AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-08, 12:14   Link #3241
KNIGHTMAREGUNDAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
If prior practices count for something, its usually the blending of both aspects, series and movie. Usually this is more emphasized on the technical and graphical aspect of the verse in question, though.

- Tak
I can work with that.

I mainly ask this cause of a fanfic I'm working on. Guess I'll have to mix it up appropriately.

Question. Does anyone know which CD album to buy that will have all the music from the movie? Japan tends to make it difficult with making multiple albums of the same thing. Just that while one will have all the song in one disc, they make disc that only hold just one or two songs.

I know this because I actually bought those kinds of CD's thinking they'd have alot more song for what I'm paying for.
Old 2011-11-08, 13:02   Link #3242
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIGHTMAREGUNDAM View Post
Question. Does anyone know which CD album to buy that will have all the music from the movie?
It's titled 'Macross Frontier ~Sayonara no Tsubasa~ Netabare Album The End of Triangle'.
Old 2011-11-08, 13:06   Link #3243
darkplataform

My copy arrived today!

Q: Do you guys can spot a difference between the downloaded Raw and the original BD? If isn't necessary, i would prefer not to expose the disk to scratches. (I have the POPGO-FREEWIND rip)
Old 2011-11-08, 13:06   Link #3244
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's titled 'Macross Frontier ~Sayonara no Tsubasa~ Netabare Album The End of Triangle'.
Many people think Sayonara no Tsubasa is the real title for the 2nd movie, but not really.

マクロスF 恋離飛翼 ~サヨナラノツバサ~

is not Sayonara no Tsubasa/Wings of Goodbye.

Likewise, the first movie title:

マクロスF 虚空歌姫 〜イツワリノウタヒメ〜

is not Itsuwari no Utahime/The false songtress.

Gotta love their double-meaning wordplay

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2011-11-08 at 14:40.
Old 2011-11-08, 13:11   Link #3245
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

So what is it?
Old 2011-11-08, 14:26   Link #3246
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, you got me curious, too. Google Translate didn't help much...

Old 2011-11-08, 15:11   Link #3247
Tak

マクロスF 虚空歌姫 〜イツワリノウタヒメ〜

虚空 from 虚空歌姫 actually means empty. Its more precisely described in the case where one feels empty inside thus searching or doing what he/she can to fulfill that emptiness.

マクロスF 恋離飛翼 ~サヨナラノツバサ~

恋離飛翼 is more complicated as it is inspired by a number of Chinese phrases meaning love and/or the unbreakable bond between husband and wife. For example, two twigs on the same branch (連理之枝), two birds flying side by side (比翼之鳥). In this case, using a more literal translation, it means the lovers had been temporarily separated, but their wings will eventually bring them back together.

Take as what you will

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-11-08, 15:18   Link #3248
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well, I do like the implied meaning of the second movie's title. I like it very much.

Old 2011-11-08, 15:31   Link #3249
pikachuwei

^amen to that XD
Old 2011-11-08, 15:34   Link #3250
supernaps
old school actually.

Aha, well isn't the title really deep?
Like it.
Old 2011-11-08, 15:50   Link #3251
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Well, I do like the implied meaning of the second movie's title. I like it very much.
Indeed, i really like it. Kawamori deserves a pat on the back for that title.
Old 2011-11-08, 16:35   Link #3252
magnuskn

Yeah, very nice.
Old 2011-11-08, 16:39   Link #3253
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
マクロスF 恋離飛翼 ~サヨナラノツバサ~

恋離飛翼 is more complicated as it is inspired by a number of Chinese phrases meaning love and/or the unbreakable bond between husband and wife. For example, two twigs on the same branch (連理之枝), two birds flying side by side (比翼之鳥). In this case, using a more literal translation, it means the lovers had been temporarily separated, but their wings will eventually bring them back together.

Take as what you will

- Tak
There is actually a Japanese compound that it is related to, which means 'marital vows', though I very much like your interpretation of what it means. Here's a bit of the discussion about it in an interview in the Sheryl manga (vol.3):

Quote:
(Editor): From the subtitle, “[~the wings of love’s separation]” [「恋離飛翼」= ren-ri-hi-yoku] I got the image of “marital vows” [「比翼連理」= hi-yoku-ren-ri], the phrase that gives us the meaning of “two as one”.

Kawamori: Besides “two as one”, those two (things) are not things that are similar, but rather there is a sense that they are of different natures. To be precise, we could say they are “three things of (three) different natures”. When [beings] that are completely different meet, something new is born – something like that. From the start, all Macross works are permeated by this theme of overcoming culture shock, overcoming the culture gap, and giving birth to something new.

Koyama: Sheryl and Ranka, Alto. Woman and man…that kind of meeting?

Kawamori: That’s one of them. The film was constructed so that you can figure out the outline from your first viewing, but those kinds of meanings are doubly or triply loaded into it. *snip
I'll be posting more of this interview another time...but whilst I'm at it...

====

Here's Endo Aya, Nakamura Yuuichi and Nakajima Megumi, in their joint interview
Sayonara no Tsubasa "Official Complete Book", p.54-57

Disclaimer/notes:
sometimes, translating Japanese really frustrates me, because there are so many things you could read in more than one way. The parts where I’ve put in a fair amount of interpretation are marked in [square brackets]. Hopefully, it’s generally accurate otherwise – but if anyone spots any mistakes, please let me know!
——karice

Spoiler for length:

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-11-10 at 04:46.
Old 2011-11-08, 18:20   Link #3254
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Wow, that was great. Thanks, karice. Still need time for it all to sink in, tho...

Old 2011-11-08, 18:32   Link #3255
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Endo: For me as well, it’s become something that will be with me for life. Sheryl’s something that May’n and I created together, and she became a really profound character, someone that I feel really exists somewhere. I still want to see her in action again, to meet her once again
Yeah, I feel pretty much the same.

Wow, Nakamura really is kind of a jerk. Although I agree with him about what was the best Alto scene of the movie. I feel he is wrong on the account of series Alto not being able to express himself the same way, if he would have been put in a similar situation.

And many thanks to you, karice, for this excellent translation!
Old 2011-11-08, 19:09   Link #3256
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
Quote:
Nakamura: At the recording, I finished the line properly, and left the final decisions in the hands of the director. When we actually go to see the completed film, it was like “ah, so this is how much they could hear.”
I think Nakamura saying that he said/finished the confession in full was a bit surprising. I wish we could have heard it in full too.

Quote:
Frankly speaking, what are your thoughts after seeing it through to the credits?

Nakamura: In the end, I think it’s a finale where its fine if each viewer comes up with his/her own interpretation. If you’re asking for what I think…that’s a secret. They’ve gone to great pains to make sure everyone can take it the way they want, so I think it’d be wrong to talk about it here, where it might be taken for an official comment.
Damn, I really wanted to hear his take on it too :<

Thank you, so much Karice for translating!
Old 2011-11-08, 19:11   Link #3257
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Thank you for the interview, Karice. I know how much effort and work and plain FRUSTRATION these things are, so BRAVO!!

Quote:
Endo: I think Sheryl felt really frustrated, having to be told off so directly by Ranka like that. But even then, it was a shock when she put herself down, “because I’m going to die”. Even her line about liking Alto was said as it if were an old emotion – rather than giving up, it’s like she had thrown it away. That’s really unlike her – it was a Sheryl I really didn’t want to see. The prison also felt horrifyingly real (to me), [it would be terribly dark for Sheryl to have to live out the last of her days there.]*

*this is what I think Endo means – the grammar seems to imply something that just didn’t make sense to me. If Tak or Yot-chan, or anyone else could check it, that’ll be great. ——karice
I think you're pretty much right...personally, I'd just add that she seems to be emphasizing that it would be incredibly dark for THIS Sheryl (i.e. the Sheryl who had thrown her emotion away) to stay in the prison, a world without light. But yeah...that doesn't really alter the meaning much, does it?
Old 2011-11-08, 19:14   Link #3258
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i like the deeper meaning of the name of the second movie. affirmation of correct ship

Karice, thanks for that interview.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-11-08, 19:34   Link #3259
Tak

Thanks Karice, for picking up my slack and allowing lil' ol' me to remain LAZY...

- Tak

Old 2011-11-08, 20:09   Link #3260
sa547
*Author

That was EPIC, Karice.

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song