AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-09, 20:46   Link #61
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Underrated is right. The thing is, what can you talk about with a series like this, without going to eventual Touhou comparisons? :P (FLIPFLOPS! One of my favorite Touhou doujin groups)
Old 2011-08-09, 23:50   Link #62
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Underrated is right. The thing is, what can you talk about with a series like this, without going to eventual Touhou comparisons? :P (FLIPFLOPS! One of my favorite Touhou doujin groups)
Uh maybe the Subtext between Mayu and Yuzu? Since Mayu clearly has no interest in in the three girls who are opening interested in her .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 00:00   Link #63
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Uh maybe the Subtext between Mayu and Yuzu? Since Mayu clearly has no interest in in the three girls who are opening interested in her .
I'm kind of rooting for Gonta there.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 00:19   Link #64
Corwin_r

Send a message via MSN to Corwin_r
Hardly anything to grab on regarding possible subtext in this show. Biggest highlight for me is Shamo, she's the cutest girl in the show in my opinion, can't help but giggle every time she shows up.
Old 2011-08-10, 06:31   Link #65
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

For those curious of how the adaptation measures up to the source, a friend just uploaded Volume 1 of the manga on the usual place. Funny how things were shuffled around; for example, the first chapter is NOT about Shamo, but about Yoshino and her pot.
Old 2011-08-14, 23:58   Link #66
FateAnomaly

This is really fun to watch. Probably going to be one of my favourite this season. Shamo totally won me over with her first appearance at the convenience strore but all the other characters are pretty good too.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 04:29   Link #67
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
For those curious of how the adaptation measures up to the source, a friend just uploaded Volume 1 of the manga on the usual place. Funny how things were shuffled around; for example, the first chapter is NOT about Shamo, but about Yoshino and her pot.
The manga looks pretty fun. It's odd how they made the boss and worker from the bankrupt company recurring characters in the anime compared to their one appearance in the manga. I like the changes. Makes the changed chapters feel a little livelier.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 19:25   Link #68
Midonin
Last Engage

Mayu and Yuzu 06 - The Start of Something Old

Mostly a whole episode flashback, but like the dream episode, it's a nice change of pace to see the show's secondary plotline - how Yuzu and Mayu met and got started in the antiques business - come to light again. These two really do make a great pair. Yuzu's more calm than Mayu will ever be, but Mayu can see through things that Yuzu takes for granted. The supporting cast is a lot of fun, and I'm happy to see them on screen, but the strength of a show is the strength of its leads (at least in part), and these two can carry an entire episode on their own. Simple and sweet.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 23:23   Link #69
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

For some reason episodes dealing with the past seem to much more serious than the other ones ; the back-story to Mayu and Yuzu was good showing more sides of both of them. I agree with Midonin the two of them are the strength of the show.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 22:51   Link #70
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
And I was wondering, why no one posts about nekogami?

1. Forgot to subscribe!
2. No one posts

Anyway, I love the show, at leasts it is consistantly funny, unlike another show that has to decide whether it wants to be Qwaser or Narutaru
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 00:41   Link #71
FateAnomaly

There is something i don't get. Yuzu refuses to sell her father's antique because she wanted to sell it at a later date? What's the difference?

Yuzu sure is a genius at appraising. She is actually able to appraise purely by visual and without any tools. Even if the antique business don't work out, she would probably make her mark as a appraiser.
Old 2011-08-17, 01:01   Link #72
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think Yuzu just didn't want to sell her father's collections off piecemeal to brokers like the scumbag in this episode - she wanted to learn the business, reopen the shop and sell them to individual collectors like her Dad would have done.

This show really is a sleeper - very underrated.
Old 2011-08-17, 07:42   Link #73
Dop
Mmmm....

That's how I saw it, Yuzu wants to learn the trade so she can sell things on to people who will really appreciate them, not just speculators out to turn a quick profit like the guy who tried to steal the bowl.

Leaving the wacky ensemble comedy off to one side for an episode made for a really charming story from this mostly unappreciated show.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 09:38   Link #74
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

I think they did it pretty well with the previous episode in the dream showing her ability to find the most expensive antique reinforcing the point that she has already spent her entire childhood unconsciously learning about appraising antiques. That set the stage for this episode. Still they haven't shown how the 2 met though this episode was pretty close to that point since Yuzu decided to let mayu stay in this episode
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 22:52   Link #75
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
That's how I saw it, Yuzu wants to learn the trade so she can sell things on to people who will really appreciate them, not just speculators out to turn a quick profit like the guy who tried to steal the bowl.

Leaving the wacky ensemble comedy off to one side for an episode made for a really charming story from this mostly unappreciated show.
I guess that is the idea behind the cliche plot but in her own words she said she wanted to find new homes for the antiques. Speculating or normal sale made no difference to that objective. But i guess that doesn't rather matter. It doesn't reduce my enjoyment of the show.

Actually the question that arise that i am most curious about is what god is Mayu exactly.
Old 2011-08-18, 01:07   Link #76
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The Goddess of Lost and Forgotten Items.
Old 2011-08-18, 01:25   Link #77
FateAnomaly

Isn't that just her side power? I thought her real power is sealed.
Old 2011-08-18, 01:46   Link #78
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't think the anime has made that totally clear. But for the moment anyway, that's what she is!
Old 2011-08-18, 05:37   Link #79
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The Goddess of Lost and Forgotten Items.
Implied, but the title reminds me hilariously of Saint Aret the Lethecant from the Warhammer 40k RPG Dark Heresy. The main difference of course is that Mayu actually finds the lost items, while Aret makes sure the lost and hidden STAY lost and hidden (as they're usually very dangerous).
Old 2011-08-18, 13:46   Link #80
ujiuji

I like how Mayu's ability fits in with Yuzu's reason for wanting to continue with the family business, finding new homes for forgotten items. I suspect that when Yuzu first found Mayu that was also what Mayu felt herself to be, a lost & forgotten "stray cat". (Although we know her parents are keeping an eye on her from Heaven).
It's funny, for the first few minutes of the first episode I thought this show was horribly generic and clichéd and just dull. By the end of the episode I was looking forward to the next. As for reasons, well for a start Mayu is such a likeable "sad pile of laziness". So completely different from what I was expecting based on her character design. The show is funny, occasionally touching and/or heartwarming and leaves me with a smile on my face. An ability which shouldn't be undervalued.

Last edited by ujiuji; 2011-08-18 at 13:57. Reason: corrected typo.
ujiuji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shounen, supernatural