Spoiler:
Agree.

Quote:
I watched Gunparade March twice. I really liked it a lot, and I was hoping that the show would be extended. I was wanting more from the show. Apparently there's a sequel to this series? Is it worth watching?
I tried to watch Gunparade Orchestra, but I had difficulties in find it subbed and definitely the episodes I watched didn't give me the same vibes of the first one. It even has a different story with different cast, so it's completely something else. So I'd say it's not worth.

Quote:
I have also looked up Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora before. I actually wanted to watch it 2 years ago, but I forgot about it. 6 episodes Thanks for reminding me!

As for Peach Girl, I really dislike the animation. Probably won't be watching it.
Sora is short but I think it's worth watching. About Peach Girl I know it was a risky suggestion, it's more a roller coaster with highs and downs.

Quote:
[Edit]

All considered I'd say yes. it's a romance comedy that falls into that sub category like Ouran Koukou Host Club and Special A. I really liked the romance moments.

You could even give a try to Otome Youkai Zakuro, despite it fails probably in many of your requirements it has some very sweet moments.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-15, 18:23   Link #39
kitten320

Quote:
???

I honestly did not feel that romance there... at all. At least not until second half and even then it was extremely mild from Aoba's side. It was more of Ko/Akane.

If you were to ask me to name the most romantic scene of the series, I don't think I would be able to since there weren't really any.

Whole thing was basically:
Aoba: I hate you
Ko: Yeh, I know
Ko: Yeh I know
repeats 100 times over
Ko: Yeh I know
Holding hands this time

That's literally it for Ko/Aoba. While I won't deny that their relation did change over time but it was so slow paced that you don't really feel it. If anything I would say that those 2 always had a thing for each other. Aoba only admitted it after Ko threw that fast pitch and even then she still was denying it.
Old 2014-01-15, 22:43   Link #40
Duckinator

I think everyone would agree that both mc in cross game do have romantic feelings for each other. But because it is implied/inferred and not explicitly shown, I don't think it fits my bill for the romance portion.

Any further comments on maid sama? I'm willing to lift the fantasy criteria provided it is not shakugan or the familiar of zero type of 'childish' plot/animation. The romance must still be the main focus though like gunparade march. I heard spice and wolf is good. Anyone can give a quick description about the romantic part of it?

Last edited by Duckinator; 2014-01-15 at 23:36.