AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-14, 14:57   Link #181
kitten320

Sadly for me the ending arc with Nagisa in season 1 was really boring and my original mark 10 for show went down to 9... almost 8... I don't have anything against her, really... but she takes blame on herself way TOO much! I so wanted to smack her on the stage, because even though she was kinda hurt and all, she was putting everyone's else efforts to waste. She is simply overreacting way too much. Good thing her father came just in time to snap her out of it...

That side of hers (taking whole blame on herself) really reminds me of my younger sister, don't even want to start on how many arguments we had before she finally stopped saying that!

So yeh, I do have my personal reasons for disliking Nagisa at some point... Although I do admit that she did a lot of good things and her interection with Fuko was one of the best moments so I can't say anything really negative about her.

Hope she really has improved in season 2.
Old 2010-01-14, 14:59   Link #182
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
She does. I was actually the same as you. I thought Tomoyo and Kyou were way better, but after watching season 2 I now actually like Nagisa more than those two.
Old 2010-01-14, 15:03   Link #183
kitten320

Well will see then because for now the characters I like are Tomoyo, Kyou, Tomoya, Sunohara, Kotomi, Fuko, Misae... Botan

Although Nagisa's parents are also good^^
Old 2010-01-14, 15:17   Link #184
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Sadly for me the ending arc with Nagisa in season 1 was really boring and my original mark 10 for show went down to 9... almost 8... I don't have anything against her, really... but she takes blame on herself way TOO much! I so wanted to smack her on the stage, because even though she was kinda hurt and all, she was putting everyone's else efforts to waste. She is simply overreacting way too much. Good thing her father came just in time to snap her out of it...

That side of hers (taking whole blame on herself) really reminds me of my younger sister, don't even want to start on how many arguments we had before she finally stopped saying that!

So yeh, I do have my personal reasons for disliking Nagisa at some point... Although I do admit that she did a lot of good things and her interection with Fuko was one of the best moments so I can't say anything really negative about her.

You will see the difference between Nagisa from the first season and Nagisa from the second. When I first watched Clannad, I didn't see Nagisa as anything special but after watching After Story, Nagisa became my favorite female lead in this respective genre so I hope you go through the same experience as I did.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-01-14, 15:23   Link #185
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
In contrast, I began watching Clannad because of Yuuichi Nakamura, who is Tomoya Okazaki's voice actor

For those who wondered why I was gone (I know most will not care ) Well I just got back from my lengthy vacation so I'm back to posting as often as I did before
Oh, no wonder why you weren't raining destruction on the other thread. j/k

Anyhow, Clannad had a painfully shy girl that likes cute stuff, voiced by Mai Nakahara, twins, and also a sweet little kid voiced by Yukari Tamura. This surface similarity to another show I love very much just was coincidental to help matters.

There's also the fact that I randomly came across a clip of that scene of Nagisa "confessing" to Ryou. It was funny, and something I considered cute or some call "moe" as it is seems to be the trend, which at the time wasn't too common of a thing for me. (Usually it makes me cringe lol)

kitten320:

Your reaction to Nagisa is pretty similar to many people who have finished the first season that I know. It'll all come in good time... hopefully. But she definitely does take a change for the better.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-01-15, 02:07   Link #186
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Nagisa's actions and choices are explained in her past. She is a weak person physically and mentality because of that. Her belief in blaming herself is completely understandable to me seeing where she is coming from in her mind set. I didn't understand why people were so angry that she felt this, it makes sense concerning her character.
Old 2010-01-15, 05:31   Link #187
kitten320

She still over reacts too much. As side character she is great but when she became the big centere, that side of hers was shown WAY too much... and as I said she does remind me of someone, and that part of character was really pissing me off back then.
Old 2010-01-15, 14:52   Link #188
DeX-kun

Quote:
She still over reacts too much. As side character she is great but when she became the big centere, that side of hers was shown WAY too much... and as I said she does remind me of someone, and that part of character was really pissing me off back then.
Just finish watching After Story, please. You keep speaking of her character when you haven't finished experiencing the rest of her development. Nagisa becomes much more than what she was in the first season, there is a reason why Tomoya and Nagisa are one of, if not, the best pairing that I've seen to this day. I'm not sure if there will be another romance anime out there that will be able to come close to the type of relationship Tomoya and Nagisa built.

Either way, just finish After Story and then come back and post your thoughts on her character. I'm interested in seeing how you feel about Nagisa after watching the second season, not before. There is still much to see.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-01-15, 16:10   Link #189
kitten320

Well I'm at episode 11 already, nothing much has changed so far... will continue watching.
Old 2010-01-15, 19:55   Link #190
kitten320

Alright, I just have seen Nagisa's death and well... it was very sad T_T

Although I didn't really see any big changes in her character... but she does earn my respect and in all truthulness she didn't deserve to die. There are not much good people like her, the world is really unfair...

Atleast she died with smile on her face, rest in peace Nagisa.
Old 2010-01-15, 20:12   Link #191
DeX-kun

Quote:
Alright, I just have seen Nagisa's death and well... it was very sad T_T

Although I didn't really see any big changes in her character... but she does earn my respect and in all truthulness she didn't deserve to die. There are not much good people like her, the world is really unfair...

Atleast she died with smile on her face, rest in peace Nagisa.
Nagisa's character development was subtle but significant. If you noticed, Tomoya and Nagisa kind of switched positions in After Story. Tomoya was extremely worried and was pessimistic the whole time that Nagisa was sick and Nagisa was the support for Tomoya, she became strong enough to become Tomoya's support this time around. This is something that I was impressed with in After Story, there were times where I expected Nagisa to react a certain way but she remained calm and collected.
Spoiler for Nagisa:

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-01-15, 20:21   Link #192
kitten320

Well I do compliment her for that, for overcoming the border of uncertainity^^

Tomoya was really lucky and so was she, it is good that she had passed away with no saddness and regrets.

So yes I do respect her, but there still is missing something for me to put her really high in the rating... don't really know what =/

But she is a good character and there really is no reason to hate her.
There should be more people like her.
Old 2010-02-25, 21:59   Link #193
mumuja

I love Nagisa i think she's a very well developed character!!

but what i love most about her is the fact that she's really determined to get what she wants!! she wanted the drama club back on track and she got it!!
Old 2010-02-25, 22:05   Link #194
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumuja View Post
I love Nagisa i think she's a very well developed character!!

but what i love most about her is the fact that she's really determined to get what she wants!! she wanted the drama club back on track and she got it!!
Don't forget about her resiliency. Remember the year that Tomoya and most of the others graduated and the drama club was closed down again. Nagisa was discouraged but continued to work hard and finally graduated

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-08-25, 15:10   Link #195
ThreeWayLover

Nagisa is my all time favorite. Not sure if I spelt her name wrong.
Old 2010-08-25, 15:57   Link #196
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Don't forget about her resiliency. Remember the year that Tomoya and most of the others graduated and the drama club was closed down again. Nagisa was discouraged but continued to work hard and finally graduated
That part was inspiring as well, I forgot, did they hold a ceremony for Nagisa (Tomoya after calling everyone?)
Old 2010-08-26, 03:39   Link #197
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Mmhm. indeed. 10 chars.
Old 2010-08-26, 11:37   Link #198
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
While I like Nagisa and consider her a good character (seriously, Clannad doesn't really have bad characters at all), but I have a lot of issues with her and how she affected the story in various ways.

My biggest beef is that she's like the ultimate wish-fulfillment fantasy for the average Japanese male. She's an Ill Girl. She's adorable--in both personality and appearance. She's soft-spoken. She's demure (though, she does learn to be stubborn through her Character Development). She's shy and very, very moe. She blames herself for everything and is self-conscious and overly modest to the point of shattering suspension of disbelief. She's obnoxiously chaste (Tomoya falls into this bizarre category as well).

However, through the various things she goes through, and thanks to Tomoya's support in the first season, Nagisa evolves from a vapid, useless bit of fluff into a much more confident and strong young woman.

Seriously, at first, I hated her. I kept wishing Tomoya would start chasing Kyou or Tomoyo around instead of her. Kyou has loads of confidence and her personality is very strong; Tomoyo exudes an air of cool, collected competence. Both of them felt like better people, but as the series progressed and Nagisa underwent a metric asston of character development, I started liking her a lot more--and started cheering her on more and more.

In After Story, Nagisa was like a totally different character. She was just so much stronger of mind and personality it was almost eerie. I think the two major turning points for Nagisa... completing her play and overcoming her self-imposed guilt about derailing her parents' dreams, and hearing Tomoya confess to her... those two things drove her character development into overdrive.

Now that I've finished the series, I find that I'm really fond of Nagisa. I had this same sort of experience with another show and another character--with Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, at first I hated Teana Lanster--typical tsundere twintail girl, annoying and stupid. But as the show progressed and she received two thousand tons of character development, by the time I finished watching it, Teana became my favorite character out of the entire third season cast.