AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-18, 23:58   Link #1
StoneCloud

Suggestions

I want to get into some new anime but don't really know what is new and good out there right now. Nor do I know where to download it and what fansubs to use.

If anyone would be kind enough to help me out I would greatly appreciate it
Old 2009-01-19, 00:01   Link #2
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Erm.. There is a suggestions forum

http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

You can't really go wrong where to download anime =/ You're are in an anime forum that hosts links where to download them. www.animesuki.com
Old 2009-01-19, 00:07   Link #3
StoneCloud

New Stuff

I've been away from that anime world for a while because of school but now I'm free and got lots of time. Can anyone tell me some good new series that are out and who subs them??
Old 2009-01-19, 21:46   Link #4
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Yes, but what do you like? We could throw a suggestion out into the air and wonder if it will ever hit, or you could tell us some of your favorites so we could gauge your taste.
Old 2009-01-20, 04:57   Link #5
Xichito

Give us some animes you enjoy watching
Old 2009-01-20, 16:27   Link #6
StoneCloud

Here's a list of the ones I've watched and liked so far:
Code Geass
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Black Lagoon
Ergo Proxy
Bleach
Fullmetal Alchemist
Samurai Champloo
Evangelion
Paranoia Agent
Eureka 7
almost any Gundam series
Shuffle
Cowboy Bebop
Ouran High School Host Club

I also just started watching Vampire Knight and Rosario + Vampire which are good

any others I should check out??
Old 2009-01-20, 22:08   Link #7
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Hmm, you like a lot of series that I like.

I found the Full Metal Panic! series to be a very entertaining series with an excellent mix of action, comedy, etc. The first season is good, but not mind blowing. The comedic spin-off Fumoffu! is one of the funniest anime of all time to me, and the Second Season is great mecha stuff. It's not the newest thing in the world though.

The recently finished series Kurozuka is a dark, well done series with supernatural elements set in both Feudal Japan and the modern world. Some people say it's the best thing last season, you could find out on your own.

And although your list doesn't list too many slice-of-life shows, perhaps you would enjoy Michiko to Hatchin? It's a comedy-drama with a very unique setting by Manglobe (Samurai Champloo, Ergo Proxy -- both on your list) and Bebop's Watanabe is involved as a music producer.

Oh, and you could try Dennou Coil; part slice-of-life, full blown scifi, and a very interesting anime with good characters and high production values. It's very well liked by those who had the luck to watch it, including me.

Edit: How could I forgot? If you haven't seen it yet (not on your list), GO WATCH TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN! Epic mecha action + good comedy + (epicness x epicness)² = >:-I
Old 2009-01-20, 23:21   Link #8
StoneCloud

Kurozuka looks like an awesome show (I'm downloading it as we speak). I'm interested in both Michiko to Hatchin and Dennou Coil but torrents are being a bitch to find for them. Do you know what groups sub them??

I've seen a few episodes of FMP a while back, I'm gonna rent it on netflix soon. And I've heard good things about Gurren Lagann, is that licensed yet??
Old 2009-01-21, 08:16   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCloud View Post
I'm interested in both Michiko to Hatchin and Dennou Coil but torrents are being a bitch to find for them. Do you know what groups sub them? And I've heard good things about Gurren Lagann, is that licensed yet?
Have you visited the AS main page yet at www.animesuki.com? If you check out the series list you'll find the entry for Dennou Coil, along with nearly every other unlicensed English-subbed series. The subs from Ureshii are complete; Anime-Kraze began releasing a new series a few month's back.

You won't find Michiko to Hatchin there, though, because it's an MFI series. That said it didn't take long for me to find subs through Google.

Gurren Lagann is licensed.
Old 2009-01-21, 20:19   Link #10
StoneCloud

alright I wasn't entirely sure what the MFI thing meant. I found Dennou Coil it just took a while to find the torrent on the Ureshii site that it links you to.

Guess I'll have to rent both FMP and Gurren Langann

thanks
Old 2009-01-21, 22:54   Link #11
StoneCloud

Kurozuka is amazing! I'm only 3 episodes into it but I'm loving it

Dennou Coil I'm gonna have to give some time to get into the story, but I liked what I saw in the first episode.

I also started watching Soul Eater, kinda reminds me of FMA a little and I'm really liking that too.

Are there any other anime's that I am missing? Feel free to throw some in that are not in my usual genres.
Old 2009-01-21, 23:15   Link #12
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Quote:
Kurozuka is amazing! I'm only 3 episodes into it but I'm loving it

Dennou Coil I'm gonna have to give some time to get into the story, but I liked what I saw in the first episode.

I also started watching Soul Eater, kinda reminds me of FMA a little and I'm really liking that too.

Are there any other anime's that I am missing? Feel free to throw some in that are not in my usual genres.
Dennou Coil (in my opinion) does not truly start until after episode 15/16. The earlier episodes are just introductions to the whole system and the different kids.

Here are some shows that are a bit different than what you have watched (but are truly great series)
Mushishi-Licensed (netflix has though or you can watch on FUNimation's website online)- Great episodic series about Ginko and his adventure helping people with "Mushi" related problems.

Nodame Cantabile- (You can find torrents of this on the front page)- If you like/enjoy/have experience playing an instrument, this is a great show. It is about a girl who plays the piano and a guy who wants to become a conductor.

Kaiba- SciFI (not licensed)- This is a series, that contains unique animation, about a man Kaiba waking up without any memores, and the only clue he has is a pendant with an unknown picture of a woman. Kaiba travels around different worlds regaining his memories, and meeting different kinds of people, and slowly learns about his tragic past.
Old 2009-01-22, 01:46   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
All those lovely ladies in the gallery down there are links to Wikipedia pages for various series. Browse your mouse over them for some suggestions.

Warning: Wiki pages have spoilers; tread carefully.

For something unlike anything you've seen, I suggest spending $7 at RightStuf for Goblin Cat, a three-episode mature story about an itinerant apothecary who also happens to slay demons. The stunning, psychedelic animation in this show is topped off by a superlative acting performance from Sakurai Takahiro (currently voicing Genji). The unlicensed series, Mononoke, continues the apothecary's story. Beware, though, that the final arc of Mononoke is a (very different) re-telling of the "Goblin Cat" story, so you might want to spring for the seven bucks to watch the original first.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-01-22 at 02:00.
Old 2009-01-22, 22:43   Link #14
StoneCloud

Goblin Cat looks really different but good. Seriously considering shelling out $7 for that.

Also wanna get into Tale of Genji, who subs it? kuz there are no torrents on the main site
Old 2009-01-23, 09:17   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1368.html

It's listed under "G" for Genji Monogatari Senneki. Some of the listings on AS are in Japanese; some in English, Antique Bakery, for instance. I'm not sure what determines the name that's used. I remember having a conversation with xris about this at one point, but I don't recall the details.
Old 2009-01-24, 12:43   Link #16
andromeda0201

Some recent ones you could try out:
Ga-Rei Zero - a short action/drama with great animation and very good character development, Yomi is definitely a protagonist you wont forget in a hurry

Itazura na Kiss - since you seem to like high school romance comedies, you may want to try out this classic shoujo, though the special element about this is that it spans from high school up to marriage

Seto no Hanayome - hilarious mermaid comedy

Baccano - I'm not sure if this is licensed, but you could give it a try. One of the best series to be released in the last 2 years, combines mafia, alchemy, gore and a strong cast of characters

Some other recommendations here are the licensed ones, but if you can get hold of them, they are definitely worth a try:
Darker than Black
xxxHoLiC
Towards the Terra
Hunter X Hunter
Seirei no Moribito
Old 2009-01-24, 13:29   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Baccano! is licensed by Funimation; the first disc comes out at the end of this month. I'll be onboard.

Episodes were available for download at http://www.funimation.com/, but I can't seem to find my way back to them again. (Funi's site is one of the most difficult to navigate of any web site I've ever visited.) I don't know if the downloadable copies have been removed since the DVD is coming out, or if I just can't find them. At the time they were charging about $2/episode, though you need a player that supports Microsoft Silverlight and its associated DRM; no help for us Linux users, I'm afraid.

My copy of Seirei no Moribito (1-7) just arrived today; it's running about $4/episode at DVDPacific. There's a lot of empty space left in the collector's box, too, enough for seven discs total to cover the 26 episodes. You'd hardly know Moribito even exists if you visit Media Blasters site. This is all Google can find about the title there. My own efforts were equally fruitless.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-01-24 at 13:55.
Old 2009-01-24, 22:21   Link #18
StoneCloud

just finished Kurozuka and I thought it was amazing. Now gonna start watching either Ga-Rei Zero or Vampire Knight. Hopefully they'll be as good as Kurozuka was
Closed Thread