AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Myself; Yourself

Notices

View Poll Results: Myself; Yourself - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 63 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 43 29.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 11.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 6.12%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.04%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.36%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.36%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 5.44%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-12, 02:30   Link #61
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post

As for the Les thing: I expected it. Not much of a suprise, actually. (although the timing was VERY bad.)
I totally agree with this statement, it did not even really jolt me one bit. This doesn't even compare to what happened in School days... During that show I was constantly punching a wall because of Makoto's stupidity. Ah, the reason this wasn't unexpected was because Asami showed absolutely zero interest in a romantic relation with Sana throughout this entire show. They looked like simple friends to me.
Old 2007-12-12, 02:35   Link #62
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I think it's a nice twist. I always love seeing otherwise normal girls show their true color like that. Then again, Myself Yourself always played out like a TV soap opera. Fine by me.
Old 2007-12-12, 02:43   Link #63
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Ah, the reason this wasn't unexpected was because Asami showed absolutely zero interest in a romantic relation with Sana throughout this entire show. They looked like simple friends to me.
I don't get why this is so important. I'm sure that girls can be friends with boys without being lesbians...
Aoi and Hinako also showed no romantic interest in Sana. That doesn't mean anything.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2007-12-12, 02:55   Link #64
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

I don't get why everyone is so mad at this plot twist. Before this episode, Asami was a plot device, no more, no less (this may be hard to swallow, but it's true). With the twins' exodus, Asami won't be having an important role ever again. I'm grateful they gave her character SOMETHING. As for it being totally random or not, I'm planning to re-watch all of the episodes containing Asami to see if there were any subtle hints that were overlooked.
Old 2007-12-12, 04:35   Link #65
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Hm, mixed feelings about this one. I wasn't really feeling the whole "Asami divulges everything in an 8 minute monologue," they could've spiced that up a bit.

I was kind of surprised that it was her even though I knew about her character bio. Unfortunately that's the only development Asami will get, and now she's done...

I hope the game executes this better and has better resolution.

Now Sana and Nanaka. Too be honest I think ep 12 will be a snoozer unless we finally get some info on Sana's elusive past.

I think this show is doing what it can in its limited episodes. It would've been better if they had some extra episodes to work with to let stuff marinate.
Old 2007-12-12, 06:35   Link #66
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Even after watching the said episode, I cannot use any other word than absurdity.

The whole deal with Asami is completely silly. I don't have any problem with lesbians. I don't have any issue with "dark" characters. What is actually erratic is the execution and how deceiving they portrayed a character until now. Don't get me wrong: characters changing completely aren't a problem either (see Tsukihime), but it is exactly what I mean: how a character is done like this, changing completely the said image without the proper "transition".
Asami was a plot device for some characters here and there. Indeed, there wasn't any solid "romantic interest" towards Sana, but there weren't any solid hints for Shuuri either. What is actually annoying is how they used a complete off topic and random plot "arc (Granny Kaji) to forcefully pull that revelation out of nowhere.

Asami's speech was not only long, but forcing many things which were obviously not a natural aftermath. Plot twist can work if they aren't seen coming, but they have to make sense as well. In M;Y case, it doesn't for me, because the way Asami explodes, as a result of a random accident isn't convincing at all.
And her reasons to reveal that to Sana are even more shaddy, but heh...
And before you use that cheap explanation: no, reading a game profile isn't supposed to justify this stuff. I already read Asami's profile, and I was expecting something, but not of that scale, nor at that kind of timing.
If you have to read a spoiler/external information to understand the actions of a character, It isn't exactly logical.

Still on Asami, if you are to check the hints before while you already know what will happen, it isn't convincing either. Considering the knowledge, any "subtle" hints can be seen anywhere. If a weird hint was to be spotted before and get all its meaning with this revelation, it is fair enough. But checking any hint which didn't make sense or obviously overlook without the said knowledge is not a proof of "foreshadowing".

The follow up is probably how both arc (Kaji and Asami) are twisting with the Wakatsuki twins arcs altogether. Though their feelings were build up, the situation wasn't. Asami's accident accelerated the things from nowhere, and suddenly, we got a non conclusive end for the twins. We won't know what will happen with their father, we don't now how they will live (considering how they are reckless, they will surely have to overcome lots of hardship). Even their feelings are pretty much vague.
And still, the revelation of Shuusuke's yell wasn't convincing either, considering that Sana still remembered it and could ask anytime. (In fact, it really surprised me that after what he discovered about Nanaka, that Sana didn't actually check out what Shuusuke wanted to say).

The episode avoided a complete disaster with a well executed "run away" of the twins with Sana running like nuts to stop them.
But that's it. the rest is completely on the left field: the execution forces a lot of false drama.
Asami's character is pending between "plot device" and "plot device enhanced". She isn't a character by herself, but she is some trigger for others, that's all. A character with some random revelation doesn't become a "true character" for the hell of it. A revelation of this caliber doesn't give any substancial point for the said character, especially if this revelation will be used for others characters "development". That's the reason why I can't consider Asami as a character on her own.
Yet, we will probably won't know what will happen to Kaji (not that I care much to be honest), and so forth.

We still have some things to resolve (namely Sana), and we still didn't see anything about Aoi (aside of being useless) and Hinako, who completely disappear.
Old 2007-12-12, 06:48   Link #67
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I kind of see that coming for the twins when i saw the preview last week.And Asami,oh that girl seriously reminded me of Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde.I studied that damn story for a year.Funny,i should be shocked at the revelations but i dont find it surprising regarding Asami,since most of the animes i watched recently have either wtf ending or an incomplete one.I have this bad feeling that something terrible will happen to the twins.Like them losing their lives or something.
Old 2007-12-12, 09:37   Link #68
Chewy

Well I can't sit here and defend the show against those who thought the twist was just too much. It worked for me, but I understand it might not always work for you. Some people seem to be angry that there wasn't enough hints and Asami going lesbian/dark seems absurd. But were there any solid evidence that she was straight/not dark in the first place ? Were we just making assumptions about her character based on every other anime we've seen ? They've revealed nothing about her so far except for really superficial information, so is this absurdity just them contradicting our own assumptions of her character with this episode ?

This is the kind of stuff Nakazawa likes to pull (yes I know the anime isn't directly related to him, but I'm sure he had some influence), although done at a much higher level. He plays off your assumptions, and builds on those assumptions by tossing you red herrings that seem to solidify them. Before long you don't even consider the alternative because your mind is used to this assumption even though the game itself never explicitly stated it, then he'll drop the bomb on you. Anyone who's played Ever17 and especially Remember11 can attest to this.

I agree with you guys. It could have been done better, but I just don't think it's THAT "out of left field" to the point of absurdity. Maybe I saw it coming, maybe I just like dark characters and was happy Asami got developed as one, who knows... we all have our own motivations to argue our own points.

Last edited by Chewy; 2007-12-12 at 10:47.
Old 2007-12-12, 10:17   Link #69
changeup

Spoiler for ... :
Old 2007-12-12, 10:25   Link #70
UPR

I understand how many could not see this development as good thing or very weird. But, many are always complaining that everything was so cliche ,and they saw it coming. And when are they going to do something new. Well this was not seen by many people. Not many could have foreseen this. And yet complaining always shows. Yes, it could have been done better ,but if were to have been revealed that it was the step-mother then there would have been a bigger uproar. And more dissapointment because it would have been obvious. This was not.
Old 2007-12-12, 11:01   Link #71
Saleh
Inactive

As many have said before AsamixSyuri relationship wasn't exactly out of the blue. Even though Asami relationship didn't have ample foreshadowing there were few hints like Asami crying in OP, Asami blushing in ep3 & ep7 ( she doesn't usually blush) ... to support her current relationship (I do agree that there wasn't sufficient character development, only hints). Only thing in from character profile was Asami's nature which gave a hint about who sent the letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Episode 11: That was expected. (Prepares shield to block eggs thrown at him)

I think there's nothing special in this episode, so I'll just follow the discussion for now.
Having very low expectations can be wonderful sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnydee View Post
aw man i thought this episode was gonna reveal sana's secret...and i just noticed something, sana and nanaka have the same eye color, lol wat if they're siblings.
Then we should expect Asami, Aoi & Hinako to be cousins since they have same eye colour.

Old 2007-12-12, 16:20   Link #72
Phoenix14
Clannad

Slightly depressing episode.
Old 2007-12-12, 16:45   Link #73
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPR View Post
I understand how many could not see this development as good thing or very weird. But, many are always complaining that everything was so cliche ,and they saw it coming. And when are they going to do something new. Well this was not seen by many people. Not many could have foreseen this. And yet complaining always shows. Yes, it could have been done better ,but if were to have been revealed that it was the step-mother then there would have been a bigger uproar. And more dissapointment because it would have been obvious. This was not.
Yep...people can never be pleased

I can only see this as a pleasant surprise really...So many anime series (especially romance) have gotten boring with the same reused cliches, this is just a new breath of fresh air. The sudden turn of events is something rarely seen and this is actually done well imo (sudden yes but our of place no...the explination is logical - Asami has been working from the shadows all along, what fun would it be if we knew that she was yuri in the first place? ).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-12-12, 17:22   Link #74
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

This week's preview of the oh-so-wonderful Myself; Yourself~

Spoiler for ep12 episode preview (just 2 episodes until the end~):

Short... -_-

Spoiler for thoughts in spoiler because sub is not out:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2007-12-12, 17:28   Link #75
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
This week's preview of the oh-so-wonderful Myself; Yourself~

Spoiler for ep12 episode preview (just 2 episodes until the end~):

Short... -_-

Spoiler for thoughts in spoiler because sub is not out:
Spoiler for 12:
Old 2007-12-12, 19:34   Link #76
Snuffle
likes cute things

I do agree with some people that this ep feels forced. I kinda expected Asami was the one that sent the letter, but didn't expect her to be yuri But.. what can ya do? They tried to do to much within a 13 ep series. If not that, then it's just poor direction i suppose.

I decided to give it a 9 because of the fabulous (imo) musical score. Especially when Sana was yelling at Shuu (and Shuri?) in the train. It was the violin right? sigh... just love it, my favorite instrument... Wish i knew how to play it

BTW.. about that violin at the end, didn't it seem to be cut off? Sounded to abrupt to me

Last edited by Snuffle; 2007-12-12 at 19:46.
Old 2007-12-12, 19:37   Link #77
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

ok... the whole psycho lesbian thing came out of no where... There was only one scene where they showed her having concern for Shuri... and that was it... they were expecting us to believe this whole thing off of that? really bad story telling....

Oh well, at least they gave twincest.
Old 2007-12-12, 20:39   Link #78
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well get a plot twist that really seemed to knock people right out of their seats. I'll definitely say that I never saw this coming. Sure if you look back tiny things here and there that could in hindsight make you think "oh ok, that makes some sense". But either your really perceptive or just guessed out of the blue and nailed it on the head.

Really wasn't upset by it and just kept on following the episode to the conclusion. Asami definitely got a bigger role than just being a vehicle for Nanaka's jealousy. Now obviously some aren't going to be satisfied, but that's just how things like this are. Either you love it or you are just angry about the whole thing.

Anyways seeing Asami's character, things just grew until they were unleashed into a horrible situation. Really putting out there that keeping things locked up can lead to a horrible explosion down the road. A mixture of emotions stirring inside of her for so long and that ferris wheel was the place where the shell that held all of it in broke down. Going to be a long road for her to recover. Will only hit harder once she finds out Shuu and Shuri ran off.

Anyways can understand telling the others about the London situation right before going. Know that if they revealed the whole plan they may have tried to stop them, so this was the best goodbye that they could go with. Sana did pick things up before it was too late. Calling out to them before they got onto the train and then chasing it down on bike. Music was top notch and just added to the situation. Finally got to see what Shuu said back then, even if they aren't all together that friendship will remain.

Of course now wonder just what will happen from here on out. Seems like they will just have enough time to wrap up Nanaka and Sana's past. Unless Hinako jumps in for a surprise conclusion or Aoi reveals her deep plotting has given birth to all of this. Just where the twins will go and when will they ever come back is up in the air. Not an easy road they are walking on, but they wouldn't allow separation no matter what.

So I enjoyed this one. Certainly I didn't see the Asami situation coming, but oh well. A charged farewell and got some answers and that's fine for me.
Old 2007-12-12, 20:46   Link #79
Kristen
*Author

I'm going to give this episode a 9, because I found it to be an entertaining and nice episode to watch, and seemed a bit more streamlined than a lot of the episodes 1-9. And Asami is a lesbian? I did not see that coming.

I just feel like this anime is doing all that it can in 13 episodes. Knowing what I do now, it could have definately used another 11 to slow down the pacing, increase some build ups, and expand some arcs. Like, I'm sure Aoi has more of a story than just being a charecter with a squeeky voice, and there's definately more to the teacher than she just handed out caramel as rewards. And I think the anime put Hinako in because they were planning on having her as a charecter, but they realized they just didn't have the time to include it in. That is probably why Asami's confession seemed so random, and a bunch of characters seem underdeveloped. Heck, it is still hard to grasp Sana's personality.

It was a great episode, but this series is too short for what it is trying to accomplish. It's probably to promote the game, but still, I'd like to have a full adaptation.
Old 2007-12-12, 20:47   Link #80
Midonin
Last Engage

Some episodes ago, I wrote a jokey little statement asking if Asami had "precognitive Sana sense". Given that everyone in the show stays together in their group, I may have to change that.

Precognitive Sana Shuri sense.

Asami really seemed hurt by the whole ordeal, as she should. Hopefully we get to see what she thinks now that Shuu and Shuri are off to who-knows-where. Seeing the group shot of Aoi, Nanaka and Sana alone reminded me of the first episode of the series. In a way, it's as if things are coming full circle. A strangely shaped circle with a few squiggly lines a few stains from where your drink spilled on it, but a circle. And Sana's in the center.

Aoi's been the only one in this show to mostly stay "background", except for the first episode and the occasional helping Hinako moments. Then again, if Asami wasn't all sweetness and light, perhaps the moeblob is hiding something too. Next episode should be interesting, starting with the changed atmosphere. Whatever comes of the ending...well, here's hoping there's hope.
Closed Thread