AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-06-24, 11:56   Link #1
Solafighter
Hige

Looking for a motherboard

Due some circumstances, my current motherboard left me in disappear and died. Now, im looking for a new motherboard, that is compatible with all my components. Last friday, one i ordered arrived, so i put it in properly. The pc does not boot. What i figured out is, that the pc only boots, if 2 out of 4 ram components are installed. In the end, i noticed, that the motherboard only provides 1.8 V, but my ram components need 2.1 V. So, i cant get it working with 8 gb(need all my 8 gig, not stastified with 4).

I hope, that someone can help me to get some good suggestions, what motherboard i shall buy.

My old one was a Gigabyte x48 dq6(info), so the specifications should be basicly the same or compatible.
My components are
  • dual core (infos)
  • PCI Express graphic card
  • 4 x 2 GB ram (Crosair - all 4 are the very same - 1066 mhz - 2.1 V)
  • Sockel 775

The one i bought recently, which is not working is the ASUS P5QL-EM - Motherboard - Mikro-ATX(info).

Thanks a lot for all tips and suggestions in advance.
Old 2012-06-24, 12:12   Link #2
sa547
*Author

You can still try to return the defective board as it should be under warranty (possibly damaged during shipment), or ask that you exchange it for an equivalent board (say, either an ASUS, MSI or ASRock -- all competent brands).

By experience the aforementioned parts should work well with the new board and within spec.
Old 2012-06-24, 12:24   Link #3
Solafighter
Hige

Thats what i also thought.

If i place all 4 ram components into the motherboard, you can hear the pc working and beeping(beeping code is 2 short 1 long[that would tell you to check your graphic card connection]) but the pc is not showing anything on screen or somewhere else.

If i place only two into them(and that not in dual channel), the pc boots like usual and i can enter Windows. I tried to increase the voltage for the ram from 1.8 to 2.1V. Didnt help. Or do i have to adjust something in bios to make dual channel possible? That would be new to me.
Old 2012-06-24, 14:07   Link #4
Solafighter
Hige

Hm, someone maybe has another suggestion about a Motherboard?
I will also take a look but I want to double and triple check it to make sure, that it works without any problems.
Old 2012-06-24, 14:09   Link #5
sa547
*Author

Generally, at the board manufacturer's site, and matched up with a specific board model you can look up at a list what types and brands of memory that are considered compatible.

Since you mentioned about voltages, some boards can allow for voltage adjustment from the BIOS, but others require you to carefully tweak with the jumpers to match the correct voltage.
Old 2012-06-24, 16:06   Link #6
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Your CPU is three generations out of date. I'd try looking on Craigslist and eBay. You might find a really good deal for a C2D motherboard.
Old 2012-06-24, 19:17   Link #7
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I used to have the same CPU as you and I'll tell you this. It is hard to find a replacement motherboard for old Intel CPUs as their tech is not made for backward or forward compatibility.

As synaesthetic stated, your best place is try Ebay or Craiglist to find a compatible motherboard for your CPU.
Old 2012-06-24, 23:51   Link #8
Solafighter
Hige

I never had problems with the CPU. The dual core runs fine. I'm having a problem with the ram components.
Old 2012-06-25, 17:47   Link #9
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Have you tried sticking some other sticks of ram into your PC to see it that solves your problem? I might be that two or one of your ram sticks might have become defective.
Old 2012-06-25, 18:28   Link #10
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Here is a pearl of wisdom (if it applies to your motherboad), check ALL the capacitors (this cilinders that have an X at the top), if the top is NOT uniformly flat at the top then the capacitor is botched and if you replace it(them) your motherboard will word again. I know this is true because I did it, the only downside is that you need special tools and skills to change the capacitors, I identified them, bought them (it was a pain to get to the store, since nowadays people do not repair, they dump electric equipment that can be repaired, therefore stores that sell this generic supplies have dwindled), went to a technician and paid him to change the capacitors, buy one or two extras since there is the posibility that a few will be defective (but they are so cheap it does not amount to much).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 21:00   Link #11
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
You can order desoldering equipment from somewhere as mundane as Amazon. Desoldering through-hole electrolytic capacitors from a PCB is a joke anyway. If you decide to replace blown caps yourself make sure you get the same voltage rating or better, otherwise they'll just pop again.

I've replaced caps to fix PC motherboards before, not a real big deal. Just remember that modern motherboards are multi-layer (don't flex or put a lot of pressure on them) and that many of the board-level components are heat-sensitive (don't hold the soldering or desoldering iron on for very long if you mess up).
Old 2012-06-28, 07:51   Link #12
sarnagon
Dreamer of Happiness

What is the type of the memory DDR2 or DDR3, if you don't know how to know, you can use speccy (http://www.piriform.com/speccy)

If you have DD3 memory, I suggest this motherboard: http://nl.msi.com/product/mb/G41M-P28.html (G41M-P28)

2.1V Voltage is always better if the ram need it. (if it's write in the description of the memory, how many Volt you need to configure) because the memory is more stable. Never run the memory under the (1,8V)(or what the description say) it's decreased your performance.

Last edited by sarnagon; 2012-06-28 at 08:08.
sarnagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 08:47   Link #13
Solafighter
Hige

I got rid of my problem. I ordered the very same Motherboard, I had before. should arrive today or tomorow.

Thanks for all tips and advice. .