AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2007-04-14, 21:01   Link #321
xxmimixx
♥Sebastian's new wife♥
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to xxmimixx Send a message via Yahoo to xxmimixx
I just finished the book called 'Red Midnight" by ben something =/. I forgot his last name though XD.
Old 2007-04-16, 00:05   Link #322
Sparkie
キーウィ

Send a message via MSN to Sparkie
Extremely loud & incredibly close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I love that book. Written in a pretty weird way, but a very good story.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 22:39   Link #323
ibreatheanime

I know it sounds rather lame but I am reading Emma by Jane Austen.
ibreatheanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 11:14   Link #324
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I'm reading Rough Magicke by Dr. John William Houghton, who is, by the way, my AP English teacher. He'll be leaving our school this year to become an on-campus clergyman. Or something like that. Either way, it doesn't matter to me much since I'm a senior and I'll be leaving this year anyway.

Anyway, the book is actually comprised of smaller three novelettes, and if you know anything about Shakespeare, you should recognize the title as part of a significant quote from one of his works. 100 points if you can guess the work.

You can check out his book on Amazon.com. So far he has 1 review.
Actually, it has quite an in-depth review by some professor from Austin, Texas, USA.

Rough Magicke by Dr. John W. Houghton

I have a copy, and I must say that his portrait on the back is funny, and looks just like him. The black golfer's hat is especially comical looking. Nowadays, he's wearing the white collar as a member of the clergy. He says that he'll stop wearing it "when it stops feeling like a Halloween costume". Lol.

The book overall is witty, yet confusing at times, if you're not familiar with Old English phrases and the like. It's got some good one-liners, some said by the reviewer, but I personally like the plethora of just plain weirdness when compared with most novels I've read.
Old 2007-04-19, 11:39   Link #325
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

THe Dirt - Motley Crue (well they didn't write it, I'm pretty sure their brains are fried from all the "naughty" stuff they did) Hilarious, shocking, very ecchi and very sad as well.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 11:47   Link #326
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Anyway, the book is actually comprised of smaller three novelettes, and if you know anything about Shakespeare, you should recognize the title as part of a significant quote from one of his works. 100 points if you can guess the work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard
But this rough Magicke
I heere abiure: and when I haue requir'd
Some heauenly Musicke (which euen now I do)
To worke mine end vpon their Sences, that
This Ayrie-charme is for, I'le breake my staffe,
Bury it certaine fadomes in the earth,
And deeper then did euer Plummet sound
Ile drowne my booke.
Do people not have to read the Tempest any more?

EDIT: That is very cool about your AP teacher, though. I'll have to see if I can pick up a copy of the book.
Old 2007-04-19, 14:39   Link #327
shoggoth80

I've read volumes 1-4 of Akira, while not a book in the average sense of the word, they are rather beefy for gaphic novels, and kick very much ass.

Last book series I tore through was the Resident Evil novels. Pretty good for what they are. Not a challenging read mind you, but they keep you hooked.

Recently read Sellswords Vol.2 (Forgotten Realms), and Darth Bane (Star Wars). I am waiting for Sellswords Vol.3 to be released as a paperback, and there is a new Dizzt novel coming out in the relative future I'm really wanting (have a spoiler chapter).
shoggoth80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 14:52   Link #328
#ASprek8#

I'm reading The Man Who Counted by Malba Tahan.
#ASprek8# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 17:09   Link #329
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Since the last time I posted in this thread, I've read Empire by Orson Scott Card, Thud! by Terry Pratchett, and am reading a collection of short stories.

I have no idea why I continue to read Pratchett -- something about his writing style leaves me confused while I'm reading it, but it somehow all works out in the end.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 20:17   Link #330
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Currently reading Deep Dream or whatever it's called in English, by Banana Yoshimoto. This is my first contact with serious Japanese literature, and I'm kind of enjoying it for the moment. Feels to me like those beautiful, beautiful first-person narrations we often see in melancholic scenes in anime. The only pity is that it's a Spanish translation, so it doesn't carry the feeling of a Japanese female voice softly narrating through the scenes...

For university, I'll soon have to read Paul Auster's Moon Palace, and David Lodge's Therapy.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 04:45   Link #331
issei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
Extremely loud & incredibly close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I love that book. Written in a pretty weird way, but a very good story.
i want to second this recommendation. in a way, it develops some thematic and structural elements from his first novel, everything is illuminated (much, much better than the movie, which was itself decent), but it's also a totally different beast, connecting 9/11 with the holocaust and world war 2 in powerful ways.

the narrator, a precocious nine-year-old kid living in new york, has an imaginative tone and unique logic that really propels the novel.

i had to read it in one sitting. a lot of stuff i've read recently has demanded that kind of attention, too: david mitchell's number9dream and ghostwritten, in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight
Currently reading Deep Dream or whatever it's called in English, by Banana Yoshimoto. This is my first contact with serious Japanese literature, and I'm kind of enjoying it for the moment.
banana yoshimoto has a certain kind of refreshing approach to writing. if you're interested in something a little more intense, i suggest ryu murakami's works: 69 for levity/coming-of-age and coin locker babies for an edgier novel that has tones of magical realism.
Old 2007-04-22, 22:33   Link #332
guess

Is this the place to ask for recommendations for books because I don't see a thread about it?

I would like to have books about how the world's civilization, economics, technology etc is going these days, anazlysis for the near future, and/or predictions of the future. Nope, not science fictions but a realistic situation.

It doesn't have to be all in one book. This is what I can think of so far. If this is not the thread for it, please move it. I can't find a thread about this subject with search function.
Old 2007-04-22, 23:25   Link #333
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Just finished Blow Fly by Patricia Cornwell. This is the second book of hers I've read and thoroughly enjoyed. She is an amazing analyst when it comes to details of homicide. It would not surprise me in the slightest if she was a murderer herself. Seriously lol.

Anyone who is into tales such as, Silence of the Lambs or Jack the Ripper type stuff should most certainly check her out.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 04:05   Link #334
spirits having flown

Last Book Read: For One More Day by Mitch Albom

Currently Reading: Controversy Turns Into Cash by Eric Bischoff (out of curiosity)
spirits having flown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 04:14   Link #335
Nergol

I just reread my favorite novel of all time: The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Bitter, yet hopeful; an odd but deep profession of faith in times that are punishing to the human soul.

It's one of those books you either get or you don't. A lot of people don't.

Currently chewing on: The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton

Next in line: Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Anyone who's a true Japanophile should read Junichiro Tanizaki's "In Praise Of Shadows" - a profoundly sad book, but one that will change your whole aesthetic sense, if you read it right.

The funniest and most fun book I've read all year: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Toole. Do yourself a favor and buy it - you won't regret it.
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 04:15   Link #336
Nergol

Sparkie;

Have you seen the movie version of Foer's "Everything Is Illuminated"? Excellent film - funny and touching. Elijah Wood turns in a blockbuster performance.
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 12:02   Link #337
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
Do people not have to read the Tempest any more?

EDIT: That is very cool about your AP teacher, though. I'll have to see if I can pick up a copy of the book.
Hey, I'm impressed that you knew that! Not many people read Shakespeare unless its for school.

Unless you Googled it...
Old 2007-04-23, 23:00   Link #338
WhiteWings

Just finished 'Diablo : The Sin War - Book Two: Scales of the Serpent' and 'Blowback : The Costs and Consequences of American Empire' and 'Schindler's List' over the last few days.
Old 2007-04-24, 22:58   Link #339
ibreatheanime

I am reading "Roots" but for an assignment, I read the book a couple of years ago of my own will, however reading it again is rather dull. Its a good book, but its a bit too long.

Also I don't like rereading books agian with two exceptions.
1. If I didn't understand the book the first time I read it. (for ex. I read little women when I was in third grade, then reread it in 6th and I understood it more, and enjoyed it)
2. Childrens books. ( I could read one fish two fish red fish blue fish over and over again)
ibreatheanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 01:07   Link #340
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This is typical of me, but I just finished reading Senator Barack Obama's Semi-Biography The Audacity of Hope. He seems to have the right ideas for what America should look like and his willingness to comprise goes well beyond the impression I get from most politicians and seems genuine (and I'm a pretty good judge of character when it comes to politician's. No single line tripped by Bullshit alarm) The real question is whether he will be able to put things into action if he get's the nomination and the vote. He may be willing to comprise, but the environment in Washington is so stiflingly partisan that it doesn't mean the other's will be so willing. Though come 2008 things will automatically be better without the Bush Adminstration. There are a lot of good people in both parties, but I can't think of a single decent person in the Executive branch at this point. When Condoleeza Rice comes across as the most genuine personality in the White House and even she was caught lying to congress, you've got a bit of a credibility problem.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books