AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-16, 09:24   Link #21
ParasolPop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
You can't compare them really. It's because Gyakuten Saiban builds it's cases on logic and real world rules...
Spoiler for spoiler on Phoenix Wright series:

Aanyway, you can't compare them really, and I'm a fan of both series.
That final arc in the third game even had the judge saying, "even I can't believe this".
Old 2009-07-22, 14:24   Link #22
Bern-chan
Not Rika Furude

Send a message via MSN to Bern-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by June 1983 View Post
Eh, I wouldn't want to compare them. They are very different types of games, really. GS isn't really meant to be taken too seriously, it is just silly fun. And it has more gameplay elements to it, while Umineko of course is all about sitting back and watching it unfold, so the experiences are completely different. The GS games are masterpieces in their own way.
Completely agreed. GS can swing from light hearted to OH EM GEE DOUBLE-YU TEE EFF really well. It's like trying to compare Umineko to err... Harry Potter. Idk. xD

Spoiler for Trying not to make it specific:
Old 2009-07-22, 14:46   Link #23
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-chan View Post
Spoiler for Trying not to make it specific:
Actually, since I'm almost completely anti-fantasy:

Spoiler for anti-fantasy:

..but bringing this back on topic: I definately agree that Battler seems to have been inspired somewhat by Phoenix Wright. If that's not the case, it's a whole lot of weird coincidences that I don't mind since I love both franchises.

Do you guys think Battler is being protrayed correctly in the anime? I was a little worried at first with all the breast-related jokes in the first episode, but he seems on track now, especially with his "dame da" lines.
Old 2009-07-22, 14:48   Link #24
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelii View Post
Actually, since I'm almost completely anti-fantasy:

Spoiler for anti-fantasy:

..but bringing this back on topic: I definately agree that Battler seems to have been inspired somewhat by Phoenix Wright. If that's not the case, it's a whole lot of weird coincidences that I don't mind since I love both franchises.
I don't see how one can be inspired by the other... besides the finger pointing, what's so similar about them?

Old 2009-07-22, 15:25   Link #25
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maho Momo View Post
I don't see how one can be inspired by the other... besides the finger pointing, what's so similar about them?
The character designs + finger pointing, the motivation for the characters (Battler wishes to deny the witch above all else, Phoenix wishes to discover the truth above all else), both defend against an onslaught of falsehood and try to determine the truth hidden in the lies, "turning the case on it's head" is much like "turning around the chessboard," both games have "Episodes".. I could probably think of some more if I wasn't just about to leave for a job interview

I'm not trying to say that someone copied anyone, it just seems like there is some inspiration/homage behind Battler's character. Or it's just a coincidence. ┐(´ー`)┌
Old 2009-07-22, 15:29   Link #26
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
The character designs + finger pointing, the motivation for the characters (Battler wishes to deny the witch above all else, Phoenix wishes to discover the truth above all else), both defend against an onslaught of falsehood and try to determine the truth hidden in the lies, "turning the case on it's head" is much like "turning around the chessboard," both games have "Episodes".. I could probably think of some more if I wasn't just about to leave for a job interview

I'm not trying to say that someone copied anyone, it just seems like there is some inspiration/homage behind Battler's character. Or it's just a coincidence. ┐(´ー`)┌
But... lots of anime/game characters wear suits, have spikey hair, point their fingers, and fight for something they strongly believe in.
To me, they have almost completely different personalities, and the situations they're put in are pretty different too (minus the whole murder around them thing, but that's used in most mysteries).

I can't deny that the finger pointing is almost like a homage, but that's about it.

Old 2009-07-22, 15:32   Link #27
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maho Momo View Post
But... lots of anime/game characters wear suits, have spikey hair, point their fingers, and fight for something they strongly believe in.

I can't deny that the finger pointing is almost like a homage, but that's about it.
I'm actually only familiar with Phoenix and Battler filling that archetype, but if you know of others, I'd be happy to learn. It would be irresponsible of me to be claiming what I am if there are more examples out there. (Not trying to challenge you, I'm genuinely interested to find out who else there is. As I said, I'm only familiar with the two.)
Old 2009-07-22, 15:45   Link #28
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
I'm actually only familiar with Phoenix and Battler filling that archetype, but if you know of others, I'd be happy to learn. It would be irresponsible of me to be claiming what I am if there are more examples out there. (Not trying to challenge you, I'm genuinely interested to find out who else there is. As I said, I'm only familiar with the two.)
I probably should've said "or" instead of "and"...
I just meant that all of the things you pointed out could be attributes of a lot of characters. Nothing super special (other than maybe the pointing thing) stands out, like how in Higurashi Chie was an obvious parody character of Tsukihime's Ciel. That was a much more blatant example though.

I just wouldn't have used those qualities as anything that seems to point out inspiration. Battler and Phoenix have two totally different personalities and situations to me, and when it comes to character design, the only thing they share is spiky hair (which MANY MANY anime characters have, the style is even completely different) and a suit (which a lot of men wear in real life and anime, also the occasion seems to call for it this time). Their passion to do what they believe in is what drives the story to continue, much like with many other stories.

That's all I was trying to say.

Old 2009-07-22, 18:30   Link #29
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

It's honestly just the Objection pose. There would have been much less comparisons to Phoenix if Battler never performed the infamous Objection pose.

Quote:
Do you guys think Battler is being protrayed correctly in the anime? I was a little worried at first with all the breast-related jokes in the first episode, but he seems on track now, especially with his "dame da" lines.
I'm not an VN player, but I can say that Battler's personality is a mixed bag. He's goofy, but it also seems like he's a little too cocky for his own good. I'm suspecting that his cockiness might get him into a pickle later on in the series.
Old 2009-08-27, 19:13   Link #30
Animefanaticka
Attorney at Law

Dude, Battler Ushiromiya=Pheonix Wright. XD He's Got The WHole 'Objection' Thing Down! xD I Love Them Both. But Besides That, Their like, Total opposites!
Old 2009-08-28, 02:06   Link #31
Arbane the Terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
I'm suspecting that his cockiness might get him into a pickle later on in the series.
He's already dead. How can his situation possibly get any worse?

...Oh, yeah. Beatrice. Never mind...
Old 2009-08-31, 16:56   Link #32
Animefanaticka
Attorney at Law

Let's turn the chessboard on this character!
If we look at this from an opponents view, you can't not like battler, unless, You don't like thinking? Haha, I dunno.

Battler <3
Old 2009-08-31, 17:32   Link #33
LuckySovietStar

I like Battler. Also, I like his name, tough when I was first reading about Umineko, thing that made me "bleh won't read it until sure it will be super good" was his name . But now, hey, this sure sounds cool. Also, in my country, there was a person whose name sounds pretty close to Battler's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen...hory_of_Poland
But, also, in anime, his catchphrase sounds brilliant. Tough I don't like his anime look; well build body (hey, he ordered some weird medicine for muscle growth!) is last thing I would think looking at him, he looks no stronger that Kanon .
And I love his objection thing. I'm a fan of Ace Attorney franchise, and I like them both (still, Godot is my favorite character so far), tough they are not all that similar. When Battler says things out and loud, Wright is making snarky comments only in his head, that coward---erm, that one smart man . But certainly, they both are stubborn, don't like defeat, and most striking part is how Wright looks at his clients-just like Battler was is looking at his family members, THERE IS NO WAY THAT THEY MURDERED SOMEONE AND I CAN PROVE IT!
Old 2009-08-31, 17:39   Link #34
Miraluka
Banned

Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-31, 17:56   Link #35
LuckySovietStar

Spoiler for to above:

Spoiler for only for these, who played Trials and Tribulations, AND FREAKIN ENDED LAST CASE:

Anyone thinks that Battler would looks better with more powerful body, or I'm the only one complaining? I mean, he don't look weak, but still, he was like warhammerish orc in these 6 years, aiming to be BIGGA AND STRONGA!

Last edited by LuckySovietStar; 2009-11-01 at 18:04.
Old 2009-08-31, 17:59   Link #36
Volcanic
fire of fires

Okay, the last two posts were filled with Game Spoilers, and this is a spoiler-free thread.

Could one of the mods edit\remove them?

Last edited by Volcanic; 2009-08-31 at 18:30.
Old 2009-08-31, 18:30   Link #37
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

The spoilers are from episodes already covered by the anime though. Battler's body type was described in EP1, and so was his mention of muscle growth "medicine". O.o;

The only other things in the posts are a theory and a made up scenario featuring a PW character. O.o;

Besides, those details aren't really spoilerish anyway... they are just describing his body, which should be known anyway.

Old 2009-08-31, 20:18   Link #38
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

@LuckySovietStar: That Phoenix WrightxUmineko crossever is the epitome of brilliance, I give you kudos sir.
Old 2009-10-02, 16:20   Link #39
libba
nepenthes rajah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySovietStar View Post
Tough I don't like his anime look; well build body (hey, he ordered some weird medicine for muscle growth!) is last thing I would think looking at him, he looks no stronger that Kanon .
I got that "well-built" impression from the anime, I remember looking at him and thinking, here we have the rarely-seen athletic type (not unlike Naruto, heh). Whereas Kanon is a frail and beautiful bishounen type and George is Harry Potter.
Old 2009-10-03, 02:24   Link #40
Blazemaker

Send a message via MSN to Blazemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by libba View Post
I got that "well-built" impression from the anime, I remember looking at him and thinking, here we have the rarely-seen athletic type (not unlike Naruto, heh). Whereas Kanon is a frail and beautiful bishounen type and George is Harry Potter.
Battler is meant to be really tall and midly strong..... at least his design adaptation wasnt as bad as george's.
George should be the overweighted smart and gentle cousin, shame on deen.
Closed Thread