AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2008-06-17, 14:41   Link #2021
Eps~
Busy busy busy
*Graphic Designer

What a tragic start to this epic match. Poor Ribery then a penalty via a redcard and 1 - 0 for Italy. Although this referee rather sucks, he didn't stop the game when 1 italian guy was down, but he did when 1 french guy was down
Old 2008-06-17, 15:00   Link #2022
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I think what France needs to do is to play with a mindset of "if I cannot go to the quarterfinals, then Italy shouldn't go either", and aim for a tie, in the remaining minutes.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 15:25   Link #2023
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Well, as Holland scored and its 2-0 to Italy now, so Italy going to next stage.. but without some key play due to suspension.. Namely Gattuso and Pirlo ( and the zidane bull victim )
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 15:39   Link #2024
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Unfortunately for the Rumens, it looks over. Against the Dutchs they needed a surprising result and with a score like that (2-0 in both games), you cannot expect another Turkish experience there. So we have to congratulate Italy. At the end, if they had lost, it would be too disappointing to lose one champion after another in the first phase.
Old 2008-06-17, 15:42   Link #2025
Eps~
Busy busy busy
*Graphic Designer

Congratulazioni Italia
Old 2008-06-17, 15:57   Link #2026
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
French match was sealed when Ribery was down.

And fck, according to french football federation, Domenech will be here until 2010, here is the final blow to Trezeguet's career.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 16:11   Link #2027
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Well, as Holland scored and its 2-0 to Italy now, so Italy going to next stage.. but without some key play due to suspension.. Namely Gattuso and Pirlo ( and the zidane bull victim )
You really hate us, don't you?
It's ok being without Pirlo, atleast De Rossi and Aquilani will finally get playing time (hoping that Donadoni doesn't think of using Ambrosini again, which has been mediocre so far).

As for the game... well, I would have honestly preferred if we could play 11 vs 11, and it's a shame that Ribery got injuried as well, so I can't really say that we "dominated" or anything like that since the game became almost straightforward due to these episodes. I want to criticize Toni though, I still fail to understand why Donadoni is still having him play the entire game when it's clear that he's out of steam and has lost all his stamina (too many mistakes and too many wasted chances). Borriello should have been given playing time since he's phisically and tactically similar to Toni but with more pace in his legs. Oh and De Rossi was definetely man of match, not only for his goal but because he was everywhere both during the defence phase and also while attacking. This guy is shaping up to be one of the best and most complete midfieler around.

Also, I guess all the people who doubted that the Dutch guys would purposely lose should definetely apologize. Holland today proved not to only to be the best team at this point of the tournament, but also to be a fair, correct and honourable team.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 16:18   Link #2028
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Also, I guess all the people who doubted that the Dutch guys would purposely lose should definetely apologize. Holland today proved not to only to be the best team at this point of the tournament, but also to be a fair, correct and honourable team.
If it would only require a tie instead of a win, then, Dutchs might have played in that way. I don't remember the teams but it was not unheard of for European teams having controversially friendly-games.
Old 2008-06-17, 16:18   Link #2029
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
French match was sealed when Ribery was down.
Yeh, the red card was just icing on the cake.

Still I don't understand the Italian mentality for defending, they were one null up ahead and facing a 10-man French team without Ribery, surely you should [Mortal Kombat voice]FINISH IT[/Mortal Kombat voice] instead of waiting for a lucky free kick? Although I admit Toni can't score even if the goalkeeper decides to take a tea break during the match, so just get another striker and problem solved.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 16:38   Link #2030
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Yeh, the red card was just icing on the cake.

Still I don't understand the Italian mentality for defending, they were one null up ahead and facing a 10-man French team without Ribery, surely you should [Mortal Kombat voice]FINISH IT[/Mortal Kombat voice] instead of waiting for a lucky free kick? Although I admit Toni can't score even if the goalkeeper decides to take a tea break during the match, so just get another striker and problem solved.
My thoughts exactly. Our players relaxed too much (me and my friends were shouting at the TV everytime they would let France easily advance near the box despite being outnumbered), and Toni missed too much. He might have been a scoring machine with Bayern during the season, but he's clearly not in shape right now. Borriello needs to play, he's younger, faster and can still provide the same tactical approach (an offensive "tower" who can be both a finisher and also a link with the second forward and offensive midfielders). But I guess Donadoni will insist with Toni because he has experience while Borriello has none. Man, I wish he called Inzaghi. :|
Old 2008-06-18, 00:02   Link #2031
alamarco
Why hello there!

Seeing Ribery go off for France was a key element to Italy's win. He's probably France's most creative player in the midfield so losing him was a huge lose. However, Toni was having a field day. Not one France defender could guard him as he was always breaking lose.

I think Italy wont make it past Spain. Losing Gattuso is no big deal. Losing Pirlo is a huge lose. Italy's only creativity in the midfield was coming from Pirlo. Gattuso is defensive, Perotta is a man who knows how to get into good positions, and Ambrosini is garbage. I'm not sure on Aquilani's abilities. I know he plays for Roma, but I never seen him in action. De Rossi is great, but he's more of a hard worker type player. Our only hope would be for Cammoranesi to play a great game.
alamarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 00:20   Link #2032
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
Seeing Ribery go off for France was a key element to Italy's win. He's probably France's most creative player in the midfield so losing him was a huge lose. However, Toni was having a field day. Not one France defender could guard him as he was always breaking lose.

I think Italy wont make it past Spain. Losing Gattuso is no big deal. Losing Pirlo is a huge lose. Italy's only creativity in the midfield was coming from Pirlo. Gattuso is defensive, Perotta is a man who knows how to get into good positions, and Ambrosini is garbage. I'm not sure on Aquilani's abilities. I know he plays for Roma, but I never seen him in action. De Rossi is great, but he's more of a hard worker type player. Our only hope would be for Cammoranesi to play a great game.
Aquilani is set to be Italy's playmaker (along with Montolivo) as the old veterans retire, the guy definetely has skills, and he also had time to rest since he came from an injury in the last part of the season. Losing Pirlo is a blow but I am still confident that Roma's midfield (De Rossi, Aquilani, Perrotta) can pull it off just as well. Eventually there's still Camoranesi who can switch position and be the playmaker (he already did that a lot of times for Juventus this season when Zanetti got injuried). This has been our strenght at WC2006 and it has been our strenght during the qualification phase for this Euro as well. Almost all of the 23 players (provided they are physically fit, of course) could be among the starting eleven, which is also why Donadoni is doing a terrible job since he's not using them well, unlike Lippi did two years ago. Of course facing Spain is not going to be an easy job at all, specially when their strikers are enjoying a good moment of performance, but I atleast trust the guys to keep concentration. It will all depend from Donadoni, if he'll decide to use his brain once in a while he'll have the fit players start. Gamberini, Aquilani and Borriello need to play, in my opinion.
Old 2008-06-18, 04:15   Link #2033
Blaat

I have a feeling that Spain will choke when facing their fellow Mediterranean country, and I'm not talking about Greece. ^^
Old 2008-06-18, 07:11   Link #2034
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I have a feeling that Spain will choke when facing their fellow Mediterranean country, and I'm not talking about Greece. ^^
Not surprising, their defence looked dodgy even when playing Russia.

At this rate the final will probably be between those that staggered through their group stages: Italy and Germany. (I reserve the right to take this lousy prediction into the dustbin. ) Though ideally, I'd like to see at least Netherlands in the final as well.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 08:44   Link #2035
Isegrim

The UEFA has banned Jogi Löw from the touchline for tomorrow's match against Portugal. Seems that assistant coach Hansi Flick will take over.
Old 2008-06-18, 08:49   Link #2036
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
At this rate the final will probably be between those that staggered through their group stages: Italy and Germany.
I have no doubt in my mind that this is going to be the final. Italy is really pulling a France 2006 and behold the first team they meet in the knock-out stages is Spain, coincidence? I think not. No idea how they'll get passed the Netherlands in the semi-final but they'll do it.
Old 2008-06-18, 09:26   Link #2037
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

>_>

I wouldn't count on Italy making it to the finals as long as Donadoni is coaching. I'd rather stay down to earth, specially considering we had a rough start. Of course I hope they do make it there, but I am not expecting anything impressive from them. My expectations are for the (hopefully) renewed team Italy that will show up at next World Cup, when we'll finally have a lot of new blood playing (the current U-21 team, basically), and most of the old veterans will have finally retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isegrim View Post
The UEFA has banned Jogi Löw from the touchline for tomorrow's match against Portugal. Seems that assistant coach Hansi Flick will take over.
I still don't get why Löw got sent off in first place. This Euro has been featuring quite an awful refereeing in many games.
Old 2008-06-18, 13:33   Link #2038
alamarco
Why hello there!

Donadoni isn't that bad of a coach. When he was at Livorno he was probably the top coach in Serie A. He kept them close to competing with the top teams in Serie A and this was evident because as soon as he left Livorno they went to shit. I think because of Lippi's success everyone is giving him a hard time when it's well known he doesn't have as good as a team as Lippi. Not only did Totti retire (selfishly I might add), but Cannavaro got injured (damn you Chiellini). So Donadoni is without our top playmaker and our top defender.

Glad to hear Aquilani's a playmaker. Hopefully he can start in place of Pirlo because I really dislike Ambrosini. I don't even think he should of been called up, let alone having match time. Lippi didn't pick Ambrosini for a reason.

As for Löw, I think that's ridiculous. There was really no problems in the Austria vs Germany match and if I recall correctly both coaches even shook hands before going into the stands.
alamarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 14:34   Link #2039
Eps~
Busy busy busy
*Graphic Designer

1 - 0 for Russia so far. Ibrahimović is still showing injuries
Old 2008-06-18, 14:59   Link #2040
Isegrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post

As for Löw, I think that's ridiculous. There was really no problems in the Austria vs Germany match and if I recall correctly both coaches even shook hands before going into the stands.
The guys of the UEFA got hold on the wrong end of the stick. The official press release by the DFB ( here in English ) isn't complete - the German news also contains that according to the UEFA, the handshake showed neither Löw nor Hickersberger understood their misbehaviour ( here, in weird official German).

Tags
football, soccer